Author Topic: The refs tried to job the Lakers last night.  (Read 2802 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
The refs tried to job the Lakers last night.
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:08:48 AM »
The Lakers were up by one and had the ball with less than 24 sec. left. On the in-bounds, one of the Utah players grabs Fisher who was cutting to take the in-bounds pass. He actually took Fisher down to the floor, and the refs called nothing. The intended pass ends up going to Kyle Korver who calls a time-out.

This gave Utah the ball with a little over 4 sec. to play down by one. Utah was unable to make the shot, however, so the Lakers won the game and are now up 3-0 in the series.

The problem is that Fisher was clearly fouled on an in-bounds pass resulting in a Laker turnover and the refs allowed Utah to get away with it. This was an example of how a non-call can alter the outcome of the game. An honest steal is one thing but taking down the receiver of an in-bounds pass by wrapping him up and tackling him is something else entirely, in fact that is a FOUL!

This prompts the question, were the refs trying to help Utah win in order to extend the series?  That is was it an honest mistake by the refs or not. Frankly, the pull down of Fisher was so blatant that I can't believe they didn't see it. With three officials watching the play, someone has to be watching Fisher!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The refs tried to job the Lakers last night.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
There was a lot more things they did but that is how home cooking is.   Utah was getting away with a lot of blatant fouling and setting illegal screens through out the game.  What was really funny about it is that a number of times they replayed what happened and you could see things like Carlos Boozer shoving Derek Fisher with his fore arm because he set the screen in the wrong spot to get his man free.  Those happen in the course of a game and everyone gets home cooking, so can't get that mad.  The last play though?  Like you said, it gave them a great chance to win the game.  If the Lakers would have went down after that jumper from Deron I still wouldn't expect a peep from Reality about it LOL.

I thought Fisher getting fouled was a pretty obvious call to make because he was stuck in one spot which is why the ball slowly bounced right past him to an area with no Lakers.  That is why he never even got his hands on the pass.   I had flash backs of when this happened to New York and Reggie Miller brought them back to win the game. 

Of course the only way to really get through this under 10 second bad calls is to add a 'challenge' type rule to missed calls.  This will never happened but I can't think of any other way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:38:55 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »
The Lakers were up by one and had the ball with less than 24 sec. left. On the in-bounds, one of the Utah players grabs Fisher who was cutting to take the in-bounds pass. He actually took Fisher down to the floor, and the refs called nothing. The intended pass ends up going to Kyle Korver who calls a time-out.

This gave Utah the ball with a little over 4 sec. to play down by one. Utah was unable to make the shot, however, so the Lakers won the game and are now up 3-0 in the series.

The problem is that Fisher was clearly fouled on an in-bounds pass resulting in a Laker turnover and the refs allowed Utah to get away with it. This was an example of how a non-call can alter the outcome of the game. An honest steal is one thing but taking down the receiver of an in-bounds pass by wrapping him up and tackling him is something else entirely, in fact that is a FOUL!

This prompts the question, were the refs trying to help Utah win in order to extend the series?  That is was it an honest mistake by the refs or not. Frankly, the pull down of Fisher was so blatant that I can't believe they didn't see it. With three officials watching the play, someone has to be watching Fisher!

I real time I was not 100% sure it was a foul but being a Lakers fan I was leaning towards it being a foul.  Sometimes a players rep works against them, Fisher and Kobe are known for over-dramatizing fouls so maybe the refs had that in their heads or maybe they did not want to decide the outcome of the game, especially if that call was going against the home team.  Missed free throws could have been the Lakers downfall as well.

I was actually more upset that Artest was the one making the inbounds pass, I would have preferred it be Odom.  Had Deron made the shot I would have been pissed at Artest, had Matthews? made that tip in I would have been pissed at Kobe.  Despite the non-call on Fisher the Lakers still had control of how the came ended but they really left it up to chance and that is NOT the way you win playoff basketball.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »

I real time I was not 100% sure it was a foul but being a Lakers fan I was leaning towards it being a foul.  Sometimes a players rep works against them, Fisher and Kobe are known for over-dramatizing fouls so maybe the refs had that in their heads or maybe they did not want to decide the outcome of the game, especially if that call was going against the home team.  Missed free throws could have been the Lakers downfall as well.

I was actually more upset that Artest was the one making the inbounds pass, I would have preferred it be Odom.  Had Deron made the shot I would have been pissed at Artest, had Matthews? made that tip in I would have been pissed at Kobe.  Despite the non-call on Fisher the Lakers still had control of how the came ended but they really left it up to chance and that is NOT the way you win playoff basketball.

Making a call or not making a call in that situation is helping a 'decision' wouldn't you agree?  By not making the call they almost gave the Jazz a victory and that would have been the reason since two free throws for the Lakers would have given them a tie at best.

I didn't think Artest made a bad pass because Derek Fisher was being pulled down but I am with ya 100%.  Why was he the trigger man?  Why not Odom?

Just want to point this out, it's been 2 days and still not a peep from a certain poster about this play.  I can only imagine had this been Fisher tackling Deron Williams with the Lakers given the chance to win the game there would be 4 videos, 3 pictures, and at least 2 new corny nick names.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
Count your blessings 'Koast
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »
Count your blessings 'Koast

Shut up koast!  Let stupid dogs lie.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »
Just want to point this out, it's been 2 days and still not a peep from a certain poster about this play.  I can only imagine had this been Fisher tackling Deron Williams with the Lakers given the chance to win the game there would be 4 videos, 3 pictures, and at least 2 new corny nick names.
Sorry, can only watch so many playoff games and thought the Spurs might truly overcome Popovich vs Phx.
Videos would be conclusive thus may tend to have you go into skirt mode with Hidey and LDD, and that would be sad.  Rest assured i would love to have video of not only the play you mention but even moreso the Game 6 OKCity vs The Marketers with OKC leading 94-93 47 seconds to go.  Dereek Swisher puts his arms together and tries to set a pick by running into Durant.  Not once but twice, as the first time he bounces off like the little homo he is so he *reloads* and butts Durant again.  Tweet!  Foul on Durant!  :D :D  Now you've got to understand I have become quite prosperous off Lakerism and was viewing the game at a sports bar filled with Krishnas as San Diego has many a Laker temple.  However i failed to set the home timer on extend so that play never made it in.  Nor the next.  After the Lakers got this call, Pao Greasall missed a hook and the Thunder had a chance to go up 3 or 4 with a make.  Westbrook shoots a fairly long jumper.  Dereek Swisher (that guy again) puts both arms out straight and is attempting to push a Thunder big out of the key.  It's a blatant foul.  Alas, the ball karooms elsewhere, the Lakers get the rebound and Pao Greasall gets the lucky rebound of Kome Owns!!!! part 400 and thus game 7 is avoided.

Could, would you use your superior tech skills to get clips of plays like this up?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »
^---LMAO

The ol convient 'I wasn't watching' excuse.  I knew there would be one.  Just wasn't sure which it was going to be.  I assumed it would be 'Provide me video' but you actually busted out BOTH.  Thanks for the laugh.

Oh and look for your own damn way to rip video, use google RealGenius.