Author Topic: Which was the better deal, Dick Jefferson or Matt Barnes?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Which was the better deal, Dick Jefferson or Matt Barnes?
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
Oh the joy in Spursville.

Vancil, are you still going to honk the Jefferson horn?
Freakin Spurs reup Dick Jefferson for 4 YEARS at an as yet revealed price but it's entirely feaseable (make that Popable/Bumfordable) that Dick was rewarded for his playoff suckage with as much as 36 million bucks.  Yep, 4 years at 8-9 per.  For Dick Jefferson.

Contrast with the Lakers who just got Matt Barnes for two years at 3.6 total.  Yeah, 1.8 per year. 

So lets recap.
Well 1st off can Richard Jefferson do anything Matt Barnes cannot do?  Except suck at rebounding.
Barnes, in addition to already having a ridiculously much lower salary then Jefferson, was willing to take even less to be on the Lakers.  Cleveland had purportedly offered him nearly 7 million over two years.
Soft Dick on the other hand, opted out of a 15.2 million dollar final year extortion from the Spurs.  Yep, they could have let him walk.  He was off the team, he opted out.  Now granted, the Spurs were going to take a lux cap hit, but only for this one year.
Now, can't you just see Richard Jefferson at 8-9 million a year fitting into the Spurs championship runs not only this upcoming season but in 2013-14?  :D :D
Or surely other teams will be clamoring to trade for 35 year old Dick and his new Spurs contract.

Oh and icing on the cake.  This coming after the Spurs just reupped Matty Bonner for 4 years.  :D :D
The two suckiest playoff performances of 2010 and they get rewarded with new, not extended but new  4 year deals.

We can only hope Splitter is going to beast his rookie year.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which was the better deal, Dick Jefferson or Matt Barnes?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
I think Richard Jefferson is a better player than Matt Barnes.  The Lakers got Matt Barnes for cheap but his role will be small and most likely won't be too significant.  The Spurs need Richard Jefferson to play a bigger role so I think it is hard to directly compare the two.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com