Author Topic: Cheapskate Buss will motivate Phil to coach elsewhere?  (Read 3868 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Cheapskate Buss will motivate Phil to coach elsewhere?
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
Could Jerry Buss really be this cheap and prideful so as to let Phil Jackson go or is this just tabloid buzz in the Laker style of pretentiousness?
BSPN-Lakers.com reports:
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5202910
Buss will only offer Phil a greatly reduced salary (like 12 mil all the way down to 5 mil?) - even if the Lakers win.

The music to my ears quote
On April 28, Jeanie Buss told ESPNLA.com's Ramona Shelburne that Jackson would definitely be back on the sidelines for the 2010-11 season, just not necessarily in Los Angeles.
"I know Phil will be coaching next year, somewhere. Whether it's here or someplace else I don't know," Buss said. "There's going to be a lot of good jobs that come up this summer."

Go Celtics!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cheapskate Buss will motivate Phil to coach elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
He's not a cheapskate if the difference in salaries will make enable the team to remain profitable.  Should Buss have to pay the extra expenses out of his pocket?

The bottom line is that the league's revenues are down and the economy is in bad enough shape that people aren't spending money on entertainment like a basketball game as much as they did when times were bettter.  The franchises that want to compete and attract players have to maintain control over their spending.

Everyone wants to get paid more, I wonder how many of them will stand up and willingly take a salary cut to keep the team going. Shouldn't Kobe sacrifice some of his salary to keep Phil on the sidelines?  Who knows, if he doesn't Buss might hire Eddie Jordan to replace Phil!  :o

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:03 AM »
He's not a cheapskate if the difference in salaries will make enable the team to remain profitable.  Should Buss have to pay the extra expenses out of his pocket?

The bottom line is that the league's revenues are down and the economy is in bad enough shape that people aren't spending money on entertainment like a basketball game as much as they did when times were bettter.  The franchises that want to compete and attract players have to maintain control over their spending.

Everyone wants to get paid more, I wonder how many of them will stand up and willingly take a salary cut to keep the team going. Shouldn't Kobe sacrifice some of his salary to keep Phil on the sidelines?  Who knows, if he doesn't Buss might hire Eddie Jordan to replace Phil!  :o

They are plenty profitable.  Really what this comes down to is if Jerry Buss wants to shell out the money to keep a contender in check.  As good as this team is I don't think they have nearly as much success with a coaching change.

If the Lakers win the title this year he'll stay.  If they don't, Jerry Buss better pony up cash.  The franchise is far from leaking and is racking in dough actually.  Lakers sell the most merchandise across the league, ticket prices at staples have not dropped nor has attendance, and they make a boat load of money on TV contracts in LA/OC/SD.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »
This article was written in Dec 2009, just 5 months ago.

NEW YORK -- The Los Angeles Lakers are the NBA's most valuable team, and 12 franchises lost money in the 2008-09 season, according to Forbes magazine.

In its annual listing of the value of NBA franchises, Forbes finds Lakers to be worth $607 million, up 4 percent for the league champions. Second are the New York Knicks at $586 million, but that is a 4 percent drop. The Knicks led the rankings for the four previous seasons.

The Chicago Bulls ($511 million), Detroit Pistons ($479 million) and Cleveland Cavaliers ($476 million) round out the top five.

At the bottom of the 30-team rankings are the Milwaukee Bucks at $254 million. The league average worth is $367 million, down 4 percent, according to Forbes.

The teams losing money in the last 12 months are the Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trail Blazers, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers, Charlotte Bobcats, New Jersey Nets, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies and Bucks.

Teams' average operating income was $7.8 million, with the Lakers at the top with $51.1 million, just ahead of the Bulls at $51 million. Portland's value has increased the most, by 10 percent, while the Kings and Grizzlies each have dropped the most, by 13 percent.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is just what the Lakers and their accountants report.  Of course we know NBA franchises, like all U.S. corporations would n-e-v-e-r undereport their actual profits.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »

NEW YORK -- The Los Angeles Lakers are the NBA's most valuable team, and 12 franchises lost money in the 2008-09 season, according to Forbes magazine.

In its annual listing of the value of NBA franchises, Forbes finds Lakers to be worth $607 million, up 4 percent for the league champions. Second are the New York Knicks at $586 million, but that is a 4 percent drop. The Knicks led the rankings for the four previous seasons.

The Chicago Bulls ($511 million), Detroit Pistons ($479 million) and Cleveland Cavaliers ($476 million) round out the top five.

At the bottom of the 30-team rankings are the Milwaukee Bucks at $254 million. The league average worth is $367 million, down 4 percent, according to Forbes.

The teams losing money in the last 12 months are the Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trail Blazers, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, Sacramento Kings, Indiana Pacers, Charlotte Bobcats, New Jersey Nets, Minnesota Timberwolves, New Orleans Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies and Bucks.

Teams' average operating income was $7.8 million, with the Lakers at the top with $51.1 million, just ahead of the Bulls at $51 million. Portland's value has increased the most, by 10 percent, while the Kings and Grizzlies each have dropped the most, by 13 percent.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is just what the Lakers and their accountants report.  Of course we know NBA franchises, like all U.S. corporations would n-e-v-e-r undereport their actual profits.

What Forbes says they're worth and how profitable they are, are tow different things. How far does 51.1 million go when you have to pay Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Artest, Odom... Phils' salary is more than some teams take in!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

What Forbes says they're worth and how profitable they are, are tow different things. How far does 51.1 million go when you have to pay Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Artest, Odom... Phils' salary is more than some teams take in!

Um Rick, operating income is their profit before taxes/interest.  The salary of staff (including players) was already factored in.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
^^^ Exactly and it boggles the mind how much more profit is truly made when the Lakers win a Championship vs a non Champ year.
A back to back Championship like they are in line for now must up the profits thru the roof.

Not to be discounted at all is the value of the team going up.  What did Buss buy the team for vs what it's now worth?  A huge increase.  It's like during the housing bubble of 1998-2004.  So you bought a house for 80K.  In 2004 it's worth 500K (happened all over the place in SoCal).  You had to fix the swimming pool and roof in 2003 at a cost of 40K.  Well you *lost* 40K boo feakin hoo.  Please. You gained 420K -80K -40K = 300K profit if you sold in 2004, like many did (even tho a lot of people failed to sell).   
  And so likewise with Buss.  He buys the team for what (40 million anyone know?).  After he got Kareem colluded to him and acquired Magic he had to fix the swimming pool and roof along the way (hire Phil, have Shaq decided he wanted a rap and movie career in LA, Kobe for Vlade, Gasol collusion and pay off Stern and the refs).  That cost very little in return for the value of the team skyrocketing -in large part to Phil Js success!

Q.  What was team worth when Phil started coaching vs now?

Even in this recession I'm sure Buss would have buyers lining up if he chose to sell the Flamers at current 600 mil and change market valuation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:32:27 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
^^^ Exactly and it boggles the mind how much more profit is truly made when the Lakers win a Championship vs a non Champ year.
A back to back Championship like they are in line for now must up the profits thru the roof.

Not to be discounted at all is the value of the team going up.  What did Buss buy the team for vs what it's now worth?  A huge increase.  It's like during the housing bubble of 1998-2004.  So you bought a house for 80K.  In 2004 it's worth 500K (happened all over the place in SoCal).  You had to fix the swimming pool and roof in 2003 at a cost of 40K.  Well you *lost* 40K boo feakin hoo.  Please. You gained 420K -80K -40K = 300K profit if you sold in 2004, like many did (even tho a lot of people failed to sell).   
  And so likewise with Buss.  He buys the team for what (40 million anyone know?).  After he got Kareem colluded to him and acquired Magic he had to fix the swimming pool and roof along the way (hire Phil, have Shaq decided he wanted a rap and movie career in LA, Kobe for Vlade, Gasol collusion and pay off Stern and the refs).  That cost very little in return for the value of the team skyrocketing -in large part to Phil Js success!

Q.  What was team worth when Phil started coaching vs now?

Even in this recession I'm sure Buss would have buyers lining up if he chose to sell the Flamers at current 600 mil and change market valuation.

And why is the team being worth more and more?  They are winning because of the product they put on the floor. In part because Phil Jackson and his staff molded this team into a contender.  I honestly and truly believe that if Phil left next year the Lakers would still be a top team but would not sniff a championship.  His coaching in the playoffs is top notch regardless of the talent he has to work with.  I think even you would agree with that Reality.

Jerry Buss is just playing games and I am pretty annoyed already.  This time it isnt with Trevor Ariza, it is with the coach with the most amount of championship rings.  If he wants to be cheap and not shell out money then lower my flipping ticket prices and lower than 5 dollar quarter pounder at the concession stand.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
And why is the team being worth more and more?  They are winning because of the product they put on the floor. In part because Phil Jackson and his staff molded this team into a contender.  I honestly and truly believe that if Phil left next year the Lakers would still be a top team but would not sniff a championship.  His coaching in the playoffs is top notch regardless of the talent he has to work with.  I think even you would agree with that Reality.

Jerry Buss is just playing games and I am pretty annoyed already.  This time it isnt with Trevor Ariza, it is with the coach with the most amount of championship rings.  If he wants to be cheap and not shell out money then lower my flipping ticket prices and lower than 5 dollar quarter pounder at the concession stand.
I agree Phil has been "top notch" yet also its like the centerless NBA syndrome.  Phil has been good, he's made to look even better by the extreme lack of other good NBA coaches.  To Phils credit he responded in an interview when asked if "hard work" was the main reason for his success and he flat said "there are a lot of hard working coaches and staffs in the NBA, I've been fortunate enough to have been in the right place at the right time."

To the point, yes weskoast i am amazed Buss would even think of cheapskating Phil whether its a silly head game ploy or not.  I would think you Lakers would be outraged if Buss lets him go due to money.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »

I agree Phil has been "top notch" yet also its like the centerless NBA syndrome.  Phil has been good, he's made to look even better by the extreme lack of other good NBA coaches.  To Phils credit he responded in an interview when asked if "hard work" was the main reason for his success and he flat said "there are a lot of hard working coaches and staffs in the NBA, I've been fortunate enough to have been in the right place at the right time."

To the point, yes weskoast i am amazed Buss would even think of cheapskating Phil whether its a silly head game ploy or not.  I would think you Lakers would be outraged if Buss lets him go due to money.

I  agree with that statement, at least in the last 10 years.  To me great coaches win championships and the ones to do that in the last 10 years, aside from Doc Rivers who I don't believe is a great coach, has been Larry Brown, Pop, and Phil Jackson.  Those 3 are really in a league of their own.  Like you said they also look even better when you have the Mike Brown's of the world to take a look at as well.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
While I think Phil Jackson's worth is SOMEWHAT overstated, there's no question he should be paid top dollar on accomplishments alone.  I don't think Jackson is the best NBA coach, but I definitely think he's top five without a doubt.  And given the fact that the Lakers top assistants who might be in position to take over are now elsewhere, I don't think Buss really has much of a choice:  pay Phil, or trash something that's working in favor of something that won't work as well.

If I were a Laker fan, I'd absolutely RIOT if Buss lost Phil *AGAIN*.  (Being a Jazz fan, of course, I would LAUGH - especially if he went back to Chicago, and teamed up with Bosh and James.)  I mean, Rudy T. was a fine coach - provided he was in Houston - but his stint with the Lakers didn't just fail, it re-defined "failure."  (Until, of course, Larry Brown did him one better in New York.)  If I were Buss, I wouldn't mess with that possibility again.  For one, he can't bring in a coach that has more rings than his top players do;  Jackson has that credibility.  And playing with the "alpha dog" status on the team is the surest way to make the whole thing come unglued.

Think of it this way:  would you want to face the possibility of facing Jackson in the Finals if you were the Lakers?  A few Kobe insults, and Bryant goes wonky on the "prove myself" gig?  Does that sound vaguely like a recipe for disaster?

Personally, if I'm Buss, I shell out the cash, and silence this story IMMEDIATELY.  Never mess with winning.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
While I think Phil Jackson's worth is SOMEWHAT overstated, there's no question he should be paid top dollar on accomplishments alone.  I don't think Jackson is the best NBA coach, but I definitely think he's top five without a doubt.  And given the fact that the Lakers top assistants who might be in position to take over are now elsewhere, I don't think Buss really has much of a choice:  pay Phil, or trash something that's working in favor of something that won't work as well.

If I were a Laker fan, I'd absolutely RIOT if Buss lost Phil *AGAIN*.  (Being a Jazz fan, of course, I would LAUGH - especially if he went back to Chicago, and teamed up with Bosh and James.)  I mean, Rudy T. was a fine coach - provided he was in Houston - but his stint with the Lakers didn't just fail, it re-defined "failure."  (Until, of course, Larry Brown did him one better in New York.)  If I were Buss, I wouldn't mess with that possibility again.  For one, he can't bring in a coach that has more rings than his top players do;  Jackson has that credibility.  And playing with the "alpha dog" status on the team is the surest way to make the whole thing come unglued.

Think of it this way:  would you want to face the possibility of facing Jackson in the Finals if you were the Lakers?  A few Kobe insults, and Bryant goes wonky on the "prove myself" gig?  Does that sound vaguely like a recipe for disaster?

Personally, if I'm Buss, I shell out the cash, and silence this story IMMEDIATELY.  Never mess with winning.

I think he is the best coach for this situation.  Some of the great no non sense coaches like Pop or Sloan would not fit in well in Los Angeles.  I personally think they would hate it.   Phil Jackson commands some celebrity and he also woo'd the owners young daughter who is loved in the area.   He also is great at managing teams.  It takes a certain level of respect to manage players who already have big egos or get their ego inflated by being in this environment with movie and music stars.  Popavich lucked out getting a legend who's attitude and approach was right up his alley.  I wonder how a Kobe Bryant would have turned out under Pop instead of Phil.

3 finals in 3 years and he doesn't want to toss in another 2-3 million per year?  The team makes that back just in playoff/finals money they get for advancing.  It's a no brainer.  Sometimes I wonder if this is just the media trying to play this up or if Jerry Buss really is debating on trying to switch up the chemistry.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:42:04 PM by westkoast »