Author Topic: HOF Induction  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
HOF Induction
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »
Had differing reactions on the various speeches.

Pippen's was well-prepared, but poorly delivered.  I thought that the three family members that spoke all didn't do very well, although I felt that Dennis Johnson's brother was very appropriate in thanking Charles Barkley.  I also loved the fact that Gus Johnson's brother told Jerry Sloan's same story from last year about Gus Johnson.

Cythia Cooper's speech was very off the cuff, and was actually one of the better speeches of the night, although not nearly as formal.

Malone's speech, in my opinion, was the best of the night, although it wasn't as well prepared as many of the others.  You got a genuine feeling of gratitude from Malone.

Jerry Buss did a wonderful job, much as it pains me to say it.  His speech was well prepared, and had the feel of amazement of the kid in the candy store.  I have to say I grew to respect him a bit more as an owner after last night.

Bob Hurley's speech, sure enough, was disjointed.

Magic Johnson nearly missed acknowledging Laettner, but other than that, you could definitely see why he's still "Magic" to this day.  He had a great love for the game, and it really showed through, and I thought it was appropriate for him acknowledging the on-going work of Mike Khoweveryouspellhisnamedoesntreallymatterbecausehesfromduke and Jerry Colangelo for the upcoming USA Basketball teams.  I thought it was also something to hear from Oscar Roberston saying "Whenever you get a chance to play for your country, you should."  Of course, such message would probably be lost on most of today's players.

Big winners of the night:  Malone, Buss, Magic, and USA basketball, which should get a shot in the arm from two Olympic teams going into the Hall.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HOF Induction
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
I thought Malone's speech was awesome.  Millions of dollars later the guy is still just a good ol hard working guy from Louisiana.  He is one of the few basketball stars I can think of that had not been changed by their professional career.    The same can't be said of Barkley, Magic, or Jordan.

Making Jordan introduce Pippen so he couldn't take his cheap, hes my lil brother shots, was a good idea.  They had a poll question on Dan Patrick's show what everyone would like to see and of course everyone picked 'Hear Jordan make a speech'  I am glad he did not.

As always Magic and Larry exchanges, whether on the court or in a playful tone now, are great to witness.  I think its cool that both of these guys go out of their way to highlight how important they were to each other as rivals and friends.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:20:47 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »
As always Magic and Larry exchanges, whether on the court or in a playful tone now, are great to witness.  I think its cool that both of these guys go out of their way to highlight how important they were to each other as rivals and friends.

I think it's cool simply because the guys could seemingly hate each other when they were playing against each other, and only like each other now that they're NOT playing against each other.

When we look back at Jordan - or O'Neal, or Bryant, or now James, we're left with the question, "Who was his rival?"  What do we have to look forward to in upcoming generations of retirements, now that everyone wants to play with their buddies rather than beat them into the ground?
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

When we look back at Jordan - or O'Neal, or Bryant, or now James, we're left with the question, "Who was his rival?"  What do we have to look forward to in upcoming generations of retirements, now that everyone wants to play with their buddies rather than beat them into the ground?

The league tried hard with the Kobe vs Lebron angle but that is dead in the water.  As soon as Bron booked it to Miami there is no way the league can still push that.  The fact they have yet to meet in a playoff series means there never was a rivalry.

I was going to say Durant/Bron but even still, with Lebron part of the super-friends, it is not a true rivalry in the same sense.

If you really think about it (and it is lame once you do) the only rivalry I can think of lately is Kobe vs Shaq.  Not even a basketball rivalry as much as it is an ego rivalry.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com