Author Topic: props to LA for the win today  (Read 2651 times)

it's me, SPURX3

props to LA for the win today
« on: May 09, 2004, 05:05:13 PM »
LA came out hard and pulled it off, I think Tim Duncan playing nervous set the tone for us playing soo poorly.  Hopefully he will get over his jitters for game 4 and we can come back from Cali 1-1.  tony also needs to keep driving more, they keep talking about the bumping and everything, but IMO, the best players are the ones that get the opponents into to foul trouble no matter what.  If tony can keep driving, he can draw more fouls, all he has to do is drive.  game four should be interesting.. :D  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 05:48:04 PM »
That was a very good game for LA but the Spurs did get within 13 points in the 4th quarter before LA blew it wide open.

I don't think the Lakers need to bump Parker as much as I think they really need to put him down hard on his arse in the paint.  IMO a couple of frontline Lakers really need to lay the wood on him 80's style because he's still driving with very little fear.  With all those hard hits put on Shaq I think it's time for a little payback on Tony.

IMO game 4 is just as important as game 3, it's do or die so the Lakers need to play that way.  Nobody is going to come back from 3-1 on the Spurs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 06:17:54 PM »
That was a very good game for LA but the Spurs did get within 13 points in the 4th quarter before LA blew it wide open.

I don't think the Lakers need to bump Parker as much as I think they really need to put him down hard on his arse in the paint.  IMO a couple of frontline Lakers really need to lay the wood on him 80's style because he's still driving with very little fear.  With all those hard hits put on Shaq I think it's time for a little payback on Tony.

IMO game 4 is just as important as game 3, it's do or die so the Lakers need to play that way.  Nobody is going to come back from 3-1 on the Spurs.
Well, I am not one for physical violence -- whether it's in the lane or in an alley but it does make me wonder how Parker would respond to a "Kurt Rambis clothesline" like they did back in the days.  After all, Parker is a frenchman and we know little white flags are their national export.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 08:20:48 PM »
LA came out hard and pulled it off, I think Tim Duncan playing nervous set the tone for us playing soo poorly.  Hopefully he will get over his jitters for game 4 and we can come back from Cali 1-1.  tony also needs to keep driving more, they keep talking about the bumping and everything, but IMO, the best players are the ones that get the opponents into to foul trouble no matter what.  If tony can keep driving, he can draw more fouls, all he has to do is drive.  game four should be interesting.. :D
LA came out way better then Game one or two.  Completely different.  Made up their minds quickly on offensive passes, also played much quicker defense and team defense.   Very dissapointed with Spurs return to veg ball offense.  Props to LA for the D but dont stand SA around pausing with the ball and help their aggresiveness.  Duncan was pathetic at times.

Can SA shoot that poorly again?  I hope not.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 09:45:41 PM »
LA came out hard and pulled it off, I think Tim Duncan playing nervous set the tone for us playing soo poorly.  Hopefully he will get over his jitters for game 4 and we can come back from Cali 1-1.  tony also needs to keep driving more, they keep talking about the bumping and everything, but IMO, the best players are the ones that get the opponents into to foul trouble no matter what.  If tony can keep driving, he can draw more fouls, all he has to do is drive.  game four should be interesting.. :D
LA came out way better then Game one or two.  Completely different.  Made up their minds quickly on offensive passes, also played much quicker defense and team defense.   Very dissapointed with Spurs return to veg ball offense.  Props to LA for the D but dont stand SA around pausing with the ball and help their aggresiveness.  Duncan was pathetic at times.

Can SA shoot that poorly again?  I hope not.
Part of that low pct was the fact that they were not getting easy baskets.  They could have been just as bad jump shot wise and still had a good shot at winning the game  if they were getting transition baskets, scoring on the block, and Parker was able to score in the paint more often.  Usually thats how they balance themselves out.  They are not that great of a jump shooting basketball team.  Personally I dont think they will shoot that bad for the rest of the series.  Good defense by the Lakers and bad shot selection/no motion for the Spurs.

Im 100% with WoW on Game 4.  That is another do or die game and hopefully they treat that game like they did this game.  No way in hell they come back to beat the Spurs 3-1.

Ya so SA fans......since you only want to use Malik in "Super garbage time" can we take him off your hands next year?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 09:48:05 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 10:05:16 PM »
Thank X3, I think,  :unsure: I don't think it was that the Spurs played bad, rather, they were stifled by LA's defense, as the Lakers were stifled by the Spurs defense in games 1 and 2.

Face it, LA suffocated the Spurs tonight, they allowed virtually no easy baskets and took the lane away from Parker, to his credit he did not stop trying to penetrate until midway through the 3rd, but I think he had gotten the message by then. Please don't play the Duncan was playing nervous card, Malone was bodying him up and using every trick in the book to disrupt his rythm, and it worked. LA gave Payton help defending the pick and what it boiled down to was LA proved they can play defense (why they don't make it a habit is a mystery to me), and they are clearly the better offensive team. I'm not saying they are out of the woods at this point, they still face a very talented and very dangerous team, but let's not write them off yet, if they take care of busines Tuesday, the Spurs might be smart to be a little concerned. This is of course, if today's version of the Lakers show up, otherwise all LA did today was avoid the humiliation of getting swept.

BTW, props to Payton for his game today, I've been down on him for his whining and crying, but letting him play his style of game today payed off quite handsomely.
Dan

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 10:11:48 PM »
Thank X3, I think,  :unsure: I don't think it was that the Spurs played bad, rather, they were stifled by LA's defense, as the Lakers were stifled by the Spurs defense in games 1 and 2.

Face it, LA suffocated the Spurs tonight, they allowed virtually no easy baskets and took the lane away from Parker, to his credit he did not stop trying to penetrate until midway through the 3rd, but I think he had gotten the message by then. Please don't play the Duncan was playing nervous card, Malone was bodying him up and using every trick in the book to disrupt his rythm, and it worked. LA gave Payton help defending the pick and what it boiled down to was LA proved they can play defense (why they don't make it a habit is a mystery to me), and they are clearly the better offensive team. I'm not saying they are out of the woods at this point, they still face a very talented and very dangerous team, but let's not write them off yet, if they take care of busines Tuesday, the Spurs might be smart to be a little concerned. This is of course, if today's version of the Lakers show up, otherwise all LA did today was avoid the humiliation of getting swept.

BTW, props to Payton for his game today, I've been down on him for his whining and crying, but letting him play his style of game today payed off quite handsomely.
Dan, "Laker" and "defense" in the same sentence just dont sound right to me, so i go for the "Spurs played badly "...

why dont they do that more often?  I could tell you that you have a lot of Lakers fouling out for block and moving screens if they did that more often thats why  :lol:

no matter, it IS the homecourt, we got our share of that in games one and two so no biggie to me.  I figured we would lose this game, i mean our win streak HAD to end some time, its seemed to me this was the time for that to happen.

I think if Tony keeps driving, and driving, and driving, despite the bumps he is getting, the refs will call in his favor - its playoff time and you got to earn your free throws, or atleast thats what i keep hearing.  so it doesnt do any good to cry or whine about it, i just got to hope tony has the guts to do what he needs to do in game 4.

man, "laker" and "defense" in the same sentence...... :blink:

thats still got me stumpified........... :ph34r:  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 10:13:23 PM »
me agin, sorry, finally logged in...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 10:36:37 PM »
thats still got me stumpified........... 

Just admit it, you were already stupified, I mean, stumpified.

The Spurs, including TD, because of the Lakers D started hurrying their shots.  TD really had a bad game in shooting and otherwise because of the double and triple teams of the Lakers.  The Lakers doubled TD and Parker to keep them from beating them -- and then they played Kobe on Parker to keep him from going off.  Whether you liked it or not, it was very effective.  Then they rushed at other players and basically made them beat them.  I definately like this kind of defense much better.  Defense feeds offense -- and the Lakers jump on the Spurs left them trying to get their feet under them -- their defense didn't give them the confidence they were used to and IMO, that was the difference in the game.  

As badly as the Spurs shot, Manu shot 50% from the arch -- a place where he is a HORRIBLE shooter.  The Spurs feed off of the energy and success of TD and Parker and when that didn't happen, nobody besides Manu stepped up.  And Manu didn't step up where they needed him to, IMO.  The Spurs needed someone to drive to establish an inside game -- he was content with shooting from outside.

I expect some adjustments by the Spurs -- the Lakers have to execute off the blocks Tuesday night and keep the Spurs on their heels -- which is exactly where the Spurs belong -- right under the heel of their boots.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 10:41:12 PM »
Dan, "Laker" and "defense" in the same sentence just dont sound right to me, so i go for the "Spurs played badly "...

why dont they do that more often?  I could tell you that you have a lot of Lakers fouling out for block and moving screens if they did that more often thats why  :lol:

no matter, it IS the homecourt, we got our share of that in games one and two so no biggie to me.  I figured we would lose this game, i mean our win streak HAD to end some time, its seemed to me this was the time for that to happen.

I think if Tony keeps driving, and driving, and driving, despite the bumps he is getting, the refs will call in his favor - its playoff time and you got to earn your free throws, or atleast thats what i keep hearing.  so it doesnt do any good to cry or whine about it, i just got to hope tony has the guts to do what he needs to do in game 4.

I wish they would call moving screens, TD, Rasho and Horry would foul out by the third quarter.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not talking about bumps, I'm talking about an East coast hard foul, nothing dirty or flagrant, just make sure Tony pays for every FT and layup.  He'll get the message soon enough and we'll see what he's really made of.  Lakers pulled that on Kevin Johnson one year and at home he nutted up and played through it but in LA he stayed perimeter.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 10:42:53 PM »
Go for what you want, but if you saw the game I saw, you saw defense, only a fool or a bandwagon frontrunner lose would say otherwise, and I know you fit neither category, we only have one of their putrid types here, you just seem to be in denial that any other team is capable of playing defense.

Who do you think the Lakers are, the Kings? Ranked 16th at the end of the season defensively with 3 pretty intense defensive starters and you say LA and defense don't belong in the same sentence? Why they don't play it more often is, as I said earlier, a mystery to me, but don't think for a minute they can't do it! Aren't you the same cat that was predicting a sweep AFTER 1 GAME?!?! You clearly are troubled by LA's being able to actually play 4 full quarters X3, and so while it was only 1 VERY IMPRESSIVE OVERALL EFFORT by LA with a mountain still to climb, your silver and black clouded glasses blinded you to the facts and so I will let you drown your sorrows in a Colt 45 for tonight while I celebrate with a couple of shots of Bushmills, BLACK Bushmills, that is.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 11:13:47 PM »
But when Spurs won it was Lakers that played badly.

Grow some nuts.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 07:58:34 AM »
LA played good D and stiffled the Spurs INSIDE, but outside, shooters were getting open looks. If Hedo or Bowen would have a hit a few of those open 3's, the Spurs would have seriously been back in the game. They usually don't miss those.

REALLY suprised at Malik Roses' and Devon Brown's play. Only ones that showed heart yesterday.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 09:59:32 AM »

why dont they do that more often?  I could tell you that you have a lot of Lakers fouling out for block and moving screens if they did that more often thats why  :lol:

no matter, it IS the homecourt, we got our share of that in games one and two so no biggie to me.  I figured we would lose this game, i mean our win streak HAD to end some time, its seemed to me this was the time for that to happen.

I think if Tony keeps driving, and driving, and driving, despite the bumps he is getting, the refs will call in his favor - its playoff time and you got to earn your free throws, or atleast thats what i keep hearing.  so it doesnt do any good to cry or whine about it, i just got to hope tony has the guts to do what he needs to do in game 4.

I wish they would call moving screens, TD, Rasho and Horry would foul out by the third quarter.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not talking about bumps, I'm talking about an East coast hard foul, nothing dirty or flagrant, just make sure Tony pays for every FT and layup.  He'll get the message soon enough and we'll see what he's really made of.  Lakers pulled that on Kevin Johnson one year and at home he nutted up and played through it but in LA he stayed perimeter.
no arguement here, like i said thats just the real home court advantage IMO...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 10:11:49 AM »
no arguement here, like i said thats just the real home court advantage IMO...
No matter what uniform Horry is wearing, he's still one of the most savy defenders in the league.  I expect a few critical charges drawn against Shaq before the series is over.  Yesterday was kinda funny when Shaq caught a pass at about the FT line and he took two giant steps towards the basket and Horry and Manu were in good position to take a charge but got out of the way.  Shaq was comming in hard and a little out of control, that must be a scary sight and I'd probably get out of the way as well.  Bowen did a pretty good job on Kobe and Manu's quick hands were all over the place.  Manu is such a spark, hustler and most importantly he's a very heads up player.  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"