Author Topic: OT - WTF! Why are the movies I want to see all in 3 effing D?  (Read 6448 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The new Clash of the Titans looks good and they go on and on about how awesome it's going to be in 3-D.  Then, just like those drug commercials, in that "side effects include slow and agonizing death" voice, they state the movie will also be shown in...2-D...

Seems like every movie I want to see will not be as good as it "should" be cause I don't see 3-D movies.  I hope the REAL Avatar movie is not in 3-D, M. Hype Shyamalan better not screw that movie up!

BTW, Battleship Yamato looks like a garbage movie but I MUST see it!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - WTF! Why are the movies I want to see all in 3 effing D?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
I hate 3D movies.  Why?  Because I am blind in my left eye so I can't see 3D.  Watching them makes me sick to stomach.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »
I hate 3D movies.  Why?  Because I am blind in my left eye so I can't see 3D.  Watching them makes me sick to stomach.

Same for my oldest son, which is why we don't go to 3D movies.  I like to go to the theater to see movies that are very "visual", I don't go out to see comedies, drama's, etc...  It just so happens that all the movies I want to see in theaters are the same movies my son wants to see.  People at work say I really missed out on Dances with Wol....err...Avatar by not seeing it in 3D.  IMO Avatar was a slight improvement to what I saw in LOTR, not "revolutionary" technology like T2 or Wing Commander/Matrix.  I am really looking forward to Avatar: The Last Airbender, hope I'm not disappointed like I was with "9".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
With the way TV is going and the movie industries drive to stay cutting edge to excite the consumer 3D movies will be the norm in 5 or so years.  I didn't even think about people who have poor eye sight out of one eye having troubles with 3D movies.  That really stinks seeing as they are pushing this technology so hard right now.  Hopefully they figure out a way to make it work for everyone.

WOW really 3D is only for the type of format you love to see in the movies.  Do you really want to see Dane Cook do some really cheap stunt gag and see his tongue stick out of some face he is making in a comedy?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
With the way TV is going and the movie industries drive to stay cutting edge to excite the consumer 3D movies will be the norm in 5 or so years.  I didn't even think about people who have poor eye sight out of one eye having troubles with 3D movies.  That really stinks seeing as they are pushing this technology so hard right now.  Hopefully they figure out a way to make it work for everyone.

WOW really 3D is only for the type of format you love to see in the movies.  Do you really want to see Dane Cook do some really cheap stunt gag and see his tongue stick out of some face he is making in a comedy?

You misread my post.  I already stated ath I do not see 3D movies.  I stated I do not go to the movies to see comedies or dramas.  Sci-Fi vs Comedy is an example.  I will go see an average Sci-Fi movie at the theater but I will not go to a theater to see the greatest comedy ever written, I will wait so see it at home or watch a bootleg copy.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:31:04 PM »
One of the reasons I would move out of Sacramento would be to see movies once again in the theatre - as they were intended to be shown - instead of waiting months or even years to see them at home on disc. We have not gone out to see a movie in Sacramento in years.

Why?

The people who go to the theatre. Not the size of the crowds - the quality of the patrons. It seems the average SacTown moviegoer has a pathalogical need to yell, not talk, to their neighbors during the movie, make "important" cell phone calls requiring the caller to shout over the noise the movie is making, or to allow the movie to babysit their brats, who proceed to chase each other up and down the aisle or roll down them.

Having experienced movies in S.F. and Paris, it appears this problem is more localized and does not often occur to the degree it does here in other cities.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:34:27 PM »

You misread my post.  I already stated ath I do not see 3D movies.  I stated I do not go to the movies to see comedies or dramas.  Sci-Fi vs Comedy is an example.  I will go see an average Sci-Fi movie at the theater but I will not go to a theater to see the greatest comedy ever written, I will wait so see it at home or watch a bootleg copy.

No I didn't miss your post.  I am saying that 3D movies will become the norm for the type of movies you DO like to watch.  No one wants to see 3D comedy movies so you will not see them being made.

Did someone spit in your Tecate and Wheaties breakfast today?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 05:27:51 PM »

Same for my oldest son, which is why we don't go to 3D movies.  I like to go to the theater to see movies that are very "visual", I don't go out to see comedies, drama's, etc...  It just so happens that all the movies I want to see in theaters are the same movies my son wants to see.  People at work say I really missed out on Dances with Wol....err...Avatar by not seeing it in 3D.  IMO Avatar was a slight improvement to what I saw in LOTR, not "revolutionary" technology like T2 or Wing Commander/Matrix.  I am really looking forward to Avatar: The Last Airbender, hope I'm not disappointed like I was with "9".

Did I just see "'revolutionary' technology" and the movie "Wing Commander" mentioned at the same time?

Now don't get me wrong.  I went to see Wing Commander opening night.  Took Skander along.  He and I were *HUGE* Wing Commander video game fans,me moreso than him.  And I *WAITED* for that movie.  I was more excited about that movie than I've been about any other than perhaps the first X-Men.  Talk about a let-down.

The movie sucked.  Just flat-out sucked.  I cannot be more adamant about how much the movie sucked.

If the movie had been AVERAGE, I'd be on here talking about how great it was.  Might even be suggesting the name "Halcyon" for Skander's kid.  Of course, they didn't have Col. Halcyon on the Tiger's Claw in the movie...because THE MOVIE SUCKED.

If you haven't seen the movie, rent the DVD and destroy it.  You'll be doing the world - and yourself - a favor, since this is the kind of movie you DEFINITELY need to wait until it comes out on video, and *THEN* miss it.

Sorry.  This is just a very sore point with me.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »

Did I just see "'revolutionary' technology" and the movie "Wing Commander" mentioned at the same time?

Now don't get me wrong.  I went to see Wing Commander opening night.  Took Skander along.  He and I were *HUGE* Wing Commander video game fans,me moreso than him.  And I *WAITED* for that movie.  I was more excited about that movie than I've been about any other than perhaps the first X-Men.  Talk about a let-down.

The movie sucked.  Just flat-out sucked.  I cannot be more adamant about how much the movie sucked.

If the movie had been AVERAGE, I'd be on here talking about how great it was.  Might even be suggesting the name "Halcyon" for Skander's kid.  Of course, they didn't have Col. Halcyon on the Tiger's Claw in the movie...because THE MOVIE SUCKED.

If you haven't seen the movie, rent the DVD and destroy it.  You'll be doing the world - and yourself - a favor, since this is the kind of movie you DEFINITELY need to wait until it comes out on video, and *THEN* miss it.

I agree that the movie was horrible but they introduced ground breaking technology that "The Matrix" gets all credit for, you know what I'm talking about don't you?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »
No I didn't miss your post.  I am saying that 3D movies will become the norm for the type of movies you DO like to watch.  No one wants to see 3D comedy movies so you will not see them being made.

Did someone spit in your Tecate and Wheaties breakfast today?

Wheaties is for fagula's!  Real hombre's eat Maizoro!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »

I agree that the movie was horrible but they introduced ground breaking technology that "The Matrix" gets all credit for, you know what I'm talking about don't you?

Actually, I don't.  I can't think of ANYTHING I liked about "Wing Commander."  Everything about it seems primitive to me.  "The Matrix" was a good movie.  And while there were some cool special effects, they have little to do with why the movie is good.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
Actually, I don't.  I can't think of ANYTHING I liked about "Wing Commander."  Everything about it seems primitive to me.  "The Matrix" was a good movie.  And while there were some cool special effects, they have little to do with why the movie is good.

The SFX where the scene seems to feeze but the camera is still moves around the frozen action, that came from Wing Commander.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »
One of the reasons I would move out of Sacramento would be to see movies once again in the theatre - as they were intended to be shown - instead of waiting months or even years to see them at home on disc. We have not gone out to see a movie in Sacramento in years.

Why?

The people who go to the theatre. Not the size of the crowds - the quality of the patrons. It seems the average SacTown moviegoer has a pathalogical need to yell, not talk, to their neighbors during the movie, make "important" cell phone calls requiring the caller to shout over the noise the movie is making, or to allow the movie to babysit their brats, who proceed to chase each other up and down the aisle or roll down them.

Having experienced movies in S.F. and Paris, it appears this problem is more localized and does not often occur to the degree it does here in other cities.

It's like that in some parts of this town.  I do not go to the theater unless it is something I absolutely NEED to see as soon as it is released.  I even drive clear across town to go see a movie to avoid 'ignant mofo's' at the near by theaters.  I can't remember what movie it was, but I took my kids to go see some film they wanted to watch and the family in the row behind us had I don't know how many kids...guess enough to make a decent living off of welfare and food stamps but not enough to buy birth control...anyway, one of the kids is standing up holding onto my sons seat, swaying around, and kicking his shoes into the back of the seat - this kid was probably 4 or 5 years old.  Anywho, I have to turn around to tell this kids parents to get him to stop kicking my sons chair - they look at ME in disbelief, and then try to puff up like I was offending them, I tell them they heard me loud and clear - get this damn kid off of my sons seat, now.  "Oh, uhh, sorry...mijo sit down.  People are tryig to watch the movie man!".....  'Ignant mofo's'   I can't stand people taking calls durig the movie, I don't like people having some freaking conversation during the movie that could wait til AFTER the film is over - but no - for some reason they felt like sitting in a movie theater is the best setting to have that particular conversation.  Last thing I cannot stand is the parents that will not take the crying baby out into the hallway to calm the child down...I hate that.  Sorry you have a child and no baby sitter, but you are messing with my movie time here.  Wait for DVD if you can't get a sitter - just saying.  OK......I think I have vented on all that enough... :P :P :P :P
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
^^  We have a theater chain here in S.D. that has baby and todler time.
A couple of showings per week are set aside for nothing but babies and todlers.  So they can squak away all they want and all the parants are in the same boat.

Of course the igs would have to utilize such times.  ::) :D

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »
I finally just gave up going out to movies. If I have to look forward to confrontations with idiots every time I go to see a movie, why bother. Too old to be throwing down with a mother who won't control her kids. Last time I had to confront a moron who just would not shut up once the movie started, not even close to a whisper. He got up to confront me but once I stood up, he found his seat and shut up, but still......
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."