Author Topic: NFL Draft  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL Draft
« on: May 08, 2004, 08:18:43 AM »
zig,

My team the KC Chiefs drafted two Oregonians in their 1st 4 picks.
JUNIOR SIAVII DT OREGON
SAMIE PARKER WR OREGON

Do you know anything about either one of them.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
NFL Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 01:10:16 PM »
With regards to Junior Siavii the DT from Oregon. He is MASSIVE. Something like 6-3 335. He was a DT in college, and is projected as a NG in the pros. Very good run stopper, very strong, and quick for someone his size. He is not a strong pass rusher though. KC as I understand it wants to go with a 3-4, and hence the desire to take him as a NG. He is 25, and from American Samoa. Had a 4 year ordeal when he first came over from Samoa.  He thought he had a free ride to play in Utah, but turns out he didn't and basically was turned into a slave packing tee-shirts into boxes.  Big article in The Sporting News in the edition right after the draft about his ordeal.
He didn't play alot until his senior year, and only then because Hiloti Ngata was hurt. I think he will be an OK NFL player, but what I have read indicates he was drafted high for his talent level. Won't be a bust, but I think he will be a little bit of a disappointment.
This is the scouting report from Stats Inc.
Siavii is a massive prospect with minimal experience but unlimited potential. He has an enormous frame and moves exceptionally well for his size. He has terrific strength and rare athleticism. He is an ideal run-stuffer with raw power and long arms. He has shown the quickness to be a disruptive pass rusher as well. Though he needs work on his technique and recognition skills, Siavii has the potential to develop into a quality NFL starter. He needs to become more versatile as a pass rusher and more aggressive when attempting to disengage. Most of his shortcomings are correctable, however, and his physical tools and overall potential will certainly warrant an opportunity. Some teams may be turned off by Siavii's age (25), but he is still raw and has plenty of room to grow.

Samie Parker
He was the game breaker at Oregon.  He is very fast, but not very big.  Made a number of big plays, but he also dropped a few when wide open.  Not a big guy, but very athletic.  Made some really dramatic plays, and he averaged a lot of yards per catch.
This is the scouting report from Stats Inc.
Parker was one of twelve Oregon players to make the Pac-10 All-Conference team this year. His outstanding speed and quickness gave the Ducks their first real deep threat in years. He had a team high 874 yards and eight touchdowns on the season, leading the offense to a Sun Bowl game against Minnesota. Parker's small stature is a disadvantage, and his frame is not conducive to take a lot of hits. He tends to play more like a track athlete than a football player at times. Prior to this year, he averaged 36.7 yards per catch on 12 catches, including three scores of over 70 yards. Overall, Parker is not that physical, but he is superb at adjusting in midair to the ball and making the big play.

You mentioned also that you were a Chargers fan.  They drafted Igor Olshansky in the second round.
Born in the Ukraine, but moved to Sf at 7.  Huge and very very strong.  Did 43 bench press reps at 225 at the combine, and then a later player did 44.  Then at a private workout did he did 45.  Can bench press 525.  Excellent pass rusher for a DT, but played DE in college.  He plays tall though so ihe can be controlled if you play him low.  Came out as a junior, and a lot of people thought he should have waited one more year.  My opinion is he will eventually be a Pro Bowler.

Here is his Stats Inc scouting report
Olshansky is a tremendous athlete with the strength and size to be a force inside as well as the speed and skill to be a factor on the end. He has good football instincts and is always in position to make a play. Olshansky rounded out his junior season by recording 58 tackles, 15 for a loss, 6.5 sacks, three fumbles recovered, one forced fumble, and a blocked kick. At 6-6, 309 lbs. Olshansky is a load with tremendous upside. He has only been playing football for six years, and still is learning the nuances of the game. Combine his tremendous potential with his size and strength, and he could be a force for years to come.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL Draft
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 11:56:58 AM »
zig,

props for the info.  With KCs new Defensive Coordinator I'm hoping he will push them into the Bowl.  As long as the offense can do it again.  Trent Green having a similiar season?  Well i can wish.  The Priest Playoff Fumble (if you know what i mean) vs Indy after a 45 yard momentum changing run was a major blow.  
Picking in 2004-2005 will be a challange, injuries will always affect the NFL, ie Michael Vick and Penntington of the Jets in last years preseason.

Speaking of Samoan rookies and the NFL, how do you think the Chargers great rookie of two years ago will do, Toni Fontinoni (sp).  Sat out all last year rehabbing an injury.  The Chargers who have taken over The Bengals for futality, really torked me off when they passed on that long haired O lineman on the Saints who ended up with the Rams.  Pro Bowler.  Great player.  From San Diego State and said he would have come back here as 1st choice.  That is exactly what they needed, dumbarses.  Exactly what a big young guy like Foninoni needed also.  Fontinoni is only 21, he was drafted when he was 19-20.