Author Topic: JoMal....thoughts on Martin / McGrady deal today  (Read 2898 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
JoMal....thoughts on Martin / McGrady deal today
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:26:07 AM »
I know you've been a fan of Kevin Martin, how do you feel about the deal?  Any insight you can provide on why they pulled the trigger outside of what is being reported?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: JoMal....thoughts on Martin / McGrady deal today
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:09:19 AM »
Great deal for the Rockets - as soon as Ming returns next year.  They've pretty much written this season off, I think, because they really can't afford to give up Landry this year.  Next year, however, you're looking at an incredible starting line-up.

For the Kings?  Getting Landry is a plus, and they'll get some cap relief, but I think you should have gotten more for Martin.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »
I like this for the Kings.  McGrady gives cap relief this summer and can always be resigned for a sign & trade deal.  Tyreke Evans' development made Martin expendable.  Landry gives them a solid young 4. 

High 2010 draft pick + cap space + trading chip in McGrady puts the Kings in good position to grow IMO.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »
ESPN is now reporting that the Kings & Rockets are trying to get the Knicks in on the deal with TMac going to NY and Jared Jeffries going to Kings.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
why would the kings want jeffries?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
This makes a lot of sense for the Kings, before this talk of Jefferies. 
Tyreke Evans is a future star, and he and Martin play the same position.  Landry is a great role player.  Looking at the kings payroll, it seems to me that they will have a massive amount of cap space this summer, maybe as much as $30 million.  This is a great way to make a huge change, and still keep your future star.
I don't know all the details of what the NY offer could be, but it is possible that Kings are concerned with having $30 milllion in available cap space.  It would be very difficult to fully utilize all of that in one season, so they may be looking at having $20 million this summer, and potentially $7 to $10 the following summer.  Petrie is very smart (Princeton grad and all) and that may be is longer term plan.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:22:18 PM »
While Martin has been a fan favorite, he does not have an NBA body and I feel his injury situation the last several years is probably going to continue wherever he plays.

Landry is a plus as the Kings are trying to toughen up with guys who hate or accept losing. Martin is kind of on the soft side, though as a role player on a team otherwise mentally tough, he could lead a team like the Rockets in scoring every night with a better distributing point guard like Brooks.

McGrady is likely going on to the Knicks before the hour is out. But the Kings are playing hardball on what they want back. Petrie would like,(in fact, has ALWAYS wanted) David Lee in return, or he may just end up keeping McGrady and let him go with a buyout this summer. Otherwise, it looks like the Knicks are only offering Hughes, Jeffries and draft picks, but we will see if Petrie bothers with that.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »
While Martin has been a fan favorite, he does not have an NBA body and I feel his injury situation the last several years is probably going to continue wherever he plays.

Landry is a plus as the Kings are trying to toughen up with guys who hate or accept losing. Martin is kind of on the soft side, though as a role player on a team otherwise mentally tough, he could lead a team like the Rockets in scoring every night with a better distributing point guard like Brooks.

McGrady is likely going on to the Knicks before the hour is out. But the Kings are playing hardball on what they want back. Petrie would like,(in fact, has ALWAYS wanted) David Lee in return, or he may just end up keeping McGrady and let him go with a buyout this summer. Otherwise, it looks like the Knicks are only offering Hughes, Jeffries and draft picks, but we will see if Petrie bothers with that.

Now this makes sense.  David Lee would be a great addition, plus Hughes is making $13 million so that comes off, and then Jefferies is $6.9 next year and then he comes off.  All of that allows the Kings to push out one of the potential FA contracts past the new CBA, which is a smart thing to do.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »

Now this makes sense.  David Lee would be a great addition, plus Hughes is making $13 million so that comes off, and then Jefferies is $6.9 next year and then he comes off.  All of that allows the Kings to push out one of the potential FA contracts past the new CBA, which is a smart thing to do.

Lee's contract is also done this summer, but I would definitely think Petrie would offer him the hometown max to resign him.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."