Author Topic: OT- stupid question of the day...  (Read 4521 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- stupid question of the day...
« on: May 10, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »
Is there a difference between a "new york minute" and an "LA minute"??

discuss..., enlighten....

:huh:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 12:38:53 PM »
NYers walk very quickly and will push anyone along who doesnt keep up with the pace.  When the light turns to "walk" its like the opening gate of a horserace or the start of a marathon.  Jostling for postion, etc.

LA is wayy more laid back.  You might see Randy, WOW, and Laker Fan all three together deciding to change directions, change directions again, change directions a third time, twist n turn, break out in a twist n shout dance, all on the same cross light on their way to the Laker paraphanelia store.

q.  Where have you been outside of Texas?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 12:43:35 PM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 12:45:03 PM »
NYers walk very quickly and will push anyone along who doesnt keep up with the pace.  When the light turns to "walk" its like the opening gate of a horserace or the start of a marathon.  Jostling for postion, etc.

LA is wayy more laid back.  You might see Randy, WOW, and Laker Fan all three together deciding to change directions, change directions again, change directions a third time, twist n turn, break out in a twist n shout dance, all on the same cross light on their way to the Laker paraphanelia store.

vegas, new orleans, alabama, arizona, new mexico, and mexico....nothing major...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 12:47:13 PM »
Is there a difference between a "new york minute" and an "LA minute"??

discuss..., enlighten....

:huh:
New York Minute = 10 seconds or the time it takes a New Yorker to get PO'd.  You typically never see the 10 second threshold broken with a New Yorker.

LA Minute = 60 seconds or the time it takes to order a latte and speed dial your nanny's cell phone.

Jew York Minute = 62 seconds when recieving or 59 seconds when giving.

LA Minuto = time it takes to get your girlfriend pregnant, signed up for WIC and issued food stamps.

Texass Minute = 2 hours or the time it takes to figure out what the little hand means vs the big hand on an analog watch.  Typically a Texan will purchase a digital watch before the 2 hour time limit expires.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 12:48:21 PM »
vegas, new orleans, alabama, arizona, new mexico, and mexico....nothing major... [/quote]
 cold weather cools off your tortillas too much?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 12:54:26 PM »
New York Minute = 10 seconds or the time it takes a New Yorker to get PO'd.  You typically never see the 10 second threshold broken with a New Yorker.

LA Minute = 60 seconds or the time it takes to order a latte and speed dial your nanny's cell phone.

Jew York Minute = 62 seconds when recieving or 59 seconds when giving.

LA Minuto = time it takes to get your girlfriend pregnant, signed up for WIC and issued food stamps.

Texass Minute = 2 hours or the time it takes to figure out what the little hand means vs the big hand on an analog watch.  Typically a Texan will purchase a digital watch before the 2 hour time limit expires.
Don't forget the Texas two step....

Step one:  Order a bean burrito from your favorite hole in the wall.

Step two:  Scram loudly when you find the banos is locked.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 01:21:59 PM »

Step one:  Order a bean burrito from your favorite hole in the wall.

Step two:  Scram loudly when you find the banos is locked.
Now, that sounds like a real Texas minute.

As for the NY minute thing, they have the image of being so busy and hurried, while LA has the laidback thing going. I get that.

But what I really find fascinating about New Yorkers is the sophistication of their arguments. You know you are arguing with the best when you get into one with a New Yorker, especially about sports. They are all know-it-alls, who DO know a lot. You have to be prepared going in and prepared for the counter points that undoubtedly will be coming back at you.

I got into it with a bartender from New York at a sports bar in San Francisco some years back and the back and forth nature of the discussion was so memorable I still can recall it. The other patrons there were thoroughly enjoying the banter. After it cooled down, that bartender bought my wife and me drinks and thanked me for providing him a very enjoyable time. It was fun because that guy really knew his stuff (baseball discussion, not basketball)

New Yorkers are great.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 01:34:44 PM »

Step one:  Order a bean burrito from your favorite hole in the wall.

Step two:  Scram loudly when you find the banos is locked.

As for the NY minute thing, they have the image of being so busy and hurried, while LA has the laidback thing going. I get that.

But what I really find fascinating about New Yorkers is the sophistication of their arguments. You know you are arguing with the best when you get into one with a New Yorker, especially about sports. They are all know-it-alls, who DO know a lot. You have to be prepared going in and prepared for the counter points that undoubtedly will be coming back at you.

I got into it with a bartender from New York at a sports bar in San Francisco some years back and the back and forth nature of the discussion was so memorable I still can recall it. The other patrons there were thoroughly enjoying the banter. After it cooled down, that bartender bought my wife and me drinks and thanked me for providing him a very enjoyable time. It was fun because that guy really knew his stuff (baseball discussion, not basketball)

New Yorkers are great.
In LA you HAVE to be laid back -- because you are going to be stuck in traffic for hours and you aren't going anywhere.

What still amazes me about California?  You pay a TON of money for a house that you don't spend enough time in because you are always stuck in traffic.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:46:54 PM »

New Yorkers are great.
In LA you HAVE to be laid back -- because you are going to be stuck in traffic for hours and you aren't going anywhere.

What still amazes me about California?  You pay a TON of money for a house that you don't spend enough time in because you are always stuck in traffic.
think i read the average house in the la area (moderate size house that is) goes for 300k or so.  is that so?  you could buy a nice home with seberal rooms and a great view of a lake river or hill country out here for that money...

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 01:50:16 PM »

New Yorkers are great.

think i read the average house in the la area (moderate size house that is) goes for 300k or so.  is that so?  you could buy a nice home with seberal rooms and a great view of a lake river or hill country out here for that money...
Yeah, and SF is even worse.  300's in San Jose only buys you 1100 square feet.  I thought Seattle was bad -- but it's not nearly that bad.  My parents live in the midwest -- you can buy a plantation complete with slaves for 300's.  Okay, it was a JOKE already!  :unsure:  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 02:00:32 PM »
Most of us homeowners in California probably would not qualify to buy our own homes if we had to in today's real estate market
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 02:05:36 PM »
I actually looked into taking a job in Merced, CA.  The housing market there had experienced a 2% rate of growth in housing costs over the past two years -- houses that sold for $100,000 2 years ago were going for $148,000 -- and that trend was staying strong.  Quite amazing -- but even more amazing?  People were buying houses there and driving to the BAY area every day for work -- because they couldn't afford the $300,000 crackerjack boxes in the outskirts of the bay, they drove 2 hours one-way each day (four hours on the road) to work to pay half the amount and get a little more house.  

This midwest boy just couldn't fathom that kind of life.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 02:27:52 PM »
300K?  Maybe 3 years ago.  LA is around 400K, OC is around 450K and SD is around 420K.

I bought a house back in 1998 and I just sold it for 500K.  I couldn't afford to buy my own house back.  I bought my current house for 250K back in 2002 and it's now valued at 380K just two years later.  Pretty soon I won't be able to buy my own house back again.

My father in law is looking to retire and has offered to sell both his houses to anyone of his 6 kids for what he owes on the mortgages.  House 1 is worth about 400K and he owes about 120K.  House two is worth around 580K and he owes about 170K.  My wife wants house two because it's a 6 bed 4 bath and we could fit in there quite nicely.  The only catch is if one of the sons buys the house he must pay his two brothers and mom 20K each, if one of the daughters buys the house she has to pay her two sisters and mom 20K.

My wife is the only one who can afford to buy one of the houses so I think I'll be moving very soon.  Both houses need around 50-120K worth of restoration work.  Both are classic homes and could fetch quite a pretty penny if they were restored to their original state.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jn

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »
It's getting uglier here too Randy.  Condo prices, in particular, are skyrocketing.  A number of old blue collar businesses in my neighborhood have left in the past few years and are being replaced by overpriced condos.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 02:39:12 PM »
JN, Don't forget to buy LOTS of lottery tickets!  I produce all the Minnesota ones, help a board brutha out here!   :lol:  
Paul