Author Topic: OT - New Orleans  (Read 3614 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
OT - New Orleans
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »
Sounds like there are several of us who enjoy the Big Easy.

I would be very interested in all of your takes on the city now that it has been a few years since Katrina. I was there in early December (we go that time every year) and I have to say it has done extremly well in my opinion. My biggest disappoint has been in getting the spices we like. I heard several of the manufacturers have not resurfaced since the hurricane.

Anyway, I would like to know your favorite restaurants, activities while there, and general hangouts and you pluses and minuses regarding each. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

Re: OT - New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:44:50 PM »
JoMal

Out of curiosity what kind of spices do you buy and it what sizes (part of my numerous duties are purchasing for my company and we buy a limited amount of spices in preparation of our product)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »
JoMal

Out of curiosity what kind of spices do you buy and it what sizes (part of my numerous duties are purchasing for my company and we buy a limited amount of spices in preparation of our product)

The local mixes for Gumbo seasoning, blackened seasonings, and such. It is not that I can't find some, but several of my favorites no longer seem to be stocked. Some of the best hot sauces, such as Cajun Rush, are just gone.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »
We usually go every year for jazz fest ( www.nojazzfest.com ) the first weekend in May.  This new year's was our first visit at a different time.  It was crazy as the town was filled with Sugar Bowl fans and locals told us Bourbon St was as crowded as Mardi Gras.

As far as restaurants; when we have a chance we try to go to some of the nicer restaurants.  Have been to Commander's Palace, Iris, Arnaud's and some of the Brennan restaurants.  We had dinner at the Pelican Club on New Years.

Mostly since we go to jazz fest we eat lots at the concerts...they have booths with many Louisiana favorites.  And after being out all day we usually just grab something to eat down on Decatur.  Followed by beignets at Cafe du Monde, of course.  Back to the hotel and repeat the next day.  We have had the brunch at Court of Two Sisters a few times.  Great experience if you have the chance.  Most of these places are in or near the French Quarter.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:16:43 PM »
Lurker

We tend to get into ruts when it comes to eating in New Orleans. Brennan's on Royal was a terrific place to eat prior to Katrina, but apparently all their good cooks left town and they lost their entire wine collection in the hurricane aftermath due to lack of refrigeration and the high temperatures. I had toured their collection twice and I can tell you some of what they lost was tragic. We ate at Bacco's last month and had the best barbequed shrimp ever, which is saying a lot. We also like a new place on Royal called the Oyster House - its in the same block as Brennan's. We also heard about "the best" hamburger joint in the city from a military guy we met in San Diego the month before. Since he would not stop raving about it, I promised I would go there. It is called Port of Call on Esplanade and Bourbon. We liked the atmosphere and, yeah, the burgers were really good.

Acme Oyster House was particularly hopping that week as well. Hard to get in but worth it if you get to sit at the bar. Otherwise.....

Since it was before Christmas - this time of year is hard to beat for being there - we went to Le Petite Theatre next to Jackson Square for a performance of White Christmas and had a great time. Good show.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »

Since it was before Christmas - this time of year is hard to beat for being there - we went to Le Petite Theatre next to Jackson Square for a performance of White Christmas and had a great time. Good show.

There was stage setup in the parking lot next to Jax Brewery*.  Performances both the 30th & 31st.  Fireworks were shot from a barge in the middle of the river right there at the Brewery.  We started down there and then strolled down Bourbon circling back to our hotel on Canal. We had a magnificent view of the fireworks from our 44th floor room.   

* -  Jax Brewery was an operating brewery but isn't any more.  It has been converted to shops and has a restaurant that overlooks the river.  It is near Jackson Square.  And is part of the French Quarter.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »
Love the city (thanks for the tips by the way) being from LA/Orange County in California it is a very nice change of pace.  Little bit slower, more relaxed, and obviously very green.  Just the whole vibe and attitude of the people in the area really is nice.  It's much different than most people out here.  Also the food is unique.  While I could get gumbo and oysters here in Cali, as JoMaL knows, it just is not the same.  The flavoring is just not right.  It's like comparing Taco Bell to some authentic street tacos in Mexico.

As for the damage from Katrina, I think they did a great job cleaning up so far.  At the same time last time I ventured out to Baton Rogue there was still plenty of clean up going on.  A lot of trash, a lot of structural damage.   A number of  homes had trees still laying on their garages or on their property.  When I asked one of the locals why the trees had not been cleared out and structures repaired I was told that they had to wait for someone from the federal government to come out to inspect before they could get their money.  The reasoning being is that they had to make sure the damage was done by Katrina and not done by the owner themselves cutting down trees in their property.  I was up at LSU conducting training classes for the department of transportation in LA and there was still a large number of clean up crews even north of NO.  The hotel I stayed at was pretty much packed with clean up crews.  That teamed up with a lot of areas in NO being vacated was a bit sad to see.  The poorer areas in New Orleans were pretty much vacated and no one had returned.  Just abandoned, messed up housing projects and apartment complexes scattered.

One thing I really didn't understand until I got down to the area is just how big college football and the SEC is.  USC is pretty popular in LA but mannn, it doesn't compare to being down in that area.  Baton Rogue, on a Friday before a big game, is INSANE! 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:38:55 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
One thing I really didn't understand until I got down to the area is just how big college football and the SEC is.  USC is pretty popular in LA but mannn, it doesn't compare to being down in that area.  Baton Rogue, on a Friday before a big game, is INSANE!

It's the south/south east in general, I was watching the BCS championship game last night and they were showing a football stadium in texas that i thought at first was a college stadium but it was the stadium that I believe McElroy won all his high school games in .

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »

It's the south/south east in general, I was watching the BCS championship game last night and they were showing a football stadium in texas that i thought at first was a college stadium but it was the stadium that I believe McElroy won all his high school games in .

Yea you are right, just in general in the spots Ive been in the South are like that.  Though I've only been to LSU and UT (Austin) in the South to actually witness the madness.   Everything is bigger in Texas in general including their high school stadiums.  They take their HS and College football VERY seriously in Texas.  In Austin the entire city goes burnt orange when there is a game as well.   When I say the entire city, I mean the entire city.  The only person NOT wearing burnt orange was myself!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:37:18 PM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 12:38:19 PM »
Well jeez, i mean haven't you seen varsity blues?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
Well jeez, i mean haven't you seen varsity blues?

Yea but thats a movie!  It's different to actually witness it first hand.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »
Yea but thats a movie!  It's different to actually witness it first hand.

I was teasing, cause that movies is just god awful (but wonderful) cheese.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »
JoMaL have you ever been to the Acme Oyster House?  I don't remember if you told me to go there or it was someone else.  I thought the food was tasty.

Also if you are ever in Baton Rouge (not sure why you guys would be lol) but the there is a bar/grille on campus at LSU that makes burgers where they put garlic and onions inside of the burger pattys.  Don't know if you guys remember that old 7up ad about the 'un-burger' where you put all the toppings INSIDE of the beef but it was kinda like that.  Interesting and good.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »

Yea you are right, just in general in the spots Ive been in the South are like that.  Though I've only been to LSU and UT (Austin) in the South to actually witness the madness.   Everything is bigger in Texas in general including their high school stadiums.  They take their HS and College football VERY seriously in Texas.  In Austin the entire city goes burnt orange when there is a game as well.   When I say the entire city, I mean the entire city.  The only person NOT wearing burnt orange was myself!

This is why we bought Saints shirts this past December and became locals for the football games. Since we like the Saints anyway, it was easy to do, but it also adds to the fun being out at the bars on Sundays. BTW, because of copyright laws (!!) they had to discontine the "Who Dat" Saints merchandise. My wife got one of the last shirts like this. They were out of my size already.

JoMaL have you ever been to the Acme Oyster House?  I don't remember if you told me to go there or it was someone else.  I thought the food

I might have told you. I have been going to the Acme for twenty years at least and while the food is certainly good, the atmosphere sitting at the bar is the best reason to go, especially on NFL game day, if you can get in. We spend the entire day there eating, drinking Turbo Dogs and talking smack to everyone around us. We are really great at getting a reaction from people and keeping things lively. Not the wallflower I am around here.