Author Topic: Army worms?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Army worms?
« on: May 26, 2004, 04:33:21 PM »
Hey jn!

After reading the L.A. Times this morning (see my reply to Lakermania's earlier post today), I was curious to find out what curmudgeon Times sportwriter  T.J. Simers was referring to in his mention of 'army worms' in his column.  Sure enough, as I surmised he was speaking of what we called 'tent caterpillars' when I was a young'un back East.

Check this - you Minnesotans are resourceful!

http://www.armywormwine.com/reviews.htm

Let me know how it goes down during the next game, brah...

-RB

Shaq #1

jn

Army worms?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:19:32 PM »
RB I know this guy.   I spend a lot of time in Duluth and this guy was in a band that recorded at my buddy's studio.  My friends had told me about this wine experiment.  I'll pass thanks, real liqour is cheap enough in Dullyouth.  

jn

Army worms?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 11:21:12 PM »
And yeah caterpillars can get crazy up there.  In a bad year they will eat the leaves off of trees for miles and your shoes get gooey from having to step on them.  

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Army worms?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:02:55 PM »
Hey jn!

From what I can remember from junior high school U.S. History (yes, Minnesota had already been admitted to the Union back then), Duluth was a big iron ore-mining/shipping center - is that still the case?  I remember that even in the '60s there was talk that the Mesabi Range was all played out - if so, what (if any) industries replaced the iron mining biz?  I have to admit that I really haven't checked up on this since way back when - dang, time flies.

-RB

Shaq #1

jn

Army worms?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »
Dang, RB, that's an impressive memory you have.

Yes it's still heavily involved in iron and shipping.  The best iron ore is almost entirely gone but a new process was developed to extract iron from a less rich ore called taconite.  They've also made some other city sponsored efforts at revitalization in tourism and high tech.  Some worked, some didn't.  

Away from the touristy areas there are still some really rough, harbor town style areas, i.e. dive bars filled with sailors and prostitutes.  

The locals are indeed inventive in entertaining themselves.  I've seen some nutty stuff while hanging with my friends.  You know, public nudity, pie fights, midgets fleeing burning cars while carrying a stack of pizzas, that kind of thing.   :cheers: (OK, I didn't see that last one, I just heard.  :D ) Last spring when I was there I ended dressed in a clown outfit with a megaphone trying to sell art as a kazoo, accordion and gong band played.  

Rickortreat

Army worms?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 04:08:43 PM »
Oh, so that's what Tent caterpillars are good for!   :rolleyes: