Author Topic: LAker coaching change a'comin?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
LAker coaching change a'comin?
« on: February 12, 2004, 03:38:56 PM »
Looks like the Lakers might be eyeing a possible coaching change at the close of the season. Wondering if they are planning to make a run for Byron Scott.

The Los Angeles Lakers suspended negotiations to extend coach Phil Jackson's contract until after the season.

"We're putting this off to the summer," said Mitch Kupchak, General Manager of the Lakers. "Clearly there's a lot of uncertainty that surrounds the team at this time -- and clearly in the summer, there'll be perhaps even a lot more. So there is a lot to consider from Phil's point of view and from an organizational point of view."

The five-year, $30 million contract Jackson signed in June 1999 expires at the end of the season. Negotiations to extend the deal began last summer after the 58-year-old Jackson decided he was well enough to continue coaching, but ended last week.

"I have no hard feelings at all," Jackson said before Wednesday night's game in Houston. "I actually think it's the right move for them to make with all the free agents they have this summer."

Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone and Gary Payton are three of eight Lakers eligible for free agency after the season. Shaquille O'Neal is under contract through 2006, although he's been in negotiations for several months to extend his deal.

Jackson acknowledged surprise at the Lakers' announcement of talks being put on hold and said he'd speak with general manager Mitch Kupchak this weekend. The coach considered retirement last season based on a lack of energy before undergoing an angioplasty during the playoffs.

"Everyone concerned in this important transaction understands the business side of basketball," Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, said Friday. "We know that the Lakers have great appreciation for Phil's contributions and we also know that Phil has enjoyed the challenge and has obviously delivered great success to the club.

When asked if Jackson will coach somewhere else next season if no agreement is reached with the Lakers, Musburger replied: "Phil's professional pursuits cover a wide spectrum. He's a man who has some wonderful choices in life. My sense is he's got a whole lot of games left to coach."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 03:39:46 PM by gaither »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:43:25 PM »
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

so lose PJ and the triangle,

or lose kobe.....OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

why in the world would LA want byron scott???  byron couldnt even handle the team problems in Jersey?  you think he could better handle the LA soap opera???  big mistake IMHO.... B)  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 03:49:53 PM »
Because Scott was a member of the Golden Dynasty at one time. Being an alumni has to carry some weight.

Plus, I'm not sure how much of the blame for what went down in NJ this season should be laid at Scott's feet. With the team for sale, the loss of several of his assistant coaches, malcontent Kenyon Martin sulking over the team's failure to give him an early contract extension, and Kidd's obvious dislike for Scott, there were plenty of factors leading into Scott being terminated.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 03:55:47 PM »
I dont see scott as an upgrade to PJ.  but i can see the bank they would have to pay pj being an obvious factor, in either case, LA may have some problems next season...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 03:58:41 PM »
Looks like the Lakers might be eyeing a possible coaching change at the close of the season. Wondering if they are planning to make a run for Byron Scott.

The Los Angeles Lakers suspended negotiations to extend coach Phil Jackson's contract until after the season.

"We're putting this off to the summer," said Mitch Kupchak, General Manager of the Lakers. "Clearly there's a lot of uncertainty that surrounds the team at this time -- and clearly in the summer, there'll be perhaps even a lot more. So there is a lot to consider from Phil's point of view and from an organizational point of view."

The five-year, $30 million contract Jackson signed in June 1999 expires at the end of the season. Negotiations to extend the deal began last summer after the 58-year-old Jackson decided he was well enough to continue coaching, but ended last week.

"I have no hard feelings at all," Jackson said before Wednesday night's game in Houston. "I actually think it's the right move for them to make with all the free agents they have this summer."

Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone and Gary Payton are three of eight Lakers eligible for free agency after the season. Shaquille O'Neal is under contract through 2006, although he's been in negotiations for several months to extend his deal.

Jackson acknowledged surprise at the Lakers' announcement of talks being put on hold and said he'd speak with general manager Mitch Kupchak this weekend. The coach considered retirement last season based on a lack of energy before undergoing an angioplasty during the playoffs.

"Everyone concerned in this important transaction understands the business side of basketball," Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, said Friday. "We know that the Lakers have great appreciation for Phil's contributions and we also know that Phil has enjoyed the challenge and has obviously delivered great success to the club.

When asked if Jackson will coach somewhere else next season if no agreement is reached with the Lakers, Musburger replied: "Phil's professional pursuits cover a wide spectrum. He's a man who has some wonderful choices in life. My sense is he's got a whole lot of games left to coach."
If PJ goes, Clemmons will be the next head coach of the Lakers.

I would like to see Riles return (I know it won't happen) if for no other reason then to know what Shaq is going through in his practices   :D  

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:33:11 PM »
I agree, Clemmons is the next coach for the Lakers and I think he is a very good coach.

Kenneth, that is hilarious -- I'm still trying to get the image of Shaq going through his first Riles practice out of my mind -- Shaq would be looking for Ostertag all over again.  He'd certainly want to slap somebody down!  :D  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 06:26:30 PM »
Word comming out of LA is that it's strictly a money/ego issue.  The Lakers offered PJ the same deal he currently has, which is unheard of for the Lakers coach.  PJ wasnts more money than Larry Brown and George Karl.

I say give it to him.  There is currently no coach with as much succes, let alone more, the PJ.  Heck there is no coach in NBA history with more succes tha PJ.  Give it to PJ before the whole team falls apart.  Kobe, GP, Fisher and Malone are all FA's this summer, PJ COULD be the first thread that unravels the whole thing.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Mr. Meaner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »
Code: [Select]
Word comming out of LA is that it's strictly a money/ego issue. The Lakers offered PJ the same deal he currently has, which is unheard of for the Lakers coach. PJ wasnts more money than Larry Brown and George Karl.

I say give it to him. There is currently no coach with as much succes, let alone more, the PJ. Heck there is no coach in NBA history with more succes tha PJ. Give it to PJ before the whole team falls apart. Kobe, GP, Fisher and Malone are all FA's this summer, PJ COULD be the first thread that unravels the whole thing.

I will tell you all this: if Phil goes, Kobe is also gone. It might be why he said he does not care if Phil stays or goes, being that he plans to leave this summer regardless. But no Phil in LaLa land means no chance for Kobe being there either.

If Kobe really plans to leave, and Phil knows it, I wonder if just Shaq alone would even entice Jackson to stay and work out an extention. He apparently thought that extention was in the works, but if they are trying to jerk him around, he may not be the happiest camper afterwards.

If they aren't willing to pay him what he feels he's worth, the team is doing exactly what would make Phil exit without it looking like it's the team's fault. Clever.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 09:05:26 PM »
Code: [Select]
Word comming out of LA is that it's strictly a money/ego issue. The Lakers offered PJ the same deal he currently has, which is unheard of for the Lakers coach. PJ wasnts more money than Larry Brown and George Karl.

I say give it to him. There is currently no coach with as much succes, let alone more, the PJ. Heck there is no coach in NBA history with more succes tha PJ. Give it to PJ before the whole team falls apart. Kobe, GP, Fisher and Malone are all FA's this summer, PJ COULD be the first thread that unravels the whole thing.

I will tell you all this: if Phil goes, Kobe is also gone. It might be why he said he does not care if Phil stays or goes, being that he plans to leave this summer regardless. But no Phil in LaLa land means no chance for Kobe being there either.

If Kobe really plans to leave, and Phil knows it, I wonder if just Shaq alone would even entice Jackson to stay and work out an extention. He apparently thought that extention was in the works, but if they are trying to jerk him around, he may not be the happiest camper afterwards.

If they aren't willing to pay him what he feels he's worth, the team is doing exactly what would make Phil exit without it looking like it's the team's fault. Clever.
Man, even when he's screwing my favorite team he does it with class!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 09:05:42 PM »
I don't think Phil really cares if Kobe goes or he wouldn't have come out with those comments the other week about how the team will remain build around Shaq (as long as Shaq remains on the team) and if Kobe doesn't like it, Kobe should leave. He might as well have shown Kobe to the door.