Author Topic: What happens if SacTown loses this series?  (Read 1483 times)

Guest_Randy

What happens if SacTown loses this series?
« on: May 11, 2004, 11:01:28 AM »
This team has loaded and reloaded with very little regard to money and yet nothing seems to bring them what they have paid so dearly to purchase -- an NBA title.

What happens if SacTown loses this series?  Especially after winning game one and so many opportunities to win game 2 and 3.  

What happens to Adelmann?  Do they keep him or try for a coach who doesn't seem to make stupid decisions even though he has proved (at least at times) that he is a brilliant coach (i.e. motion offense, defensive scheme against the Lakers in the last match-up of the season, etc.).

What about Webber?  This quote was taken off of an ESPN story:  
And, being inimitable C-Webb, the boos from home fans and questions about his value to the Kings generated by how he's played since returning in March won't be forgotten. Regardless of how this season ends, Webber doesn't want to return to Sacramento next season, a source close to Webber said over the weekend. The source also says that while Webber's pride was hurt by the last-stand benching against Dallas, he can "live with it." A bigger issue, the source says, is that Webber questions if some of his teammates share the fans' doubts about his value.

Umm, CWebb, just who the heck do you think is going to take a player who can't find a way to be happy no matter where he is?  Who carries a ton of baggage with him, has a monstrous contract and then add two other huge factors:  1)  can't get himself healthy and 2) can't take his team to the promised land.  

Just where does CWebb think he is going?  If anything, IMO, Adelmann's decision to play CWebb so many minutes when he isn't healthy has affected the Kings negatively -- not positively.  I've heard so much from Webber as well as his teammates that he is playing on one leg and isn't healthy -- umm, what happened to CWebb's comments about coming back healthy?  Oh, he must have thought he was under oath again!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:05:21 AM »

What happens to Adelmann?  though he has proved (at least at times) that he is a brilliant coach (i.e. motion offense, defensive scheme against the Lakers in the last match-up of the season, etc.).
He will become offensive coordinator of the Spurs.  Helping them to thier 3rd Real Title while fitting Kobe into the Spurs scheme.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:44:42 AM »

What happens to Adelmann?  though he has proved (at least at times) that he is a brilliant coach (i.e. motion offense, defensive scheme against the Lakers in the last match-up of the season, etc.).
He will become offensive coordinator of the Spurs.  Helping them to thier 3rd Real Title while fitting Kobe into the Spurs scheme.
Spurs don't have the cap room for Kobe.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »

What happens to Adelmann?  though he has proved (at least at times) that he is a brilliant coach (i.e. motion offense, defensive scheme against the Lakers in the last match-up of the season, etc.).
Spurs don't have the cap room for Kobe.
We don't want no stinkin' rapist either!

;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)   j/k

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 12:03:13 PM »
What happens if SacTown loses this series?  Especially after winning game one and so many opportunities to win game 2 and 3.  

What happens to Adelmann?  Do they keep him or try for a coach who doesn't seem to make stupid decisions even though he has proved (at least at times) that he is a brilliant coach (i.e. motion offense, defensive scheme against the Lakers in the last match-up of the season, etc.).

What about Webber?
Not enough will happen, that's what.

Adelman clearly cannot compete with the better coaches in the NBA during the playoffs. Other coaches understand the stress and strain of playing these games, of how hard it can be physically and mentally on the players, so they figure ways for making some breaks possible to ease this strain. Adelman ignores most of his bench and watches his star players wear out down the stretch, then blames the officials.

Webber is not going anywhere and he should. He gets some well-deserved home boos and now he is suggesting he should go play elsewhere? Good luck. He can't deal with losing some of the fans' favors because of poor play here in the most loyal town in the NBA, he has completely lost touch with reality if he believes any other city would welcome him in his current state.  

The Kings have some solid core players in Bibby, Peja, and Miller. Christie and Vlade are just not that young anymore, so their futures are questionable with the Kings. We need Bobby Jackson to return to health and stay with Sacramento. Songaila is a keeper, if he can get on the court, that is. Webber's injury simply makes him untradable, unhappy, and discouraging to have around because his loyal fan base finds fault with him playing poorly and he pouts over it.  The rest of the Kings are all replaceable, but to get any worth in a trade it probably would involve one of the first three names mentioned, and not Webber, which makes it unlikely much can be done, though Petrie is a master at this sort of thing.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »
From another board:

With an anticipated cap of $44M next year, how much room could the Spurs obtain to free up Kobe?

UNDER $10 MILLION

Here are the numbers, and how close the Spurs could get by doing everything within their means.

Kobe's current contract that he would opt out of: $14,625,000 for 2004-05.
Max contract for 2004-05 for Kobe, new deal: $14,172,375 in yr 1

Spurs current impending cap charges for 2004-05. (copied from David Lord article at dallasbasketball.com)
Duncan 14,260,649
Nesterovic 6,160,000
Rose 5,462,500
Bowen 4.106,667
Parker 1.545,441
Brown 695,046
Turkoglu 2,803,834 cap hit for qualifying offer for RFA
Ginobili 1,929,375 cap hit for qualifying offer for RFA
Ward 1,100,000 player option, perhaps might opt out
Horry 5,408,700 non-guaranteed, likely July 1 cut
Rookie scale for 1st pick 750,000 estimated
CURRENT TOTAL ...... 44,222,212

Things Spurs can do to reduce impending cap charges: persuade Ward to opt out. Renounce rights to Turkoglu, Ginobili, and Horry. Give away, trade, or renounce #1 pick.

Resulting cap for 2004-05: Duncan, Nesterovic, Rose, Bowen, Parker, Brown total 32,230,303. Before adding Kobe, you must leave room for 5 other players at the minimum per CBA rules to field a full roster - your cap always carries a rookie minimum slot charge for unfilled slots - total 1,926,385.

Minimum cap number for SA for 2004-05, if they max their room to sign Kobe - 34,156,688.

Thus with an anticipated cap of $44M or so, the Spurs have $10M or less to offer Kobe. And they would have to gut their team to even get that amount free.

Does Kobe toss away $14.6M for one year or a long term deal starting at over $14M, to sign a deal starting at under $10M? No way. Over a 7 year deal, with max raises in each deal, the difference becomes over $40M!

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 12:09:20 PM »
I wouldn't want Kobe on our team, he's too selfish. Although,the Spurs would make him the star, Duncan is always willing to give up his limelight if it makes the team better. He's just like D-Rob.  (A rarity in the NBA).
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 12:13:43 PM »
The Kings have some solid core players in Bibby, Peja, and Miller. Christie and Vlade are just not that young anymore, so their futures are questionable with the Kings. We need Bobby Jackson to return to health and stay with Sacramento. Songaila is a keeper, if he can get on the court, that is.

Christie has single handedly kept the Kings in the playoffs.  The time to trade him is now, you can get some solid value for him.

Webber's injury simply makes him untradable, unhappy, and discouraging to have around because his loyal fan base finds fault with him playing poorly and he pouts over it.  The rest of the Kings are all replaceable, but to get any worth in a trade it probably would involve one of the first three names mentioned, and not Webber, which makes it unlikely much can be done, though Petrie is a master at this sort of thing.

We always cap on Webber and sometimes is seems a bit too harsh, that is until you see a performance like last night.  He was playing hot patato with the ball when a critical shot was required.  He did take one inside for a game tying bucket but other than that he was mostly a perimeter "please don't pass the ball to me" player when it mattered.

Webber is a sidekick with a superstar contract.  He needs to go where there is an established goto guy.  Orlando and Philly would work for Webber.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 12:15:35 PM »
I wouldn't want Kobe on our team, he's too selfish. Although,the Spurs would make him the star, Duncan is always willing to give up his limelight if it makes the team better. He's just like D-Rob.  (A rarity in the NBA).
Come on, I kid around about how stupid Texans are, please don't start proving it as fact with your "I don't want Kobe" bs.

Please pendejo!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"