Author Topic: 'Monster Mode' a must in Motown  (Read 4626 times)

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
'Monster Mode' a must in Motown
« on: June 09, 2004, 09:47:21 AM »
Hey y'all!!!  

It is apparent to me that the upcoming Game 3 of the Finals will be the one that ultimately determines the eventual series victor...should 'Our Heroes' come away with the 'W' in Game 3, it will be exceedingly difficult for the younger, less-experienced Pistons to avoid the lengthening shadow of despondency that will surely be cast over them in the event of a defeat.

It is imperative that 'The Big Aristotle' come out with his game face on, as he did against SA in the famed 'Milk Money' 2000 WCF...as a Shaq-supporter, I know that he still has not yet put forth his best performance in this year's "winnin' time", even though for the most part he has played with energy and made major contributions to the winning ways of the LAL. Up to this point, I have not seen Shaq perform his "Godzilla Stride" in the playoffs this year,  as he does when he's really feeling it.  It's time to break out now - Shaq must rampage on Detroit just as Godzilla did on Tokyo, leaving only devastation in his wake. It's up to Shaq Daddy to deliver an M.D.E.-level performance for 'Our Heroes' to emerge from this series as 'The Champs'.  Nothing less will do, I think.  It has already been proven that the Pistons cannot contain 'The Pachyderm' - now the LAL must relentlessly feed the rock to him until the Pistons are battered into submission by the 'Unstoppable Juggernaut' that is Shaquille O'Neal.

I'll bet anything that Shaq is petitioning PJ for 'Luuuuuke' Walton to get more PT in the upcoming games...check out what 'The Big Historical' had to say about him in this L.A. Times article today:

This Kid Rocks as He Goes on Roll
By J.A. Adande, Los Angeles Time Staff Writer

Sounds the Detroit Pistons didn't want to hear:

• 19,000 fans in Staples Center chanting "Luuuuuke" and Luc Robitaille nowhere in sight.

• The postgame interview room moderator announcing "Luke Walton will be next."

Those were the noises that accompanied Luke Walton's breakout performance of the playoffs.

Better to judge by the sounds than the numbers, because the statistics weren't mind-blowing — seven points, eight assists, five rebounds and two blocked shots in 27 minutes of play. But it was the timing of plays, the effect they had on the Lakers' 99-91 victory over the Detroit Pistons in Game 2 of the NBA Finals that led to these sound bites:

"Luke Walton was phenomenal tonight," Piston Coach Larry Brown said.

"He just came in and had a monster performance," said Laker guard Kobe Bryant, who sent the game into overtime on a three-pointer with 2.1 seconds remaining.

"You can talk about my shot all night long, but without Luke in the game playing as well as he did, we wouldn't be in that position."

He even was the topic of postgame conversation between Shaquille O'Neal's mother and Denzel Washington's wife.

"Luke was all right," Lucille Harrison said. "He did good. I'm happy for him."

The sounds of success.

The funny thing is, Walton isn't much for words himself. He doesn't talk a whole lot, just enough to get his point across.

When Jack Ramsay first met him, Walton didn't say anything at all. Bill Walton brought his son, about 14 at the time, to an All-Star game and introduced the kid to the coach of Walton's 1977 NBA championship team. The father said Luke — christened for the nickname of Portland teammate Maurice Lucas — would be the best player of all his sons.

Ramsay asked Luke whether he was going to play in the NBA one day. Young Walton just nodded. A big, emphatic nod.

It takes that type of confidence to make an impact in the NBA Finals when you're a rookie who hasn't played in the previous two playoff games, and spent a total of eight minutes on the court in the four games before that.

Walton stayed sharp, working hard in the three-on-three games the reserves play after practice, then sticking around to take extra jump shots with shooting coach Bob Thate.

Still, there's a big difference between playing half-court games in a gym while the media concentrates on interviewing other players and being called upon to save a team from falling behind two games to none in the NBA Finals.

"Of course" he was nervous, Walton said.

"But I love stuff like this. I've always loved big games and I was just hoping I would get my chance."

OK, that's what he was thinking. But what was Coach Phil Jackson thinking, sending the kid into the fray with the Lakers trailing by a point late in the first quarter? We said Jackson needed to make a radical adjustment after the Lakers lost Game 1, and this was it.

"Maybe insanity is the best excuse," Jackson said. "I just needed somebody in there that could move the ball and had the ability to create things off the dribble. And Luke is a kid, a rookie. Of course you always worry about them getting calls offensively, having things happen right for them. And then, the other end of the floor, that they don't get overmatched defensively. But he held his own and actually was the player of the game, really, for us tonight."

The defensive end was the key. Normally, teams try to exploit Walton by posting him up with bigger players or trying to beat him off the dribble, and they force him out of the game.

At first, the Pistons went at him with Corliss Williamson. But Walton drew an offensive foul against Williamson, who pushed him away. He also forced a turnover when he jumped into the lane to help on Richard Hamilton, who lost the ball. In the fourth, he tipped away a layup by Hamilton.

By holding his own on defense, Walton could stay in to help the offense. He always has a knack for doing that with his ability to find the open man — especially O'Neal.

"It amazes me how he can give me the ball and guys that have been playing with me four, five, six years can't give me the ball," O'Neal said.

Walton got the ball to everyone Tuesday night. He found Karl Malone, who was fouled and made two free throws. Then he dished to his buddy Kareem Rush for a three-pointer. He drove and reached around a defender to pass to O'Neal for a dunk. He also made a nice bounce pass in traffic to O'Neal for another slam.

Walton's final assist came on a pass to O'Neal. In overtime, the Lakers led by six with 1 1/2 minutes remaining when O'Neal passed to Walton in the corner. Walton dribbled down the baseline and just when it appeared he was going to get in trouble he threw a look-away alley-oop to O'Neal for a two-hand dunk that cemented the Lakers' victory.

Amid all the passing he managed to make all three of his shots — on a pass from Fisher, an open three-pointer and a coast-to-coast layup off a defensive rebound.

The Lakers outscored the Pistons by three points after he entered in the first quarter, and went from a tie game to an eight-point lead when he came in for the final 9 1/2 minutes of the second quarter.

The fans serenaded him after every basket, every assist, every loose ball that he knocked to a teammate.

"LUUUUUKE."

J.A. Adande can be reached at j.a.adande@latimes.com

-RB

Shaq #1

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:06:35 AM »
I think game 4 will be much more important.  Game 3 I expect a hyped up Pistons squad and a tired Lakers squad.  Game 4 comes with an extra day of rest.  Game 4 is where I believe "our heros" will circle the wagons and make their stand.

I would love for the Lakers to win game 3 but I think the energy of the Pistons will be too much for them.  If the Lakers win game 4 I don't know what to expect in game 5.  Will the Lakers be focused to close out the Pistons or will they mail antoher one in?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:21:54 AM »
Hey WoW!  

I'm kind of with Ricko on this one...the LAL must win 2 of the 3 in Detroit.  This will give them back the home-court edge that may be needed for the Lakers' two-man game to be successful.  I still don't feel good about this series at all, yet - this was supposed to be a rout by the LAL at every level.  Not hardly!

-RB

Shaq #1

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 10:43:49 AM »
Hey WoW!  

I'm kind of with Ricko on this one...the LAL must win 2 of the 3 in Detroit.  This will give them back the home-court edge that may be needed for the Lakers' two-man game to be successful.  I still don't feel good about this series at all, yet - this was supposed to be a rout by the LAL at every level.  Not hardly!

-RB

Shaq #1
Lakers only need to win ONE in Detroit to get homecourt back.  They can and they will and close the series out at Staples.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with the idea that LA only needs 1 game in Detroit.

If LA gets only one game in Detroit, that means Detroit is in this series - and they shouldn't be.

Yes, 1 game in Detroit means that LA has home-court back.  But it also means the Lakers play a Game 7.  Sure, they have the edge, but ANYTHING can happen in Game 7 - a turned ankle, a bad landing, a jammed finger...ANYTHING.

When you want to beat a team that you're better than, you BEAT the team.

I had the series going 6, because I had Detroit taking only 2 of 3 at home, and the Lakers winning both games in LA.

Now?  Lakers in 5 is a reality, although Lakers in 6 is more probable.

Personally, I think the Pistons are going to be emotionally crushed after last night's game, because nothing is more frustrating than having something you value firmly in your grasp, and then having it taken from you.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 12:54:27 PM »
No doubt LA dodged a huge bullet, but they are not the only team to ever dodge a bullet in a big series, anymore than Detroit is the first team to totally collapse with the game well in hand, the difference between youth and inexperience versus massive amounts of playoff savvy and poise was never more evident than last night, LA took advantage of Detroits blowing their defensive assignment on LA's last possession and not fouling Shaq, the pick to shake Prince loose was huge and LA was better under the pressure, period. Granted, it was inexcusable for them to be in that position in the first place, if they would have played the defense they are capable of and demonstrated against the Spurs and Timberwolves, we wouldn't even be having this conversation, as it is, they allowed one of the most painfully pathetic offensive teams I have ever seen come back to take a lead and send Laker fans into cardiac arrest.

Detroit's monumental collapse in overtime may be shades of the demoralization Kobe's dagger inflicted on them for the rest of the series. Detroit had the game in hand, they were playing well, scoring at critical times, (OK except for the Billups miss) and overall playing with confidence, despite only shooting 39%, (just another day in the Piston's offensive scheme), and then Kobe shakes loose and hits from downtown, the Piston's curled into a fetal position and surrendered like the French confronted by a mad puppy. If that is an indicator of the way they react to blowing an opportunity and snatching defeat from the jaws of adversity, they may not recover by Thursday, if they don't and LA takes game 3, it could very well only go 5.

Kobe is reaching a status I never thought he could reach, that was a career defining shot.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 12:56:46 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:00:40 PM »
Joe,

You ignorant slut.

I bleive the Lakers are a better team but they are also older and they are looking the part.  Most notably Karl Malone.  His knee is obviously a problem and he's not able to contribute in any way except passing.  The Lakers bench is not as good as the Pistons in regards to front court players.  The back court bench is just as good if not better than the Pistons.  

The similarities between the 2004 Finals and the 1998 and 2001 finals is eerie.

1998: Pistons stun the Lakers in game one convincingly.  Game 2 is a struggle mostly because of Magic having the flu.  Lakers look old and tired.  In the end they won the series in 7 but it was in fact an old champ HOLDING on to the title after a very long season.  The 1989 Lakers team was a MUCH better playoff team than the 1988 squad, injuries just came at the wrong time.

2001: Sixers stun the Lakers after the unstopable juggernaught can't handle the quickness and ball pressure employed by Larry Brown.  Game 2 is about revenge and putting the Sixers in their place YET the Sixers go toe to toe with the Lakers and it's a close game.  Lakers switch turns on in Philly and they punk the Sixers for three strait on their own home court.

IMO this series will look more like 1988 than 2001.

I don't think the Pistons will feel the effect of the loss in game 3, the Pistons will come out with super-hype energy and hustle and smack down the Lakers.  The Lakers will focus and regroup for game 4.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 01:31:47 PM »
WayOut,

I don't buy into "older and looking the part."  I never have.  Maybe it comes from too many years of hearing how Stockton and Malone were on their last legs, and all the while watching them run the UCLA set and the pick-and-roll and still be effective.  Malone being hurt, I can believe, especially after the one 1-on-none he had got blocked, but what I don't see is the sense of desperation from anyone outside of Kobe Bryant, and then only in the closing minutes.  This isn't a question of age.  It's a question of effort.

Not for one single solitary minute do I buy into "Payton and Malone are too old."  Payton is very much a team defender - by all rights, if Billups is getting around him, he shouldn't be able to get easy looks.  That's why I maintain to this day that Payton is the best defender at point guard I've ever seen.  It has NOTHING to do with this "the Glove" thing;  it's about where he forces people.  And that still doesn't explain the pathetic look of his passing.  Hey, Gary....--> 34 <--...there's Shaq.  Throw him the freakin' ball.

Malone may be hurt, but Malone has played hurt for a good part of his career.  As Rasheed Wallace was turning to the basket in the fourth quarter, where were the famous Malone hands?  Malone was standing there helpless.  It didn't matter when other people came over to help, because Rasheed didn't have to worry about Malone reaching.

Shaq, as should be the case, took a beating, and endured it.  But his passing is looking weak right now.

George, who has no excuses for anything when age is mentioned, is often looking like a no-show.

This isn't a case of being "too old."  It's a case of not trying hard enough - and a bit of sitting back and waiting for Kobe to bail them out.  

LA is letting Detroit make this a series.

Joe

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »
Joe, I completely agree with your take in regards to game 1 but game 2 was a different story.  I did see the effort from the Lakers but the  Pistons were still there.  The slightest drop off and the Pistons took advantage.  IMO the Lakers just can't seem to sustain the effort and pressure for 48 minutes.  Yes that's been the Lakers story but IMO it's become more than just a mental issue.  Shaq and Kobe showed no signs of fatigue but the others could just not sustain their level of play.  Just look how awesome Luke looked, most of it was because of effort and engery.  He had a few great passes but his energy is what turned the game around.

Effort requires energy Joe, I just don't see this Laker team as being capable of expending that type of energy for 48 minutes.  The Lakers cruise mode will hopefully carry them thru to the late 4th quarter of games and give them a chance to pull some games out.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 02:36:56 PM »
The Lakers NEED to come out with a ton of energy and they CAN do that if they want to.  I would also like to see PJ play Walton more -- George just hasn't even been in the game!  Fox is definately showing his age and George is just George at this point.  Luke brought in energy and excellent passing (as well as the willingness to take the ball to the hoop).  

Detroit has done an excellent job of pressuring the Lakers -- but the Lakers showed they could break down that pressure.  

I'm not happy with the way the Lakers played the second half -- they simply took it off but I hope they will come out in game #3 with the energy that they showed in OT and keep Detroit on their heels.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 03:05:38 PM »
WayOut,

I don't buy into "older and looking the part."  I never have.  Maybe it comes from too many years of hearing how Stockton and Malone were on their last legs, and all the while watching them run the UCLA set and the pick-and-roll and still be effective.  Malone being hurt, I can believe, especially after the one 1-on-none he had got blocked, but what I don't see is the sense of desperation from anyone outside of Kobe Bryant, and then only in the closing minutes.  This isn't a question of age.  It's a question of effort.

Not for one single solitary minute do I buy into "Payton and Malone are too old."  Payton is very much a team defender - by all rights, if Billups is getting around him, he shouldn't be able to get easy looks.  That's why I maintain to this day that Payton is the best defender at point guard I've ever seen.  It has NOTHING to do with this "the Glove" thing;  it's about where he forces people.  And that still doesn't explain the pathetic look of his passing.  Hey, Gary....--> 34 <--...there's Shaq.  Throw him the freakin' ball.

Malone may be hurt, but Malone has played hurt for a good part of his career.  As Rasheed Wallace was turning to the basket in the fourth quarter, where were the famous Malone hands?  Malone was standing there helpless.  It didn't matter when other people came over to help, because Rasheed didn't have to worry about Malone reaching.

Shaq, as should be the case, took a beating, and endured it.  But his passing is looking weak right now.

George, who has no excuses for anything when age is mentioned, is often looking like a no-show.

This isn't a case of being "too old."  It's a case of not trying hard enough - and a bit of sitting back and waiting for Kobe to bail them out.  

LA is letting Detroit make this a series.

Joe
Excellent post.  Great point about how Payton directs the person he is defending into spots.  Remember these guys are getting pushed into the right spots by Payton...just the rest of the team is not collapsing in the paint on em.  That is  easy layups for the Pistons and IMO its ripping the guts out of the Laker defense.  They started strong but got knocked back on their heels when the Pistons did exactly what they did in game 1.

I wish the Lakers would realize that Rip curls off the screen on the left side of the court 20 times a game.  How many times did it take Kareem Rush to realize not to go over the top of the screen?  Oh thats right....they ran the play 3 times in a row and he still was unable to flex his brain muscle.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 03:17:30 PM »
Excellent post.  Great point about how Payton directs the person he is defending into spots.  Remember these guys are getting pushed into the right spots by Payton...just the rest of the team is not collapsing in the paint on em.  That is  easy layups for the Pistons and IMO its ripping the guts out of the Laker defense.  They started strong but got knocked back on their heels when the Pistons did exactly what they did in game 1.

I wish the Lakers would realize that Rip curls off the screen on the left side of the court 20 times a game.  How many times did it take Kareem Rush to realize not to go over the top of the screen?  Oh thats right....they ran the play 3 times in a row and he still was unable to flex his brain muscle.
The problem is also the man who's gaurding the screener.  The Pacers practically shut down Rip when the screeners man flashed hard and forced Rip to swing wide allowing the defender to catch up.  Croshere was awesome in that regard but when he was not in the game it looked like Rip did last night.

The Lakers were also getting burned by going over the screen when the player faded back and took the jumper.  You can't expect anyone to handle that play unless the screeners man helps.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 03:34:18 PM »
I agree that it is the screener's man that is the difference.  Starting with game 3 against the Spurs Malone & Shaq would show strong against the person coming off the screen.  In this series Malone's knee is causing him to not show as strong and Shaq seems to be saving himself for the offensive end of the court.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »
I agree that it is the screener's man that is the difference.  Starting with game 3 against the Spurs Malone & Shaq would show strong against the person coming off the screen.  In this series Malone's knee is causing him to not show as strong and Shaq seems to be saving himself for the offensive end of the court.
I thought he was just saving himself for Burger King.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 05:32:44 PM »
I am talking about just Rip.  The Spurs execution of that play is different.  Rip runs the play the exact same way everytime.  If Rush would have came under the screen he wouldn't have been getting in the paint.  I agree the screeners man needs to help....when Rip decides to fall back and take a jump shot.  The easy trips to the basket is what is killing the Laker defense.  Not Rip  staying behind the screen and taking jump shots all night.

If Malone or Shaq help then they are just going to pick and pop.  Do you want to see Shaq wwith super lazy reaching action or Karl Malone with a bum knee get beat off the dribble leaving Ben Wallace to scoop up easy rebounds or would you force Rip to take a shot behind the screen?

Rip was missing jumpers over the last two games....then down the stretch, comming off a curl, he started to score at will.  They seriously ran the play like 3 times in a row and each time Rip was able to do whatever he wanted.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 05:41:35 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com