Author Topic: Down 35........  (Read 5098 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Down 35........
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
......then you just go 58-19 over the final 20:50 of the game to win.

wow.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Down 35........
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »
I knew you'd be here to talk about this.  My boss at work is a huge Chicago Bulls fan so I had a lot of fun talking about it in the meeting this morning.

Who would have thought the Kings had that much firepower?  Did you hear Paul Westphal's response after the game?  He almost couldn't believe it himself.  Pretty funny sound bite they played on the local sports radio.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
So were the comments of Del Negro. He essentially through his players under the bus. Hard not to see his point of view, though.

Looks like rookie Tyreke Evans is the real deal. But then, so is Omri Casspi, even though he did not play that well yesterday.

And the game really took on a completely different aspect once the third rookie, Jon Brockman, was put in this game to stop the lane shots by the Bulls. Really not sure what to make of Brockman. He is not tall enough to play a true #4 and not offensively skilled enough to play the #3. But he literally can not be budged from the lane, and he is flat out dangerous for opponents. He hurts them. You would think his first choice would be football. From the way he plays basketball, you have to wonder why he is not in the NFL playing tight end and using his love of contact in a way that is more appropriate to the sport. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:08:13 PM »
Been wondering where our resident Kings fan has been.   I've seen some of the Kings/Wolves games which has left me a bit confused.  Which team is the real Kings? 

That Red Sea Pedestrian sure provides some offensive spark off the bench.  Did I hear correctly that he's still only 21?
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:11:34 PM »
The BUlls were in the penalty with like 7:35 left in the 4th according to what I read and only got 4 free throws the rest of the game.

I wonder if they want a real power forward like Elton Brand

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
Been wondering where our resident Kings fan has been.   I've seen some of the Kings/Wolves games which has left me a bit confused.  Which team is the real Kings? 

That Red Sea Pedestrian sure provides some offensive spark off the bench.  Did I hear correctly that he's still only 21?

Yes, Casspi is only 21 and has done his mandatory military service for Israel. He is really active around the basket and he has been starting a bit more then just coming off the bench lately. Very fiery player. Plays with a chip on his shoulder and hates to lose. You just have to wonder how good he will be once he controls his emotions better.

The Kings did all right during this off season, drafting Evans, Casspi and trading for the rights to Sergio Rodriguez and the draft rights to Jon Brockman. Rodriguez has actually turned out to be the biggest surprise. Since the Trailblazers could not use him there, he was not a known quantity when he arrived and at first Westphal left him on the bench. Turned out he was the best pure passing PG on the team and could shoot the ball a bit. Now Westphal has to use him. He also has found a use for Kenny Thomas, of all people. Here I was just waiting for his contract to expire and suddenly this coach starts playing him with good results.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:30:48 PM »
He also has found a use for Kenny Thomas, of all people.

He always had a use this season

Trade bait

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
Since we are talking about the Kings.....

I seriously can't help but assume their days in Sacramento are numbered for the following reasons:

- The new stadium I believe is still in limbo

- David Stern's soft stance on gambling and a possible hint towards being open to the idea of nationalized gambling on NBA games.  I think his change in stance would also signal a change in stance of having a team in Vegas.

- Vegas may be hurting right now but the city is still building itself up.  It seems like a basketball team would be perfect for the city and a good stream of revenue for everyone involved.

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
- Vegas may be hurting right now but the city is still building itself up.  It seems like a basketball team would be perfect for the city and a good stream of revenue for everyone involved.

I thought the demos, even growing, indicated the vegas wouldn't support a professional sports team, a lot of transient population...

I still think Anaheim is a strong ignored location for an NBA team but I don't know how NBA works in terms of owning markets

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:42:29 PM »
He also has found a use for Kenny Thomas, of all people.

He always had a use this season

Trade bait

That no doubt would be true, except his expiring contract could prove useful for Sacramento as well. Worth keeping an eye on this.

The team (I meant to say WILL) won't be very cap friendly next summer except for his contract, but Petrie tends to come up with solutions to these problems over time.
I see also that old contracts for Mikki Moore and Shareef Abdur-Rahim and a few pheripheral players expire this off season as well, leaving the Kings with about 18 million in cap space.

One guy the Kings may want to keep, however, is Ime Udoka. Never even heard of him prior to his being signed by the Kings in in November. Very good defender and can handle the ball.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:53:04 PM by JoMal »

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »
That no doubt would be true, except his expiring contract could prove useful for Sacramento as well. Worth keeping an eye on this.

In my daily perusing of the hoopshype rumors page they talked about how some teams might 'jump' the 2010 off season and look to add now using their expiring contracts...Chad Ford indicated that a lot of teams are eyeing a lowered cap/tax number and more fearful of that than improving their team and you might see some lopsided deals out there...the article about 'jupming' the 2010 off season specifically talked about the kings.

The shine on petrie has worn off a bit in the past few years, but if he can take advantage of 'cost cutting' franchises (if the maloofs are willing) - i bet they could make a really solid move this year...then again, people still think they should trade kevin martin.

Can't believe you hadn't heard of Udoka - i'm a big fan of him off the bench - i honestly thought he was out of the league this year though :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

I thought the demos, even growing, indicated the vegas wouldn't support a professional sports team, a lot of transient population...

I still think Anaheim is a strong ignored location for an NBA team but I don't know how NBA works in terms of owning markets

There is a massive population in Vegas and the surrounding areas like Henderson.  I would think having a lot of people in and out of the city would be an added bonus.  People like to attend shows out there.  I would assume they would like to attend basketball games as well.  Maybe I am wrong, I dunno.

As it is the Clippers and Lakers share the Orange County market.  Both teams have all their games played in the area since we share the same stations.  Ditto for the radio.  I really don't see what the problem would be moving them to Anaheim except that all 11 of their loyal Los Angeles based fans (WOW would be one of the 11) wouldn't make the drive to LA.  The thing is though there is plenty of money on Orange County and they wouldn't have the Lakers to compete with.  I don't think they would move the Kings to Anaheim because it would be 3 teams in the same market.  One of which isn't really liked in Southern California to begin with.  The Maloofs are in Orange County at times and they always put on a great extreme sports contest out here so who knows....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »
Since we are talking about the Kings.....

I seriously can't help but assume their days in Sacramento are numbered for the following reasons:

- The new stadium I believe is still in limbo

- David Stern's soft stance on gambling and a possible hint towards being open to the idea of nationalized gambling on NBA games.  I think his change in stance would also signal a change in stance of having a team in Vegas.

If the Kings can't get a stadium deal in the works in the next twelve months, you may be right.

The city is trying to work out of two options. One is the NBA sponsored arena deal that would redevelop Cal Expo and include an Entertainment Center as a showpiece at the Eastern end. Looks nice on paper, but the developer now says it can't be done in this economy. The other is Mayor Kevin Johnson's choice as part of the redevelopment of the Downtown Shopping Plaza, with an arena as the showpiece at the eastern end of that as well, in a somewhat currently blighted block of downtown. Why a third option of building a new stadium in the parking lot out at Arco Arena is not being discussed is a mystery to me. The land is there and would have to be cheaper then either option. I also still think the old railyard is a pretty much perfect location, but that just never goes anywhere when people talk about doing it there.

Attendance has not been good at Arco this year, due mostly to the economy, having a bad team for a while and not quite believing this year's team is going to be all that good (seems to be thawing on this thought lately), and my personal favorite - loss of hope that the Maloofs are sincere in keeping the team in Sacramento.    

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »
I would think having a lot of people in and out of the city would be an added bonus.  People like to attend shows out there.  I would assume they would like to attend basketball games as well.  Maybe I am wrong, I dunno.

I suppose if you don't have a major sports team in your area you'd see one in vegas, but to me the tourist trade has never been a factor in professional sports franchises in Vegas...it's not something you go to a city to do to me unless it's historic like fenway or wrigley or the garden before they tore it down.

I don't know the geography down there well but i was always under the impression that the 'drive' from Anaheim to staples is kind of prohibitive and there's also a pre built stadium waiting for a team in anaheim isn't there?

Jomal - I think the maloofs are sincere about keeping the team in Sacramento - but greenmail is the way it's done these days - if the state doesn't pony up funds - find a state that will - just ask seattle - i'm not saying i approve of it - but it's just the way things are done these days -

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »

Jomal - I think the maloofs are sincere about keeping the team in Sacramento - but greenmail is the way it's done these days - if the state doesn't pony up funds - find a state that will - just ask seattle - i'm not saying i approve of it - but it's just the way things are done these days -

This is the problem for California. Even before the economy soured, there is just no public funds being approved for stadium deals in this state, unlike elsewhere. The onus is on owners brokering deals from choice localities that do not sound like funneling money to build stadiums.