Author Topic: Hoiberg/Malone call  (Read 2601 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« on: May 25, 2004, 05:42:51 PM »
First off, props to the Wolves. They wanted it more and came out and kicked the Lakers butts in Game 2, w/out a point guard nonetheless.  

That being said, I can't go without speaking my mind on the Malone charge call/knee to the chest of Hoiberg.  That was not even close to being a charge.  Hoiberg had no kind of position and came running in under Malone as he was already taking his steps to the basket.  Totally Hoiberg's fault and should have been called a block.  I said it in real time, I said it in slow mo, and I rewatched it a few times with TiVo and was only more convinced each time.  

Sorry just had to get that off my chest.  Other than that, I have no complaints on the officiating, well no more or less than usual, and I'm okay with the physical play.  I think every Laker fan on the planet would prefer they let both teams get physical.  

Best of luck to the Wolves and our lone wolf poster JN on the rest of the series.  It will no doubt be a good one and will most likely come down to the wire.  One thing I've become conditioned to with this current Laker squad is that they don't make anything easy for themselves or the fans ...   :alcohol:

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 05:58:19 PM »
One thing I've become conditioned to with this current Laker squad is that they don't make anything easy for themselves or the fans ...   :alcohol:
Tell me about it MSC, I have my bottle Bushmills handy, do you?
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 06:49:10 PM »
Not even jn thought that was a charge so its safe to say that it was not a charge.....no "nozing" going on here.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 11:31:48 PM »
Yep, that was strictly a "Karl's got a bad rep" call.   I'd feel bad for him except he earned the rep.   B)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:34:36 AM »
Yep, that was strictly a "Karl's got a bad rep" call.   I'd feel bad for him except he earned the rep.   B)
And rightfully so

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 09:24:07 AM »
Hey wk!  

Don't be dissin' my man Karl!

I can't believe that I'm saying that...TrueLakers are supposed to despise him!

However, Karl has now truly become an integral part of the Laker steam-roller...he gets even more minutes than 'Kobme', once again attesting to his awesome physical condition.  I don't know where 'Our Heroes' would be now without 'The Mailman' - I repress the shudders that course through me when I consider Slava or the broken-down Horace Grant on KG.  He would be going 40 and 20 every night.

-RB

Shaq #1
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 09:24:47 AM by RolandoBlackman »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 09:31:42 AM »
Hey wk!  

However, Karl has now truly become an integral part of the Laker steam-roller...he gets even more minutes than 'Kobme', once again attesting to his awesome physical condition.  I don't know where 'Our Heroes' would be now without 'The Mailman' - I repress the shudders that course through me when I consider Slava or the broken-down Horace Grant on KG.  He would be going 40 and 20 every night.

-RB

Shaq #1
Hey Ro....

I said it before the playoffs, I said it after the Spurs series and I'll say it again.  Malone is the Lakers MVP this season.  He is the glue that holds the team together.  The heart & soul of this team.  The only player who can stand up to Shaq & motivate him.  Unfortuantely he is the #3 offensive option so teams can't key on him.....but he is the true force behind this post season run for your boys.  IMO the loss to the Rockets and the one to the Wolves can be pinned on Karl's low energy play in those games.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 09:43:38 AM »
Those are my sentiments exactly Lurker. If Malone isn't in the lineup, the Lakers get swept in the semi's as Duncan and company take LA apart, he proves that playing off the ball is just as important as playing on it. his presense in the post forces teams to adjust and his floor leadership is without comparison in the NBA. Despite all the games he missed this yearif he gets the ring he seeks, no one can say he didn't earn it with his play this post season.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:38:53 AM »
Talk about the officiating all you want, but it will not improve, nor will it actually make much of a difference in the outcome of any playoff series. The better team still will win in the end.

The playoffs are tailor-made for the more aggressive and athletic teams to excel. With less concern for your average, everyday bodyslam fouls not being called, players who understand this will play much harder and not play expecting every little nudge will draw a foul, but will actually shoot the ball AT the basket to make the shots, not get bailed out by officials.

Sitting around pointing fingers at how the "other" team is getting away with uncalled fouls at this time of year no longer appeals to me. Since game six of the 2002 Laker/Kings series, there clearly is not going to ever be a fair assessment made, so, metaphorically speaking, just shoot the ball, guys and don't expect the referees to ever bail you out. That is just a bonus to trying to make the shot in the first place.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 02:13:04 PM »
Hey wk! 

However, Karl has now truly become an integral part of the Laker steam-roller...he gets even more minutes than 'Kobme', once again attesting to his awesome physical condition.  I don't know where 'Our Heroes' would be now without 'The Mailman' - I repress the shudders that course through me when I consider Slava or the broken-down Horace Grant on KG.  He would be going 40 and 20 every night.

-RB

Shaq #1
Hey Ro....

I said it before the playoffs, I said it after the Spurs series and I'll say it again.  Malone is the Lakers MVP this season.  He is the glue that holds the team together.  The heart & soul of this team.  The only player who can stand up to Shaq & motivate him.  Unfortuantely he is the #3 offensive option so teams can't key on him.....but he is the true force behind this post season run for your boys.  IMO the loss to the Rockets and the one to the Wolves can be pinned on Karl's low energy play in those games.
Agreed.  Did you check out how tired KG looked last night compared to game 2 when Karl was riding the pine?  He still got his but at the end of the night KG looked like he was ready for a beer, a jacuzzi, and his hotel bed.

Ive never seen a single player able to do the job Karl did on Duncan.  I personally thought it was impossible to play the guy straight up for any length of time.  Especially in the playoffs.  KG is a little different story and its much harder for Malone to guard him....he is making him work for every shot and thats all you can ask for as a coach/fan when a player is going up against the MVP.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 02:14:57 PM by westkoast »

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
Hoiberg/Malone call
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 02:27:57 PM »
Hey wk!  

You are absolutely correct - the 'D' that Karl put on TD was awesome!!!  THis was the single greatest factor in 'Our Heroes' mopping up the Spurs - not quite a "Milk Money" spanking, but this defeat resulted in the same disconsolate, dispirited Spurs team.  This loss will most definitely be on  SA's mind next season, just as 'Our Heroes' now avenged last year's humiliating series-ending defeat on their own turf.  This is how it's done, Magic Johnson-style.  My favorite quote by Maj:

"There's nothing more satisfying than to see a team that is defeated before the game even starts."

The LAL must REALLY put it on KG&Co. the next game - the spirit of the T-Wolves must be utterly crushed.  No war references, BTW - I am PC all the way.

I think you mentioned Wally Szcerbiak in a prior  post - I agree with your contention 100% that he almost single-handedly kept them in the game.  Indeed, it appeared to me that Wally was the only T-Wolf out there who really seemed like he expected to win!

-RB

Shaq #1
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 02:46:18 PM by RolandoBlackman »