Author Topic: spursfan101  (Read 3733 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
spursfan101
« on: June 07, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
I'm hearing from many of my friends that Reagan was the greatest President of our lifetime. The great communicator, I'm hearing all of this flattering comments, but let's get real about Reagan.

True, Reagan laid the groundwork to put the USSR into bankruptcy.  Cold War over!  That was the good.  Now for the bad...Reagan was a homophobe.  He looked the other way when those at the NIH were asking for funds to look into a strange disease that was killing off gay men.  Not until AIDS began to infect heterosexuals did he even acknowledge the problem.  By then, the epidemic had begun.  The way he saw it initially a couple dead faggots was in line with his "family values" code.  So when history looks at Reagan they'll find a man who brought down the massive empire called USSR, but whose country was crippled by a tiny virus called HIV.  

As President, he made the rich filthy rich and he made the poor even poorer. Do I even have to mention Iran Contra...

Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
spursfan101
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 03:26:47 PM »
I'm hearing from many of my friends that Reagan was the greatest President of our lifetime. The great communicator, I'm hearing all of this flattering comments, but let's get real about Reagan.

True, Reagan laid the groundwork to put the USSR into bankruptcy.  Cold War over!  That was the good.  Now for the bad...Reagan was a homophobe.  He looked the other way when those at the NIH were asking for funds to look into a strange disease that was killing off gay men.  Not until AIDS began to infect heterosexuals did he even acknowledge the problem.  By then, the epidemic had begun.  The way he saw it initially a couple dead faggots was in line with his "family values" code.  So when history looks at Reagan they'll find a man who brought down the massive empire called USSR, but whose country was crippled by a tiny virus called HIV.  

As President, he made the rich filthy rich and he made the poor even poorer. Do I even have to mention Iran Contra...
Don't foget his racist comments and stereotyping of people on welfare.  RR tried to make it out as if black women were breeding the welfare system into backruptcy all the while "whitey" is sucking down welfare dollors three to one on "darkie".  "brownie" on the other hand has nothing to brag about regarding welfare.  :nonono:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

spursfan101
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:45:10 PM »

Death does a lot in remembering ones best assets, strengths and greatest moments rather than the worst a president did.  Would JFK had gone down as one of our best presidents had he not been killed?  Would Lincoln be as cherished if he hadn't been murdered?  Reagan's death has a lot of people remembering him as they desire to remember him -- a lot like how one's political alignment alters our perception of his successes and/or failures.

jn

spursfan101
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 04:09:53 PM »
Good God, I actually agree with both of you.  :unsure:

If Clinton apologists tend to overlook his deceptions (and they do) because of overall political affilliation let it be noted the Reagan laid down the blueprint.  The man constantly made up things, convinced himself that they were true and guided policy based on these fantasies.  Notable examples on this front were his claim that the Pope endorsed U.S. military action in Central America and the claim that forests created their own pollution.  

Most presidents end up with some form of image rehab during the years after they are out of office.  Years from now Dubya may be called a genius and Clinton a virgin.  Nixon will not be rehabilitated. EVER!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 04:12:10 PM »
Death does a lot in remembering ones best assets, strengths and greatest moments rather than the worst a president did. Would JFK had gone down as one of our best presidents had he not been killed? Would Lincoln be as cherished if he hadn't been murdered? Reagan's death has a lot of people remembering him as they desire to remember him -- a lot like how one's political alignment alters our perception of his successes and/or failures

SOOO True!  As in my hispanic culture, I hear people speaking of Selena like she was the next GLORIA ESTEFAN! (Is that even a compliment??) :rofl:  
Paul

Guest_Randy

spursfan101
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »
If Clinton apologists tend to overlook his deceptions (and they do) because of overall political affilliation let it be noted the Reagan laid down the blueprint. The man constantly made up things, convinced himself that they were true and guided policy based on these fantasies. Notable examples on this front were his claim that the Pope endorsed U.S. military action in Central America and the claim that forests created their own pollution.

Umm, wasn't he an actor?  Of course, Willy Billy was an actor in his own rights -- acting like he loved his wife, acting like he was innocent, etc.  See, MOST politicians ARE actors!  They act exactly how they think people want them to act -- at least in public.

jn

spursfan101
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 04:41:43 PM »
Yes and he often confused movies with reality, including the time he claimed he helped liberate a German concentration camp.   :crazy:

This also why Nixon will always be looked on darkly.  Every year or so some more tapes leak out wherein we get to see the real Tricky Dick.  A hateful, paranoid, conniving bigot.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 05:00:37 PM »

I fully expected to hear alot of this hateful clap trap when I heard the news that Mr. Reagan had passed, much like the pathetic hate filled column written below.  I wonder what the response would have been if the same kind things had been said about Paul Wellstone when he died, or when Tip O'Neal passed away.  I guess it just goes to show that the lily white left really is often consumed by hate.

Reagan was a like all men, and had his faults and weaknesses, but I am proud to say that I believe he was a great President, great leader, and a great man.  He was the first President I ever voted for, and I am to this day very proud of that vote.  Mr. Reagan made many great contributions to this country and this world, and through his determination millions upon millions of people are no longer living under tyranny.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 05:04:23 PM »
Let me offer a differing opinion on Ronald Reagan.

I liked Reagan as a president.  As a high-schooler and colleagiate under Regan's years, I liked the fact that there was a message of hope.  I remember folks questioning whether or not we could win a war against the Soviet Union, if it came down to it in the days before Reagan.  We questioned whether or not we were still capable of steering the course of the world.  We watched as hostages were taken, as gas prices shot through the roof, as the economy tanked, as we had high inflation, high unemployment, high interest rates, an energy crisis, and all in all, not a lot of hope.  Even FARMERS tried to go on strike.  

And then came Reagan.  He asked us, "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"  The answer was "no," and we elected the man.

In four years, Walter Mondale asked us the same question, and Reagan asked in response, "Is America better off than it was four years ago?"  The response came back from the people:  "yes" and "yes."  In 1984, in a world that was markedly better than the one in 1980, as an 18-year-old kid, I proudly cast my first presidential vote for Ronald Reagan.  I knew Mondale had made Reagan look foolish in the first debate.  To be honest, I didn't care, because, in the second debate, Reagan showed me a vision of the future - a vision of hope.  Even if it was all lies, they were the lies I wanted to believe in.  Mondale's vision was higher taxes, because America was in dire trouble.  Sorry, Walter, but not from where I was sitting, it wasn't.

Waving a flag meant something during the Reagan years.  While he made his mistakes with things like "supply-side economics," "trickle-down," and "SDI:  Strategic Defense Initiative" (more commonly called "Star Wars"), he was doing something, and he gave us hope.  We'd accept a few mistakes.  The man didn't have to be perfect - just as long as he was trying.

And in the end, the gas prices weren't unreasonable, the energy crisis was over, inflation was microscopic, unemployment was down, the Soviet Union was becoming more friend than foe, and people were proud to be Americans again.  No, not all people;  but definitely, the majority.

Ronald Reagan gave us hope.  Or perhaps not.  Perhaps he just got us to believe in hope for a while.

I've made more money under a lot of folks who've come after him.  There've been a lot of changes in the world since Reagan left office - some better, some worse.  But none left me feeling better than Ronald Reagan.

Right now, we're facing an economy that no one can predict, inflation creeping up, gas prices skyrocketing, energy problems in parts of the country, and increasing isolation from the world because of our fear of terrorists.  Instead of hostages, we have dead bodies.  The Cold War is gone and the war on terrorism is here.  We're not as proud to be Americans anymore.  We're afraid again.

We don't need John Kerry, or George W. Bush.  We need Ronald Reagan - if only to get us to believe in our potential - to believe in what we were, what we are, and what we can be again.  

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 08:27:45 AM »
nice post Joe.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 08:45:51 AM »
nice post Joe.
I cant say he was the greatest president ever. in fact i think the real reason for the nostalgia for most people is he is probably the first president - of my generation to die - atleast the first president that was in office in my lifetime to die.  i rmember a lot of people griping about the man, however, again, no pres is a saint, demo, republican, or otherwise, however i think they do the best they can in office. the man was a savy spokesman, rest in peace.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 09:02:54 AM »
nice post Joe.
I cant say he was the greatest president ever. in fact i think the real reason for the nostalgia for most people is he is probably the first president - of my generation to die - atleast the first president that was in office in my lifetime to die.  i rmember a lot of people griping about the man, however, again, no pres is a saint, demo, republican, or otherwise, however i think they do the best they can in office. the man was a savy spokesman, rest in peace.
He surely wasnt the greatest president ever.  Does one single president even deserve a title like that?  All of them have their faults.  They are still human in the end and people need to realize that.  The man did do good in this country but the death really blew his accomplishments out of proportion.

Funny how you hear no mention of his attempts at the war on drugs.  20 something years later and nothing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 09:03:38 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 09:31:50 AM »
I know I will get hammered for this but here goes.....

To use a basketball analogy....Reagan was a political Phil Jackson.  The man himself was not a great visionary.  But he had a commanding personal presence and was able to put together a great team of assistant coaches.   He was an exceptional speaker and motivator.  A figure that could rally the masses.   In many ways a great leader but not the "brains" behind the operation.  Also the world at that time needed the type of leadership that his administration gave us.

In contrast look at today's world.....GW is basically trying the same approaches with many of the same assistants.  And the game has changed.  The same strategies are not working the same magic.

Reagan as a great president....I would say yes because he was the right man for the time.  Possibly a top ten candidate but not the greatest ever.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 10:02:29 AM »
Greatest President Ever?   In my eyes, it has to be Franklin D. Roosevelt.  At least of our Century anyways.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
spursfan101
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 10:07:50 AM »
I know I will get hammered for this but here goes.....

To use a basketball analogy....Reagan was a political Phil Jackson.  The man himself was not a great visionary.  But he had a commanding personal presence and was able to put together a great team of assistant coaches.   He was an exceptional speaker and motivator.  A figure that could rally the masses.   In many ways a great leader but not the "brains" behind the operation.  Also the world at that time needed the type of leadership that his administration gave us.

In contrast look at today's world.....GW is basically trying the same approaches with many of the same assistants.  And the game has changed.  The same strategies are not working the same magic.

Reagan as a great president....I would say yes because he was the right man for the time.  Possibly a top ten candidate but not the greatest ever.
i CANT say he was the greatest but he is up tyhere i agree.

i saw a show about the way he used to make speeches, even writing his own speeches and including what he called "calming pauses" - the best of which was his famous "Well..."  which he actually wrote in to the speeches as "well..." and then he wrote the rest of his speech after that.  even the simple gesture of putting both hands up on top of the podium when he spoke as if embracing it, made him seem more homely to say the least.  and when confronted with a topic that could have brought his re-election campaign done (his age) he simply made a joke of it in his second debate, stating he would not use age as a discriminatory tactic due his opponents youth and inexperience...lol   who was that he was running against?  mondale?  not sure, it was hilarious though... the man COULD work the people that is for sure...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.