Author Topic: Texas trip  (Read 2737 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Texas trip
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
To all the Texas dudes on the board.

JoMal will be in Texas in April for a week, but not in San Antonio. I will be in Dallas. Not that I expect any of you to drop whatever conniving you have planned that month, but if your parole officers permits any of you to trravel any distances, I will be willing to vouch for you in case the Texas 2-step takes you anywhere near where I am.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas trip
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »
Dunno if you've ever been to it but you should hit Rudy's BBQ in Dallas.  If you like brisket and creamed corn, that's the spot.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Dunno if you've ever been to it but you should hit Rudy's BBQ in Dallas.  If you like brisket and creamed corn, that's the spot.

It will be my first time there, so any suggestions would be welcome. Rudy's is a chain, isn't it?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »

It will be my first time there, so any suggestions would be welcome. Rudy's is a chain, isn't it?

Yeah Rudy's is a chain in Texas.  Every time I go to Austin I make sure I stop in to get some food.  They also have a little store attached to the place.  The 'Rudys Rub' is pretty good.  Not quite as great as making your own but it's good.  I'd tell you to go to Papadeux, its a seafood/cajun spot, but I don't think its quite as good as what you expect after eating in NO when you were out there recently.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »
Yeah Rudy's is a chain in Texas.  Every time I go to Austin I make sure I stop in to get some food.  They also have a little store attached to the place.  The 'Rudys Rub' is pretty good.  Not quite as great as making your own but it's good.  I'd tell you to go to Papadeux, its a seafood/cajun spot, but I don't think its quite as good as what you expect after eating in NO when you were out there recently.

I've eaten at Papadeux' at the Houston airport. It's okay but no - not up to N.O. levels. Still, when I have a layover in Houston, I spend my time there.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
Rudy's is good...it started here in San Antonio.  Same guy who started the Fuddrucker's hamburger chain.

I agree Pappadeaux is a cheap imitation of N.O. cajun.  Just like Taco Cabana is a cheap imitation of true TexMex.

As far as Dallas I have found it depends on what part of the city you are end.  I have in-laws in the Plano area and we have been treated to some nice neighborhood restaurants.  Couldn't name one for the life of me.  For high end dining (with the accompanying cost) the restaurant at the Mansion on Turtle Creek is one of the top restaurants in Texas.

As far as travel in April...no way on earth I can in the first two weeks.  And we save the last weekend for Jazz Fest.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:55:36 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »
Rudy's is good...it started here in San Antonio.  Same guy who started the Fuddrucker's hamburger chain.

I agree Pappadeaux is a cheap imitation of N.O. cajun.  Just like Taco Cabana is a cheap imitation of true TexMex.

As far as Dallas I have found it depends on what part of the city you are end.  I have in-laws in the Plano area and we have been treated to some nice neighborhood restaurants.  Couldn't name one for the life of me.  For high end dining (with the accompanying cost) the restaurant at the Mansion on Turtle Creek is one of the top restaurants in Texas.

As far as travel in April...no way on earth I can in the first two weeks.  And we save the last weekend for Jazz Fest.

My conferences will be the week of the a 12 - 16th. Both with be held at the Hyatt Regency on Reunion Blvd.