Author Topic: Movies  (Read 8204 times)

jemagee

Re: Movies
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »
Plus, the decision to essentially just lay waste to the planet and all indigenous life just lost me completely. Why would that even be considered under ANY circumstances.

Greed of course, hence the subtle message Cameron was trying to tell all us A**H****

jemagee

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »

The Blind Side was off the story a bit, but overall I d no problems with it and thought Bullock was very good, but dressed inappropriately most of the time. Going to the "bad" end of town looking like a tawdry soccor mom would not clear the inner sensors on most people and Leigh Anne did not strike me as lacking inner sensor capabilities.
The climax conflict of Oher confronting Leigh Ann about her just using him for football purposes and the resulting *resolving* of the matter, which consisted of her finding him out front the 7/11 and saying "Well, we talked about it and think you should go to Tennessee".  All better now.  Sorry that just did not work for me.

But movies are indeed in the eye of the beholder.  Her not only dressed like Kelly Bundy but talking down head gang member (calling him a biatch and threatening to gat him), on his own front porch no less with other gang retards surrounding him -was so far beyond lame.  But Bullock was the producer so didn't miss a T&A chance nor the far fetched eggaggerations.   

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Marvel Mis-step - but still so much better than DC these days

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43595

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »
I saw Avatar last week.

Now, I know this is horrible, but I went into the film not realizing it was a 3D film.  (Okay, you can stop laughing.  No, really.  Stop laughing!  It's not like I follow this sort of stuff!)

And, of course, this is the only 3D film I've ever seen.

Had I realized it was a 3D thing, I'd have probably not gone.  And it would have been a major mistake.

While the movie was somewhat predictable, it *WAS* entertaining.  And while I'm not one who is impressed by special effects, I was impressed by the 3D.  I felt that it made the movie "larger," and therefore, better.  In fact, I think the movie would have been considerably less enjoyable if it WASN'T 3D.

All in all, the movie gets the typical, "It was okay," rating from me - meaning that I wouldn't object to seeing it again, but won't be gathering friends up because they absolutely *MUST* see it.

HOWEVER, the movie, along with a news story I read recently, may have had an unexpected impact:  I may put off for a while longer the purchase of an HD TV.  The story I read questioned whether 3D would be next, and which TVs might (or might not) support it.  To me, that sounds like a reasonably compelling argument not to spend money on a major purchase just for the opportunity to spend more on every DirecTV bill at this point.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
3D Tv's are coming - 3D networks are coming (ESPN will start broadcasting in 3D with the first game of the world cup) - check out articles about this years CES if you are interested...add about 200-300 dollars to a tv.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
I thought 3D tv was already here, or maybe I am just walleyed.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
"If you compare Avatar's conflict with Iraq conflict, only differences you might see is the aliens are blue and 10 feet tall and iraqis are brown and about 5,8. that's pretty much it."

:D :D
Yeah i liked the 1st 30 minutes, very creative set up.  Other then that tho, the Blue Tribe deciding to return evil for evil with the endless violence turned me off.
Would have rather their defense be something like have the Blues getting the animals to attack and fend off the Bushies.  Which they did, but i mean alone without the Blue People resorting to violence.

That it needs to be seen in 3D or better yet IMAX is like duh, W.O.W.  Kind of hard to believe you didn't forsee that.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »

I saw Avatar in a an IMAX Theater and it was amazing. It is all about the special effects and when you are watching and they go flying, it "feels" like you're flying with them.  It's an old story, but with a nice twist.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »

<laughing>

Have to say, I like this post.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
Just saw it last night.  And yeah, I've seen that story before.  But had Pocahontas been that entertaining the first time I would have paid attention in school.  Good stuff.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
Just saw it last night.  And yeah, I've seen that story before.  But had Pocahontas been that entertaining the first time I would have paid attention in school.  Good stuff.

I did not see Pocahontas but I have seen Dances with Wolves and obviously so did the writer of Avatar.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »
Princess and the Frog not good.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »

I did not see Pocahontas but I have seen Dances with Wolves and obviously so did the writer of Avatar.

If you think any stories are new, you just haven't been around long enough or paying the right attention.  There is very little in the way of true creativity any more.  The vast majority of films, and television series are retreads or simply variations on the same theme.  That's another reason why "reality shows and game shows and sporting events are so pervasive, you don't have to pay writers or actors. Most popular shows involve police or lawyers or FBI agents or something along those lines. A big reason besides those I've mentioned is that these shows are low-risk- a good story works over and over again with a few name changes and so on. Why work hard, when you can simply crank out a show and know that the audience will accept it?