Author Topic: Props to Tony and the zebra's  (Read 9579 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to Tony and the zebra's
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 10:51:16 AM »
Before you guys start complaining read my post above.  I dont think the refs gave the game away.  In fact it was the hustle plays and the penetration that lost the Lakers the game.  But since Lurker wants to bring it up....

Yes those are the same refs who called 3 seconds on Shaq but 3 plays later let Duncan sit in the post for twice as long.

The same refs who let Tony Parker get away with a travel in back to back plays on his way to the basket.  One of those being bailed out with a foul.   You cannot split the defense with one step then bunny hop for a floater.  That my friend is travel and happens plenty of times.

The same refs who let Duncan foul Kobe two times going to the rim and two times when Shaq was going up for a dunk.  Very easy out in the open fouls to call.

The same refs who let Duncan jump up off his toes to pass.....let him land....let him even look around at the refs because he was expecting the call.....then let them keep going.

The same refs who even let Duncan get away with nailing a shooter.....so blatant that even the TNT commentators talked about it.

Seriously Lurker you saying that a majority of the calls went the Lakers way last night only proves how bias you are.  

LOOLOLOLOLOLOL @ Reality.......True balerina
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 10:53:53 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 11:03:49 AM »
Before you guys start complaining read my post above.  I dont think the refs gave the game away.  In fact it was the hustle plays and the penetration that lost the Lakers the game.  But since Lurker wants to bring it up....

Yes those are the same refs who called 3 seconds on Shaq but 3 plays later let Duncan sit in the post for twice as long.

The same refs who let Tony Parker get away with a travel in back to back plays on his way to the basket.  One of those being bailed out with a foul.   You cannot split the defense with one step then bunny hop for a floater.  That my friend is travel and happens plenty of times.

The same refs who let Duncan foul Kobe two times going to the rim and two times when Shaq was going up for a dunk.  Very easy out in the open fouls to call.

The same refs who let Duncan jump up off his toes to pass.....let him land....let him even look around at the refs because he was expecting the call.....then let them keep going.

The same refs who even let Duncan get away with nailing a shooter.....so blatant that even the TNT commentators talked about it.

Seriously Lurker you saying that a majority of the calls went the Lakers way last night only proves how bias you are.  

If Shaq gets 9 fouls per game I think he can play alot more agressively and maybe the Lakers could have a shot.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 11:18:27 AM »
Before you guys start complaining read my post above.  I dont think the refs gave the game away.  In fact it was the hustle plays and the penetration that lost the Lakers the game.  But since Lurker wants to bring it up....

The same refs who let Tony Parker get away with a travel in back to back plays on his way to the basket.  One of those being bailed out with a foul.   You cannot split the defense with one step then bunny hop for a floater.  That my friend is travel and happens plenty of times.

The same refs who let Duncan foul Kobe two times going to the rim and two times when Shaq was going up for a dunk.  Very easy out in the open fouls to call.

Sorry westkoast I didn't bring it up.  One of your fellow Laker fans started the whole "refs cost us the game" BS.   I just pointed out some of the more blatant calls or non calls that were supported by television replays.  And the simple fact that if the Spurs' fans were to try and use the "refs cost us the game" excuse it would be hammered down our throats.  Here I am trying to apply the same approach and all you & WOW can do is try to twist it around to where I am at fault.

IMO both games were called fairly even.  LA got the ft advantage in game one.  SA got the advantage in game 2.  Both teams are getting away with extremely physical play....and ref Fryer's comment last night seems to best sum up the officiating: it didn't seem to impede him.  In other words if the foul doesn't impact the flow of the play they are not going to call it.

Legler on ESPN broke it down best.  A week ago everyone knew the Lakers were going to have to stop the pick'and-roll, hit the glass and hit their open jumpers.  So far they have basicaaly accomplished one of the 3.....they are outrebounding the Spurs.  However the other two items are killing them and moving the games from SA to LA won't change that.

Sorry if calling bullcrap on using the refs as an excuse upsets the purple & gold nation....but what goes around comes around.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 11:19:31 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 11:25:51 AM »

I just hope Shaq gets as many non-calls as TD when he hits Spurs players across the arms on shot attempts.
There is no double standard and I more than expected to get flack for that post but that's what I thought of that game.  Where did I state the Spurs couldn't beat the Lakers?  I in fact stated that most likely the Spurs would win before the series even started.  You on the other hand just CANNOT be objective about the Lakers.  No big deal, not everyone has it in them.

The arrogance of the Lakers AND THEIR FANS from past gloatfest has earned them complete lack of objectivity regarding their team from elsewhere. The 28 free throws in one quarter has completely destroyed any consideration for objectivity over how any other team MIGHT get even slightly favored by the officials.

But for this game, it was so clear why the Spurs earned what is being construed by WK as an unbalanced free throw discrepancy (19 FT's for the Spurs compared to 6 for the Lakers in the first half). They cannot match the speed of the Spurs. Slower teams try to slow down faster ones by grabbing and shoving; it is their only recourse. Of course they would accumulate more fouls because they had to initiate the contact for any hope of preventing a bigger differential in the score.

From WOW's and WK insinuations, but apparently with a complete lack of objectivity on their part,   :lol:  the refs have no business making foul calls like this on the slower, more desparate, team unless they, what, even the calls out???? :blink:

As WayOutWest has so "unobjectively" volunteered, the Lakers are not as good as the Spurs. End of story.

Since WOW has insisted
...that most likely the Spurs would win before the series even started
, I suggest we all just unite with WOW and accept that the officials think so to, so we ALL should agree with them. Why torture a clearly dead horse further by prolonging its agony? They can smell the demise of the Laker dynasty the same as WOW can, so before the corpse starts decomposing on national TV further, this is a more humane way of shoving the remains into history. and moving towards the future.

Jackson can make his limpwrist-whimpy post game inZENuations about the "humanity" of some of the refs to make it look like he actually still has some sort of sway with the League. But the League has already dismissed the carcass he still "coaches" as long past its burial date and they are clearly tired of washing their hands after touching it.

Let's all pray, along with WOW, that the LA Cadavers can rest in peace soon; that our fond memories of their class and sportsmanship from when their cheeks were still rosy and their legs still spry; when the bling, bling so righteously and deservedly glowed over the fires of downtown LA after their championship runs; when Shaq's insults actually had some teammates behind him who could back him up; when Kobe still was thought to be a model citizen; when Jackson actually HAD legitimate Hall-of-Fame players on his team when they were in their prime and not some MJ wannabe who is only looking for his next smirk to be shown on ESPN after he once again drains the game winning shot.....ah memories.

Cadaver fans, you have my full sympathy. Nothing is harder to deal with then the loss of a loved one. Regardless of the stench surrounding the dying, we all have to admire how you all just hold your collective noses and stay next to the body till the bitter end.

No burned out squad cars this year, but in their memory, perhaps you can burn a go-cart.........
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 11:34:47 AM »
LOL JoMal.

You top my list of un-objective fans, I expect nothing less regarding the Lakers coming from you.  

There is really nothing I post that could top the misery of being a fan of a loser organization like the Kings so I'll save my keyboard.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 11:35:51 AM »

I just hope Shaq gets as many non-calls as TD when he hits Spurs players across the arms on shot attempts.
There is no double standard and I more than expected to get flack for that post but that's what I thought of that game.  Where did I state the Spurs couldn't beat the Lakers?  I in fact stated that most likely the Spurs would win before the series even started.  You on the other hand just CANNOT be objective about the Lakers.  No big deal, not everyone has it in them.

The arrogance of the Lakers AND THEIR FANS from past gloatfest has earned them complete lack of objectivity regarding their team from elsewhere. The 28 free throws in one quarter has completely destroyed any consideration for objectivity over how any other team MIGHT get even slightly favored by the officials.

But for this game, it was so clear why the Spurs earned what is being construed by WK as an unbalanced free throw discrepancy (19 FT's for the Spurs compared to 6 for the Lakers in the first half). They cannot match the speed of the Spurs. Slower teams try to slow down faster ones by grabbing and shoving; it is their only recourse. Of course they would accumulate more fouls because they had to initiate the contact for any hope of preventing a bigger differential in the score.

From WOW's and WK insinuations, but apparently with a complete lack of objectivity on their part,   :lol:  the refs have no business making foul calls like this on the slower, more desparate, team unless they, what, even the calls out???? :blink:

As WayOutWest has so "unobjectively" volunteered, the Lakers are not as good as the Spurs. End of story.

Since WOW has insisted
...that most likely the Spurs would win before the series even started
, I suggest we all just unite with WOW and accept that the officials think so to, so we ALL should agree with them. Why torture a clearly dead horse further by prolonging its agony? They can smell the demise of the Laker dynasty the same as WOW can, so before the corpse starts decomposing on national TV further, this is a more humane way of shoving the remains into history. and moving towards the future.

Jackson can make his limpwrist-whimpy post game inZENuations about the "humanity" of some of the refs to make it look like he actually still has some sort of sway with the League. But the League has already dismissed the carcass he still "coaches" as long past its burial date and they are clearly tired of washing their hands after touching it.

Let's all pray, along with WOW, that the LA Cadavers can rest in peace soon; that our fond memories of their class and sportsmanship from when their cheeks were still rosy and their legs still spry; when the bling, bling so righteously and deservedly glowed over the fires of downtown LA after their championship runs; when Shaq's insults actually had some teammates behind him who could back him up; when Kobe still was thought to be a model citizen; when Jackson actually HAD legitimate Hall-of-Fame players on his team when they were in their prime and not some MJ wannabe who is only looking for his next smirk to be shown on ESPN after he once again drains the game winning shot.....ah memories.

Cadaver fans, you have my full sympathy. Nothing is harder to deal with then the loss of a loved one. Regardless of the stench surrounding the dying, we all have to admire how you all just hold your collective noses and stay next to the body till the bitter end.

No burned out squad cars this year, but in their memory, perhaps you can burn a go-cart.........
For someone to insinuate something they have to actually do that themselves.  You are trying to put words into my mouth.  I never said that the refs need to even out calls nor did I even say they shouldnt call what I call lazy defense fouls.  You are making those parts up.  I brought up those fouls because as Lurker posted, the Lakers got a majority of the calls in their favor and to back this claim up he even pointed out that even the drunken Spurs fans were complaning :rolleyes:

The only think that pains me about this loss is the fact that were are in the same class as the Kings now.....always comming up short against the better defensive teams in the playoffs back to back years.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 11:56:50 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 11:38:27 AM »
Sorry if calling bullcrap on using the refs as an excuse upsets the purple & gold nation....but what goes around comes around.
That's the funniest thing Lurker, Laker fans didn't start that line of BS, that started 4 years ago.  When Laker fans pull the same card you get all upset and leave the board because your team doesn't get "props".  I guess you can't take what you dish out.  In all honestly there are only two posters on this board who can't take what they dish out, that's why I like this board, pretty strong personalities for the most part.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 11:42:32 AM »
That's the funniest thing Lurker, Laker fans didn't start that line of BS, that started 4 years ago.  When Laker fans pull the same card you get all upset and leave the board because your team doesn't get "props".  I guess you can't take what you dish out.  In all honestly there are only two posters on this board who can't take what they dish out, that's why I like this board, pretty strong personalities for the most part.
 :D   Ummmm Wow.....

SA Tards - 2

LA Turds - 0

:o  :blink:  :D  :lol:  :ph34r:  :)  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 11:42:49 AM »
No WOW I never used the ref card....maybe other fans.   But then when condemning others but pulling the same stunt yourself....well, it sounds sort of BUSH league if you get my drift.

And I left not because of lack of props but moreso for the type of crap in this thread.  Hypocrisy followed by rationalization.  Then indignation that Laker fans aren't allowed the same leniencies that they condemn others for.  Takes sportsmanship & class to even lower levels.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 11:44:54 AM »
:D   Ummmm Wow.....

SA Tards - 2

LA Turds - 0

:o  :blink:  :D  :lol:  :ph34r:  :)
SHUT UP, I'm not listening to YOU!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 11:46:48 AM »
Congrats to the Spurs and their fans.  I will NEVER blame a game on the refs -- sure, there were bad calls and I certainly thought that the refs favored the Spurs but it wasn't the refs that beat the Lakers, it was the Spurs defense and the Lakers either inability or unwillingness to execute down the stretch (on both ends of the court).  PJ has definately not come up with a game plan to beat the Spurs -- it seems that we continue to march on with the status quo.  

I don't buy into "refs" winning the games -- in the past or the present.  If you truly believe that, than I don't see ANY reason why you continue to be a fan of the NBA.  The NBA would be on the same status with the WWF -- interesting entertainment but the knowledge that the result was scripted (along with all the words, plays, etc.) before the game even began.  I don't buy that and if you do, I find it interesting that you even watch the game.  The facts are that the NBA has a LOT more reasons to make big market teams the winners than they do the small market teams (look at last years NBA finals -- one of the poorest ratings in years) but while the league would certainly produce a good profit they also recognize that to mess with the integrity of the game is to kill all profit in the end.  Stern is much smarter than that.

The Spurs beat the Lakers, not the refs.  It's up to the best team to win no matter what the calls.  The Spurs SHOULD get some homecooking (at home) and superstars will always get the calls (although it's clear in this series that the refs only see 3 superstars -- Kobe, Shaq and TD).

As for the hypocritical idiot who decides to state on one hand that it's unfair for the Lakers to have a free throw advantage but fair for other teams to have a free throw advantage -- I'll stop at saying your an idiot.  You couldn't recognize objectivity, when it comes to the Lakers OR the Spurs if it hit you in the face.  I don't expect people like Lurker, SpursX3, SF101, WK, WOW, or myself to be objective about their teams -- I don't even expect most of those guys to be objective about our opponents (I prefer the word ENEMY  :lol: ) but Reality, it's one thing to be a bandwagoneer, it's another thing to be a total idiotic jerk who states one thing (i.e. Lakers 28 ft advantage = be given the game by the league) and then rejects the same when it happens to their team (i.e. Spurs 28 ft advantage = deserved win).  It's the reason why I can't respect you as a fan and your comments previously here are causing me to lose respect for you as a poster and a person.  I would suggest that you TRY to at least RESPECT the other team and it's fans.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 11:53:09 AM »
No WOW I never used the ref card....maybe other fans.   But then when condemning others but pulling the same stunt yourself....well, it sounds sort of BUSH league if you get my drift.

Who's codeming who?  Have I ever disputed that Lakers do in fact recieve "gifts"?  I just debate that it's star treatment not Laker treatment and not exlusive to the Lakers and their players.  Call it bushleague if you want, I don't care, that's how things are played out on THIS VERY BOARD, all over the net and in real life.

IMO the refs helped the Spurs keep the Lakers off balance.  That's not the only reason, ergo the title, but a reason for the Laker loss.  IMO Tony was the biggest factor followed by another weak performance by GP and Karl.

And I left not because of lack of props but moreso for the type of crap in this thread.  Hypocrisy followed by rationalization.  Then indignation that Laker fans aren't allowed the same leniencies that they condemn others for.  Takes sportsmanship & class to even lower levels.

EXACTLY, can't take what you dish out.  You're not the only one who dishes it out, nor are you a big culprit, but so far you're the only one who couldn't take it when it was dished out towards your team.  Maybe you can now appreciate what it's like being a die-hard Laker fan, dealing with BS and cheapshots at your team is part of the daily routine.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 11:53:59 AM »
Congrats to the Spurs and their fans.  I will NEVER blame a game on the refs -- sure, there were bad calls and I certainly thought that the refs favored the Spurs but it wasn't the refs that beat the Lakers, it was the Spurs defense and the Lakers either inability or unwillingness to execute down the stretch (on both ends of the court).  PJ has definately not come up with a game plan to beat the Spurs -- it seems that we continue to march on with the status quo.  

I don't buy into "refs" winning the games -- in the past or the present.  If you truly believe that, than I don't see ANY reason why you continue to be a fan of the NBA.  The NBA would be on the same status with the WWF -- interesting entertainment but the knowledge that the result was scripted (along with all the words, plays, etc.) before the game even began.  I don't buy that and if you do, I find it interesting that you even watch the game.  The facts are that the NBA has a LOT more reasons to make big market teams the winners than they do the small market teams (look at last years NBA finals -- one of the poorest ratings in years) but while the league would certainly produce a good profit they also recognize that to mess with the integrity of the game is to kill all profit in the end.  Stern is much smarter than that.

The Spurs beat the Lakers, not the refs.  It's up to the best team to win no matter what the calls.  The Spurs SHOULD get some homecooking (at home) and superstars will always get the calls (although it's clear in this series that the refs only see 3 superstars -- Kobe, Shaq and TD).

Most reasonable post yet.   :D

And for me to say that about one of Randy's is akin to Payton taking responsibility for his play.  Darn near impossible.   :lol:

:ph34r:  
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 11:56:34 AM »
Congrats to the Spurs and their fans.  I will NEVER blame a game on the refs -- sure, there were bad calls and I certainly thought that the refs favored the Spurs but it wasn't the refs that beat the Lakers, it was the Spurs defense and the Lakers either inability or unwillingness to execute down the stretch (on both ends of the court).  PJ has definately not come up with a game plan to beat the Spurs -- it seems that we continue to march on with the status quo. 

I don't buy into "refs" winning the games -- in the past or the present.  If you truly believe that, than I don't see ANY reason why you continue to be a fan of the NBA.  The NBA would be on the same status with the WWF -- interesting entertainment but the knowledge that the result was scripted (along with all the words, plays, etc.) before the game even began.  I don't buy that and if you do, I find it interesting that you even watch the game.  The facts are that the NBA has a LOT more reasons to make big market teams the winners than they do the small market teams (look at last years NBA finals -- one of the poorest ratings in years) but while the league would certainly produce a good profit they also recognize that to mess with the integrity of the game is to kill all profit in the end.  Stern is much smarter than that.

The Spurs beat the Lakers, not the refs.  It's up to the best team to win no matter what the calls.  The Spurs SHOULD get some homecooking (at home) and superstars will always get the calls (although it's clear in this series that the refs only see 3 superstars -- Kobe, Shaq and TD).

Most reasonable post yet.   :D

And for me to say that about one of Randy's is akin to Payton taking responsibility for his play.  Darn near impossible.   :lol:

:ph34r:
You're just saying that because the refs are letting TD camp in the lane and letting the Spurs win.  

Sorry, just needed to post something negative about the Spurs for us to disagree about!   :lol:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 11:58:10 AM »
One other thing, I don't think the refs handed the game to the Spurs or it's a conspiracy.  It just happened that the Spurs got the breaks in that game, just like sometimes Kobe goes 5 for 20.  It just happens, nobody (except Dick Beveta) does it on purpose.

Like I said before the series even started, I felt the Spurs had the stronger team, the Lakers would have to play better than they have all year to win this series and so far that hasn't happened on offense because of the Spurs defense and it hasn't happened on defense because the Laker players are still playing on an island instead of team defense.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 11:59:21 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"