Author Topic: No respect for black coaches from NBA players?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
No respect for black coaches from NBA players?
« on: February 14, 2004, 12:28:36 PM »
Players fail to give best to black coaches

By Stephen A. Smith

Inquirer Columnist

The truth hurts, especially when the sting is personal. It's never fun to paint a group with a broad brush, to attach deplorable behavior to the backs of many with whom one may share a cultural identity.

But how many African American coaches must have their abilities lambasted, their careers placed in peril, before someone starts noticing the primary cause for their travails? It's the black athlete.

It's those same athletes, paid millions to play ball, who march like soldiers in boot camp to the tune of those blessed with wealth, stability, power and, almost always, a different hue.

Yet that same black athlete, who starts out complacent, leans towards indifference before regressing to defiance the moment another black man has been assigned as his orchestrator.

If America were to be blindfolded without the luxury of a voice detector, a laundry list of professional black coaches would jump to attention just to confirm such an assertion.

"We'd tell you that players want to exploit us, to use that relationship to their advantage," one team official told me recently. "We'd tell you that the main reason players want us in those positions is so they can get away without being held accountable, sometimes.

"We'd tell you it would be OK if they held all coaches to the same standard, but that it's a struggle because they wouldn't try that with white coaches. They know those white coaches usually have more money, more power, at least the perception of both.

"But we'd tell you that only if we were open and honest, which is something we can never be on this subject."

Who needs candor when you have Randy Ayers?

Nausea should take over the next time we hear Ayers pull an Andy Reid - "We'll handle it... . We're keeping it in-house" - or the next time he responds to one of Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson's missing-in-action moments.

It's sickening to see Ayers sit around and absorb Robinson's theatrical belligerence and insubordination while making sure to cash the $22.8 million due him through the 2004-05 season.

Then again, what is Ayers to do, especially when his three-year, $4.5 million deal gets dwarfed by the players' $4.8 million average salary? When they know it - because they are smart enough to recognize such a small salary usually amounts to a small investment - they're in an ideal position to circumvent the coach's authority and exploit it at their discretion.

This is a problem that has existed in sports forever, and the effect is like that of a virus in flu season. Here's the ultimate surprise:

It is not the fault of the white man.

Not on this issue.

"It goes on," former Miami Heat player Tim Hardaway told me a few years ago. "It really does, and it's wrong. There are so many black players in this league that would hop at attention the second a white coach calls them but act like they don't even care around black coaches. Then we sit around wondering why more black coaches can't keep their jobs."

Actually, there's no reason to wonder.

Excluding the status of Denver Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik - the lowest-paid coach in the NBA - most white coaches get paid more. Most are blessed with more influence and power than their black counterparts. And, whether it's real or not, that perception is usually enough to keep athletes alert and on point, subconsciously reminding them of their responsibilities without the coaches' uttering a word.

That's why Jeff Van Gundy can take $5 million per year and not worry about controlling basketball operations, why Phil Jackson can get more than $6 million under similar circumstances, why Larry Brown has always commanded huge dollars and why every coach is looking to do the same.

Huge salaries do not merely mean security. They equate to a player knowing his coach isn't going anywhere, recognizing he'll need to conform and show a willingness to do so mainly for his own survival and future wealth.

We can't count Allen Iverson or even Derrick Coleman among this group because, say what you want about them, they are consistent. It's others - they know who they are - who leave us all scratching our heads with disgust and resignation.

Too bad Ayers, Mo Cheeks and so many other African American coaches don't have the cushion of huge salaries or influence, particularly considering the mentality of so many of today's players.

The players pontificate about why more of their own are not in positions of power but neglect to look in the mirror.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 10:10:10 AM »
I heard John Salley talking about this after Ayers had just gotten fired.  It is an amazing thing to me that Blacks have succumbed to the idea that the White man is superior, because they were once related to slaves, whereas the Whites were related to their ancestors' masters.

If Blacks don't believe in themselves, they won't get the chances, virtually self-fullfilling the idea that the White man is keeping them down!

You see it in Football and Basketball, the two sports where Blacks dominate as players, but the majority of Coaches are still White.  As long as Black players give more repect to the White coaches, it will stay that way.

Offline kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 12:09:54 PM »
I'm sure P.J. Carlisimo would have an opinion on this as they pried Latrell Sprewells fingers from his throat.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 02:21:48 PM »
I'm not sure I buy all this about black players not respecting black coaches.  And I do think there are exceptions to that rule -- like Paul Silas.

First, Randy Ayers is NOT a good case study for this cause -- this guy followed one of the best coaches in the NBA and he had ZERO coaching experience.  He was expected to take a guy like Big Dog and make the 76'ers a better team than one of the best coaches in the league.  Umm, does anyone remember the last person who took a team with Big Dog on it and made it a great team?  Ummmm?!?  Nope!

Second, look at Portland -- Mo Cheeks isn't a great coach, IMO, but he is a solid one.  But let's be serious -- Cheeks isn't going to get any more respect than the previous white coach did (which was little to none).  It doesn't make any difference to Sheed, Patterson, Bonzi what color their coach was -- they weren't going to give ANY coach any respect.  

Third, I don't think most of the black coaches are any better than the run-of-the-mill white coaches who get hired and canned as quickly as black ones -- the difference are that their really aren't any black coaches in the top tier of head coaches (PJ, Sloan, Carlisle, etc.) -- I think Silas is the best black coach out there and while I like Silas, I wouldn't put him in the top tier but the next one down.  I think that Clemons, IMO, the next Laker head coach, will be a great head coach but only time will tell.  

I think there are other factors that explain this phenomenom at this point other than Stephen Smith's synopsis -- of course, I also think that it's Smith's job to stir things up.  Last, I would like everyone to speculate what would have happened had a white columnists made these comments (i.e. Walton, etc.).