Author Topic: Lakers got beyatch-slapped last night.  (Read 1900 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Lakers got beyatch-slapped last night.
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:51:26 AM »
I had to watch this one, just to see what would happen.  Would the Lakers come back assert their superiority and take control of the series, or would the Thunder to continue to outwork them and expose their weaknesses?

I think a 21- point win shows that it was the Thunder who are now in control of the series and have the momentum. The Lakers suddenly look very vulnerable, with the triangle offense unable to generate enough open looks and Bynum and Gasol being double- and triple-teamed, an ordinarily high-scoring franchise, sudden;y looks like a bunch of overpaid, over-sized punks. 

After the last game I said Phil had some work to do, and he obviously hasn't done it yet.  What can Mr. Zen say or do to turn this around?

I'd be the first to admit that I'm surprised by this. I had assume the Lakers would glide through this first-round series as they often do.  Not just because of who they are, but how they are constructed- big strong rebounders on the inside, slashers and ball handlers on the outside- the way good basketball teams are supposed to be put together. All the way back to the Celtic teams of the past with Russel.

The Thunder are smaller and weaker, yet they are the ones imposing their will and winning the battle. The Lakers cannot stop their drivers or stay in front of them, they can't even slow down the game to get control over it. They don't seem to have anyone who can stay with Durant or Westbrook, and OKC role players are outworking their opponents. LA looks completely flustered, nothing like the team the LA fans are used to.  I would have to say Phil is being badly out coached in this series. The Thunders are the more disciplined team out there, working hard on both ends and playing smart basketball.  If the Lakers perimeter players don't make their shots, the Thunder may take this series.  What is clear is that the Thunder have chosen to shut down Gasol and Bynum at all costs, challenge every shot they put up and prevent easy baskets. Laker big men are finishers more than passers, and their outside shooters aren't used to having to make shots to stay even or catch-up in a tight game.

The series is tied 2-2, but the edge is with the young upstarts. There is no intimidation factor working for the Lakers and their fair weather fans aren't use to a team coming into the Staples Center confident in their ability to outplay and outwork them.  I have to wonder who both the team and the fans will respond if the Thunder start game 4 like they did game 3.  How cool will it be to be in the stands when you are watching your team get out-hustled for the loose balls? 

Very entertaining first-round series.  Should get much more interesting from here!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Lakers got beyatch-slapped last night.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
I had to watch this one, just to see what would happen.  Would the Lakers come back assert their superiority and take control of the series, or would the Thunder to continue to outwork them and expose their weaknesses?

I think a 21- point win shows that it was the Thunder who are now in control of the series and have the momentum. The Lakers suddenly look very vulnerable, with the triangle offense unable to generate enough open looks and Bynum and Gasol being double- and triple-teamed, an ordinarily high-scoring franchise, sudden;y looks like a bunch of overpaid, over-sized punks. 

After the last game I said Phil had some work to do, and he obviously hasn't done it yet.  What can Mr. Zen say or do to turn this around?

I'd be the first to admit that I'm surprised by this. I had assume the Lakers would glide through this first-round series as they often do.  Not just because of who they are, but how they are constructed- big strong rebounders on the inside, slashers and ball handlers on the outside- the way good basketball teams are supposed to be put together. All the way back to the Celtic teams of the past with Russel.

The Thunder are smaller and weaker, yet they are the ones imposing their will and winning the battle. The Lakers cannot stop their drivers or stay in front of them, they can't even slow down the game to get control over it. They don't seem to have anyone who can stay with Durant or Westbrook, and OKC role players are outworking their opponents. LA looks completely flustered, nothing like the team the LA fans are used to.  I would have to say Phil is being badly out coached in this series. The Thunders are the more disciplined team out there, working hard on both ends and playing smart basketball.  If the Lakers perimeter players don't make their shots, the Thunder may take this series.  What is clear is that the Thunder have chosen to shut down Gasol and Bynum at all costs, challenge every shot they put up and prevent easy baskets. Laker big men are finishers more than passers, and their outside shooters aren't used to having to make shots to stay even or catch-up in a tight game.

The series is tied 2-2, but the edge is with the young upstarts. There is no intimidation factor working for the Lakers and their fair weather fans aren't use to a team coming into the Staples Center confident in their ability to outplay and outwork them.  I have to wonder who both the team and the fans will respond if the Thunder start game 4 like they did game 3.  How cool will it be to be in the stands when you are watching your team get out-hustled for the loose balls? 

Very entertaining first-round series.  Should get much more interesting from here!

Can't say I disagree with you on this rick.  I am a bit worried about Kobe.  I don't know if he's injured or if he is being a big baby.  The Lakers clearly control the game when they go into Bynum and Gasol.  There is nothing the Thunder can do about the Lakers big men.  If they play strait up the Lakers score, if they double team the big men kick out to open shooters.  The Lakers get into trouble when the Lakers go away from Bynum and Gasol so they have been making a concerted effort to go inside.  But Kobe only taking 1 shot in the 1st half could mean Kobe is unhappy about the Lakers going inside.  Kobe did the same thing in the Pheonix series a few years back, when the Lakers wanted to move away from Kobe dominating the ball Kobe decided to "show up" the Lakers by not taking any part in the offense just to prove how much the Lakers need him.  Bad and selfish move on his part, I hope that is not the case but I would be lying if I said that thought did not cross my mind.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »
Can't say I disagree with you on this rick.  I am a bit worried about Kobe.  I don't know if he's injured or if he is being a big baby.  The Lakers clearly control the game when they go into Bynum and Gasol.  There is nothing the Thunder can do about the Lakers big men.  If they play strait up the Lakers score, if they double team the big men kick out to open shooters.  The Lakers get into trouble when the Lakers go away from Bynum and Gasol so they have been making a concerted effort to go inside.  But Kobe only taking 1 shot in the 1st half could mean Kobe is unhappy about the Lakers going inside.  Kobe did the same thing in the Pheonix series a few years back, when the Lakers wanted to move away from Kobe dominating the ball Kobe decided to "show up" the Lakers by not taking any part in the offense just to prove how much the Lakers need him.  Bad and selfish move on his part, I hope that is not the case but I would be lying if I said that thought did not cross my mind.
Hidey,
your progress is very good!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »
WOW... Kobe said in the press conference that it was by design for him to not shoot but to establish those guys first.  That was what the coaching staff drew up and that is what he did.  As for him taking 10 shots at 50% I'll live with that.  I rather he take less shots and shoot a higher percentage than start jacking up shots.  Especially if you think that he shot 4 freethrows over 2 games even tho he shot more than 30 times.

Good assessment Rick, I too would agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I don't think the Lakers are 'stronger' than the Thunder though.  Bynum is hesitant with the knee more often than not.  His moves are not quite as crisp and he doesn't move quite as well.  And Pau Gasol is not strong by any means.  He just does not have the strength to MOVE players under the basket.  Not his style and not something he really can do on each play.  It's not quite like a Barkley or a Shaq up in the post to where I would say we are 'stronger'  To me it's speed vs tired players and 10 on 5 (Lakers bench stinks) that are the problems.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:28:08 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »
WOW... Kobe said in the press conference that it was by design for him to not shoot but to establish those guys first.  That was what the coaching staff drew up and that is what he did.  As for him taking 10 shots at 50% I'll live with that.  I rather he take less shots and shoot a higher percentage than start jacking up shots.  Especially if you think that he shot 4 freethrows over 2 games even tho he shot more than 30 times.

Good assessment Rick, I too would agree with a lot of what you are saying.  I don't think the Lakers are 'stronger' than the Thunder though.  Bynum is hesitant with the knee more often than not.  His moves are not quite as crisp and he doesn't move quite as well.  And Pau Gasol is not strong by any means.  He just does not have the strength to MOVE players under the basket.  Not his style and not something he really can do on each play.  It's not quite like a Barkley or a Shaq up in the post to where I would say we are 'stronger'  To me it's speed vs tired players and 10 on 5 (Lakers bench stinks) that are the problems.

I understand Kobe getting other guys involved but it just looked like Kobe was over-doing it, either because he was really trying to get the other guys going or because he was in "pout" mode.  Can not say either way.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"