Author Topic: Tossing Andre Miller under the bus  (Read 5868 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tossing Andre Miller under the bus
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
This is not all that surprising to me.  I saw conflict coming, and it is McMillan's job to find a solution.  I didn't buy into the summer article on win shares, saying the Blazers have caught the Lakers because of their addition of Miller.  No addition or subtraction is just simple math.  Miller is a better player than Blake, but he needs the ball and so does Roy.  You have to find a solution that works for both, or it becomes subtraction by addition.  This problem can be solved, we will see if it does.

http://www.dwightjaynes.com/tossing-andre-miller-under-the-bus\

Tossing Andre Miller under the bus

Nate McMillan handed the keys to the bus back to Brandon Roy Saturday night, right about the same time both men threw Andre Miller under it.

Hey, I?m no big Miller fan. I don?t like being in a position to defend him, either. He hasn?t played all that well so far. But that doesn?t mean there isn?t something wrong with the way this is coming down. Even after Miller was signed as a free agent, McMillan was reluctant to declare him the starter.

Then, as training camp opened, the coach made it clear he would start the players who earned it. Who played the best. But when Blake didn?t play that well in the exhibition season, he earned the starting nod, anyway.

Yeah, the Blazers played a miserable game Friday at Golden State. Yes, even though they?ve been winning, it?s been obvious Roy hasn?t been pleased with what?s going on. And everyone knows Roy needed to ditch the silly three-guard thing, quit playing small forward and get back to his normal off-guard position.

But come on, let?s get real here. It?s not as if it?s a no-brainer that Miller was the root of all Portland problems. It?s not as if he failed as the team?s starting point guard ? he never got the chance to play it alongside Roy in the backcourt. There is no reason to suddenly blame everything on Miller, rather than Blake, the other starting point guard in this three-guard folly.

Why is Miller the problem, rather than Blake?s

Because Brandon Roy deemed it so. Roy this season is slightly down from his career numbers in field goal shooting, three-point shooting, rebounds, assists and steals ? and up in fouls and turnovers ? and he?s pinning it all on Miller. That?s obvious. From the very start, he hasn?t liked Miller taking the ball out of  his hands and everyone knew it.

Instead of taking control of the situation, McMillan tiptoed around it by using two point guards instead of one. It?s been all about placating Roy from the start. Why not spend 20 games with Roy being a more traditional off-guard? Learning to play off the ball, learning to move, set picks, get picks, get himself open ? without pounding the ball in a spread court. Why not post him up once in a while?

He?d have been a better player for it.

But Roy didn?t want to take himself out of a comfort zone, so Blake right now looks like the most secure player in the NBA. And this change is being made during a stretch of games against mostly powder puff opponents (other than Monday night?s home game against Chicago), guaranteeing a nice little winning streak for the Roy-blessed lineup.

?I want to give the team back to Brandon,? McMillan said before the game. ?It?s his team.?

That?s typical NBA coachspeak. It?s ?his? team. Well, OK. I suppose then, Coach, you?ll be moving on? Why not just make Roy player-coach?

?There?s only one ball,? McMillan said before the game, although he wasn?t talking specifically about Miller and Roy.

Yeah, sure he wan?t. But by the way, there?s supposed to be only one coach, too. Who is it, Roy or McMillan? Here is what Roy said:

?I feel like we tried it (the three-guard lineup), and you could say it worked at times, but me sacrificing hurt the team, so it should get back to me playing full-out and getting some other guys in other areas to sacrifice a little bit,? Roy said.

Again, Miller is taking the fall for the failure of a three-guard lineup that was doomed from the start because Roy is not a small forward. Why isn?t Blake taking blame? Roy talked about how his own ?sacrificing? was certainly a mistake. He said:

?. . . me sacrificing hurt the team?? and ?getting some other guys in other areas to sacrifice a little bit.? Wow. Does that stuff make Roy look as bad as I think it does?

And get this:

?This team is going to go off my pulse,? Roy said. ?Even if I?m smiling and trying to make it work, if I seem like I?m not totally comfortable, then Martell won?t be. And Rudy (Fernandez) will look like he?s in a funk. And L.A. (Aldridge) will look like he?s in a funk. They have been playing with me for a couple years and if I?m going well, they have more confidence.?

Whew! Those poor guys can?t get a thing done without Brandon Roy?s comfort level being perfect. He?s saying that if he?s pouting, nobody else can play well. Which, I guess, is probably true. And how about this stuff:

And, perhaps more important, the Blazers had what McMillan said would be their long-term starting lineup. His hope is that Miller embraces the opportunity to take over the second unit and flourishes with the control.

?I want both of them to have it. Brandon with that first group can handle a little bit more and Andre with that second group can be aggressive and make his reads,? McMillan said.

I?m sure a guy who has been a starter his entire career, who is considered one of the best point guards in the league, is really excited about taking ownership of the ?second unit.?

Look, my advice to Kevin Pritchard is to get Miller out of here as quickly as humanly possible. Get whatever you can for him. Chalk this one up to one big mistake and forget about trying to bring a real point guard to this team ? because it?s always going to be Roy.

This is no place for Andre Miller. McMillan wants to play Jerryd Bayless, too ? and there?s no doubt now that Roy is the real point guard. You could bring Chris Paul in here and he?s not going to want to give Paul the ball.

And I?d offer this piece of free advice to Nate McMillan: It may be ?Brandon Roy?s team? but if that team doesn?t win, Brandon Roy won?t get fired, you will. This is the same mistake that so many coaches make with superstars.

Yes, keep the guy happy. Yes, build the team around him. But that doesn?t mean he knows what?s best for the team and even himself at all times. You see this kind of stuff all the time in the NBA. Yes, it?s a players league. But guess what? Most of these players don?t have a chance to win until the right coach comes along.

And the great coaches know full well that all decisions aren?t easy. And they better remember that they?re hired to coach the players ? and not let the players coach them.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:13:27 AM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tossing Andre Miller under the bus
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
Notice: Pending further investigation, the committee announces its ongoing consideration of Brandon Roy as this year's addition to the KG Punk Bitch club.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:50:26 AM »
Ha.  Just give the ball to Oden and let it become HIS team.  That man's post game this year has been a joy to watch.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
I know I am not the only person who read that entire article and said 'WTF' at the end  :D

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
It's clear from the article that the coach and team weren't prepared for the arrival of Miller by management. This is a sign of a dysfunctional relationship. A GM shouldn't bring in a player without talking with the coach.

It's also clear that McMillan is in over his head, with no clear sense of what the ideal line-up for the team should be.  Anyone who thinks that a team is better off with Blake as a point vs. Miller is too stupid to be a successful head coach. And any head coach who is too much of a wuss to tell his players to shut up and play and allow him to do the coaching isn't a strong enough leader to be an NBA coach.

Roy is also scared because playing with Miller will take some of the focus off of him, which makes Roy a prima donna. Good luck with that, Blazer fans!  His quotes show what a high opinion he has of himself, but what he doesn't see is that Miller could get the other players going a lot better.

Miller really could help that team, if McMillan put him in as a starter.  If you want to get Oden to start -playing up to his potential you need to get him the ball, and Roy won't do that, but Miller will. Milller will also take and make his own shots and move the ball around to the people who can shoot. That's good for spot-up shooters more than slashers like Roy.

This isn't quite as bad as the Grizzlies with Iverson, but it's closer to that than it should be. Miller is a much better player than Blake and McMillan should either play him or look for a new job. Once you let the players take control over a team it will degenerate into me ball, very few see their success tied to the team when their stats suffer.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
Ha.  Just give the ball to Oden and let it become HIS team.  That man's post game this year has been a joy to watch.

Staying out of foul trouble would be helpful

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »
"I feel like we tried it (the three-guard lineup), and you could say it worked at times, but me sacrificing hurt the team, so it should get back to me playing full-out and getting some other guys in other areas to sacrifice a little bit," Roy said.

Hey Blazers fans....you're F'd...

...again.....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Hm....elton brand and thadeeus young for brandon roy?

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
I have to disagree with Rick on his interpretation, and also a bit with Ted.

First as far as Brandon Roy, I don't see a bunch of nefarious stuff going on from him, but he is clearly frustrated, and he certainly feels like he isn't performing as well as he should.  Was he throwing Andre' Miller under the bus?  Not nearly as much as McMillan.  He isn't handling this as well as he could, but he also is frustrated by what is going on.

I don't believe that the answer is just starting Miller.  I do believe that Miller should be playing more than Blake, say 30 minutes to 20 minutes +/-.  Blake starting though isn't a problem.  Having Blake play most if not all of his minutes with Roy makes sense.  Limit Roy and Miller's time together on the floor to say 12 and let both of them find ways to make it work.

Portland has only one good pick and roll option, Roy/Aldridge.  With Miller on the floor you have Miller/Oden, Miller/Aldridge, Miller/Przybilla.  Miller plays well with Fernandez because Miller can penetrate and then kick out to Rudy for a 3.  

Roy gets in the lane and then he kicks out.  Roy penetrating and kicking out to Miller is not a good option.  Miller is not a catch and shoot guy, he doesn't shoot deep, and defenders can close quickly because he isn't as deep.  Catch and shoot is not Andre' Millers game, but it is Blake and Webster's game.

To play Blake/Miller/Roy at the same time puts Roy at SF and makes him far less effective.  Those 3 have played 169 minutes together and they have a winning % of 58%.

Blake/Roy/Webster works very well.  They have played 68 minutes together on a total of 8 occasions, and they are 8-0 as a group.  This is 8-1/2 minutes per stint on average.

Miller and Fernandez have played 57 together and they are 9-11, which isn't great, but the 5 man units where these 2 have played together have averaged only 3 minute stints together.  Give them some consistent time together and they will get better.  They will not be great defensively, but you still have Przybilla, Oden and Aldridge to protect the paint so it will be OK.

As far as Nate and Pritchard not talking about the addition of Miller, that is a myth.  If anything McMillan pushed for Miller, but both were in the middle of it.  It didn't just happen while Nate was cruising the South Seas on Paul's yacht, with no phone access.  He was right in the middle of it.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 09:49:27 AM »
The hoopshype.com rumors page had this excerpt from the Oregonian this morning - let it be clear that I think that there's nothing wrong with what Roy does if it works for him...but if he's been doing it for 2 years, why write about it now?

It is not a political statement. It is not a protest. He said it is not intended as a slap on patriotism, or the ongoing war but Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy has long been absent from the Rose Garden Arena floor during the national anthem. For two seasons now, Roy leaves the court before "The Star Spangled Banner" is performed. He waits out of sight, in the arena tunnel, and has a quiet moment of prayer while his teammates stand and honor America together. Something about that feels troubling

This is excerpted from this article

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/11/canzano_the_moment_when_blazer.html

It seems that the true problem with the Blazers is that they aren't patriotic enough?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:50:59 AM by jemagee »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 09:57:35 AM »
"In 2005, the government launched the National Anthem Project after a Harris poll showed that many adults neither knew the lyrics nor the history of the anthem."

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
The hoopshype.com rumors page had this excerpt from the Oregonian this morning - let it be clear that I think that there's nothing wrong with what Roy does if it works for him...but if he's been doing it for 2 years, why write about it now?

It is not a political statement. It is not a protest. He said it is not intended as a slap on patriotism, or the ongoing war but Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy has long been absent from the Rose Garden Arena floor during the national anthem. For two seasons now, Roy leaves the court before "The Star Spangled Banner" is performed. He waits out of sight, in the arena tunnel, and has a quiet moment of prayer while his teammates stand and honor America together. Something about that feels troubling

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/11/canzano_the_moment_when_blazer.html

It seems that the true problem with the Blazers is that they aren't patriotic enough?

First of all Canzano is an idiot.  As far as Brandon, I say whatever.  If that is what he wants to do, then have it man.  If Aldridge wants to stand for the NA then go for it.  Act with respect and dignity, and do whatever floats your boat.

AA Mil

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
First of all Canzano is an idiot.  As far as Brandon, I say whatever.  If that is what he wants to do, then have it man.  If Aldridge wants to stand for the NA then go for it.  Act with respect and dignity, and do whatever floats your boat.

I have no idea who canzano is but I found the excerpts of this article idiotic - it's like the 'he doesn't look like he's trying' comments from fans but this is a man paid to write about sports, so I'd hope for a higher level of discourse, but guess not :)

Personally, as a sign of protest and non conformity as a kid I never stood for the pledge of allegiance, as was my right, i don't get when patriotism became defined as one thing and one thing only...it kind of bugs me.

But it's good to know that the real problem is that the blazers are unamerican :)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »

Yeah I don't really see the problem with him choosing to not take part in it if he has a reason.  I am sure he does if he makes it a point to leave every time.  Maybe he has a gay relative and doesn't feel some of those lines are true?  Maybe I am reaching here but it's possible.  Reciting a poem that lost its meaning to most people in elementary school when you were forced to say it every day doesn't make you more American than another  IMO.

Back to basketball though, Brandon Roy could probably score even more points if Andre Miller was the starting point guard.  If you look at it from a spacing stand point teams are not going to cheat off Andre Miller on a regular basis (if at all).  Roy would have more room to operate and end up with a number of easy buckets.  I am still confused on what the problem is.   Why does this seem like a no brainer?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:21:19 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »
"I feel like we tried it (the three-guard lineup), and you could say it worked at times, but me sacrificing hurt the team, so it should get back to me playing full-out and getting some other guys in other areas to sacrifice a little bit," Roy said.

Hey Blazers fans....you're F'd...

...again.....

That language is the key. Very troubling to me if I were a Blazers fan who didn't like the flavor of Brandon's nutsack.  ;)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton