Author Topic: OT: Ro, about your kid trying to get into Stanford  (Read 1257 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT: Ro, about your kid trying to get into Stanford
« on: May 21, 2004, 03:37:07 PM »
One strong recomendation I would make, if you haven't already done so already, is to invest in an "SAT taking course".  I took the Princeton version but I'm sure there are tons more companies offering that service.  You don't gain any new knowledge or insights on subjects in the test, what they do teach is how to TAKE the test.  You are taught to analize the questions and answers on SAT's to gauge what the correct is most likely to be even if you have no clue about the subject.  One of the most important skills you are taught in the course is how to ELIMINATE half of the multiple choice answers without knowing the subject and in some cases without even knowing the questions.

It bumped my SAT score up 100 to 270 points.  It's worth the investment non matter how smart your kid is, or how smart you think he is. ;)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:12:13 PM »
One strong recomendation I would make, if you haven't already done so already, is to invest in an "SAT taking course". I took the Princeton version but I'm sure there are tons more companies offering that service.

Does that Princton version have plenty of back door cuts to getting better scores?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 04:12:26 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 05:00:35 PM »
All you really need to get ahead in life is to have your GED. Spursx3 is livin proof.
Paul

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 07:53:28 PM »
Hey WoW!!!

Yes, we fully intend to send him to one of the SAT prep centers - nowadays, the young'uns have the SAT2 to take as well!  I do my best to leave nothing to chance - I know my son quite well, and though he is supremely intelligent he uses his ingenuity to do as little as possible with minimal effort.  I am not one of those parents who thinks his little angel can do no wrong - far from it.

-RB
Shaq #1