Author Topic: Spurs fans where are you?  (Read 13674 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs fans where are you?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
4th in defensive rebounding percentage - not how many rebounds they grab but percentage of the available rebounds they grab...

Well when you let the Utah Jazz shoot 53% for a game, yea there are not going to be as many rebounds to grab. Ditto for letting PHX shoot 51%,   Even letting a Portland team with an 8 man rotation shoot 45% is pretty bad.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:35:17 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »
Well when you let the Utah Jazz shoot 53% for a game, yea there are not going to be as many rebounds to grab. Ditto for letting PHX shoot 51%,   Even letting a Portland team with an 8 man rotation shoot 45% is pretty bad.

The spurs are 5th in effective FG% allowed...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »

The spurs are 5th in effective FG% allowed...

Right.  They also haven't played many games against better offensive teams such as the Lakers (0), Suns (1), Mavericks (1), Denver (1), Cavs (0), Hawks (0)

And can you knock it off with the annoying trialling periods.  It's not needed.  You can make your comment and leave just one period.  It has the same effect.

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
They can only play the teams on their schedule...they are still a top 10 defense to this point in the season, i'm not sure why it matters to anyone where a team 'ranks' in january.

I mean the lakes played a majority of their games at home so should we discount their performance as well?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
And can you knock it off with the annoying trialling periods.  It's not needed.  You can make your comment and leave just one period.  It has the same effect.

:D  :D

Why are the trailing periods annoying?  I do it all the time but I use it in text the way people use "uhhh" or "like" in speech......sort of like I'm trying to form a thought.....or dumb it down for some of you to understand.....  ;D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
What do you have against ellipses?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

:D  :D

Why are the trailing periods annoying?  I do it all the time but I use it in text the way people use "uhhh" or "like" in speech......sort of like I'm trying to form a thought.....or dumb it down for some of you to understand.....  ;D

If every single time I posted to you and did .....

It loses its effect....

I know what it is meant to signify....

But this is not just one response.....

It was many.....

If you said 'uhhhh' a lot when talking it sounds bad.  Do uhh, you uhh, know what I am uhhh saying WOW?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:18:57 PM by westkoast »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
They can only play the teams on their schedule...they are still a top 10 defense to this point in the season, i'm not sure why it matters to anyone where a team 'ranks' in january.

I mean the lakes played a majority of their games at home so should we discount their performance as well?

Right they can only play teams on their schedule but that doesn't mean the stats are not skewed between who they played so far.  While they are 5th in opp FG% they also haven't played strong offensive teams more than once.  Teams that I would say are second tier offensive teams, like Utah, have torched them in 3 games.  Phoenix, who is a very good offensive team, dropped 116 points on them.  My argument is their defense is slipping compared to years past.  Why would people care where a team ranks in January?  Maybe because the season is almost half way over?  What kind of question is that to ask on a NBA discussion message board?  Why do you guys talk about the Sixers progress so far this year in the other forum? lol

The Lakers have the same record as they did last year when they didn't have so many games at home.  Though I think it's perfectly reasonable (and something LAKER FANS have brought up) to say that they have not been fully tested on a long road trip this year.  WOW for example doesn't feel like the Lakers are up there with Boston right now.  I tend to agree with him because they are getting lazy and lackadaisical being at home so long.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:40:56 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:41 PM »
Rebouding 12th (They are second to last in RPG differential as well)

BPG 14th (They are 13th in BPG differential)

SPG 28th (25th in steals differential)

I think maybe you are not aware your teams defense is slipping Lurker.  This isn't 2002 anymore.  There are a number of teams not having problems scoring on the Spurs like in years past and a number of teams who are playing better defense against the Spurs than they are playing themselves.  Any team that is solid offensively is sticking it to the Spurs.  Even ones who are not exactly offensive power houses are scoring 113 points.  The losses to Utah, Portland (3 and 2 respectively) point to that.  Utah is not exactly an offensive powerhouse in this league and they've beat the Spurs 3 times scoring over 100 points twice.  Team like Minnesota and the Kings  should not be scoring 99-103 points on the Spurs.  They wouldn't in years past.  The defense is slipping.

Try again, koast.  The Spurs are 12th in rebounding but second in opponents rebounds.  They are also second in rebounding differential at +4.09 (hit the column title twice to sort from high to low or low to high).

Blocks and steals are fairly worthless for determining strength of a team's defense.  The Spurs have never been in the top half of the league in steals.  Look at opponents FG% (9th) and FG% differential (3rd).  Look at scoring differential (tied 4th).

I agree the Spurs defense isn't as solid as it was...although they have steadily moved up the rankings as the season has gone on.  And are currently 7th in defensive efficiency.

As far as weak teams scoring 100 points who cares if the Spurs score 115?  But then the reality is that in the first 33 games opponents have scored over 100 only 8 times (using your nba stat site).  Meanwhile the Lakers have let opponents score over 100 15 times in 35 games. 

Just keep hoping that the Spurs are washed up koast.  But as I basically said to Reality...scoreboard baby!
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 01:09:09 PM »

As far as weak teams scoring 100 points who cares if the Spurs score 115?  But then the reality is that in the first 33 games opponents have scored over 100 only 8 times (using your nba stat site).  Meanwhile the Lakers have let opponents score over 100 15 times in 35 games.  

Realitykur, we are not talking about the Lakers. Also, since when have the Lakers been known for their defense?  Not sure why it matters what the Lakers are doing in a thread talking about the Spurs. 

8 times teams have scored over 100 points but look at who they have played so far.  Not exactly high scoring teams with potent offensive players.  I already broke down that of the top teams in the league (offensively) they've only played most of them once and some not at all.  I really don't think it worth tooting the defensive horn over holding the Kings under 100.  I do think it is much more note worthy they let the Timberwolves score 99.

Just keep hoping that the Spurs are washed up koast.  But as I basically said to Reality...scoreboard baby!

Maybe you are confused here.  Let me clear it up.  This thread is about discussing the Spurs.  If I hated them, why would I make this thread to spark a discussion and ask for you guys to talk about it?  I am not wishing they are washed up.  In fact quite the opposite.  Why would I even pay attention to them if I hated em?  I don't suffer from Realityitis.  To me they are one of 3 contenders in the West so I pay attention to them for that reason.  Not because I am praying for their downfall.

Had I not started a debate on defense, it would have been a one page thread about nothing.  Instead a bunch of us are actively discussing them.  That should make you HAPPY not MAD  :D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »

Realitykur, we are not talking about the Lakers. Also, since when have the Lakers been known for their defense?  Not sure why it matters what the Lakers are doing in a thread talking about the Spurs. 

8 times teams have scored over 100 points but look at who they have played so far.  Not exactly high scoring teams with potent offensive players.  I already broke down that of the top teams in the league (offensively) they've only played most of them once and some not at all.  I really don't think it worth tooting the defensive horn over holding the Kings under 100.  I do think it is much more note worthy they let the Timberwolves score 99.

Maybe you are confused here.  Let me clear it up.  This thread is about discussing the Spurs.  If I hated them, why would I make this thread to spark a discussion and ask for you guys to talk about it?  I am not wishing they are washed up.  In fact quite the opposite.  Why would I even pay attention to them if I hated em?  I don't suffer from Realityitis.  To me they are one of 3 contenders in the West so I pay attention to them for that reason.  Not because I am praying for their downfall.

Had I not started a debate on defense, it would have been a one page thread about nothing.  Instead a bunch of us are actively discussing them.  That should make you HAPPY not MAD  :D

I'm not mad. 

And I was using the Lakers as an example.  Especially if you realize the Lakers are #2 in defensive efficiency.  And many pundits thought adding a premier perimeter defender increased their defensive ability.  So your "when were the Lakers known for defense" retort is very clever but nonsensical Realikoast. 

But then let's look at the entire NBA.  There is only 1 team besides the Spurs that has less than 10 games where the opponent scored over 100.  So is the number of times your opponent score 100+ a good analysis tool?  My guess is it isn't since all of the teams with better records than the Spurs have allowed more games over 100.  Would Boston's figures make you happy?  They have allowed 11 teams to score over 100 including powerhouses like Knicks, Sixers, Raptors, Wizards, Grizzlies.  Are they not "known for their defense"?  Do you realize that half of the league is averaging over 100 points a game?

Almost every metric shows that the Spurs are a much better defensive team (top 10) than you are giving them credit for...but you don't want to believe it.   Even when a nonSpurs fan (jem) chimes in.  In short I still believe that you are searching way too hard to justify your position that the Spurs have slipped.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:43:08 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

I'm not mad. 

And I was using the Lakers as an example.  Especially if you realize the Lakers are #2 in defensive efficiency.  And many pundits thought adding a premier perimeter defender increased their defensive ability.  So your "when were the Lakers known for defense" retort is very clever but nonsensical Realikoast. 

Lurker, just because the Lakers have had a good month and a half of defense does not mean they are known for their defense.  Boston and San Antonio are known for their defense because it's been solid for years.  I hardly think anyone would consider a 1 1/2 month stretch of good defense to all the sudden subplant the idea that the Lakers are an offensive juggernaut with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol with the idea they are in the same category as the Celtics or Spurs.  Not even the most delusional Laker fans think that.

Their defense has been lackluster since Christmas.  I hardly think a team known for their defense would have a 3 week lapse like this.  The Lakers have consistently given up a lot of points to teams like the Clippers and Kings.  They've only won games against Miami, Bucs, and Kings not because of defense but because of a last second shot by Kobe. 

Your retort to my retort (lol) is nonsensical.  This Laker team hasn't been known for its defense.  In fact it's never been known for it's defense, even in the Showtime era when it was pretty good, they've always been looked at as an offensive juggernaut.  It was Showtime Lakers because of the fast break on offense.  In the first part of the last decade it was Shaq's offensive post dominance and Kobe's offensive dominance on the perimeter.  Same applies now but change Shaq with Pau.  While they were a solid defensive team during the threepeat, no one considered them a 'defensive' minded team.  Correct me if I am wrong but no one is calling Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum the twin towers in the post because of how well they protect the paint.

But then let's look at the entire NBA.  There is only 1 team besides the Spurs that has less than 10 games where the opponent scored over 100.  So is the number of times your opponent score 100+ a good analysis tool?  My guess is it isn't since all of the teams with better records than the Spurs have allowed more games over 100.  Would Boston's figures make you happy?  They have allowed 11 teams to score over 100 including powerhouses like Knicks, Sixers, Raptors, Wizards, Grizzlies.  Are they not "known for their defense"?  Do you realize that half of the league is averaging over 100 points a game?

When your team has held most opponents over the last decade in the 80-85 range, yes I think if you are forming the argument the defense is slipping, then high lighting teams that do not have major offensive weapons is reasonable.  Having a team that has Lebron James on it going for 100 is not a big deal.  When a team who has one of their top offensive options being Al Jefferson (and no disrespect to him) score up towards that mark is a different story.

While the Spurs have had their share of injuries this year, so has Boston.  KG is currently playing with a real bad knee and Paul Pierce has been out for 3-4 weeks.  That might explain why they've slipped up a bit in the last month.  Their team defense has slipped.  No doubt about that.  Just because Boston's defense has been slipping doesn't make it okay for the Spurs to do the same.  Again, this thread is about the Spurs and not necessarily what the Lakers or Celtics are (or not) doing.

Most of the teams in this league have shifted towards a more offensive minded approach.  The league has made changes to rules and the way games are called to get the scoring up higher for the fans.  I know I don't even need to say this to you but did you forget this is the reason why the Spurs were one of the most dominate teams over the last decade?  While everyone else was gearing up to score points the Spurs slowly and methodically stuck to defense.  While the Phoenix Suns were watching the finals at home 10 years in a row the Spurs racked up 4 titles.  Seriously, saying the Spurs are on par with the rest of the league is pretty much saying they've slipped.

Almost every metric shows that the Spurs are a much better defensive team (top 10) than you are giving them credit for...but you don't want to believe it.   Even when a nonSpurs fan (jem) chimes in.  In short I still believe that you are searching way too hard to justify your position that the Spurs have slipped.

A team going from top 3 every year to slipping to top 10 and I'm trying too hard?  The numbers show they've slipped.

In short, I believe you are trying way too hard to make excuses for your team.  The Spurs have slipped, I think maybe you should just admit that.  If they didn't you could barrage me with stats that show they are playing the same level of defense they have in the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:10:44 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
Your retort to my retort (lol) is nonsensical.  This Laker team hasn't been known for its defense.  In fact it's never been known for it's defense, even in the Showtime era when it was pretty good, they've always been looked at as an offensive juggernaut.  It was Showtime Lakers because of the fast break on offense.  In the first part of the last decade it was Shaq's offensive post dominance and Kobe's offensive dominance on the perimeter.  Same applies now but change Shaq with Pau.  While they were a solid defensive team during the threepeat, no one considered them a 'defensive' minded team.  Correct me if I am wrong but no one is calling Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum the twin towers in the post because of how well they protect the paint.

Kid!  ::)

The "Showtime" era Lakers were known for their pressing defense, teams even complained that it was an illegal zone.  Obviously their D was no where close to being as famous as their fast break offense but hard core b-ball fans knew all about it, and the defensive minded Celtics and Pistons found out about it in the FInals.  They did not make their living on defense but they were known to always have a 10 point spurt when needed to get them back into a game or put one away.  One of the reasons they were able to do that was because of their pressing defense, they actually had the ability to put five 6' 9"+ guys on the floor who could press and force turn overs (bonus point if you could name that "pressing" roster).

The Shaq/Kobe threepeat teams were known for their defense.  There was constant debate about how good it really was, people would use the same metrics and stats that you guys are throwing around to prove or disprove how good their defense was or was not.  The first two title squads were top defensive teams and they clearly started slipping in the threepeat season and went totally off the cliff after that mostly because of Shaq's fattitude and inability to control the the paint and erase mistakes.

IMO, from watching the games, the Spurs have clearly slipped on defense.  Over the past 3 years they have been slipping but they are still tops in the league just not as dominant as the Spurs teams of the past.  IMO the Spurs lost that defensive dominance when DRob retired.  They have been trying to fill that gap with guys like Nazr, that white stiff center from Minny, and other stiffs but with minimal success.

I'd be hard pressed to name 5 better defensive teams than the Spurs right now so IMO they are still in the top 5.  Not base on stats or any other sortable metric, just based on watching them play.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »
The ghost of John Marzano LIVES

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »

Kid!  ::)

The "Showtime" era Lakers were known for their pressing defense, teams even complained that it was an illegal zone.  Obviously their D was no where close to being as famous as their fast break offense

Tthis was suppose to be a reply to my comment about them always being known for their offensive first?  No where did I say the Lakers sucked on defense.  My statement to Lurker was they've always been known for their offense moreso than their defense.  You just agreed with me but rolled your eyes at the same time? LMAO  What Laker team can you think of that  had their defense talked about more than their offense by the media and regular fans a like?

And WOW, people were and still are talking about Shaq's dominance in the post offensively and Kobe's 40 point games against the Spurs/Kings/Pacers in the playoffs.  While yes, die hard NBA fans talk defense, the Lakers in general were not known as a defensive team then.  If they were, they would have got that label (one I don't think the Spurs deserve) as being BORING.  The Spurs have had the 'boring' title attached to them because they are known for their defense which is not flashy or talked about by many.  If you were to walk around and ask random people about the Lakers I can guarantee  the first thing out of peoples mouths will not be about defense.

People tune into Laker games because there is  chance Kobe scores 50.  They don't tune in thinking they'll see Pau Gasol erase every shot and intimidate people from going into the middle.  I don't think going by what we talk about here applies to 95% of the people who watch basketball.  I don't know if I've ever had indepth discussions about defense with people who were not DIE HARD basketball fans.

Man can't a poster get some props for sparking up a discussion on defense and a small market team? Damn  :D  From game observations it seems like there rotations are not quite as crisp as they use to be.  Lurker sort of mentioned that it had to do with people not playing in the system long enough.  I can buy that if the defense continues to slowly improve.  We will see.  They run into a lot of offensive power house teams in the next month and a half.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:24:36 PM by westkoast »