Author Topic: Spurs fans (101, X3, Lurker)  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Spurs fans (101, X3, Lurker)
« on: May 16, 2004, 10:06:47 AM »
Props for the great season you guys had, tough to lose a series like this but you guys will bounce back.

Thanks particularly to X3 for his congrats last night, class and grace al the way, (even if it did read  like the ramblings a crying in his beer innebriated mexican  :alcohol: ).

I would have posted last night but I got home kind of late seeing as traffic was so bad coming out of Staples Center and all, you see, I was at the game  :D  
Dan

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 08:04:30 AM »
Thanks, I tuned myself out, didn't take the game loss too personal this time.  Pop was clearly outcoached. Much to rigid in his substitutions, why Mr. Energy Malik Rose didn't play and why Willis and T Parker played that 4th when they were having a horrible game is beyond me.

Props, good luck in Round 3. Why I think you will have the advantage, I think either team will give you loads of trouble.  

Zen to go away from the triangle was a great move. :cheers:  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 08:25:09 AM »
Thanks, I tuned myself out, didn't take the game loss too personal this time.  Pop was clearly outcoached. Much to rigid in his substitutions, why Mr. Energy Malik Rose didn't play and why Willis and T Parker played that 4th when they were having a horrible game is beyond me.

Props, good luck in Round 3. Why I think you will have the advantage, I think either team will give you loads of trouble.  

Zen to go away from the triangle was a great move. :cheers:
I dont know about Pop being outcoched, i think Pop did a great job, I thik its just the fact that ALL of our shooters dissapeared on us...with the exception of devin brown of course, but yes we could not buy a basket at all.  

I also think its horrible that people here in SA would say that Horry threw the game, PLEASE - no way did Horry throw the game, he wanted to win just as much as anybody else on our team, even if it was against his old team, I give Bigshot Bob props on a great year for him, he impressed me big time, he just froze along with everyone else on our team did this series, no biggie.  I dont think the Spurs will bring him back though, maybe they can sign and trade him if they are going to get rd of him - i dont want to see him go.  if he does leave, expect Malik to stay.

saw the news last night most of the "c" team will be gone more than likely, no biggie there though, we are talking about guys we almost never used, with the exception of Kevin "t-rex arms" willis, i dont know if he will be back, hope he is, i like him on our team for toughness.  first priority will be re-signing manu this summer for us, hedo MIGHT be second priority - but to be honest and i HAVE SAID THIS BEFORE - pop gave hedo wayyyyyy too much confidence, and i for would expect the Spurs to go after Stephen Jackson this summer, and i would hope JAckson comes back (jackson really grew when abdur rahim got traded and started scoring 30+ points consistently in atlant and has said he wants to come back and play for us.)

The Spurs will try to buy out Luis Scola's contract this summer, the big argentine played on the team that beat the americans with jermaine o'neal on it.  he gave o'neal fits to the point o'neal wanted to fight him, they compare this guy to Elton Brand, some even saying he might be better - this would be great to have a two power forward line up on our team again tim and luis could be our second coming of dave and tim - just upgraded.  I think the spurs will be back in the finals next year if we sign jackson and scola, atleast i hope we do.

our team played their best even if they did lose their touch, and lakers played solid, cant fault them for that, i think both teams cold win it all, and i feel the Spurs did have the better team - but when it came down to it, LA had more heart this time around - like i said game 5 the shot fell in this time, look who wins...just like it did for us last year, cant feel bad about that, it was not an embarrasing loss thats for sure, and i think our team can come away feeling confident about this loss instead of being devastated like in 2000.  yet for all the complaints this year, i think Pop DID a great job with this team, he had the scheme to win, but with no scoring on our end what could you do?  he had to resort to the hack a shaq of all thing because of that.  but, yeah, dont blame Poip for this guys...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 09:04:04 AM »
Horry throwing the game?  Did anyone else catch how pissed off he was after the buzzer went off in game 6?  He didn't even bother to go give congrads to any of his ex-teammates.  Guys he played with for a long time.

I must say that the Spurs organization is a direct reflection of the kind of people that support them.......very classy.  All the Spurs fans I spoke with were just great.  I don't think alot of the Laker fans could be as classy as all you guys have been (not just around here on the board but IRL also).  This Spurs team is still an excellent team, very young, has one of the best players in the world, and alot of space to make moves to get a few players.  Im sure both sides look forward to a rematch next year in the playoffs.  

Yes I am glad we took out the Spurs and finally deserve the 'team to beat' title that we were given without proving we could beat the defending champs........but this playoffs is far from over.  The week worth of rest WILL NOT benefit us at all.  Tired Malone and Kobe or not.  Long breaks never help any team when it comes to timming and being on the same page.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 09:24:19 AM »
He didn't throw the game. He just got lazy and played horrible high school D on Kobe. Didn't even move, didn't try to get up on his grill. Showed his age on that play. He hustled hard though, even though he didn't make shots.
Paul

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 09:25:34 AM »
Thanks Dan & westkoast for the props.  I'm glad that the Spurs could be the catalyst that the Lakers needed to realize that they have to EARN the title on the court not just in the media.  Props to the Lakers for making the adjustments needed to come out on top in this series.  IMO Karl is your team's MVP this year....his heart & hustle set the tone for the game 6 win.  And Kobe decided to show Shaq's daddy up by playing some of the best team ball I have ever seen him play.  Add in Shaq's decision to expend energy on the defensive end of the court and it all added to the ability of the Lakers to withstand anything the Spurs threw at them.  As long as they maintain the same focus for the next two rounds they have a chance to run the table with no more losses.

Despite all the differences in opinion expressed here I enjoy the discussions...and minor jabs....that the fans of both teams are able to exchange.  

Can't say I will be rooting for the Lakers....nor against them....but I will be rooting for some exciting basketball.

And in the words of your gov.....we'll be back!

:cheers:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 09:26:44 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 10:05:49 AM »
You know Lurker, you really hit the nail on the head, Karl Malone is the ONLY reason LA is in this position. No way Kobe or Payton or anyone else in this organization, including Phil Jackson, can motivate Shaq's big butt to play defense and at the same time convince Kobe to play team basketball. Shaq's help defense on the pick and roll to me is a result of Malone, the master of the play cluing him in on how it can be defended, I haven't seen him this active defensively in years.

Kobe and Malone play very, very, well together, as far as hard work and desire, they are cut from the same mold, their philosophy in that regard is simbiotic, where they diverge is in the team concept, Malone is a perrenial team player and Kobe is... well, we all know the answer to that one. The thing is, if anyone could convince Kobe of the bleeding obvious, that TEAMS win championships, it is Karl Malone, he seemed to have finally gotten the message the last couple of games and involved his teammates much more than is his wont.

I know most of the folks here don't like Karl Malone, but if you will all remember way back to the MSNBC days, I have always voiced my respect for him as an person and as a player, no one I can think of has his work ethic and discipline when it comes to this game, no one except maybe Kobe has more focus on the task at hand. Precious few in the NBA understand team basketball as well as he does, and no one, absolutely NO ONE, could have stabilized and reined in this dysfunctional, schizophrenic, looney tunes basketball team we have down here in the cosmic center. I think to call him a dirty player in the disparaging terms he has been is hypocritical in a game full of dirty players, Peelers thug elbow is a perfect example, Bowens flying kick is another one. Few are the players who will not get away with what they can out there, Malone is no different, he's worse than some and not as bad as a lot. I am not saying he is right for it but it certainly is not exclusive to him, he plays hard nosed, physical basketball, and I for one, hope he gets his ring this year.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 10:36:04 AM »
I cannot think of a dirtier player than Malone.  The closest thing is Oakley and Mahorn, but IMO Karl is dirtier.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 10:38:56 AM »
Malone REALLY frustrated Teemy.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 10:54:29 AM »
I cannot think of a dirtier player than Malone.  The closest thing is Oakley and Mahorn, but IMO Karl is dirtier.
and he likes country music and drives a big rig.....soethings just wrong with that guy...

and whatever happenned to the rogaine ads!!!  did he just give up and shave it all?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 11:43:05 AM »
Congradulations to the Lakers and their fans. I stated prior to the playoffs that Malone would make the difference if the Lakers win, and he certainly is proving me right. Not winning a ring for two decades can be a heck of a motivator and he clearly is keeping the Shaq/Kobe tandem focused on the task at hand.

You shouldn't compare a frustration elbow like Peeler threw to a career-long philosophy of injuring opponents. Malone is the master at throwing elbows at players while they are not looking and not prepared for them, so as to maximize the damage without fear of retaliation as the player seldom gets up. I respect Malone's ability, but I see no reason to honor him for potentially ruining the careers of others.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 12:03:30 PM »
That's not what I am saying at all, how many careers has Malone ended? Of course he throws elbows, of course he does it on purpose, but rare indeed, in fact, I don't think he has ever pulled a stunt like Peeler did yesterday.

Peeler threw a hard elbow to Garnett's chest, knocking him to the ground on the other end of the floor and Garnett, still obviously in pain from it, unwisely retaliated on the other end. What Peeler did next was not just a little shove or a "frustration elbow", it was clean, hard intentional and vicious shot to Garnett's jaw, and it came very close to a shot to the throat, as punk and low class as you can get and to dismiss it as less than that is disingenuous. He aimed high and with intent to injure.

Malone may be dirty, and indeed sneaky about it, but let's not excuse Peeler's act as understandable while excoriating Malone, if Peeler had hit Garnett in the throat as hard as he threw that elbow, Garnett might not be playing game 7.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 12:18:53 PM »
That's not what I am saying at all, how many careers has Malone ended? Of course he throws elbows, of course he does it on purpose, but rare indeed, in fact, I don't think he has ever pulled a stunt like Peeler did yesterday.

Peeler threw a hard elbow to Garnett's chest, knocking him to the ground on the other end of the floor and Garnett, still obviously in pain from it, unwisely retaliated on the other end. What Peeler did next was not just a little shove or a "frustration elbow", it was clean, hard intentional and vicious shot to Garnett's jaw, and it came very close to a shot to the throat, as punk and low class as you can get and to dismiss it as less than that is disingenuous. He aimed high and with intent to injure.

Malone may be dirty, and indeed sneaky about it, but let's not excuse Peeler's act as understandable while excoriating Malone, if Peeler had hit Garnett in the throat as hard as he threw that elbow, Garnett might not be playing game 7.
Dan,

You're either still drunk or don't know squat about Malone as a Jazz or Laker.

As a Laker, Malone's elbow to Steve Nash durring the regular season was worse than Peelers.

As a  Jazz, Malone's elbow to Isiah Thomas was one of, if not the, most brutal shot I've ever seeen.  K Willis shot on Scott Williams, Magic Johnson's shot on Isiah Thomas and JR Reids shot on AC Green rank right up there as well.  Dirtiest play IMO is till K. McHale's clothsline of Rambus, but that was more of a take down than a shot.

Don't give me any crap about Zeke deserving those shots either.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 12:23:39 PM »
Dan, I called what Peeler did a frustration elbow because he did what he did in the heat of the game, and directly because of what had occurred earlier. Calling it anything else makes no sense. You cannot and should not compare that to Malone's systematic and devious use of his elbows his entire career to injure opponents when they are not looking. Garnett was looking right at Peeler and his own elbow right before, plus that look were obvious taunts daring Anthony to retaliate. I would hardly call that punk. Punk is knocking out a defenseless opponent when his head is turned to maximize the effect. Punk is knocking the teeth out of the head of players who can't get out of the way of it. Punk is doing this for an entire career with the blessing of the League, so you can continue doing it.

Punk is being rewarded for it by joining your former team's biggest rival, badmouthing your old team along the way, only because you feel that the crowning glory of an elbow-spewing career would be to win a ring to justify your place in the Hall of Fame.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:24:29 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 02:38:16 PM »
Now you see, I knew the reaction my post would elicit is exactly the one I am getting, the Malone haters on this board would not tolerate less, and I am totally cool with that. Malone has done plenty to deserve the reputation and dislike people have for him. but his work ethic, skills, determination, and team play cannot be ignored, nor IMO downplayed.

WOW, I am not drunk, I don't get drunk, and yes, as a lifelong Laker fan I well know Malone as a Jazz and a Laker player with regard to his antics on court, I've always thought he was a dirty player, not denying it all. But people here act like he wrote the book on it, he wouldn't even have been in the top 2-3 at Detroit for dirty players and in today's NBA he is not too different from plenty of players so how about a little perspective here? Malone gets away with what he can like everybody does, his size and strength merely add to the hurt he can put on you, Peeler's inexcusable, hard, deliberate, angry elbows at BOTH ends of the floor couldn't even drop Garnett, at least the second and worse of the 2, couldn't, had Malone thrown that shot, Garnett would still be on the floor, so his size makes it worse, but it doesn't change the fact that other players will do it in a minute if they can get away with it.

JoMal, give me a just a small break on the heat of the game nonsense! It occured DIRECTLY beacuse of what PEELER DID EARLIER, he instigated it and his intent was to knock Garnett on his butt, like he had done earlier down the court, he was fortunate he didn't connect on Garnett's throat, or the topic here would be should he be thrown out of the league. And since when did Malone keep his mouth shut when he was WITH the Jazz about his teammates, let alone wait until he leaves? He has always said what is on his mind, regardless of the situation, regardless of camera's rolling or not, the only NBA player that shoots off his mouth more is Shaq, but at least Malone is more self-effacing and takes responsibility for losses as well as wins.

X3, so what he likes country music and drives a semi when he can? While I can't fathom for the life of me why anyone in their right mind would like country music, or actually LIKE driving a tractor trailer, I still prefer someone like that to these gangsta rap listenin', pot smoking, shove their wives out of house with no clothes doin', adultery committin', gun totin', the world owes me a livin' thinkin', spoiled little pukes that populate the NBA these days. Dirty play aside, Malone and his ilk, you know, the ones that stay out of trouble off the court, like Tim Duncan as another example, may not be glamourous, or have the street cred, but I personally think, having survived the whole gangbangin, in and out of jail desire for "street cred" in my youth while my friends were winding up dead or in prison, that that is a good thing, we could use more like 'em. The thug punks have taken over and the influence on today's kids is in small measure what's wrong with society today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 04:18:56 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan