Author Topic: No talk about the Magic trade?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
No talk about the Magic trade?
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:00:07 AM »
I thought it was a great trade in terms of talent for the Magic but I don't know how well the Magic will do with such a thin front line.  The Magic were going to finish no better than 3rd in the EC, Boston is clearly #1 and the Heat would eventually come around and become the 2nd best team in the East.  While this trade may not make a difference in the end for the Magic, at least this new team gives them a shot at finishing better than 3rd.  If Agent Zero is back the Magic could definately take out the Heat but I really don't think anyone in the East can beat Boston.

I think the only team that can beat Boston is the Lakers but I don't know if the Lakers can beat the Spurs and Mavs.  I think this is the best Lakers team in terms of talent since the Kobe/Shaq/Grant squad, but the Spurs and Mavs are so good that they have an excellent shot at winning the West.  While the Spurs and Mavs can beat the Lakers neither team has the defense to beat Boston.  With Kobe/Artest/Barnes the Lakers have the ability to control the SF/SG/PG positions and Bynum can more than hold his own at C.  Neither the Spurs or Mavs can say they have a shot at guarding 4 of the Boston positions with some success.  IMO the Lakers and Spurs have a better shot at beating each other than they do at beating Dallas.  For some reason I just get the feeling that the Mavs are built to beat the Spurs, and if you can beat the Spurs then you can beat the Lakers cause they are somewhat similar.  The Mavs are just a matchup nightmare and they have just enough bodies on defense in Chandler and Marion to hold their own in the playoffs.  I think both conferences are going to be fantastic in the playoffs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: No talk about the Magic trade?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 05:19:18 PM »
I don't know about the deal, because what made Orlando so unusual and difficult to deal with is the fact that they had Lewis at the 4.  By letting go of Lewis and Gortat, now they have just Brandon Bass at the 4.  Now that's not too shabby, but it's also a more traditional look, and Orlando has made waves because they've NOT been a traditional-type team.

I understand them wanting to acquire Turkoglu plus Richardson in exchange for Carter, especially if they feel they moved backward by losing Turkoglu.  I just don't understand dealing away Gortat in the deal without getting a big body back somehow.

The Arenas-for-Lewis thing, I don't understand.  Lewis is having a bad year, sure.  Arenas is a big upgrade at point, sure.  But you need someone to play the 4 spot, and Bass has never proven he can hold on to that job long term.

I think Orlando panicked, and may have taken a step backward.  I *DO* think they could have challenged for the best record in the East, beaten Boston and Miami, and taken on anyone from the West.  They aren't as far away as most people think.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: No talk about the Magic trade?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30:46 PM »
I haven't seen them play yet so I'll have to reserve judgment.   At the very least this seems to have woken up Arenas and Hedo.  I also agree with Joe that beyond Howard they don't seem to have much in the way of muscle.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes