Author Topic: End of Age Restriction  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Scout200

• View Profile
    • Email
End of Age Restriction
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
The NBA players hope to end the age restriction that forbids players from entering the NBA directly out of high school. How will this decision impact the NBA?
Feel the rush...

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: End of Age Restriction
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
Hasn't history showed it ends up badly for most of the high schoolers who try it vs the Kevin Garnetts, Kobmes, etc who hit the mega jackpot?

I still think it's the teenagers right to decide if they will attempt NBA or not.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:04:37 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Hasn't history showed it ends up badly for most of the high schoolers who try it vs the Kevin Garnetts, Kobmes, etc who hit the mega jackpot?

Outside of Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant who are two of the best players in the league.

Lets just point out some players who are currently top talent in the league right now who came in young:

Tony Parker
Lebron James
Amare Stoudamire
Dwight Howard

Now I will ask this, did Derrick Rose and Kevin Durant really learn that much from only playing on year in college?

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
Absolutely agree but i still think it ends badly for most.

Altho, if you simply make the team you are guaranteed a minimum salary of what $_____?

Enough to pay for college 20 times over if these Nimrods would manage their money.
Shouldn't say "badly" for making hundreds of thousands of dollars a season.  If one only played one season it should be enough of a financial building basis to last a lifetime.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

Altho, if you simply make the team you are guaranteed a minimum salary of what $_____?

Enough to pay for college 20 times over if these Nimrods would manage their money.
Shouldn't say "badly" for making hundreds of thousands of dollars a season.  If one only played one season it should be enough of a financial building basis to last a lifetime.

I think it ends badly for certain players because the team made the mistake of picking them up in the first place and placing huge expectations on them right away.  Kobe Bryant wasn't asked to be the main man right out of high school.  Same goes for Andrew Bynum.  Ditto for Tony Parker.  It also applies to a Kendrick Perkins as well.   If you look at say the Washington Wizards, who took Kwame Brown and immediately made him the horse they hitched their 'championship buggy' to, you'll see why he failed.  I do wonder if some of the busted high school players would have ended up being decent players had the franchises not rushed so quickly to get fans to care about their product again.

The money is a very interesting angle because it is part of the reason why a number of players, not just ones out of HS, get themselves into trouble.  I still don't know why the NBA doesn't do a better job of providing education on finances, especially when it effects the image of their product (players) so much, but that is a whole different thread.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:02 AM »

Being drafted ends up badly for most.  It's a very high failure rate regardless of how many years you attended.

Offline Scout200

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »
The money is a very interesting angle because it is part of the reason why a number of players, not just ones out of HS, get themselves into trouble.  I still don't know why the NBA doesn't do a better job of providing education on finances, especially when it effects the image of their product (players) so much

Very true.. great point!!
Feel the rush...

Offline Scout200

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
Players like Lebron and Amar'e have proven that they belong from jump. Look at the league's present superstars and stars... Most of them came in straight out of high school or immediately after their freshman year.
Feel the rush...

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
The reason the NBA wants the one year of college thing is simple - so that they can get a look and see just how good these players REALLY are before signing them to a contract.  Get it right, and you're Cleveland of the last few years;  get it wrong, and you're Washington.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!