Author Topic: Democrats attacking the First Amendment?  (Read 8718 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Democrats attacking the First Amendment?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 04:06:08 PM »
Already been said before.....Demo's are doing exactly the Republicans were doing with Farenheit.  If you are going to say the Demo's are attacking the first amendment, are wrong, and trying to undermind our rights....please apply those to the Rep party also.
I thought the Repubs were trying to get advertisements barred. I hadn't heard anything about them trying to get it pulled. Edumicate me, please!
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 04:15:33 PM »
Already been said before.....Demo's are doing exactly the Republicans were doing with Farenheit.  If you are going to say the Demo's are attacking the first amendment, are wrong, and trying to undermind our rights....please apply those to the Rep party also.
yeah but this is different becuz the demo's are wrong...............snicker, laugh....j/k
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 04:17:22 PM »
:Just heard on NPR that Voters Outreach America was caught throwing away democratic voter registration forms .  The company hired temps to go out and register ONLY registered voters. Votes that gone through were chunked.

Hmmm... Im sure there is deception on both sides.nonono:  
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 04:17:47 PM »
Only registered REPUBLICAN VOTERS by the way...
Paul

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 04:22:46 PM »
I thought the Repubs were trying to get advertisements barred. I hadn't heard anything about them trying to get it pulled. Edumicate me, please!

First of all, it's the same principle.  Both parties doing anything they can to prevent the ramifications of a piece of work.

Second, once commercials were aired for 9/11, Citizens United then tried to get the movie taken out of theaters.

It's the same damned thing Ted.  Both sides are wrong.

And for the Kerry campaign, he never supported the movie.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 04:47:44 PM »
Of course, if Dianne Feinstein and 17 other Democratic Senators have their way, Buffalonians and St. Louisans won't get to see it either. The Senators have written a letter of protest to the Federal Communications Commission. "To allow a broadcasting company to air such a blatantly partisan attack in lieu of regular programming, and to classify that attack as 'news programming' as has been suggested, would violate the spirit, and we think the text, of current law and regulation," they write.

Meanwhile, Terry McAuliffe called the program "an illegal in-kind contribution" to the Bush campaign and said the Democratic National Committee is filing a complaint with the Federal Election Commission.

Over at the FCC, Democratic Commissioner Michael Copps interrupted his Columbus Day holiday to dub the broadcast "an abuse of the public trust."

More ominously, Kerry adviser Chad Clanton told Fox News yesterday that "I think they (Sinclair) are going to regret doing this, and they better hope we don't win." Perhaps Mr. Clanton is auditioning for the H.R. Haldeman seat in the Nixon, er, Kerry White House.

Excuse me while I  :puke:  :puke:  :puke: .

With all due respect there is a VERY VERY VERY HUGE difference between some obviously partisan yet private political group like Citizans United attempting to influence advertisers and theatre owners and a member of Congress, or the head of the FCC challenging the legitimacy of a network to air a "documentary" no matter how sleazy.

The real issue, and I must admit I am disgusted that none of our lefties have stood up and denounced this, are the comments from the Kerry advisor Chad Clanton.  All the moralizing about Mel Gibson not publically denouncing his father, but that statement goes by here with barely a wisp.  Give me a break.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 08:30:36 AM »
But the Democratic Party LOVED what Moore did, lies and all, and that's why they gave him a spot on the platform during the Convention -- to connect Moore, his film and the democratic party.

Michael Moore was at the Republican Convention too.

Also, there's a law that you can't have any tv advertisements about a political documentary within 30 days of a primary or 60 days of an election.  Republican officials actually tried to prevent ads for Farenheit 9/11 because it was within 30 days of the Republican National Convention, which was technically a primary.

So don't act like the Republicans didn't try to stop Farenheith 9/11.  They did.

Not to mention, Republicans flat out trying stop the release of 9/11
-----------------------------------
Shadow Divers: According to Variety, now that Sony/Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has landed domestic DVD distribution rights to Fahrenheit 9/11, studio is facing the wrath of some of same Republicans who went after Michael Moore before the controversial doc was released.

Days before "Fahrenheit 9/11" opened in theaters, Citizens' United, a conservative group in Washington, filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission, charging that the movie and any ads related to its promotion amount to political electioneering and are subject to the same restraints of the new campaign finance laws.
--------------------------------------------------------------

In essence:
I don't like Michael Moore
Republicans did the same damned thing.   There's no hypocrisy.  They both tried to sensor and destroy the 1st amendment.  And neither will be successful.
Michael Moore was at the Republican Convention too.

Woah, this is some SERIOUS spin, dbods.  Care to elaborate WHY Moore was at the Republican Convention?  Because he was PAID to give the opposing perspective of what occured.  I forget the woman who was hired to do the same thing at the Democratic Convention -- mainly, because she got canned after turning in her first story and being unwilling to do the rewrite that was insisted upon.  

I like the spin attempt -- pretty humorous!  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Moore wasn't at the Republican Convention because they invited him there based on his support of the republican party.  You also didn't see him on the platform did you?  

Demo's did EVERYTHING short of publicly affirming his movie in words (they obviously did it in action) -- still are -- and yet, want to stop a TV station from showing a movie on TV that does the same thing.  I don't have much problem with criticism -- I HIGHLY criticize the untruth of Moore's movie -- just as I'm sure there is a great deal of untruth in the movie that will be shown on television.  However, it's one thing to be critical -- it's another to try and STOP the movie from showing.  Perhaps republicans can send this movie around the world too -- I know that the middle east would love to see a movie on Kerry.  I think that's a HUGE mistake, IMO -- on BOTH movies.  I realize that because we are a democracy, we air our dirty laundry in public -- but I REALLY hate these movies because I think the feed the wrong messages to our enemy -- terrorists.  I'm sure many terrorists enjoyed all the lies that Moore proffered in his movie.  The same, unfortunately, I believe is true of this upcoming movie.  

I actually have a problem with using the media in this way.  Moore has opened a HUGE door that I think we SHOULD question.  Should Hollywood (whether TV OR the big screen) be a venue for political expression?  Is that really a door we want to swing wide open and invite anyone to see?

Another struggle I have, Scott Peterson is now on trial -- there has been a movie out for quite some time now (and another one that just hit the video stores) that has proclaimed him guilty -- even before his trial.  Does he LOOK guilty?  IMO, absolutely, yes!  However, at this point, it all appears to be quite CIMCUMSTANTIAL evidence -- that bothers me -- and for someone to make a movie BEFORE his trial was even completed is VERY wrong, IMO, no matter HOW much I dislike the guy and think he's guilty.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 08:34:07 AM »
I see a BIG difference. You have to PAY to go see this movie at a movie theater. This swiftie message is being hand-delivered free of charge (right to your door) by a right wing TV station.  
Paul

Guest_Randy

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 08:38:27 AM »
I see a BIG difference. You have to PAY to go see this movie at a movie theater. This swiftie message is being hand-delivered free of charge (right to your door) by a right wing TV station.
Umm, you have a choice to go and PAY to see a movie (on a big screen which adds greater effects, etc.) or CHANGE the stupid channel and NOT watch it.  If this was ALL that was going to be shown during that time slot, it would be different but it's one of many, many choices.  Your argument is very weak and shows your political persuasion.  

Do you have a problem with the fact that Moore is trying to get his movie out on pay-per-view the day of the election?  Or that he is trying to get gifts to college students to get them to register them to vote -- AFTER and DURING he tells them how they should vote?  

BOTH of these people are VERY wrong, IMO, but anyone who supports one and chastises the other is showing their partisan colors.