Author Topic: Movies  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movies
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »
The Blind Side.   "Michael Oher, a homeless African-American youngster from a broken home, is taken in by the Touhys, a well-to-do white family who help him fulfill his potential. At the same time, Oher's presence in the Touhys' lives leads them to some insightful self-discoveries of their own. Living in his new environment, the teen faces a completely different set of challenges to overcome."
Too sappy, too predictable?

Planet 51.  Been a long time since I've seen a good animated.  Skipped Cloudy With a Chance of MeatBalls and AstroBoy.

Fantastic Mr. Fox  Got good reviews or is that just the Hollywood paid off crowd?

The Men Who Stare at Goats  Looks like a pretentious dud.

2012.  I'm not biting.

The Road  "Viggo Mortensen stars in a post-apocalyptic survival tale of a father and son who journey across America after a mysterious cataclysm."
Most of the new sci fi's seriously let me down.  I'm not risking this.

So are all of you just waiting for Avatar?

Offline cudall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:46:43 AM »
Don't know about The Road the movie, but there are few better books I've ever read. It will leave you thinking for days after you've finished it . . .

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Good friend of mine (and someone with solid movie taste) saw Mr Fox last night.  Said he really enjoyed it. 

Ninja Assassin is lame.  Stay far away.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »
Heard many good things about Fantastic Mr Fox
Every time I see the Avatar preview I think about Ferngully with better special effects.
Christmas day tradition of Chinese and a movie will probably be Sherlock Holmes instead of Dr Parnassus

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »
I am waiting for Avatar.  It's been in production for years, movie is supposed to 100% hd and 3d.  Looks like it should be pretty interesting.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »
I am waiting for Avatar.  It's been in production for years, movie is supposed to 100% hd and 3d.  Looks like it should be pretty interesting.

I first heard about the concept shortly after titanic came out, about 11 years ago i think, but no matter how pretty or cool the SFX are, if the plot and story suck, the moive probably sucks.

Story is often sacrificed in movie making whereas I think the story is the most important part of any film.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:43:53 AM »
Lets hear the Avatar review(s). 

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »
Been watching a lot of trailers recently, and 2010 seems like it's going to have more films worth seeing on the big screen than 2009 did.

Sherlock Holmes is the christmas day plan before Chinese Food

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »
The Blind Side with spoilers below.....

The Blind Side was just above average for me.
Did the Mom just take the kid in to help her h.s. team, get him to her beloved college alma matter Ole Miss and then plan on sharing the bank he made by making the NFL, not by taking part of his NFL signing bonos no but by their cut on this movie to follow?  Certainly portrayed as businessminded, pushy, and forward seeing enough to have schemed all of this.  She mentions NFL two days after the kid is in her mansion.  You'll see how pushy she is.  Definitely the "man" in the marriage also.

The movie brings up the thought that he was simply used by the Mom in the plotline, and the way the kid realizes he may have simply been used is when the NCAA investigator (a black chick), hits him over the head with it.  How it gets *resolved* is a joke to me, and a dealbreaker.

Sandra Bullock plays the mom and props to Sandra for any and all exercise, diet, trips to Dr. 90210 and makeup and camera angles, of which she is done up like a glam shot in EVERY scene in the movie.  I know Hollywood likes to slip in some t and a of good looking women, that's how a lot of movies roll.  I accept that.  That having been said, its ridiculous how many shots for Bullock they beef off.  She dresses either equal to or just a notch below Kelly Bundy 24/7 also.  I kid not.  Again, nice on the eyes but completely inappropriate for the theme IMO.  Also for the age of the kid (late teens).  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
"The Blind Side" book was very good. It also expands on the relationship between Sean and his wife, Leigh Ann that apparently does NOT translate into a film clearly made as a vehicle for Sandra Bullock.

Those who follow college hoops might remember who Sean Touhy was back in his playing days:

From his bio:

In college, Tuohy broke several school and league records. Tuohy led the Ole Miss Rebels to their first and only SEC Men's Basketball Tournament championship in 1981. As a player at Ole Miss, Tuohy was named All-SEC in each of his four seasons. He was named to the All-Century SEC team and is the only basketball player in the history of the SEC to lead a statistical category for four years, as he did with assists. Tuohy is only the fourth basketball player ever chosen to the Ole Miss Sports Hall of Fame.[3] Drafted by the NBA?s New Jersey Nets in 1982, he opted to continue his career overseas before returning to the U.S. to be with his father in his final days.

In addition, he is a self-made millionaire, owning about eighty or so fast food restaurants in the Memphis area, such as Taco Bell, KFC, and Long John Silvers. He also pilots his own (as in he owns it) plane. So the Touhy's were certainly not in it for any money Oher might earn. In the book Leigh Ann considered Michael a project that had to be resolved and came across as a force of nature who did not suffer fools who got in her way. However, the partnership between her and Sean was equal and Sean was clearly more influential in the sports world, especially once Michael went to Ole Miss. Oher attacked a teammate while there who had said very derogatory things about Oher?s relationship with his white family, in particular the daughter and Leigh Anne. It got ugly and a little boy got in the way, Thanks to Sean, it was resolved without Michael getting arrested and kicked off the team.

Oh, yeah, he currently does commentary for the Memphis Grizzlies on radio and television, both home and away games. All of this should be in the film, which I have not seen but plan to. It was Sean's influence that made Michael Oher choose to play at Ole Miss, though Sean absolutely despised the air his college coach breathed. It was actually the main reason Sean chose not to continue playing basketball in this country. He was fed up with the game. But because of his connection to Mississippi, he also knew he could not talk openly to Michael or anyone else about choosing his school, so he purposely stayed out of that.

The book, BTW, is fifty percent about the evolution of the left tackle position for pro football. Back in the early eighties and before, all offensive linemen were considered equal. Then, apparently, two things came about. Lawrence Taylor and how Bill Walsh learned to deal with the Lawrence Taylors coming into the League.  As a result, natural left tackles such as Michael Oher, were sought after and became superstars, with pay scales moved up  substantially higher accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:40:07 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »
I loved the book, I saw it on it's opening day on the new releases table and pulled it up - I thought Lewis wove two very interesting and disparate stories into one very interesting, educational and touching book all at the same time.

I'm also now a ravens fan just to watch their right tackle (that's where they put him) play

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
I loved the book, I saw it on it's opening day on the new releases table and pulled it up - I thought Lewis wove two very interesting and disparate stories into one very interesting, educational and touching book all at the same time.

I'm also now a ravens fan just to watch their right tackle (that's where they put him) play

This is how NFL teams incorporate their future left tackles into the pro game - by playing him on the right side at first. The 49'ers did this with Joe Staley before moving him over to the left, as have other teams.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »
Jomal,
"The Blind Side" book was very good. It also expands on the relationship between Sean and his wife, Leigh Ann that apparently does NOT translate into a film clearly made as a vehicle for Sandra Bullock.
Be prepared to be quite disappointed in how many mistranslations the movie makes.
Also, Oher commented on things he did not like about the movie.  What he said, and if he was just joking about minor things (my hair is not that long etc) i do not know.  Anyone please do post if you find them.
more responses and spoilers below

Those who follow college hoops might remember who Sean Touhy was back in his playing days:
Oh, yeah, he currently does commentary for the Memphis Grizzlies on radio and television, both home and away games. All of this should be in the film, which I have not seen but plan to.....though Sean absolutely despised the air his college coach breathed. It was actually the main reason Sean chose not to continue playing basketball in this country. He was fed up with the game. But because of his connection to Mississippi, he also knew he could not talk openly to Michael or anyone else about choosing his school, so he purposely stayed out of that.
Very interesting.  It is not in the movie.

In addition, he is a self-made millionaire, owning about eighty or so fast food restaurants in the Memphis area, such as Taco Bell, KFC, and Long John Silvers.

Is in the movie.

So the Touhy's were certainly not in it for any money Oher might earn.

westkoast*, notice i did not say the mom was in it for money Oher might earn (well maybe i did, i said "signing bonus") but money Mr. and Mrs. most likely did earn like from this movie.  You'll see how they portray the mom.  If it's a complete distortion that is sad, very sad.  I wondered as i watched the movie how many distortions where made.
;)

In the book Leigh Ann considered Michael a project that had to be resolved and came across as a force of nature who did not suffer fools who got in her way.

That is sort of portrayed, and it's very nice to see her keep him in the all white all redneck all rich all republican private school.  But also some super lame over the top things she does as a farce of nature that are pure Hollywood.  I won't post these, you can suffer thru them at the show.

However, the partnership between her and Sean was equal and Sean was clearly more influential in the sports world, especially once Michael went to Ole Miss.

Oh my, no she is the family head in the movie.  The husband is by no means portrayed as a complete noodle, only 99%.  And the two of them even kid and joke about her.  I'm in no means saying a husband has to be 100% macho control freak.  But you'll see.
She is the boss, absolutely regarding Oher and all things Oher related.

Oher attacked a teammate while there who had said very derogatory things about Oher?s relationship with his white family, in particular the daughter and Leigh Anne. It got ugly and a little boy got in the way, Thanks to Sean, it was resolved without Michael getting arrested and kicked off the team.
pssssh.  They show Oher attacking the head gang member, not a teamate, at a gang bang party in front of all the other gang bang losers.  10Xs lamer then that tho, is later the head gang banger and crew are approached by Bullock in their gang bang 'hood (Oher is not around) and he calls her a bitch.  It then shows her calling him a biatch, continuing  to dress him up and down verbally and then threatening to gat him with her gat.  All while she is dressed like Kelly Bundy.  Its beyond lame.

It was Sean's influence that made Michael Oher choose to play at Ole Miss,

Oh my another big "no", and its Mrs Bullock who manipulates to the 10th power to get him to Ole Miss.

We'll talk after you have seen it, because i have not posted the most crucial conflict part of the movie and how it gets *resolved*.  That was the true dealbreaker for me.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:56:22 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
Avatar: Ehhhh.....the story is very predictable, especially if you've ever seen "Dances with Wolves".  The story in DWW was told waaaay better, you could see how and why Costner's character evolved.  Avatar was the "Cliff's notes" version.  The SFX in Avatar was ok, I'm not sure what "ground breaking" SFX people are talking about, then again I did NOT see it in 3D so maybe that's why the SFX were not impressive at all to me.  IMO LOR, Star Wars, Terminator Salvation and Harry Potter SFX are just as good.  It was a fun movie to watch but you know what is comming from a mile away. B-

Princess and the Frog: Pretty good.  The movie had some laughs and moved along at a good pace.  I am not a fan of musicals so I was dreading this movie but it was not too bad and the songs were decent.  I really liked the villian in the movie, for some reason there is a very "current" and real world flavor to this guy. B

My kids preferred Avatar but it delivered no where near the hype.  I hope M. HYPE Shyamalan doesn't screw up the REAL Avatar movie next year.  Can't wait for that one!!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
So we saw The Blind Side, Avatar, The Box, and Surrogates over the holidays (none in the theatre, BTW), and it was very clear that Avatar would HAVE to be seen in a 3-D setting at the theatre to be fully appreciated. The story and dialogue were borderline lame. Plus, the decision to essentially just lay waste to the planet and all indigenous life just lost me completely. Why would that even be considered under ANY circumstances.

The Blind Side was off the story a bit, but overall I d no problems with it and thought Bullock was very good, but dressed inappropriately most of the time. Going to the "bad" end of town looking like a tawdry soccor mom would not clear the inner sensors on most people and Leigh Anne did not strike me as lacking inner sensor capabilities.

The Box was well done as movies go, but personnally - no way would I have pushed that button without knowing the full consequences while all these people just seemed to say to themselve "who could it hurt, except some stranger I don't know". Huh? Sorry, but my logic just does not flow downhill like that.

Surrogates was interesting to me because we were in Boston right after they had filmed there and we saw some of the places it took place. But the idea that people are that shallow - not a select few, but 90% of us - left me thinking that, once again, consequences would leap to the front of my mind instantly - not as an annoying "wonder if this is right" thought process. It would be the ONLY thought process to me, but then, again, maybe I just do not run around with real life stupid people surrounding me.