Author Topic: Can the Spurs make the playoffs?  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Can the Spurs make the playoffs?
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
Thanks to injuries to Yao Ming and Chris Paul, the answer is yes.  Well, make that probably since we are talking Greg Popovich at the helm.

Another beyond pathetic effort last night by Richard "Soft Dick" Jefferson that *NO* amount of Vancilspin can undo.  Coupled with Matt Bonner being the featured forward as Blair, McDyess and Ian Manhimi sat chained to the bench and you've got a Spurs loss at Atlanta in overtime.  Not that Bonner was horrible, he wasn't.  Hit some key treys.  A real coach would use Bonner as a situational player, not a featured forward.  Horford and Webster simply abused Soft Dick at will, and Jeffersons non effort at boxiing out was disgusting.  If i knew how to stream, i would.  Beautiful effort by SuperManu and Timmy Dunks wasted.

Alas its off to OKCity tonight.  I predicted OKC in the playoffs and The Popovichs out.  Appears i will be wrong about the Spurs (Popovich) making it but not wrong about OKC.

Hey it's looking like Spurs vs Lakers Round 1.  Lurker i can get you tickets at Staples.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can the Spurs make the playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
I was going to ask you why you think that if Chris Paul and Yao Ming were back everything in the season would play out the exact same way but decided not too...

Ill just answer your question, Yes they can make the playoffs because they got rid of Michael Finley.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
I was going to ask you why you think that if Chris Paul and Yao Ming were back everything in the season would play out the exact same way but decided not too...
What are you talking about?  :D :D  Give a working example.

Ill just answer your question, Yes they can make the playoffs because they got rid of Michael Finley.
Better have Lurker and Joe straighten you out.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »
What are you talking about?  :D :D  Give a working example.

Better have Lurker and Joe straighten you out.

A working example?  What I am trying to tell you is had Yao Ming and Chris Paul been healthy this entire season that does not automatically mean the Spurs would not make the playoffs.  Who knows how the Western Conference would shape up with both of them in.  You are playing the 'What If' game.  Not really a good way to start a debate.  Assuming of course you wanted to start a debate.  As oppose to you using this as your own personal digital diary you can share your own off the wall thoughts with the only other person would fully understand and agree with them.....you.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
A working example?  What I am trying to tell you is had Yao Ming and Chris Paul been healthy this entire season that does not automatically mean the Spurs would not make the playoffs. 
Yes it does.

Who knows how the Western Conference would shape up with both of them in.
I do.  Other NBA RealExperts.

You are playing the 'What If' game.

No, I'm playing the "Can the Spurs make the playoffs?" game.
True i speculate the Rockets and Hornets would make the playoffs with Yaoswer and Chris Paul.
Gee, what do i base that on?  :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
A working example?  What I am trying to tell you is had Yao Ming and Chris Paul been healthy this entire season that does not automatically mean the Spurs would not make the playoffs. 
Yes it does.

Who knows how the Western Conference would shape up with both of them in.
I do.  Other NBA RealExperts.

You are playing the 'What If' game.

No, I'm playing the "Can the Spurs make the playoffs?" game.
True i speculate the Rockets and Hornets would make the playoffs with Yaoswer and Chris Paul.
Gee, what do i base that on?  :D

No RealNBAExperts would make the assumption that NOTHING would change in the course of a season if Yao Ming and Chris Paul were healthy.  You can't have debates with people who are arguing on WHAT IFs, MAYBEs, and Fairy Tales.  So I am straight out going to call bs because why would pundits sit and debate over assumptions?  They wouldn't.

This is how your logic plays out to the rest of us:

The Rockets and Hornets would make the playoffs....because they've done it before

BUT!

The Spurs would not because......well the Rockets and Hornets would make the playoffs.

See my comment about the digital diary.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
No RealNBAExperts would make the assumption that NOTHING would change in the course of a season if Yao Ming and Chris Paul were healthy.  
In so doing they would be using what ifs, Maybes and Fairy Tales?  :D

This is how your logic plays out to the rest of us:

The Rockets and Hornets would make the playoffs....because they've done it before

BUT!

The Spurs would not because......well the Rockets and Hornets would make the playoffs.
False.  The Rockets have been on the rise since they lost loser coach Jeff Van Gunty and got Real coach with Championship experience Rick Adleman.  And Luis Scoldawg.
Ditto Hornets.

Spurs OTOH have been in a steady decline* since Popovich and Finleys marriage and now divorce.
*yes the pleasant surprise of 2007, an abberation.
Bonner, smallballs, his inept nonexistant offensive strategies, trading/benching any and all help for Timmy D in the paint.  Popamoron has ruined the Spurs.
Now i still hold out hope for a miracle such as Pop being diagnozed with some disease that renders him unable to roach, i mean coach in the playoffs should the Spurs make it.
If so, sans Popped, i like the Spurs chances as much as any team in the West.  If Manu can pull out one more CoMVP playoffs experience and Blairdog can be boarding everything in site -much to the joy of Timmy Dunks- who can return to being Timmy Dunks player of the decade.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:28:26 AM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
gee, koast...are you bored?

Of course the Spurs wouldn't be in the playoffs if other teams were completely healthy.  Any coach that leads his team to the second longest streak of 50 win seasons has to be a moron.  And every RealExpert knows that only moron coaches sport 4 or more rings.

Should we list all the moron coaches in NBA history:

Auerbach
Jackson
Kundla
Riley
Popovich
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
False.  The Rockets have been on the rise since they lost loser coach Jeff Van Gunty and got Real coach with Championship experience Rick Adleman.  And Luis Scoldawg.
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  Or that Van Gundy's championship experience with New York didn't count.  Learn something new every day, I guess.

Then again, some people *NEVER* learn.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:19:32 AM »

Of course the Spurs wouldn't be in the playoffs if other teams were completely healthy.  Any coach that leads his team to the second longest streak of 50 win seasons has to be a moron.  And every RealExpert knows that only moron coaches sport 4 or more rings.

Auerbach
Jackson
Kundla
Riley
Popovich

Yeah, I was actually on hold LOL.

Reality that was one of the worst rebuttals I've ever heard on this board.  You are honestly saying that if they don't make the same assumption you are then they are in fact playing WHAT IF too?  I think you misunderstood, again. 

Here is a thought to sip juice to......If the Rockets and Hornets were awesome like you assume threy would be I  think teams like the Thunder and Blazers would be just as likely (if not more likely) to be pushed out than the Spurs.  Of course they don't have a coach that smashed a bottle of fancy wine over your head after a Laker game when you asked for his autograph.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  Or that Van Gundy's championship experience with New York didn't count.  Learn something new every day, I guess.

Then again, some people *NEVER* learn.
Something about learning?

OK City win 50 games next year?
Joe Vancil
No.

OKC isn't even a playoff team next year.  Maybe not for several.

I still think this is a team in danger of collapsing.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »

Auerbach
Jackson
Kundla
Riley
Popovich
gee koast, are you bored?
Lets play "Lurkers selective Trivia attempt".

The above coaches all had the NBAs best roster for a number of years.
ALL but one of them repeated.  3 of them 3peated.  (Red even did better).

Who is the only coach on LurkerList to NEVER have won at least a repeat title?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

Here is a thought to sip juice to......If the Rockets and Hornets were awesome like you assume threy would be I  think teams like the Thunder and Blazers would be just as likely (if not more likely) to be pushed out than the Spurs.  Of course they don't have a coach that smashed a bottle of fancy wine over your head after a Laker game when you asked for his autograph.
Here's a thought to sip to:
My assertion was that OKCity would have a better record then the Spurs and OKC would also make the playoffs.
I put it in writing when i voted on the West Conf playoff teams.  (zig thread).
I'm most likely going to be wrong about the Spurs making the playoffs.
But i put my money where my mouth is as to who would have the better record.

Calling out Pop Brownozer Lurker and Joe too if he wants to vote.  Care to tell us who will have the better record?
OKCity
Or San Antonio with 4 time title coatailer Greggor Pop?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  
::)
The similarity point for New Orl as to the Rockets was "on the rise".
Which New OrL certainly was before Paul blew out.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »
Ditto Hornets.

Hmmm.  I wasn't aware of the Finals pedigree of Jeff Bower.  
::)
The similarity point for New Orl as to the Rockets was "on the rise".
Which New OrL certainly was before Paul blew out.

New Orleans 2008 - 56-22, 2nd seed
New Orleans 2009 - 49-33, 7th seed
New Orleans 2010 - 25-21 at the time Paul went out....

Please refresh me with what it is that qualifies a team as "on the rise"?  If it means the coach is losing the support of the players, the team's record is getting worse as years go by, and the team is falling further out of the playoff race, then by all means, New Orleans is "on the rise."

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!