Author Topic: Adjustments for Game 4  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:59:11 AM »
sf101 wrote:
Parker will not be the focal point of the game next time out. Look for dramatic changes by Pop. I can see Hack a Shaq employed to its full extent, I can envision Manu playing backup point, and I can see more involvement coming from the Hedo and Ginobili.

Definately more motion too. And something tells me Duncan will actually have more of a presence. Spurs got out of their pick and roll, definately see more of that happening.

westkoast wrote:  The plays Manu makes are just heartbreakers. Like for example George comes up with a nice rebound and Manu just runs by like a thief and takes the ball right out of his hands. That just kills me to watch. He does it all the time too! Argh! Of course I only get mad when its against my team if the tables were turned id be in love with his game just like the Spurs fans are.
As much as Pop gets frustrated with his play I say its very important for them to be wild at times because it keeps teams from really being able to set a single strategy in stone for a whole entire game. When Manu goes off there is not much the opposing coach can do because tape doesn't really show exactly what he will do.  End quote and major props to 'Koast for showing objectivity.

I felt that way in Game 3 and was wondering if Pop would swith to Manu being the ballhandler since LA was so obviously overplaying Parker and Duncan.  Alas if LA plays the exact same D in 4 as game 3 then now is his chance.  
Hedo I would have to say can't continue to suck on his 3 pters.  A breakout by Hedo will change the game.  Duncans standing and holding the ball and taking too much time on decisionmaking has to stop.  Don't try bringing the ball up the court when Kobe is hassling you.  And TRex besides the $400K fine i would give you for Game 3s missed dunk if it happens again...it better not.  :lol:

LA for its part went away from the Triangle and let Payton go one on one with Parker much more then Games 1 or 2.  Much more effective for the Lakers in Game 3.  They should stick to it as long as it works and/or untill SA adjusts.  Of course for the one Pharasee and other(s)who chant "rrrrrrrraaaaaagh Lakers won it only according to their great D, it had nothing to do with the Spurs" (Spurs win = Lakers played bad, Lakers win = Lakers played good) we know which part of the garden to spread that on.  Also whom to keep selling Laker Winnin Juice.

Indeed it would be nice to see both teams play their best in Game 4.  Make adjustments both before and during the game.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 12:05:50 PM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 11:03:25 AM »
I think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense.  Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy, LA cant take us one on one and what would happen to LA with no zone is it would allow us to run easier pick and rolls from up top.  LA would be hesitant to collapse on a driving gaurd at that point and the Spurs could break away.  the key though, again, is driving the ball down their throats...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 11:18:27 AM »
think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense. Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy, LA cant take us one on one and what would happen to LA with no zone is it would allow us to run easier pick and rolls from up top. LA would be hesitant to collapse on a driving gaurd at that point and the Spurs could break away. the key though, again, is driving the ball down their throats...

It's not THAT SIMPLE, refs are letting these boys play some ball, I don't see alot of whistles being blown when players are stepping into the lane.  Spurs have to run, they need to have TONS more motion, they need to tire out this OLD ARSE Laker team. It's that simple...now go back and start studying for your GED exam. :D  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 11:27:36 AM »
think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense. Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy, LA cant take us one on one and what would happen to LA with no zone is it would allow us to run easier pick and rolls from up top. LA would be hesitant to collapse on a driving gaurd at that point and the Spurs could break away. the key though, again, is driving the ball down their throats...

It's not THAT SIMPLE, refs are letting these boys play some ball, I don't see alot of whistles being blown when players are stepping into the lane.  Spurs have to run, they need to have TONS more motion, they need to tire out this OLD ARSE Laker team. It's that simple...now go back and start studying for your GED exam. :D
whats so hard to figure out the refs CVANNOT allow that style of play to go on much longer, someone will either lose it or get hurt...it IS that simple, break the zone and the the game is ours, the only way to do that besides depends on outside shooting (and we both knonw we CANT from our Spurs) is to drive and get the fouls...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 11:55:11 AM »
Quote from: SPURSX3,May 10 2004, 04:27 PM
Quote from: spursfan101,May 10 2004, 04:18 PM
think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense. Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy,

It's not THAT SIMPLE, refs are letting these boys play some ball, I don't see alot of whistles being blown when players are stepping into the lane.  

whats so hard to figure out the refs CVANNOT allow that style of play to go on much longer, someone will either lose it or get hurt...it IS that simple, break the zone and the the game is ours, the only way to do that besides depends on outside shooting (and we both knonw we CANT from our Spurs) is to drive and get the fouls...
That sounds great and the Spurs faster guards can and should get that.  

However lets see the Spurs went from the start of Game 3 untill 6 minutes left in the 3rd qtr before getting a foul shot attempt.  Randy and "real fan" [/b]is that an NBA record?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 12:34:33 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 11:58:02 AM »
Three things the Spurs need to get back to...

1)Play like they always do.  One loss should not keep them away from what worked in game 1 and 2....or for the whole season.  So far the Lakers have played the Spurs game for 2 games and the Spurs played Laker basketball for 1.  If they make the Lakers play their style of game its going to be tough for the Lakeshow.

2) Dont ever get away from the pick and roll against the Lakers.  Most important let Rasho set the screens because Shaq will not come out 80% of the time.  If he does Parker gets to the rim with no contact.

3) Dont front Shaq the whole game.  The Lakers finally learned how to throw lob passes....imagine pro players being able to throw it over the top.  Let Duncan play him straight up if he isnt in foul trouble at times and front him at times.  Mix it up and confuse the big fella.

Three things the Lakers need to get back to...

1) Have GP make Parker work on the defensive end.  Especially in the post.  Any energy they can take away from Parker is going to help in the long run.

2) Send the same double and triple teams at Duncan very early in the game.

3) Better ball distribution.  One on one the Spurs are too good defensively for the Lakers to play that way for 48 full minutes.  Great passes lead to easy baskets and they need to continue to share but at the same time not be to unselfish and let the Spurs D take advantage.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 12:00:58 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 11:58:47 AM »
I think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense.  Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy, LA cant take us one on one and what would happen to LA with no zone is it would allow us to run easier pick and rolls from up top.  LA would be hesitant to collapse on a driving gaurd at that point and the Spurs could break away.  the key though, again, is driving the ball down their throats...
I guess I'm simply amazed that Spurs fans want to see all the bumps called -- do you know how fast Bowen would foul out if they called all his bumps on Kobe?  Bowen drapes himself all over Kobe so why is it a foul when the Lakers drape themselves all over Parker?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 12:02:04 PM »
Three things the Spurs need to get back to...

1)Play like they always do.  One loss should not keep them away from what worked in game 1 and 2....or for the whole season.  So far the Lakers have played the Spurs game for 2 games and the Spurs played Laker basketball for 1.  If they make the Lakers play their style of game its going to be tough for the Lakeshow.

2) Dont ever get away from the pick and roll against the Lakers.  Most important let Rasho set the screens because Shaq will not come out 80% of the time.  If he does Parker gets to the rim with no contact.

3) Dont front Shaq the whole game.  The Lakers finally learned how to throw lob passes....imagine pro players being able to throw it over the top.  Let Duncan play him straight up if he isnt in foul trouble at times and front him at times.  Mix it up and confuse the big fella.
Krishna Police, Krishna Police!!.

Westkoast is calling it like it is.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 12:05:26 PM »
I think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense.  Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy, LA cant take us one on one and what would happen to LA with no zone is it would allow us to run easier pick and rolls from up top.  LA would be hesitant to collapse on a driving gaurd at that point and the Spurs could break away.  the key though, again, is driving the ball down their throats...
I guess I'm simply amazed that Spurs fans want to see all the bumps called -- do you know how fast Bowen would foul out if they called all his bumps on Kobe?  Bowen drapes himself all over Kobe so why is it a foul when the Lakers drape themselves all over Parker?
its just s chance we have to take randy?  LA took a risky bet on playing tougher and it paid off with the homecourt advantage.  I believe we can win in LA by beating down the throat of LA, at home it may affect us as well, but I would put my money on shaq foling out and kobe shooting 40 + shots in game in this series.  Let kobe shoot the ball, let him get his 30 plus, take care of everyone else and we should be ok.  

Guest_Randy

Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 12:08:51 PM »
I think the best way for us to get game for in the enemies territory is to play into their style of defense.  Pop will tell his gaurds we need to drive early and drive a lot, a whole lot, dont let the hard bumps get to them, if they can panick the Lakers with foul trouble we can break their zone, it is that easy, LA cant take us one on one and what would happen to LA with no zone is it would allow us to run easier pick and rolls from up top.  LA would be hesitant to collapse on a driving gaurd at that point and the Spurs could break away.  the key though, again, is driving the ball down their throats...
its just s chance we have to take randy?  LA took a risky bet on playing tougher and it paid off with the homecourt advantage.  I believe we can win in LA by beating down the throat of LA, at home it may affect us as well, but I would put my money on shaq foling out and kobe shooting 40 + shots in game in this series.  Let kobe shoot the ball, let him get his 30 plus, take care of everyone else and we should be ok.
The Spurs are going to have to change the way they are currently playing Shaq.  One of the reasons for the great success in game #1 and to some degree even in game #2 is that by fronting Shaq, they denied his being involved in the game and when he did get the ball, they doubled immediately.

With the lob, Shaq was able to get the ball and make it before the Spurs could react -- often the Spurs reacted far to late to do anything more than foul him on the shot.  

I do think the Spurs will make adjustments but these adjustments are going to change the success they had against Shaq in game #1 and #2 -- that's what's what going to make this series the BEST in the playoffs this year.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 12:11:47 PM »
I think it has more to do with how much the teams start to butt heads on the floor.  If both teams start to feel the pressue and the tempers fly then you are right, no one will get away with that style of defense.  The refs will not allow it.

Personally I have no problem with Bowen's defense at all.  In fact I wish the league didn't get so soft over the last few years because to me you should be allowed to bump, shadow, and be all over a player each and every play without a touch foul being called.  Sure sometimes Bowen gets away with grabbing and holding but so do alot of people.  If its not completly keeping the player from getting across the court, to the rim, or if it affects the shot then let em play.  We are watching two teams who are going at each other on the defensive end to win.....let em play!!

Also, what happens to rough playoff fouls?  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 12:14:39 PM »
I think it has more to do with how much the teams start to butt heads on the floor.  If both teams start to feel the pressue and the tempers fly then you are right, no one will get away with that style of defense.  The refs will not allow it.

Personally I have no problem with Bowen's defense at all.  In fact I wish the league didn't get so soft over the last few years because to me you should be allowed to bump, shadow, and be all over a player each and every play without a touch foul being called.  Sure sometimes Bowen gets away with grabbing and holding but so do alot of people.  If its not completly keeping the player from getting across the court, to the rim, or if it affects the shot then let em play.  We are watching two teams who are going at each other on the defensive end to win.....let em play!!

I agree WK, i like the old "bad boy" days.  i just know that the NBA has gone soft to avoid fights and lawsuits so i know that hard play will not last too long in a single series.  thats why i would put my money on playing into that and forcing the contact by driving...

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 12:19:01 PM »
agree, can't let Shaq and Kobe beat you....Well, Kobe yes, Shaq no.  LA has crappy role players anyway.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 12:25:27 PM »

I agree WK, i like the old "bad boy" days.  i just know that the NBA has gone soft to avoid fights and lawsuits so i know that hard play will not last too long in a single series.  thats why i would put my money on playing into that and forcing the contact by driving...
Yea I agree...because of how the league is now the only way to go about it is exactly how you said.  Id still love to see a little bit more toughness injected back into the game.  Im not for these wussy lawsuits.....they are all men and should be able to take a little bit of a pounding.  If they dont want to be physical maybe they should have been tennis players :lol:

What was really impressive about MJ back in the day is that he was still able to score at will even with the league letting the players be alot more physical.  Watching him get slammed to the floor on old tape only to get back up and still attack.....only to get smacked down again was something I think every father should show to their son.  That kind of never-give-up attitude is exactly what alot of these players around the league are missing.  Not this......oh well I still got 100 million sitting in my bank win or loose.

Guest_Randy

Adjustments for Game 4
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »

Yea I agree...because of how the league is now the only way to go about it is exactly how you said.  Id still love to see a little bit more toughness injected back into the game.  Im not for these wussy lawsuits.....they are all men and should be able to take a little bit of a pounding.  If they dont want to be physical maybe they should have been tennis players :lol:

What was really impressive about MJ back in the day is that he was still able to score at will even with the league letting the players be alot more physical.  Watching him get slammed to the floor on old tape only to get back up and still attack.....only to get smacked down again was something I think every father should show to their son.  That kind of never-give-up attitude is exactly what alot of these players around the league are missing.  Not this......oh well I still got 100 million sitting in my bank win or loose.
Actually, you can't name a top defender in the league who doesn't play defense the way Bowen does -- bumping, grabbing, holding, etc.  And most refs will allow this one-on-one.  If the offensive player can clear themselves and drive -- that's when they won't allow the contact.  The only difference is sometimes with PG's -- I've seen a LOT of ticky-tack fouls on PG's in which these guys were barely touched while there's a wrestling match at the SG position for someone who hasn't even caught the ball yet.  I think you are going to see the refs allow the teams to play under these rules UNLESS tempers start to flare and then they will shut it down (which doesn't favor EITHER team, IMO).

I think yesterday, the Lakers finally gave the Spurs a taste of their own medicine.  LA needs to come back ready to do it in game 4 and then try to adjust to whatever adjustments the Spurs are going to throw at them.