Author Topic: I guess they're not so think as you old they are!  (Read 3467 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
I guess they're not so think as you old they are!
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:35:53 PM »
LA won this game for all the reasons that excited me earlier in the season:
They played the kind of defense they are capable of playing with the personel they have (ie, Kobe on Parker). They let Payton play his game today, Malone and Kobe were virtually mind-melded with one another, Shaq was playing like he was 5 years and 50 pounds lighter. They totally took Parker out of his rythm and made Duncan (if such a thing is possible) a non-factor, not because they did anything really special, they just played fundamental defense and focused on serious ball movement and execution on the offensive side of the floor.

People were wondering if they could play more than 2 quarters a game. Well boys, today we got our answer, even the Spurs little spurt between the end of the 3rd and the start of the 4th was insignificant, LA was just taking a well earned breather.

What had me happy today was that in games 1 and 2, LA, despite stinking it up, were never REALLY quite out of it, even though the Spurs were playing fantastic basketball. But at no time today, did I ever get the sense LA was in trouble, the weren't playing desperate, to quote Doc Rivers, they were palying their game, and their game if they do not stray from it, is virtually unbeatable.
Dan

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 09:59:06 PM »
it was a good game dan.  However, i will say this i dont think LA did an ything that great - besides beat us by 20+ points  :lol:  - no, what i mean is the Spurs came out nervous, and LA had the homecourt advantage ( I wont say that the zebras had any thing to do with this, but it was our turn to get the unfavorable calls tonight.  in any case, a team should not use that as an excuse - hear me phil? - instead a team should play through it and adjust, we did not do that.  what i saw from the game was that Tim set the tone by playing nervously - and frmo watching tim duncan since joining our team i can tell you this, the most frustrating thing about tim is that when he starts off nervous....his WHOLE game sucks for that game, thats what happenned tonight. 10 points??  i dont think that was Karl Malones doing, I think it was more the heeby jeebies from playing in LALA land in such an important game.  Tony our other big gun got bumped - but did you see his face?  i didnt see fear, i think it was just realization that he was not going to get the easy calls tonight, he had to adjust, and his shots just did not fall from outside - ahem, neither did our free throws.  I think the Spurs will revi3ew the tape and make soem good adjustments, i did not see much of the high screen and roll being played, shaq got to push off on rasho when rasho did front him, so i think that right there needs to be fixed and Pop better have a good idea on how to fix it if that is going to be the case now, manu has to play smarter, not so crazy and calculate his shot a bit.  
I dont know, i saw my team playing very differently today, sloppy, no defense, bad shot selection, bad passing....the bad free throws was about the one thing i saw that was normal  :lol:

I think there is a very good chance for us to take game two though.

we'll see, maybe we will maybe we wont, if not, the we have to protect the homecourt in game five.

Its me, SPURSX3

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 10:03:55 PM »
it was a good game dan.  However, i will say this i dont think LA did an ything that great - besides beat us by 20+ points  :lol:  - no, what i mean is the Spurs came out nervous, and LA had the homecourt advantage ( I wont say that the zebras had any thing to do with this, but it was our turn to get the unfavorable calls tonight.  in any case, a team should not use that as an excuse - hear me phil? - instead a team should play through it and adjust, we did not do that.  what i saw from the game was that Tim set the tone by playing nervously - and frmo watching tim duncan since joining our team i can tell you this, the most frustrating thing about tim is that when he starts off nervous....his WHOLE game sucks for that game, thats what happenned tonight. 10 points??  i dont think that was Karl Malones doing, I think it was more the heeby jeebies from playing in LALA land in such an important game.  Tony our other big gun got bumped - but did you see his face?  i didnt see fear, i think it was just realization that he was not going to get the easy calls tonight, he had to adjust, and his shots just did not fall from outside - ahem, neither did our free throws.  I think the Spurs will revi3ew the tape and make soem good adjustments, i did not see much of the high screen and roll being played, shaq got to push off on rasho when rasho did front him, so i think that right there needs to be fixed and Pop better have a good idea on how to fix it if that is going to be the case now, manu has to play smarter, not so crazy and calculate his shot a bit.  
I dont know, i saw my team playing very differently today, sloppy, no defense, bad shot selection, bad passing....the bad free throws was about the one thing i saw that was normal  :lol:

I think there is a very good chance for us to take game two though.

we'll see, maybe we will maybe we wont, if not, the we have to protect the homecourt in game five.
sorry didnt want to take the  time to log in...

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 10:27:29 PM »
Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Didn't get the favorable calls? Hedo grabbing Kobe hard on a backcourt violation and Kobe getting called for a defensive foul as he was running AWAY from Hedo?!?!

Shag getting called for a foul as he dived clearly for the ball and made only incidental contact?!?!

Kobe getting a goaltending call when the ball was still elevating?!?!

I know you said you won't say the refs had anything to do with this, but how about giving LA some props for playing some very serious defense, and playing with some very serious energy all game long?

How about you lose the Duncan was nervous nonsense and give Malone some credit for holding Duncan in check all game long? Heebie Jeebies my eye dude, he was strangled all game by double teams and Malone's savvy defense. Parker was introduced to what it's like to try to drive on a perfectly executed collapsing lane defense and he panicked, just plain panicked, we took him out of his game and he didn't know which end was up, period. And Malone and Kobe were symbiotic in the game, no one was going to stop them.

Give LA some credit dude, they punk slapped the Spurs today and played a flawless game, and no way the Spurs, nervous, not nervous, energized, focused, at home, on the moon, was going to beat the Laker team that showed up today. We may not know which team shows up Tuseday, but today, the tam I knew they could be took the Spurs to school, give them some credit for it, don't blame the Spurs nerves or lack of energy, nothing would have made a difference today.
Dan

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 10:44:45 PM »
How about you lose the Duncan was nervous nonsense and give Malone some credit for holding Duncan in check all game long? Heebie Jeebies my eye dude, he was strangled all game by double teams and Malone's savvy defense. Parker was introduced to what it's like to try to drive on a perfectly executed collapsing lane defense and he panicked, just plain panicked, we took him out of his game and he didn't know which end was up, period. And Malone and Kobe were symbiotic in the game, no one was going to stop them.

I do think TD was nervous -- VERY nervous.  It wasn't because he was playing in LaLa Land -- it was because of the way the Lakers were sending the double teams (and sometimes triple-team).  They waited until he put the ball on the ground and then came at him hard (the same thing the Spurs were doing to Shaq).  TD allows himself to get flustered under those circumstances and he doesn't pass well out of those situations.  

Parker was the same way -- and it wasn't because of calls -- it was because he realized that the Lakers were going to keep him out of the game.  It was the same look that Kobe had in the game against the Kings.  It had a lot more to do with the Lakers defense than the Spurs abilities.  Although, I'm sure you don't want to admit that because then you have cause for concern.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 10:51:58 PM »
That's my point Randy my boy, it wasn't his nerves, it was LA's defesne that flustered him, the result was terrible shooting and terrible passing and an overall inablility to make an impact. If LA hadn't played the defense the played, Duncan goes for 20+ and "nerves" are not a factor, his "nerves" were dictated by what Malone and Shaq were doing in the post and midrange. Same thing for Parker, except that while I didn't see panick in Duncan's eyes, I saw frustration bordering on panick in Parkers, and THAT my fellow Laker fan was the best part of the win tonight, they can beat Duncan by himself, but Parker MUST NOT get in a rythm.
Dan

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 10:59:51 PM »
That's my point Randy my boy, it wasn't his nerves, it was LA's defesne that flustered him, the result was terrible shooting and terrible passing and an overall inablility to make an impact. If LA hadn't played the defense the played, Duncan goes for 20+ and "nerves" are not a factor, his "nerves" were dictated by what Malone and Shaq were doing in the post and midrange. Same thing for Parker, except that while I didn't see panick in Duncan's eyes, I saw frustration bordering on panick in Parkers, and THAT my fellow Laker fan was the best part of the win tonight, they can beat Duncan by himself, but Parker MUST NOT get in a rythm.
Actually, I LOVED the defensive scheme that they used in this game -- my question was why in the world did they wait until game 3 to bring that in?  The scheme against Parker is great -- as good as the ones the Kings used against Kobe several weeks ago and it's was just as much a factor in this win as the scheme against TD which was also great.  Keeping those two off-balance kept the entire team off-balance.

I must have misunderstood your post.  I'm still not sure that I saw panic in Parker's eyes -- just a lot of frustration.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 11:09:24 PM »
Parkers airball was where I saw panic in his eyes, I also began to sense his frustration and realization that he would not have his way in the lane midway through the 3rd. H eonly took 12 shots today, as opposed to 19 in game 1 and 23 in game 2, plus his passing was terrible, the 3 TO's don't even tell the story, he passed into traffic and alot of short passes that allowed LA to rotate very quickly which killed the open looks they were getting in games 1 and 2.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 08:05:14 AM »
Actually, I LOVED the defensive scheme that they used in this game -- my question was why in the world did they wait until game 3 to bring that in?  The scheme against Parker is great -- as good as the ones the Kings used against Kobe several weeks ago and it's was just as much a factor in this win as the scheme against TD which was also great.  Keeping those two off-balance kept the entire team off-balance.

I must have misunderstood your post.  I'm still not sure that I saw panic in Parker's eyes -- just a lot of frustration.
LMFAO!!!

ok "defense" won it guys.  if you say so.  I know that running into a gang of bumps could be considered a very bad plan of attack by LA if they chose to keep it up.  The refs will not let that slide for too much longer.  Karl had some great passes, but i dont think he is what he used to be nor can he play TD well.  as for parker, I DIDNT SEE NERVOUSNESS ON HIS FACE, nor frustration, i think he just had a bad game.  again if i were pop and LA wanted to play that kind of "defense" then my goal for the next game would be to have more pick and rolls and more drives by parker tony and bowen to the hoop, I dont believe what you guys call defense will stay that way for long if the Spurs press them each time down the court.  to break that tight zone apart they have to get LA in foul trouble....and that wont happen from shooting outside.  good luck in game 4 noe the less guys, its a great series.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 08:42:20 AM »

LMFAO!!!

ok "defense" won it guys.  if you say so.  I know that running into a gang of bumps could be considered a very bad plan of attack by LA if they chose to keep it up.  The refs will not let that slide for too much longer.  Karl had some great passes, but i dont think he is what he used to be nor can he play TD well.  as for parker, I DIDNT SEE NERVOUSNESS ON HIS FACE, nor frustration, i think he just had a bad game.  again if i were pop and LA wanted to play that kind of "defense" then my goal for the next game would be to have more pick and rolls and more drives by parker tony and bowen to the hoop, I dont believe what you guys call defense will stay that way for long if the Spurs press them each time down the court.  to break that tight zone apart they have to get LA in foul trouble....and that wont happen from shooting outside.  good luck in game 4 noe the less guys, its a great series.
I have to agree with my fellow Spurs fan.....if the great Laker's defense won this game then the great Spurs' defense won the first two.  Or if Laker faithful (& players) can claim that they played bad in the first two games then the Spurs have the same "excuse" available....they played bad in game 3.

There seems to be some divergance here....
Spurs win = Lakers played bad.
Lakers win = Lakers played good.

I'm sure glad that the other team on the court has no impact on the Lakers chances.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 09:11:05 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 09:10:14 AM »
No...thier pretty old.  ;) They can't beat the Spurs 3 out of 4 games, despite last night's all out energy expulsion.

Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »

LMFAO!!!

I have to agree with my fellow Spurs fan.....if the great Laker's defense won this game then the great Spurs' defense won the first two.  Or if Laker faithful (& players) can claim that they played bad in the first two games then the Spurs have the same "excuse" available....they played bad in game 3.

There seems to be some divergance here....
Spurs win = Lakers played bad.
Lakers win = Lakers played good.

I'm sure glad that the other team on the court has no impact on the Lakers chances.
Wow...someone had some of their mom's homemade hooch to celebrate mothers day.  Lurker maybe you post on another board and are talking about other Laker fans but I did not see a single Laker fan on this board that did not say the reason the Lakers lost both game 1 and game 2 was due to the great Spurs defense at the end of the quarters.

The Lakers did play bad in the first two games.....because of the Spurs defense.  The Spurs played bad last night because the Laker defense knocked them out of their comfort zone early which led to frustration (Parker wasnt scared...just not getting to do what he normally does), unforced turnovers, and kept them out of sync.  You know it is possible to say you played bad and still give credit to the other team.  Ive not heard a single player from the Lakers squad take anything from the Spurs at all.  Both Kobe and Shaq were interviewed after the game and expressed how good the Spurs team is and how they have to be close to perfect in order to beat the team.  Yes, Shaq did say those things believe it or not.

Again......its funny how you are making things up and then you go on to pretend we even think that way.  None of the posts since the begging of the series have even hinted around to anything like 'The other team on the court has no impact on the Lakers chances'  Sometimes I wonder if you are baiting or if you truly believe what you are posting.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 10:14:12 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if you are baiting or if you truly believe what you are posting.
I don't know if he is or not but I don't care, I'm going to run off and cry cause the Lakers are getting no props!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 10:17:22 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if you are baiting or if you truly believe what you are posting.
I don't know if he is or not but I don't care, I'm going to run off and cry cause the Lakers are getting no props!
LOL - atleast we no shaq can play football when his NBA career is over   :D  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 10:20:05 AM »
This seems hilarious from the poster whose first post after game 2 was to blame the refs.   :lol:

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues