Author Topic: Will Dirk opt out?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Will Dirk opt out?
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »
Without being able to enjoy a matchup of Michael Finley defending him, Dirk in 2010 was sent the same way the RealSpurs with Bruce Bowen used to send him.
But would he really opt out?  Where might he go? 
I don't think so, but here is what he said:

"I guess I've got some time now to think about some stuff, think about my options."

Given a night to sleep on the playoff loss and possibly clarify his comments, Nowitzki said little Friday in the way of reassurance for Mavericks fans.

Oh, he said a lot of the right things. He said he still likes the trade Dallas made with Washington in February. He raved about rookie Roddy Beaubois' potential. He said he is confident owner Mark Cuban and president Donnie Nelson will do everything possible this off-season to upgrade the roster.

But this is what Nowitzki told The News on April 9 about the possibility of opting out of his contract this summer: "As far as I'm concerned, I'll play this season out and see how it goes and then a lot can happen in this business. But I still don't plan on opting out or anything like that."

Here is what he said Friday, three weeks and another discouraging playoff series loss later: "This is all pretty fresh. I just have to keep my options open at this point, see what's going on.

"Got to get over this disappointment for a while; probably drown my sorrows for a bit. And then I'll start thinking about stuff like that in a week or two. But as of now, I just want to keep my options open and see what happens."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will Dirk opt out?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »
I opened this to see if maybe, just maybe, Reality could start a serious thread.  After reading the first sentence I had to slap myself for even trying to think a leopard could change it's spots.  So I closed his post and decided to just answer the title.

I think Dirk might opt out.  Ever since the 2006 run Dallas has been eliminated in the first round 3 or 4 years.  The one year they survived the first round was against an injured Spurs team last year.  Cuban is stuck somewhat financially after acquiring Butler and Haywood so it doesn't look good for an upgrade to the roster.  And if Dirk doesn't see a way to improve a roster that is one & done then I can see him moving on.

However, I think a better question is what does Cuban have to do to keep Dirk from opting out?  Is Kidd still a starter?  Do you try to move Terry?  Is Haywood/Dampier enough of a inside presence?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
I opened this to see if maybe, just maybe, Reality could start a serious thread.  After reading the first sentence I had to slap myself for even trying to think a leopard could change it's spots.  So I closed his post and decided to just answer the title.

I think Dirk might opt out.  Ever since the 2006 run Dallas has been eliminated in the first round 3 or 4 years.  The one year they survived the first round was against an injured Spurs team last year.  Cuban is stuck somewhat financially after acquiring Butler and Haywood so it doesn't look good for an upgrade to the roster.  And if Dirk doesn't see a way to improve a roster that is one & done then I can see him moving on.

However, I think a better question is what does Cuban have to do to keep Dirk from opting out?  Is Kidd still a starter?  Do you try to move Terry?  Is Haywood/Dampier enough of a inside presence?

Wouldn't he opt out anyways just to chase more money? 

As for upgrading the Mavericks, unless they land a player who has a decent back to the basket game, they won't ever get past the 2nd round.  The fact that they rely so much on jump shooting and their 7 footer is a jumper shooter makes them very vulnerable.  I think that shift that a lot of people expected in the league in terms of going from a half court, back to the basket game  to the more run and gun style never really took place.  It looked like the Suns had a lot of teams wanting to go that way but when teams like The Spurs, Lakers, and Celtics all won titles with big men who could work on the block the shift never took place.  I honestly don't know if it ever will based on shooting % alone.  I am trying to think who they could try to go after that has a decent back to the basket game (im saying like a Marc Gasol caliber guy) but am drawing a blank.

I think Caron is a good player on the wing but Kidd and Haywood need to be replaced.  Kidd will be 38 next year. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:53:12 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
I was quite serious.  The Spurs really did just beat the Mavs.  Your Mike FinleyPop has left "to join a contender where he can get more minutes".  :D :D
Can't wait to see if you answer any of the Bonner posts also.  ::)

Where do you think Dirk might go?  I know it's hard to say until other teams FAs reup or create a vacancy.
How bad did you think George Hills injury was during last years playoff loss?  ;)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
I think Caron is a good player on the wing but Kidd and Haywood need to be replaced.  Kidd will be 38 next year. 
Kidd for Devon Harris.
In retrospect, crippling dumb move or good one?

I've gotta say more bad then good.  Not making Kidd the scapegoat, am saying his lack of shooting (which he really picked up this year), is still very insufficient. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
I was quite serious.  The Spurs really did just beat the Mavs.  Your Mike FinleyPop has left "to join a contender where he can get more minutes".  :D :D
Can't wait to see if you answer any of the Bonner posts also.  ::)

Look at the bolded wording.  Completely unnecessary to the discussion.  And EXACTLY why everyone on this board is fed up with your posting "style".  Haven't you even begun to wonder why you can post 4 or 5 times in the same thread and no one answers?  Or why in the past few weeks no one is responding to the threads you start?

Where do you think Dirk might go?  I know it's hard to say until other teams FAs reup or create a vacancy.
How bad did you think George Hills injury was during last years playoff loss?  ;)
Again due to the bolded wording why should I even bother to read...let alone take seriously...anything you write?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:52:16 AM »
Look at the bolded wording. 
So why not choose to repond only to the part on the threads main topic, Dirk opting out?  Ok?
And that Findawg is no longer guarding Dirk and now the Spurs finally returning to playoff wins over the Mavs is an undeniable factoid and one i do not think should be buried.  Yes maybe it is better brought up on another thread.  Maybe.

Completely unnecessary to the discussion.  And EXACTLY why everyone on this board is fed up with your posting "style".  Haven't you even begun to wonder why you can post 4 or 5 times in the same thread and no one answers?  Or why in the past few weeks no one is responding to the threads you start?
No.  I've seen Joe, westkoast, Hidey, Jomal, jn and ziggler all responding.  And I'm glad you did too because i really did want to know what you think about Dirk opting out or not.
I do know that lately whenever i start a game or series thread Hidey has to afterwords start a separate one on the same game that only westkoast ends up responding to.  I don't want to have some silly contest.
Joe did an excellent post on everyones (including my) posting style some time ago, as did Skandery. 

The whole tit for tat thing and being overly critical really truly is a concern for me too.  I want it to stop and will do my part.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Look at the bolded wording. 
So why not choose to repond only to the part on the threads main topic, Dirk opting out?  Ok?
And that Findawg is no longer guarding Dirk and now the Spurs finally returning to playoff wins over the Mavs is an undeniable factoid and one i do not think should be buried.  Yes maybe it is better brought up on another thread.  Maybe.

Because Mr "can't get anything through his thick skull"...you did it again.  What does name calling of Finley, Pop or the Spurs have to do with Dirk & the Mavs?

I already responded seriously to your opening post and all you could do is call me out in regards to Finley and the Spurs.  Unless you haven't figured it out yet, Finley plays for the Celtics.

And it is EXACTLY the name calling and non-relevant crap that you add to any thread that is bothering people.

Completely unnecessary to the discussion.  And EXACTLY why everyone on this board is fed up with your posting "style".  Haven't you even begun to wonder why you can post 4 or 5 times in the same thread and no one answers?  Or why in the past few weeks no one is responding to the threads you start?
No.  I've seen Joe, westkoast, Hidey, Jomal, jn and ziggler all responding.  And I'm glad you did too because i really did want to know what you think about Dirk opting out or not.
I do know that lately whenever i start a game or series thread Hidey has to afterwords start a separate one on the same game that only westkoast ends up responding to.  I don't want to have some silly contest.
Joe did an excellent post on everyones (including my) posting style some time ago, as did Skandery. 

The whole tit for tat thing and being overly critical really truly is a concern for me too.  I want it to stop and will do my part.

And all of them have called you out for the same thing.  Some stupid attempts at humor on your part by bashing the team you support, bringing some insult to Pop or Kobe into almost every thread, and just generally being unbearable to read.

Reality, I believe, and I think everyone else here believes, that you can add to a serious discussion.  But until you stop posting like some 10 year old adolescent no one will take you or your threads seriously.  I keep trying once a week to look at one of your posts to see if it can be serious.  But every time you fall into the same pattern - insults and non-humorous name calling.

We get it - you don't like Pop.  Neither does Joe but he doesn't have to say so 5 times in every thread.

We get that you don't like Kobe as do several others here (basically every non Laker fan) but again no one has to say it in every thread.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
Why wouldn't he?  By doing it, he gets a longer contract, under the terms of the current CBA (which we all know isn't going to IMPROVE from a player's perspective when the new one gets announced), and gets more money.  He'd be a fool not to opt out right now.

The bigger question is, "Will he go elsewhere when he opts out?"  And since Dallas can't get someone better with the amount of cap space that would be created, I say, "No, because Dallas will offer him the absolute max."

The only weird situation I could see is if Bryan Colangelo is willing to do Bosh for Dirk in a double sign-and-trade.  And I can't see Nowitzki agreeing to that.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!