Author Topic: Kings are in freefalling disarray  (Read 4097 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kings are in freefalling disarray
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
After what promised out to be an improved year with some great, young rookies and other young players, the Kings are now looking so disallusioned on the court that they spend more time contemplating their shoelaces then where the basketball is going.

Our new coach Paul Westphal. At first his constant rotation of players in and out of the starting lineup was viewed as a good way to judge his talent with different players on the court starting each night. Now, it looks desparate and disorganized, with players openly questioning the logic in keeping them ignorant as to the rotation each night, whether they are starting, or even playing.

This resulted in the benching of Spencer Hawes. He showed up at Arco to play the Pistons, only to discover his uniform was not even in his locker. His crime? He, Sean Mays, and Tyreke Evans all were quoted in the Bee about the confusion the constant changes to the starting rotation was having on consistency of play. But only Hawes was punished - as if to drive home the confusion further. Mays and Evans both played in the Detriot game and apparently with on disipline applied to either. Hawes won't talk to the media about it and Westphal said that, while Evans made "vague" implications about the rotation and Mays later apologized in person to Westphal, Hawes "knows what he did". Huh??

Admittedly, Westphal is totally distracted by his wife's serious illness, which has made Paul scarce around Sacramento except on game days as he rushes to be with his wife in Los Angeles every day.

Then there is the new arena issue. With seven proposals to be reviewed next month, our mayor Kevin Johnson is trying to get a consensus on the best proposal by saying they should review every one on its merits and funding potential. The problem is that two city council member hate Johnson so much, they get contray to anything Johnson suggests they do. They both like just one proposal, as does the NBA (the same one), which involves a land swap between the land where Arco currently is located, the Cal Expo site, and the downtown railyard land area. Johnson want to take some time to measure each proposal. These others want the city to back just the complicated deal period.

So the team is suddenly not so stable, both on the court and off. Players do not look like they are enjoying the 'fun' of playing any longer and the city management is fighting amonst themselves.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Kings are in freefalling disarray
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
Westphal is an interesting coach, but certainly not one I'd really want to take a chance on.  While he did a good job with the '93 Suns, you have to remember that Cotton Fitzsimmons really set everything up for him to succeed.  Westphal's stretch (or should I say, "stench") in Seattle was an unqualified disaster, as he essentially took over a Karl-led team that had won the division, and proceeded to turn them irrelevant.

I loved Westphal as a player.  But I'd never want him to be a coach for a team I'm cheering for.  He's weak defensively, and inconsistent offensively.

I think you'd be better of replacing him.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »
Westphal is an interesting coach, but certainly not one I'd really want to take a chance on.  While he did a good job with the '93 Suns, you have to remember that Cotton Fitzsimmons really set everything up for him to succeed.  Westphal's stretch (or should I say, "stench") in Seattle was an unqualified disaster, as he essentially took over a Karl-led team that had won the division, and proceeded to turn them irrelevant.

I loved Westphal as a player.  But I'd never want him to be a coach for a team I'm cheering for.  He's weak defensively, and inconsistent offensively.

I think you'd be better of replacing him.

Joe -

Since Adelman, the Kings' coaching choices have been a disaster. While Westphal started out with everyone on board and the team seeming to function better with him in charge, I am now seeing more or less what you are saying coming about. I suppose with his wife ill, he is also very distracted, but the team is looking helpless defensively and that is now showing up on offense in the form of disinterest as they dribble themselves out of every possession.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
After what promised out to be an improved year with some great, young rookies and other young players, the Kings are now looking so disallusioned on the court that they spend more time contemplating their shoelaces then where the basketball is going.

Our new coach Paul Westphal. At first his constant rotation of players in and out of the starting lineup was viewed as a good way to judge his talent with different players on the court starting each night. Now, it looks desparate and disorganized, with players openly questioning the logic in keeping them ignorant as to the rotation each night, whether they are starting, or even playing.

This resulted in the benching of Spencer Hawes. He showed up at Arco to play the Pistons, only to discover his uniform was not even in his locker. His crime? He, Sean Mays, and Tyreke Evans all were quoted in the Bee about the confusion the constant changes to the starting rotation was having on consistency of play. But only Hawes was punished - as if to drive home the confusion further. Mays and Evans both played in the Detriot game and apparently with on disipline applied to either. Hawes won't talk to the media about it and Westphal said that, while Evans made "vague" implications about the rotation and Mays later apologized in person to Westphal, Hawes "knows what he did". Huh??

Admittedly, Westphal is totally distracted by his wife's serious illness, which has made Paul scarce around Sacramento except on game days as he rushes to be with his wife in Los Angeles every day.

Then there is the new arena issue. With seven proposals to be reviewed next month, our mayor Kevin Johnson is trying to get a consensus on the best proposal by saying they should review every one on its merits and funding potential. The problem is that two city council member hate Johnson so much, they get contray to anything Johnson suggests they do. They both like just one proposal, as does the NBA (the same one), which involves a land swap between the land where Arco currently is located, the Cal Expo site, and the downtown railyard land area. Johnson want to take some time to measure each proposal. These others want the city to back just the complicated deal period.

So the team is suddenly not so stable, both on the court and off. Players do not look like they are enjoying the 'fun' of playing any longer and the city management is fighting amonst themselves.

I am somewhat familiar with the area where Arco is and the railroad tracks, why is this such an attractive location for the council members and the NBA?  I assume on the city side it is in an area that is not being used much.  Why would the NBA back that plan?  Honestly what is wrong with Arco arena?  If they put a team that would compete in the building it would fill it up.  If they don't the idea of 'checking out the new stadium' is going to wear on the Kings fans who have already stopped going to games don't ya think?

As for Westphal, my opinion is they give him some time off and let another coach step in full time.  Being there and then not being there has to throw off the team.  Plus he could maximize his time with his wife who is hundreds of miles away.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »
'coast -

The seven proposals cover almost as many venues - building the new arena next to where Arco now sits (the age of Arco is what is creating a firestorm about building a new arena - everyone seems to agree it needs to be replaced before it falls down - which seems idiotic); building it on the railyard site; building it as part of the downtown plaza remodel; building it at the current Cal Expo site; building it next it I-5 downtown along the river (the design of this one is by far my favorite - the graphics of it really look cool); and then this second option at the railroad site regarding this land swap that would make the arena part of a massive transportation hub. The site of the seventh one escapes me, but it might just be on one of these sites.

Westphal is doing the daily commute for now, only coming to SacTown for the games, with his assistents leading practices. The players are mirroring their coach on the court - looking distracted and lacking motivation.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:02:12 PM »
'coast -

The seven proposals cover almost as many venues - building the new arena next to where Arco now sits (the age of Arco is what is creating a firestorm about building a new arena - everyone seems to agree it needs to be replaced before it falls down - which seems idiotic); building it on the railyard site; building it as part of the downtown plaza remodel; building it at the current Cal Expo site; building it next it I-5 downtown along the river (the design of this one is by far my favorite - the graphics of it really look cool); and then this second option at the railroad site regarding this land swap that would make the arena part of a massive transportation hub. The site of the seventh one escapes me, but it might just be on one of these sites.

Westphal is doing the daily commute for now, only coming to SacTown for the games, with his assistents leading practices. The players are mirroring their coach on the court - looking distracted and lacking motivation.

I was there only a few years ago for work and it didn't look like it had any real structural damage.  Granted I did not go inside but externally it looked fine.  I would feel safer at Arco than I do at Dodger stadium.  I find it a bit funny that the age of the building is coming into question as if it has a definite life span. I still don't get why the NBA would back one plan over the other.  Or why one is more lucrative to them.  I would assume building the stadium that wows the fans, like the one near the 5 and the river, would be their number 1 choice.

What part of the river and the 5 is the proposed area?  Like what exit, just curious

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »
I was there only a few years ago for work and it didn't look like it had any real structural damage.  Granted I did not go inside but externally it looked fine.  I would feel safer at Arco than I do at Dodger stadium.  I find it a bit funny that the age of the building is coming into question as if it has a definite life span. I still don't get why the NBA would back one plan over the other.  Or why one is more lucrative to them.  I would assume building the stadium that wows the fans, like the one near the 5 and the river, would be their number 1 choice.

What part of the river and the 5 is the proposed area?  Like what exit, just curious

It seems the one thing everyone agrees on is that Arco is outdated as an NBA arena. Have to admit it is one of the mysteries of this whole thing, but unlike a solid brick building, Arco is a product of the disposable modern age.

There is no direct exit off of I-5 that would be ideal, but the closest would be P Street coming either way on I-5 or Broadway if coming from the south. This location is in a kind of loop bounded by I-5 on the east, I-80 on the south, and the river to the west. The area kind of tapers into the shape of a tear drop to the north as it merges into Old Sacramento. They call the area "The Docks". While freeways are all around the area, access via the roadways, and parking once there, would be ackward to have. Something in this design would have to addrsss this issue. I do know that alternative means of getting to the arena is a key to any of the plans, like a light rail branch nearby. right now the south line is too far to the east of his site. The railyard area is going to be well-served by light rail, however.

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
1. There is probably only one coach in the league worse than Paul Westphal and he coaches in Philly.  The same problems you went over there are the same things that have been happening in Philly.

2. Remind me again, why was Adelman let go?  He is one of the best in the league.  Jackson, Sloan, Brown, Popovich, Adelman...

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Adelman was let go because he essentially was not a company guy according the the Maloof brothers' standards. Adelman was the best at convincing every player on his team that he had a vital role as long as he accepted it and played within his system. As such, his teams routinely did well when key players were out with injuries. However, on the flip side of things, he always seems to be coaching squads with key players out with injuries.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
Adelman was let go because he essentially was not a company guy according the the Maloof brothers' standards. Adelman was the best at convincing every player on his team that he had a vital role as long as he accepted it and played within his system. As such, his teams routinely did well when key players were out with injuries. However, on the flip side of things, he always seems to be coaching squads with key players out with injuries.

I mean looking back after all these years of Rick being gone I don't know if being a 'company man' really mattera all that much.  His teams were contenders and they were entertaining.  The Kings were talked about nationally because they were doing well AND we very entertaining to watch.  Similar situation as the Suns with Nash.  Paul Westphal seemed like a good coach to put in place for a long period of time.  Just very unfortunate what happened with his wife.

So you watching college basketball to see who they could draft? Is that the plan with 20 or so games to go?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
What makes Westphal a "long-time fit" type coach?  NEITHER of his previous coaching stints lasted very long.

My thought is Paul Silas would be better suited to a team with talented young big men.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
Needless to say, I miss Adelman. But the Maloofs wanted him to be something he was not. A company Yesman of some sort is all I can figure out.

I can not get a handle on Westphal's coaching style just yet. What I have noticed is that he has been very good at guessing just when a time out is needed to calm the younsters and get them back on track. His rotation has been all over the place, however, though he clearly tries to keep the hot players on the court. Martin, for instance, was getting some limited playing time late in games prior to the trade because he was still out of synx with his shot and his defense was horrible - always a big issue here abouts, but it really was a Westphal point of contention and Martin was failing at it regularly just when you needed it to step up, which is late in games.

The Kings' big men, Joe, are not all that good - until Landry came our way. Why on earth did Houston trade this guy for a player like Martin who may score 30 a night but literally can't do much of anything else? I have to guess he is not expected to DO much of anything else on that team in Houston.

Big, mobile guys like Landry are exactly what teams strive for. Quality NBA shooting guards number like the stars in the sky - you can always find a thousand on any given night. I might add that Joey Dorsey is a really good looking kid on defense. Can't shoot a lick and it is just a darned shame because he is good enough otherwise to keep him solidly in the rotation. Fourty percent free throw shooter as well and he can draw some fouls too. 

Silas was in the running and I was personally rooting for him to be our next coach, but something got derailed with him and Westphal was pretty much pounding on the door for the job..
If we could draft John Wall or that other top level point guard and then move Evans over to shooting guard <sigh>..........

But the Kings have never been all that lucky getting a good draft slot. We get low picks in bad drafts and high picks in deep drafts. Evans may be our best pick ever so we are on a roll

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »
What makes Westphal a "long-time fit" type coach?  NEITHER of his previous coaching stints lasted very long.

My thought is Paul Silas would be better suited to a team with talented young big men.

The fact that he was reaching the younger players and they were playing very hard for him?  Why wouldn't one assume that a coach who is reaching all the young players on a franchise wouldn't be kept around for a long time?