Author Topic: Thoughts from the LA paper  (Read 2273 times)

sf101

Thoughts from the LA paper
« on: May 06, 2004, 01:00:41 PM »
Thoughts from the L.A. area.....
Spurs have turned it around

By JEFF MILLER

The Orange County Register

SAN ANTONIO - Sometimes you have to flip the binoculars around and squint into the tiny images to see the big picture.

This morning - with this Lakers-Spurs muscle waltz only two games old and the Lakers already looking gray-going-on-ghostly - is one of those times.

Because the truth is, no matter how often you read it or hear it or repeat it yourself, this series might not be about the Lakers after all. It might be about the Spurs, period. If they play well, they advance to the Western Conference finals. No matter what the Lakers do. Simple as that? Just might be so, yes.

With the point of view reversed Wednesday, that's how it looked here, in the aftermath of a 10-point San Antonio victory that was very little like the Spurs' first 10-point victory Sunday.

The Lakers still lost despite Tim Duncan shooting just 13 times and grabbing seven rebounds. They still lost despite Duncan going scoreless in a fourth quarter that decided the game.

They still lost despite the Spurs scoring 12 points in a third period during which San Antonio played "unwisely and without much juice," winning coach Gregg Popovich explained.

Yet, Lakers coach Phil Jackson announced he was "confident" in moving to Staples Center for Games 3 and 4. This confidence, however, could be found only by looking deep inside and X's and O's, past those bigger and bolder numbers on the scoreboard, by dissecting the carnage bit by painful bit.

Coaches, particularly those trying to sell their players on things like belief and trust, will dig as far down as necessary.

"There's a space out there we have to work with," Jackson explained. And this: "We found an angle to work with." And this: "We got the concept tonight." And, finally, even this: "You could see the difference (from Game 1)."

Troubling, though, was the way the Spurs pummeled the Lakers immediately after the opening tip. Tony Parker again was making Gary Payton look as mobile as Payton's future Hall of Fame plaque. Shaquille O'Neal was being called for things like three seconds and traveling, giving the game a that-70s feel. The Spurs were dumping successful jumpers on the Lakers like spades full of dirt.

En route to being buried in the first quarter, Jackson even was moved to turn to Rick Fox, whose face recently had appeared in the playoffs only in those Radio Shack commercials.

The deficit reached 16 points. Then 17. Then 19. Speaking to the Lakers' level of desperation in the second quarter, the team turned Slava Medvedenko and his ornery Achilles' tendon into a go-to guy. On their best nights, the Lakers treat Medvedenko like a flee-from guy. But at that point, Jackson had halved the Big Four into the Original Two and added Three Littles.

Encouraging was the way the Lakers responded after halftime, first behind Payton and his precious post-ups, later behind some typical Kobe Bryant craziness and all along behind O'Neal, who hammered his right hand on the rim so many times he likely iced it like a boxer on the flight home.

Along the way, the Lakers even managed to solve the Spurs' fronting of their center, a strategy that was touted for Shaq-proofing the fourth quarter of Game 1. By employing a scheme as old as James Naismith, Popovich was all but nominated for a Noble Peace Prize the past three days.

Still, while the Lakers made it back, they never could make it all the way back. There were communication issues - "Typical of the year," Karl Malone said afterward. There was Malone picking up a dumb technical foul - "A hole in the ship," Jackson called it. There was a coughing offense - "Our execution failed us," Jackson said.

In the fourth quarter, a time that used to be smothered by Laker fingerprints and brilliance, it was the Spurs making the shots, the plays, the stops.

It was the Spurs, not the Lakers, making the difference.

"It looked to me like we ran out of gas again trying to get back in the game," Jackson said. "We have to come out better (in Game 3)."

Here's how daunting this challenge is to Jackson and his team. At a timeout with 2:11 remaining, the Lakers had outrebounded the Spurs by 11, had two more assists overall and were shooting 54.3 percent, easily better than the Spurs. And they were still down by eight.

"We just gotta go out and do it now," O'Neal said. "Enough talking."

Of course, what follows now is three more days of nothing but talking. And idle time usually isn't good to the Lakers, who woke up Wednesday to find O'Neal's stepfather in the local newspaper ripping Bryant for being selfish.

A player's parent complaining? And this is supposed to matter? (Yeah, with the Lakers everything matters, especially the relentless public whining.) But even a parent's complaining in Little League has no genuine meaning.

Since this is the Lakers and it's all about the Lakers, such developments are deemed newsworthy.

That's the notable thing, though, today. This might not be about the Lakers. Not anymore. Not at all.

jn

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 01:09:04 PM »
"Flee from guy."  :lol:

Or as ESPN joked today, the Lakers three year run was just a brief disruption of
the Spurs dynasty.

WOW may be on to something with the Jumped the Shark phrase.   Parker vs Payton seems to be disproving the old joke about "Age and cunning beats youth and skill."

Still there's plenty of hope to be played.  I say the Lakers win 2 games.  

jn

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 01:13:44 PM »
"plenty of hope to be played"? Anyone know what I'm talking about? HELP? :blink:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 01:16:21 PM »
"Flee from guy."  :lol:

Or as ESPN joked today, the Lakers three year run was just a brief disruption of
the Spurs dynasty.

WOW may be on to something with the Jumped the Shark phrase.   Parker vs Payton seems to be disproving the old joke about "Age and cunning beats youth and skill."

Still there's plenty of hope to be played.  I say the Lakers win 2 games.
Spurs dynasty . . . I'd post more but I think I'm going to be SICK!  I think you have to win more than 3 titles in 6 years to be a dynasty (and that is even with the assumption that they win this year) -- if it only took 3 titles in a decade than the Lakers would be a dynasty as well, right?  

jn

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 01:31:44 PM »
Randy maybe I should've added this  ;) at the end.

But at least now I know how to push you over the edge future arguments.  ^_^  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 02:31:23 PM »
Randy maybe I should've added this  ;) at the end.

But at least now I know how to push you over the edge future arguments.  ^_^
Jn, I was already over the edge from last night -- you just happened to break the branch I was holding on to -- thanks.   <_<  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 02:35:29 PM »
Randy maybe I should've added this  ;) at the end.

But at least now I know how to push you over the edge future arguments.  ^_^
Jn, I was already over the edge from last night -- you just happened to break the branch I was holding on to -- thanks.   <_<
man it would bite to have 3 "*" next to your titles wouldnt it?

* = spurs dynasty burp....

;)  :P  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 02:46:08 PM »
"plenty of hope to be played"? Anyone know what I'm talking about? HELP? :blink:
jn,

The scary thing is you statement is dead on and 10X better than the article.

Lakers are in "hope" mode, no longer are they in "expectation" mode.

Last years was disappointing, this year may be devastating.  

Lakers looked bad all year last year and Shaq was in the worse shape of his life.  Getting four in a row was not looking good but there was still that championship swagger and beleif in the "switch".  But all the injuries took their toll on the Lakers, and Kings, and it was a pretty harsh ending.

This year expectations where very high, I can't remember a time things looked so rosey...oh wait...I remember now, it was back in 1989 with the Lakers rolling into the finals undefeated going for the 3-peat and it all came crashing down.  That's what this year feels like, all the expectations after the summer FA signings and Shaq getting into shape.  Then the Kobe drama hits, Shaq's toe and health is called into question again and then Karl Malone goes down.  Three of the big four are out for stretches.  Then when the team got back together things started looking up but now that the Lakers are facing a top tier opponent like the Spurs the crack in the armor are starting to become glaring, most notably in age and inconsitancy.

Seems like Lakers are not able to close games out like years past.  You would think with better defensive players and more offensive options things would not be that way but maybe these horses are out of gas.  Karl and GP need to turn it around ASAP if the Lakers are going to pull this one out.  They came here for a ring and now it's up to them to take it, Kobe and Shaq are doing their part, the others need to step up and earn it.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 02:54:53 PM »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This is funny -- while I'm sure you are enjoying the recent success of the Spurs -- it hasn't been THAT good to erase the recent memories of TD almost crying and the rest of the team looking like deer caught in headlights.  While the Spurs are beating the Lakers, it isn't the massacre that we all remember and love (at least Laker fans anyway).   :P  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 03:40:00 PM »

This is funny -- while I'm sure you are enjoying the recent success of the Spurs -- it hasn't been THAT good to erase the recent memories of TD almost crying and the rest of the team looking like deer caught in headlights.  While the Spurs are beating the Lakers, it isn't the massacre that we all remember and love (at least Laker fans anyway).   :P
true not yet atleast....not until we all see kobe sucking down his lower lip again, and fisher crying like a baby.......yeah, then we can all remember which one hurt more...almost crying, and crying like baby, who could tell the difference??  ;)  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 03:54:47 PM »

true not yet atleast....not until we all see kobe sucking down his lower lip again, and fisher crying like a baby.......yeah, then we can all remember which one hurt more...almost crying, and crying like baby, who could tell the difference??  ;)
FYI:

Babies close their eyes when they cry pendejo!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 04:13:17 PM »
You're mixing up your metaphisles.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 04:14:55 PM »

Yeah, Kobe's going to be crying over all three of his championship rings, huh?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 04:19:17 PM »

Yeah, Kobe's going to be crying over all three of his championship rings, huh?
no randy he will be crying over the SPURS 3 championship rings.....LOL!!   :D  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 04:29:06 PM »

FYI:

Babies close their eyes when they cry pendejo!
 :rolleyes:  - oh yes, that makes ALL the difference Wow....lmao

:lol:  B)