Author Topic: Lebron James is changing his number  (Read 2892 times)

jemagee

Lebron James is changing his number
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
COnspiracy Theorists everywhere - unite.

Yesterday Lebron James announced he was changing his number next season to #6 but it was still to honor michael jordan.

His current number (as we probably know) is #23

#23 is retired on the Bulls (and the Hawks, Heat (in tribute to MJ which seems weird), Rockets, Celtics, Nets)

Just saying

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lebron James is changing his number
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
I had forgotten about the other teams that retired MJ's number ... interesting. 

While I think it might be a nice move to retire Jordan's number in the league, listening to LeBron spew about it last night was absurd.  MJ was the best, is the best, and since his time in the league has always been considered the best.  LeBron knew that years ago when he started in the league, but NOW, all of the sudden, "he's been thinking about it" and it finally occurred to him that no one else should wear the number.  I don't know, either he's planning on bolting like jem points out, or he's just a phony jerk off.  More likely both. 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »
I had forgotten about the other teams that retired MJ's number ... interesting. 

I may have typed it weird, according to wikipedia, only the heat did it to honor jordan - the other teams did it for specific players

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_retired_jersey_numbers#By_number

I understand everyone in MLB retiring Jackie Robinsons number, but aside from being one of the greatest players of all time, I'm not sure I understand retiring Jordans number for any team but the Bulls, I think it's kind of weird that the heat retired it actually.

I don't think you retire a guys number just because he was one of the best (if not best) ever on the court, you retire jackie robinsons number (or larry douby's) in MLB because what they did was greater and more important than just baseball, they had a relevant social and societal impact...but that's just how I see it.

It took me a couple minutes to actuall figure out how 6 might relate to michael jordan (the rings is what i thought) but then again it took me a while to figure out (at least to me) why kobe switched from 8 to 24

I mean, in the end, it's about jersey sales as far as i'm concerned...great player changes his number, all his fans need new jerseys.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »

I don't think you retire a guys number just because he was one of the best (if not best) ever on the court, you retire jackie robinsons number (or larry douby's) in MLB because what they did was greater and more important than just baseball, they had a relevant social and societal impact...but that's just how I see it.

Pretty much.

Who is Lebron's PR/Publicist?  It seems like he had this flawless image up until this year.  Now after a number of questionable decisions it seems as if he's trying too hard to get back to that flawless status by saying things like this.  Just doesn't make sense.  His image isn't in total disarray like Kobe's was (and is to a lot of people still).
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
If Lebrons doing it just to get his own number retired, shame on him. 
But if he is just copying Kobe and increasing jersey sales revenue, oh well old news with modern NBA for profit only babies.

Here is a list of number changers.  Maybe one of you geeks can clean up the alignment.
Not a bad team. ;)

Numbers   Player   Year of Last Number Change
32 - 34 - 32 - 33   Shaquille O'Neal   09-10
3 - 1 - 3   Allen Iverson   09-10
34 - 20   Ray Allen   07-08
5 - 1   Jordan Farmar   09-10
8 - 24   Kobe Bryant   06-07
1 - 3   Tracy Mcgrady   09-10
30 - 36 - 30   Rasheed Wallace   09-10
15 - 23 - 91 - 93 - 96 - 37   Ron Artest   09-10
23 - 9 - 45 - 23*   Michael Jordan   96-97
32 - 1   Amar'e Stoudemire   06-07
5 - 32 - 5 - 2   Jason Kidd   07-08
31 - 30 - 3   Sebastian Telfair   07-08
1 - 5   JR Smith   09-10
9 - 31 - 37 - 19 - 31*   Nick Van Exel   05-06
4 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 7 - 1   Chauncey Billups   09-10
21 - 5   Kevin Garnett   07-08
10 - 91 - 73 - 70*   Dennis Rodman   99-00
30 - 4 - 3 - 4   Ben Wallace   07-08

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 11:07:17 AM »
Well, if LeBron is changing his number in deference to Jordan's legacy, then he should have picked a number OTHER than 6.

Wjy?  Because 6 is BILL RUSSELL'S number.  If you want to talk about a number that should be retired league-wide, it's Russell's, not Jordan's.  Jordan made the NBA into a marketing machine, but RUSSELL is the historical marker of the game.

Russell won 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA championships, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, and is the only player in history to win all three within a year of each other.  He was the first African-American head coach (as a player/coach) in the NBA (come on, folks...you're cheering Jackie Robinson, so why not Bill Russell?  After all, he put African-Americans into MANAGEMENT rather than labor), and the first African-American head coach to win a title, and did it in BOSTON, in the '60's.  I am not sure, but I believe that makes him the first African-American head coach in *ANY* professional sport.  The NBA Finals MVP trophy is named after him.  And as a player, Russell's teams never missed the NBA playoffs.  (Forget about Jordan's Washington stint, did you?)

Screw honoring Jordan.  Honor Russell.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 11:20:01 AM »
Well, if LeBron is changing his number in deference to Jordan's legacy, then he should have picked a number OTHER than 6.

Wjy?  Because 6 is BILL RUSSELL'S number.  If you want to talk about a number that should be retired league-wide, it's Russell's, not Jordan's.  Jordan made the NBA into a marketing machine, but RUSSELL is the historical marker of the game.

Russell won 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA championships, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, and is the only player in history to win all three within a year of each other.  He was the first African-American head coach (as a player/coach) in the NBA (come on, folks...you're cheering Jackie Robinson, so why not Bill Russell?  After all, he put African-Americans into MANAGEMENT rather than labor), and the first African-American head coach to win a title, and did it in BOSTON, in the '60's.  I am not sure, but I believe that makes him the first African-American head coach in *ANY* professional sport.  The NBA Finals MVP trophy is named after him.  And as a player, Russell's teams never missed the NBA playoffs.  (Forget about Jordan's Washington stint, did you?)

WOW!  The younger kids would label this post 'Ether'  I agree.  Nice post.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »

^^^
Uhhhhmmmmmmm......what he said.........
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »

I thought it was spelled Ethier?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:57 PM »

I thought it was spelled Ethier?

Nah you are mistaking it for something else....

This is 'Ether'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOv37e1a7Q

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
No - just a lame joke attempt :)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »
Ya, what Joe said.
I was trying to think of who wore #6, good reminder.  Dr. J did also, altho Russell dwarfs Dr. J too.

Phil Jackson of all people likes Lebrons idea.  Jackson played against Bill Russell for two seasons, 67-68 and 68-69 (Both Celt RealChampionships  ;) ), yet Phillup only mentions the idea that it might dis Magic and Bird.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4653751

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »
And for the sake of correctness - there was an African-American manager for the Chicago Cubs who actually is the first African-American to be the on-court/on-field manager of a team.  Russell is merely the first in basketball, and the first to win a championship as a coach (player/coach).

Apparently there's no good karma out there for the Cubs at all.  That goat curse thing is for real!
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!