Author Topic: Marc Gasol all-star consideration?!  (Read 4360 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Marc Gasol all-star consideration?!
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »
Should Marc Gasol be a reserve in the NBA All-Star Game this year? John Hollinger was just talking about this in a chat not too long ago.

He is averaging a double double a game (15-10-2) and has some break out games over the last week.  If he continues on this pace, should he be considered for a all-star reserve spot?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Re: Marc Gasol all-star consideration?!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
Who are the other 'center' eligibles under consideration in the west this year?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »

Per the all star ballot:

Andris Biedrins Warriors
Andrew Bynum Lakers
Marcus Camby Clippers
Marc Gasol Grizzlies
Spencer Hawes Kings
Al Jefferson Wolves
Antonio McDyess Spurs
Nene Nuggets
Greg Oden Blazers
Emeka Okafor Hornets
Mehmet Okur Jazz
Amar'e Stoudemire Suns

So I would say his competition is Jefferson, Oden and Amare.  I think Bynum will get voted in as the starter.

But based on production the two big men starters should be chosen from Dirk, Pau and Timmy.  But by all star classifications they are all power forwards.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:35:06 AM »

Per the all star ballot:

Andris Biedrins Warriors
Andrew Bynum Lakers
Marcus Camby Clippers
Marc Gasol Grizzlies
Spencer Hawes Kings
Al Jefferson Wolves
Antonio McDyess Spurs
Nene Nuggets
Greg Oden Blazers
Emeka Okafor Hornets
Mehmet Okur Jazz
Amar'e Stoudemire Suns

So I would say his competition is Jefferson, Oden and Amare.  I think Bynum will get voted in as the starter.

But based on production the two big men starters should be chosen from Dirk, Pau and Timmy.  But by all star classifications they are all power forwards.

I believe that is why John Hollinger was speaking on it.  Due to classification of  positions for the all-star game he doesn't have much competition.  To his credit 15 and 10 is good numbers and I don't see why he couldn't raise them come mid/late-January when they will start doing reserve selections.

Only problem is Memphis STINKS.  Not entirely his fault and they definitely would be worse with out him but still they stink.  While at the same time his main competition is on a squad that is playing well (Amare).   I don't know if Bynum gets the nod to start just quite yet.  He is playing well but to get that starting spot he needs to continue to average 20-10 for the next 10-15 games don't you think?

I haven't seen him enough to really say if I think he's an all-star or not.  Part of the reason I brought it up is it seemed like it was pulled out of thin air.  Memphis is not exactly blazing up the standings.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:37:08 AM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
You don't need to average anything to get a starting spot, you just have to be popular and have people vote for you.  Starting an ASG in most leagues is about popularity over performance in most cases.

I don't see Gasol making it yet this year. 

If the suns continue to have a strong record Amare gets in, Oden might get in because of his improved play (plus the NBA wants him to be a star I'm sure, he was a #1 pick), I think from a crap team, unless he's categorized as a PF, that Kaman might deserve it over Gasol as well...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »
You don't need to average anything to get a starting spot, you just have to be popular and have people vote for you.  Starting an ASG in most leagues is about popularity over performance in most cases.

I don't see Gasol making it yet this year. 

If the suns continue to have a strong record Amare gets in, Oden might get in because of his improved play (plus the NBA wants him to be a star I'm sure, he was a #1 pick), I think from a crap team, unless he's categorized as a PF, that Kaman might deserve it over Gasol as well...

If you are not more popular than a player then you need to have steller numbers.  Andrew Bynum IMO is not more popular than Amare Stoudamire.  Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.  Amare has been to the all-star game a few times before and Bynum not once. 

For most positions, yes it is about popularity.  I don't think there are enough 'super star' centers to get the nod just based on popularity especially since the guy who normally gets the nod for that reason (Yao Ming) is not able to play.

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »
I'm not sure who is more popular right now, but from that list it's Stat or Bynum in my opinion, one will get the start and the other probably gets a reserve spot (deserved or not is a different argument)

I checked and the NBA hasn't started releasing the voting results (or not easily found) yet so there's no way to know

Reserves however can be chosen from all rosters right, so an omission (like Kaman at center) can be made up for?  And guys can be chosen for what ever 'spot' the coach thinks?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:33:52 AM »
The more I thought about it the more I think he won't make it.  Jemagee is right about coaches not being locked into positions, sort of.

After the starters are picked, coaches can vote for players that "they feel play a position".  They have to vote for 2 guards, 2 forwards, a center and 2 wildcards. So the backup center for the west will actually be a power forward IMO.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
The more I thought about it the more I think he won't make it.  Jemagee is right about coaches not being locked into positions, sort of.

After the starters are picked, coaches can vote for players that "they feel play a position".  They have to vote for 2 guards, 2 forwards, a center and 2 wildcards. So the backup center for the west will actually be a power forward IMO.

Yea after thinking about it as well, I would agree.

Unless of course Phil Jackson coaches the all-star game this year and picks Marc to try to make it seem like the Pau for Marc trade wasn't highway robbery lol

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »
I'm not sure who is more popular right now, but from that list it's Stat or Bynum in my opinion, one will get the start and the other probably gets a reserve spot (deserved or not is a different argument)

I checked and the NBA hasn't started releasing the voting results (or not easily found) yet so there's no way to know

Reserves however can be chosen from all rosters right, so an omission (like Kaman at center) can be made up for?  And guys can be chosen for what ever 'spot' the coach thinks?

Forgive me, but, who the hell is "Stat"?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »

Forgive me, but, who the hell is "Stat"?

Amare Stoudemire
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »

Well here we go again with jemagee and his wild generalizations.

I would like a list of all-star game starters over the last decade who were clearly undeserving, because there was someone else who was FAR more deserving, and who that far more deserving player was that was not a starter.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 01:35:54 AM »

Well here we go again with jemagee and his wild generalizations.

I would like a list of all-star game starters over the last decade who were clearly undeserving, because there was someone else who was FAR more deserving, and who that far more deserving player was that was not a starter.

I'll start......

Yao underserving and every non-Chineese center in the WC was FAR more deserving.  CAN YOU DIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
There was one year that Vince Carter or Iverson, I think Vince was voted a starter and had missed most of the half of the season...