Author Topic: Ziggy, Irony is about to rear its head at the NBA All-Star game  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ziggy, Irony is about to rear its head at the NBA All-Star game
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »
I like Ray Allen's idea and had a similar one myself a few years back.  The players know who is doing well.  The media obviously knows it very well.  The fans should be apart of the process because it adds excitement.  They just shouldn't have this much control.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
I think it could be as simple as saying that a ASG starter has to play a minimum his team's minutes at the time the vote ends.  Very simple: avg 25+ minutes and play in 80-85% of your team's games.  If they haven't then the starter's job goes to the next in line based on the fan vote.  And if the player losing the starting job is healthy then they are given an automatic reserve role.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:53:44 PM »
I think it could be as simple as saying that a ASG starter has to play a minimum his team's minutes at the time the vote ends.  Very simple: avg 25+ minutes and play in 80-85% of your team's games.  If they haven't then the starter's job goes to the next in line based on the fan vote.  And if the player losing the starting job is healthy then they are given an automatic reserve role.

I dunno Lurker, in order to meet your requirement a player would only be allowed to miss 7-8 games prior to that cut off.   It's really not a stretch to say that a player could go down for 2 weeks and still be an all star.

Pau Gasol, who is no doubt an all star, has missed more games than that.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »

I dunno Lurker, in order to meet your requirement a player would only be allowed to miss 7-8 games prior to that cut off.   It's really not a stretch to say that a player could go down for 2 weeks and still be an all star.

Pau Gasol, who is no doubt an all star, has missed more games than that.

And the coaches could still put him on the team.  I am only talking about the starters.  And my solution would put him automatically on the team if he was a top vote getter unless he is actually injured for the game.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline marklapinski

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
Anyone remember that when McGrady was with Orlando he was voted in as a starter to the ASG but was injured.  He played the game before the ASG and then the ASG and after the game was back injured, unable to play.  I just think its ironic that McGrady is at the center of controversy again.  

Anyone remember Charles Barkley was going to skip the ASG and Stern stepped in threatening fines and suspensions one year?

If Magic can play after retiring, how is it wrong with Iverson to play.  Both are testament to their outstanding careers and not just one year.  Dale Davis getting on the AS Team with a 11/9 year was just about being a hustling defensive player his whole career.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Anyone remember that when McGrady was with Orlando he was voted in as a starter to the ASG but was injured.  He played the game before the ASG and then the ASG and after the game was back injured, unable to play.  I just think its ironic that McGrady is at the center of controversy again.  

Anyone remember Charles Barkley was going to skip the ASG and Stern stepped in threatening fines and suspensions one year?

If Magic can play after retiring, how is it wrong with Iverson to play.  Both are testament to their outstanding careers and not just one year.  Dale Davis getting on the AS Team with a 11/9 year was just about being a hustling defensive player his whole career.

Magic's retirement was forced by a disease, not because he was unable to play.  Him coming back to play was a special moment.   Defining even if you want to take into consideration what little the masses knew about HIV/AIDS.   AI is battling back from what exactly?   His retirement was forced by the fact he didn't want to come off the bench in his mid 30s.

Aside from that, really he takes a starting spot away from  players at that position.  There is a number of guys in the conference playing better than AI that deserve to be honored for what they've done.  Being an all-star starting player not only is an acknowledgement all the way around but from a money stand point it is also a negotiation chip for your agent.  As bad as that sounds, I think it is worth mentioning.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:51:15 PM by westkoast »

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »
Exactly as I said McGrady didn't make it.  Iverson did make it, which is consistent with the 10 year trend where about 10% of the picks are marginal.

Aaahhhhh   It feels so good to be validated.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil