Author Topic: Spurs’ Protest Denied  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Spurs’ Protest Denied
« on: May 14, 2004, 02:27:56 PM »
NEW YORK, May 14 -- The National Basketball Association announced today that Commissioner David Stern has denied the San Antonio Spurs' protest of its 74-73 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers on May 13.
The Spurs claimed that Lakers guard Derek Fisher’s game-winning shot was not taken within the 0.4 seconds that remained in the game when the ball was in-bounded. Video tape review revealed that the game clock was started appropriately and confirmed the finding of the referees using instant replay that the shot was released before time expired.

Thank you Mr. Stern, the check is in the mail :rolleyes:  
Dan

Guest_Randy

Spurs’ Protest Denied
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 02:47:27 PM »
There have been some questionable calls at the end of games but this wasn't one of them.  Was it a lucky shot?  ABSOLUTELY!  Just as lucky as TD's shot was at the other end.  Accept your loss and move on by trying to get your team ready rather than showing yourself to be a poor loser.  Even Spurs fans (and players) have to be embarrassed by this -- this sounds like something PJ would do!  :crazy:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs’ Protest Denied
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 03:31:36 PM »
Basically what I expected.  Even if the league feels that the Spurs are right they wouldn't overturn a playoff game.  Look at the Hornets game last year where it was even more obvious and the league didn't overturn.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Spurs’ Protest Denied
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 03:57:18 PM »
Basically what I expected.  Even if the league feels that the Spurs are right they wouldn't overturn a playoff game.  Look at the Hornets game last year where it was even more obvious and the league didn't overturn.
You poor loser!  Find someone who ISN'T a Spurs fan who agrees that this protest is legit -- until that time the Spurs organization is just a bunch of poor losers.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs’ Protest Denied
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 04:31:52 PM »
Yes, I am such a poor loser Randy.  I am soooooo sorry that I have inflicted upon you such terrible loser opinions.  At least I am man enough to stand up for my opinion instead of calling people names.  Any one who doesn't fit your view of the world becomes losers or idiots.  

My opinion is that the Spurs had every right to file a protest.  And your BS about that you would condemn the Lakers for a similar move is asinine to say the least.  I also stated that I didn't believe the protest would be upheld.

As far as the timekeeper...I guess national writers don't know anything either:
One of the three officials triggers the start with a wireless device on his belt. A neutral scorekeeper does, too, as a backup.

So the timekeeper is neutral.  They generally are brought in so that there can be no "home cooking" as far as clock manipulation.

Don't be so pompous!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Spurs’ Protest Denied
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 05:07:56 PM »
Yes, I am such a poor loser Randy.  I am soooooo sorry that I have inflicted upon you such terrible loser opinions.  At least I am man enough to stand up for my opinion instead of calling people names.  Any one who doesn't fit your view of the world becomes losers or idiots.  

My opinion is that the Spurs had every right to file a protest.  And your BS about that you would condemn the Lakers for a similar move is asinine to say the least.  I also stated that I didn't believe the protest would be upheld.

As far as the timekeeper...I guess national writers don't know anything either:
One of the three officials triggers the start with a wireless device on his belt. A neutral scorekeeper does, too, as a backup.

So the timekeeper is neutral.  They generally are brought in so that there can be no "home cooking" as far as clock manipulation.

Don't be so pompous!
Hey, you have to do what you're good at and I'm really good at being pompous!

As for your comments, not EVERY fan DOES believe that the protest was legit.  As for scorekeepers being brought in -- show me where the guy in SA was from and THEN I will believe you.  They are usually local people who are paid by the NBA but they don't shuttle these guys around the country like they do refs.  You prove to me that he is from outside the SA area and I will be happy to :hail: before you -- otherwise you are blowing hot air because that's what YOU are good at.

And I would decry the Lakers organization if they made a similar protest and it really doesn't make any difference whether you think I would or not.  As you can see from some of your fellow posters -- many believe the same as I do -- that it wasn't a classy move and it served no point other than making them look bad.  And that has NOTHING to do with what organization did it -- whether it was SA, SacTown, the Lakers, etc.  I would expect that, however, far more from Dallas and SacTown than I would SA.  

At least I am man enough to stand up for my opinion instead of calling people names.  Any one who doesn't fit your view of the world becomes losers or idiots.

Hmm, I wonder how you would feel if someone came on here stating that your team could never win a game without refs help?  Want me to try that every day for your entire posting life?  The guy has WELL deserved the name and the title and everyone here, including you, knows that he isn't looking to discuss, merely to spread his hatred.  Anyone who does that is an idiot!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Spurs’ Protest Denied
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 06:01:22 PM »
this sounds like something PJ would do! 

that it wasn't a classy move and it served no point other than making them look bad.  And that has NOTHING to do with what organization did it -- whether it was SA, SacTown, the Lakers, etc.  I would expect that, however, far more from Dallas and SacTown than I would SA.

And, apparently, you would expect it from the Lakers as well. Randy, sometimes you must argue just because it is your time of the month.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."