Author Topic: SA article on Lakers-Wolves  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
SA article on Lakers-Wolves
« on: May 21, 2004, 09:48:33 AM »
Before posting the article; does anyone else find it strange that a team called the Lakers is playing against a team from the state of 10,000 lakes?

Mike Monroe: Lakers too tough for Wolves

San Antonio Express-News

South Texas is rampant with Lakers haters. It seems a natural thing, given the Lakers have eliminated the Spurs from the playoffs three of the past five seasons.

If you are among them, you might want to stop reading.

Anyone, Lakers haters included, counting on the Minnesota Timberwolves to derail the Lakers' run to a fourth NBA title in the past five years is living in a fantasy world.

The Timberwolves don't have the muscle to keep the Lakers from winning the Western Conference finals in six games.

In fact, a Lakers sweep is far more likely than a protracted series.

It is instructive to remember what Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders said back in mid-March, when the Wolves came to San Antonio and got drilled by the Spurs. Saunders was trying his best to ease Michael Olowokandi, Wally Sczerbiak and Troy Hudson back into the player rotation without too abruptly disrupting the chemistry journeymen like Ervin Johnson and Trenton Hassell had engendered with the "Big Three" of Kevin Garnett, Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell.

"In order for us to get where we want to get and be what we want to be, all three of those guys (Olowokandi, Hudson and Sczerbiak) have to be integral parts of what we're doing," Saunders said. "So, sometimes we have to bite our lip a little bit and just play them and endure a little pain."

At the time, the pain derived from the fact none of the three had enough time with their teammates to mesh seamlessly with what the Wolves wanted to do at both ends of the court. Now the pain is from the realization Olowokandi was, and is, a complete bust of a free-agent acquisition. The Wolves' threshold for pain got a lot lower when the playoffs arrived. Olowokandi is nailed to the bench. Hudson, Minnesota's best clutch shooter against the Lakers in last year's playoff matchup, is out for the playoffs with an injury. Sczerbiak's court time is limited by his defensive ineptitude and relative lack of production.

Kevin McHale maneuvered last summer to give Garnett the help he needed to finally get out of the first round of the playoffs. That's why he brought Sprewell and Cassell to the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and the wheeling and dealing worked. The Wolves are in the Western finals.

But Olowokandi was supposed to be the big man capable of dealing with Shaquille O'Neal. Turns out he couldn't even deal with Vlade Divac and Brad Miller. O'Neal, by the way, had his career-high game against Olowokandi when the latter played for the Clippers.

Garnett's performance in Wednesday's Game 7 forever buried whatever unwarranted reputation remained that he was incapable of putting the Wolves on his back to carry them to playoff victories. Garnett took most of the crunch-time shots for the Wolves, including an amazing, at-the-shot-clock-buzzer 3-pointer that turned out to be the real game-winner.

Against the Lakers, Garnett will have to deal with the same muscling and chopping tactics from Karl Malone that frustrated the Spurs' Tim Duncan for six games of the conference semifinals. Malone has had nearly a week to rest the sprained right ankle he finally revealed after Game 6 had been slowing him down most of the series. He will look to be more offensive-minded in this next series, which means the Wolves will have some defensive choices to make.

Johnson can't match O'Neal's muscle. The fact the Lakers rediscovered that their triangle offense looks considerably more geometric when O'Neal is the hypotenuse is bad news for the Wolves' center. It also means Garnett is going to have to help Johnson. That means a rejuvenated Malone figures to score plenty when left unguarded.

Hassell, Minnesota's version of Bruce Bowen, did great work on Denver's Carmelo Anthony in the first round and Stojakovic in the last round. As Bowen discovered, Kobe Bryant is capable of scoring against anyone, no matter how tight the defense. Saunders will give Sprewell, who has the length and quickness to bother Bryant, a turn or two on Bryant, but it's not apt to matter.

Cassell deserved his All-Star spot instead of Gary Payton this season, but his back injury swings the edge in that matchup back to Payton, whose confidence wavered only momentarily after he was scorched by Tony Parker in the first two games against the Spurs.

Off the bench the Wolves have defensively deficient Fred Hoiberg and Sczerbiak, along with Mark Madsen, whom the Lakers allowed to leave.

The Lakers, of course, have Derek Fisher.

You Lakers haters really don't want to read any more about him, do you?

Here is the good news for those who can't stand purple and gold: The Spurs-Lakers conference semis was not the NBA Finals, as so many had insisted. However, it was the true Western Conference finals.

Both Indiana and Detroit are capable of beating the Lakers, especially the Pacers, who will have homecourt advantage.

Relax for the next couple of weeks and save that venom for NBA Finals 2004.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 10:10:23 AM »
Hey Lurker!

You may be unaware of this, but the Lakers are originally FROM the 'Land of 10,000 Lakes' (and it IS awesomely beautiful there this time of year - I  have seen it for myself).  So  it's not that amazing...actually, I have already predicted that the LAL will have their 'retro' uniforms on to show some love to the Minnesota fans.
You've got to respect this SA sportswriter for this article (although he needs to forget about the Pacers beating the LAL) - you know how much it must have pained him to predict a sweep of the T-wolves by 'Our Heroes'.  I have to say that I expect this series to be 'Milk Money II - The Sequel', starring Shaquille O'Neal in a command performance.  To complete the scenario, I picture KG riding the pine in the 4th quarter of Game 4 with a dejected look similar to that exhibited by TD when Shaq put it on SA during the record-setting 17 - 1 playoff run in 2001.  No, jn - I did not go to an 'Other Ones' concert last night...

-RB

Shaq #1
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:16:38 AM by RolandoBlackman »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 10:12:36 AM »
I agree with the whole article.....except IMO the Wolves have much better chances of beating the Lakers than Indy or Detroit.  People seem to be jumping to conclusions.  I think the Lakers are going to make it past the WCF but I think everyone is too quick to say in how many games.

No way in hell the Lakers sweep the Wolves.  The amount of arrogant, chest beating Laker fans all the sudden really has got on my nerves.  So much so I got into an argument with this guy at Togo's (lol of all places to debate sports) about KG and Malone.  I guess when you are drunk off bandwagon juice you say things like 'Malone will shut down KG for the whole series'.......and some of TRUE fans wonder why the Laker nation gets a bad wrap.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:14:59 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 10:16:10 AM »
RB!  Great to see you back....and congrats to your son for putting in the hard work necessary to (hopefully) make it to Stanford.

Yes, I am aware where the Lakers get their name from....seeing as I call the midwest my birthplace (Iowa actually).   And I agree that Minnesota is a very beautiful state.  I spent the summer after HS graduation taking a road trip with a couple buddies through many of the state parks there.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 10:17:01 AM »
It's hard to argue some of this, particularly the fact that Kandi is useless and not having Laker killer THud to back up a gimpy Sam means a Wolves strength becomes a weakness.  

I do take MAJOR issue with the statement that the Pistons or Pacers have a better chance of beating the Lakers.  That's just flat out  :bs:   If you state Wolves don't have the muscle to slow Shaq  you can't seriously suggest that Jeff Foster, Austin Croshere, Sheed and Mehmet Okhur do.  That's ludicrous.  Ben Wa will certainly outhustle Shaq for boards but that's about his only advantage.  He's still to small to muscle even this year's slower version of Shaq and he can't afford to provide his usual weakside help when Kobe drives.  

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 10:20:57 AM »
Hey wk!

"Bandwagon Juice" - that's good one!  Sounds like a hard-core rap by Snoop Dogg...LOL

-RB
Shaq #1

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 10:27:55 AM »
It's hard to argue some of this, particularly the fact that Kandi is useless and not having Laker killer THud to back up a gimpy Sam means a Wolves strength becomes a weakness.  

I do take MAJOR issue with the statement that the Pistons or Pacers have a better chance of beating the Lakers.  That's just flat out  :bs:   If you state Wolves don't have the muscle to slow Shaq  you can't seriously suggest that Jeff Foster, Austin Croshere, Sheed and Mehmet Okhur do.  That's ludicrous.  Ben Wa will certainly outhustle Shaq for boards but that's about his only advantage.  He's still to small to muscle even this year's slower version of Shaq and he can't afford to provide his usual weakside help when Kobe drives.
jn, I agree with your point about Indy & Detroit.  Neither Wallace can guard Shaq one on one.  Indy's front line will get into early foul trouble also.  IMO the Wolves have as good a chance if not better to win a game than the "Leastern" teams.  However with the injuries to the Wolves and the fact that SA pushed LA into "flipping the switch" IMO the Lakers could easily sweep the next two series.

koast....I think you are being to hard on your bandwagon additions.  Malone won't shut Garnett down but I don't see anymore 30-20 games either.  In fact with the emotions KG showed against Sactown it will be interesting to see how far under his skin Malone can get.  Anyway Shaq has howitzers, tanks and nuclear weapons (check preseason quotes) which last time I checked will out gun KG's uzis & grenades.
-Moody Blues

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 10:46:41 AM »
Hey Lurker!

First of all, thanks for the greetings - it's good to BE back!!

Secondly, I appreciate your congrats on 'our' academic performance - this is definitely a thankless task, by all accounts...even his Mom thinks I am too exacting.  So far though, my son has the straight-A transcript that is necessary for entry to the high-end colleges - and, I am determined that things remain static in this area!  I am quite aware that he does not have the experience in life to realize how important it is to attend one of the acclaimed institutes of higher learning.  Sadly, he does not understand WHY I am pushing him so hard to do his best - I am his worst enemy in the world at this point, as far as he is concerned.  However, when he is doing the Johnny Cochran thing in the courtroom raking in the acclaim and $$$, he will remember and appreciate what his old man has done for him - I hope...

And jn - I feel ya, mon...I really DO respect the T-wolves.  Honest.

-RB

Shaq #1
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:46:57 AM by RolandoBlackman »

jn

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 11:12:46 AM »
Hey RB, back at ya.  

Good luck with all that work with the kidling, especially with the National Merit money grubbing.  I came frustratingly close to getting some money that way.  I just barely missed the Semi Finalist category due to my mediocre math skills.

Stanford would be a great choice but "Johnny Cochrane thing"?  Oh man not that!  To borrow from Cochrane on South Park.  "Now, Chewbacca is a wookie.  Wookies live on the same planet as Ewoks.  That doesn't make any sense. Why am I talking about wookies during this trial?  Doesn't make any sense.  If Chewbacca is a wookie you must acquit!!"  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 11:20:08 AM »
Well, it is always nice to see the master tactician (that being Phil Jackson) still has his savvy going. The Lakers have two separate offensive game plans - one for the regular season and the ShaqAttack for the post season. The window-dressing that amounted to the Payton and Malone regular season work now has evolved into a playoff cohesiveness not seen before. All part of the plan.

Since what the Lakers throw at their opponents is the concern of all who talk about them, I will offer what is probably a better game plan by the Wolves and whomever comes out of the East. You have to outscore the Lakers. Their defense, while tightened up now that the playoffs have started because the referees just do not call as many grab fouls, can be exploited if you play through the confrontations. But this also is where LA has a huge advantage. It is one thing to knock KG off his stride and away from the basket, it is entirely different to try that with Shaq over seven games.

By far the best at affecting Shaq's game has been Vlade Divac. While everyone hates what he does, and no other center with any pride in the League would try to duplicate it, his flopping totally bothers what Shaq tries to do in the paint. The Wolves have no one who can do what Vlade does or would even consider trying to. The Lakers should prevail because they are just going to be tougher over the long run because of Malone and Shaq. They will need to resort to unsavory tactics to have a chance with O'Neal and I just don't see them doing that.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 11:41:09 AM »
I agree with the whole article.....except IMO the Wolves have much better chances of beating the Lakers than Indy or Detroit.  People seem to be jumping to conclusions.  I think the Lakers are going to make it past the WCF but I think everyone is too quick to say in how many games.

No way in hell the Lakers sweep the Wolves.  The amount of arrogant, chest beating Laker fans all the sudden really has got on my nerves.  So much so I got into an argument with this guy at Togo's (lol of all places to debate sports) about KG and Malone.  I guess when you are drunk off bandwagon juice you say things like 'Malone will shut down KG for the whole series'.......and some of TRUE fans wonder why the Laker nation gets a bad wrap.
Westkoast . . .

Were you on the MSNBC board after the Lakers starting sweeping through?  All of the sudden the board was flooded with "longtime Laker fans" (you know, like Reality's a longtime Spurs fan) who were thumping their chest BIG time.  It's up to Laker fans, IMO, to keep 'em in check.  Bandwagoneers are the loudest -- why?  Because the rebuilding humbles you a bit and makes another championship something to savor -- not something to thump on.  And most bandwagoneers know that they won't be around when the Lakers start their next rebuilding phase -- which may be a LOT sooner than we think.

The TWolves are MUCH tougher than anything in the EC -- I don't think that Indy has anything that the Lakers can't sweep and they are better than Detroit.  If Miami can push Indy, what are the Lakers going to do to them?  I think the TWolves win one game -- and that's the only one the Lakers lose (and I think it's tonight).

Offline RolandoBlackman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 11:45:34 AM »
Hey JoMal!

I agree with you 100% that Phil is a master strategist - however, it is sometimes forgotten that as well as the 'triangle' offense, the defensive prowess of the Jackson-led teams is one of the (if not THE) major factors that has resulted in 9 NBA Championships for teams headed by the 'Zen Master'.  A perfect example of this is the last 4 contests (swept by the LAL) of the 2004 WC Semi-Finals, in which the Lakers defense held SA to an average of 80 points each game.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, I am glad that the Kings are history for 2004.  Vlade's ability to take it to the hole with his unusally strong ball-handling prowess (for a 7-footer) and his jump-shooting always gives 'The Daddy' fits.  IMHO, Vlade will probably be around for at least 3-4 more years - he is still one of the better centers in the league, regardless of his age or his shortcomings.

-RB

Shaq #1

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 12:51:19 PM »
Hey JoMal!

I agree with you 100% that Phil is a master strategist - however, it is sometimes forgotten that as well as the 'triangle' offense, the defensive prowess of the Jackson-led teams is one of the (if not THE) major factors that has resulted in 9 NBA Championships for teams headed by the 'Zen Master'.  A perfect example of this is the last 4 contests (swept by the LAL) of the 2004 WC Semi-Finals, in which the Lakers defense held SA to an average of 80 points each game.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, I am glad that the Kings are history for 2004.  Vlade's ability to take it to the hole with his unusally strong ball-handling prowess (for a 7-footer) and his jump-shooting always gives 'The Daddy' fits.  IMHO, Vlade will probably be around for at least 3-4 more years - he is still one of the better centers in the league, regardless of his age or his shortcomings.

-RB

Shaq #1
RO, good to see you again.

I don't believe that PJ can take credit for his offensive and/or defensive schemes.  I believe these come from the brilliance of Tex Winters.  PJ is the "coach" -- and I think Tex doesn't WANT to coach because of all the problems with players.  PJ deserves props for surrounding himself with assistants like Tex but IMO PJ deserves props for working the players and making the decisions but Tex deserves the props for the Lakers D and Offense (both the triangle as well as the latest version that knocked out the Spurs).

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 01:06:25 PM »
Hey JoMal!

I agree with you 100% that Phil is a master strategist - however, it is sometimes forgotten that as well as the 'triangle' offense, the defensive prowess of the Jackson-led teams is one of the (if not THE) major factors that has resulted in 9 NBA Championships for teams headed by the 'Zen Master'.  A perfect example of this is the last 4 contests (swept by the LAL) of the 2004 WC Semi-Finals, in which the Lakers defense held SA to an average of 80 points each game.

And as I mentioned in a previous post, I am glad that the Kings are history for 2004.  Vlade's ability to take it to the hole with his unusally strong ball-handling prowess (for a 7-footer) and his jump-shooting always gives 'The Daddy' fits.  IMHO, Vlade will probably be around for at least 3-4 more years - he is still one of the better centers in the league, regardless of his age or his shortcomings.

-RB

Shaq #1
RO, good to see you again.

I don't believe that PJ can take credit for his offensive and/or defensive schemes.  I believe these come from the brilliance of Tex Winters.  PJ is the "coach" -- and I think Tex doesn't WANT to coach because of all the problems with players.  PJ deserves props for surrounding himself with assistants like Tex but IMO PJ deserves props for working the players and making the decisions but Tex deserves the props for the Lakers D and Offense (both the triangle as well as the latest version that knocked out the Spurs).
:shudder:  I agree with Randy on this one.  I think that PJ is a great CEO type.  He can see the big picture and is great at motivating the workers to produce.  However, Tex's offensive adjustments in the SA series was the difference maker.  Modifying the triangle to include more pick and rolls as well as isolation is what pushed the Lakers over the Spurs.  Also the fact that this led to fewer turnovers and easy baskets for the Spurs is what helped lower the Spurs' offensive output.

I said it at the end of that series....if the Lakers approach the Wolves & EC foe with the same intensity and focus that they showed against the Spurs then there are only 8 games left for the Lakeshow.

:ph34r:  
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 02:14:42 PM »
I agree with the whole article.....except IMO the Wolves have much better chances of beating the Lakers than Indy or Detroit.  People seem to be jumping to conclusions.  I think the Lakers are going to make it past the WCF but I think everyone is too quick to say in how many games.

No way in hell the Lakers sweep the Wolves.  The amount of arrogant, chest beating Laker fans all the sudden really has got on my nerves.  So much so I got into an argument with this guy at Togo's (lol of all places to debate sports) about KG and Malone.  I guess when you are drunk off bandwagon juice you say things like 'Malone will shut down KG for the whole series'.......and some of TRUE fans wonder why the Laker nation gets a bad wrap.
Westkoast . . .

Were you on the MSNBC board after the Lakers starting sweeping through?  All of the sudden the board was flooded with "longtime Laker fans" (you know, like Reality's a longtime Spurs fan) who were thumping their chest BIG time.  It's up to Laker fans, IMO, to keep 'em in check.  Bandwagoneers are the loudest -- why?  Because the rebuilding humbles you a bit and makes another championship something to savor -- not something to thump on.  And most bandwagoneers know that they won't be around when the Lakers start their next rebuilding phase -- which may be a LOT sooner than we think.

The TWolves are MUCH tougher than anything in the EC -- I don't think that Indy has anything that the Lakers can't sweep and they are better than Detroit.  If Miami can push Indy, what are the Lakers going to do to them?  I think the TWolves win one game -- and that's the only one the Lakers lose (and I think it's tonight).
Yup I was there then and remember very well.  I was sick of it then.....thank god we got our own private board.    Public message boards are a breeding ground for flame posts and chest beaters.

I try my darnest to just laugh off idiotic bandwagon comments but I just couldn't at lunch the other day.  Im all for rooting for your team, saying the Lakers are going to roll, or that Kobe is going to dominate......just at least try to be objective.  Comments like 'Malone is going to shut down KG for the whole series' get under my skin.  I guess I take basketball too seriously lol.

As for Tex...I really wish the media would give the guy more credit.  The basketball wisdom he brings not only to the coaching staff but to the players is something that has been overlooked for almost a decade now.  Sure having Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, etc etc has helped alot but would those guys have been as good as they are/were without Tex's system and the staff's ability to adjust well in the playoffs?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com