Author Topic: Do you think players should be fined for any criticism of refs?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you think players should be fined for any criticism of refs?
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
Question for everyone on the board:

Do you think players should be fined for their criticism of refs?

This question is coming on the heels of Dwight Howard making a comment about a bad call (IMO it was) on his own personal blog.  The league of course got wind of the blog entry and has fined Dwight 15,000 for it. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

Re: Do you think players should be fined for any criticism of refs?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »
I think publicly - yes they should be fined because it damages the credibility of the league (whatever league) and is often spoken in heated moments - I think all leagues SHOULD have a way to question the officials (of course when unions get involved who knows how it really works) if they feel that there is some sort of bias or problem with a given game or ref....I just think it makes leagues bad and has no positive help when guys go public

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
I think publicly - yes they should be fined because it damages the credibility of the league (whatever league) and is often spoken in heated moments - I think all leagues SHOULD have a way to question the officials (of course when unions get involved who knows how it really works) if they feel that there is some sort of bias or problem with a given game or ref....I just think it makes leagues bad and has no positive help when guys go public

In response to that, don't you think the league always fining players and coaches does damage to their image as well?  Like they can do no wrong and are above criticism from anyone in the league?

And most people feel like there is some bias already.  I don't think scouring the Internet for any blog post, twitter message, or interview to fine players is really going to reverse that.  Not after this ref fiasco.

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
In response to that, don't you think the league always fining players and coaches does damage to their image as well?  Like they can do no wrong and are above criticism from anyone in the league?

I don't think so because it's a policy, well established, that you don't comment on issues you have with officiating...if it were hit and miss then maybe image is damaged, but it's a consistent and well understood policy, any player who opens his mouth about officiating should know he's going to get fined and not be shocked when he does.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
players/coaches complaining damages the credibility of the player/coach.  I've never understood how someone complaining about an ump/ref damages the credibility of the league.  In fact, I think requiring a mandatory hush-hush damages the credibility.  Nobody, player or coach, is immune to criticism.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
Should be absolutely wide open.  Any player can meet with any media person and go over the camera angles of any play at any time.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »
players/coaches complaining damages the credibility of the player/coach.  I've never understood how someone complaining about an ump/ref damages the credibility of the league.  In fact, I think requiring a mandatory hush-hush damages the credibility.  Nobody, player or coach, is immune to criticism.

That is how I felt.  Constantly complaining of refs makes the player or coach look bad in the long run.   Dwight Howard saying he thought it was a bad call on his blog doesn't seem worth of such a huge fine.

To me the NBA over the last few years seem to have been saying "We don't want you to have emotions on the court, just play basketball" and "You are not allowed to voice your opinion on a game unless its all 100% positive"

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
To me the NBA over the last few years seem to have been saying "We don't want you to have emotions on the court, just play basketball" and "You are not allowed to voice your opinion on a game unless its all 100% positive"

Well the 'gold standard' in professional sports is the NFL supposedly - and that's kind of how they handle it isn't it?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:53:40 PM »

Well the 'gold standard' in professional sports is the NFL supposedly - and that's kind of how they handle it isn't it?

Last time I checked NFL players don't get 'technical foul flags' thrown for showing emotion and supposedly 'upstaging the ref'

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
Last time I checked NFL players don't get 'technical foul flags' thrown for showing emotion and supposedly 'upstaging the ref'

Celebration penalties, numerous fines to chad ochocinqo for his displays on the sideline (waiting for the fine for him trying to bribe the ref) and yeah, if you criticize the refs publicly I think they're going to fine you.

There's a reason it's called the no fun league

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »

Celebration penalties, numerous fines to chad ochocinqo for his displays on the sideline (waiting for the fine for him trying to bribe the ref) and yeah, if you criticize the refs publicly I think they're going to fine you.

There's a reason it's called the no fun league

Celebration penalties is kind of lame I agree but it is a lot worse to get nailed with a 5,000 fine for yelling after a foul.  I've seen Sheed get it for being mad at HIMSELF!  :D

The NFL doesn't fine players nearly as much as the NBA does.

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »
The NFL doesn't fine players nearly as much as the NBA does.

And i think that's more of a factor of the organization and players knowing they're going to get fined, i think there's a very well spelled out policy in the NFL and most players adhere to it and have seen what happens to others who don't but you still get the random guy who says something done or does the riverdance or guys who get in a fight during a game.