Author Topic: What does it take to get a suspension in 2010 playoffs?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
What does it take to get a suspension in 2010 playoffs?
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
After the Mavs Najera horsecollared Manu GNob (ala Kevin McHale on Kurt Rambo except Manu was more stationary -which can be worse if you're about ready to go up) in Gm 4 and got ejected on the spot, the NBA stooges levy no suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwhy_5JEUQ&feature=related

So Najera follows that up in Gm 5 with an on purpose eye poke on Tony Parker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofqseaNT1Y
I have no problem with the initial hit.  But watch how Najera reloads, goes way beyond the initial hit for the on purpose eye poke with 1st his left hand, then when that fails his right!
(0:41 second mark then again at 0:53)
I'm NBA commissioner you're gone for 30 games for purposely going for an eye.  I'd say the same thing if GNob tried poking at Kome Bryants eye(s).

Btw, Bob Horry got two games for hip checking Nash.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:01:35 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What does it take to get a suspension in 2010 playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »
I was thinking the same thing last night (ugh, super scary we are having the same thought)

The eye poke just itself, while cheap, wouldn't warrant a suspension because it would be easy to argue it wasn't on purpose (I think it was).  When you take into consideration that the guy is clearly trying to hurt players (throw in game 4, game 5, and just the way hes been hammering guys) then I think the league needs to step in and lay down some punishment.

Double when you consider how chippy could the game possibly have got last night?  They were up the entire game.  Only that one run where they cut it to 7 was it close.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:20:20 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:15:40 PM »
I was thinking the same thing last night (ugh, super scary we are having the same thought)

The eye poke just itself, while cheap, wouldn't warrant a suspension because it would be easy to argue it wasn't on purpose (I think it was).  When you take into consideration that the guy is clearly trying to hurt players (throw in game 4, game 5, and just the way hes been hammering guys) then I think the league needs to step in and lay down some punishment.

Double when you consider how chippy could the game possibly have got last night?  They were up the entire game.  Only that one run where they cut it to 7 was it close.

I don't know if you have been watching the entire series but the Spurs have been taking cheap shots at Dirk so IMO this is what you get.  Too bad for the Mavs that Najera is the only one with the guts to retaliate, or maybe he's expendable enough be the hatchet man.

IMO playing a little dirty works on some players, like Dirk, but it will not work on Manu.  I don't know how Parker will react.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
^^^^  :D

yeah I know i saw on purpose horsecollars and eye pokes done on Dirk, you too westkoast?
Give us a break!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »

I don't know if you have been watching the entire series but the Spurs have been taking cheap shots at Dirk so IMO this is what you get.  Too bad for the Mavs that Najera is the only one with the guts to retaliate, or maybe he's expendable enough be the hatchet man.

IMO playing a little dirty works on some players, like Dirk, but it will not work on Manu.  I don't know how Parker will react.

To be honest I've only watched the last 2 games in full.  Are they hard fouls or cheap shots?  I am all for hard fouls.  I saw Dirk take the same amount of punishment I've seen the other stars take in the playoffs so far.  Najera trying to poke out eyes and play ring around the rosey sounds like more like The Three Stooges than it does NBA playoff basketball.

I would love to see this series go 7.  I think it has turned out to be a  more interesting match up than I thought it would.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »

To be honest I've only watched the last 2 games in full.  Are they hard fouls or cheap shots?  I am all for hard fouls.  I saw Dirk take the same amount of punishment I've seen the other stars take in the playoffs so far.  Najera trying to poke out eyes and play ring around the rosey sounds like more like The Three Stooges than it does NBA playoff basketball.

I would love to see this series go 7.  I think it has turned out to be a  more interesting match up than I thought it would.

Cheap shots, McDyess in particular.  Dirk is getting smacked in the face AFTER the intial foul that draws a whistle.  Dirk is way too valuable to retaliate himself so I think they send in Najera to do the dirty work.  Is it his fault he's got better aim than McDyess when it comes to smacking the face?  I watched Dirk get smacked in the face twice in one quarter and luckily they did not get him in the eye, and it was only luck that they didn't get him in the eye.  Parker is just unlucky.  ;D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »

Cheap shots, McDyess in particular.  Dirk is getting smacked in the face AFTER the intial foul that draws a whistle.  Dirk is way too valuable to retaliate himself so I think they send in Najera to do the dirty work.  Is it his fault he's got better aim than McDyess when it comes to smacking the face?  I watched Dirk get smacked in the face twice in one quarter and luckily they did not get him in the eye, and it was only luck that they didn't get him in the eye.  Parker is just unlucky.  ;D

In the games I've seen, there's no question that the Spurs were roughing up the Mavericks, and Nowitzki in particular.  That's why most teams have a guy like Najera on the team - an enforcer.  And Najera is the kind of enforcer that Dallas has needed, especially when you've got Erick Dampier and Brenda (or was that Brendon?) Haywood as your normal centers.

Dallas is a team too enamored with the outside shot, and that's always a problem if you're hoping to go deep in the playoffs.  And when a team roughs you up, Dallas typically responds by going back outside.  In the games I got to watch, only Barea had an "attack" mentality.  That's not good.  Najera gives Dallas a bit of nasty to their team - and they need that.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
Condoners of purposely going for the eyeball?  Or are you two not only condoners but proponents?
Now that is sick, should have no place in basketball at any level anywhere anytime.