Author Topic: California Politicos  (Read 2168 times)

jemagee

California Politicos
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:11:41 PM »
Can someone who understands politics and california better than me explain how the governor authorized a 75,000 'bridge to nowhere' stadium to try and lure an NFL team to the Los ANgeles area when the state is still in the budget mess it's in?

Admittedly I don't pay close attention, but if they're using state money to build this stadium that has no tenant it strikes me as irresponsible?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: California Politicos
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »
Gov't wasting money?  :o  Oh noes.

I would think behind the scenes deals have already been cut.
Raiders to LA would be one.
I don't think the Chargers greedy owners would move to L.A., but these are owners who had one of if not the best rosters in a 5 year run and hired Norv Turner to coach them.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
Can someone who understands politics and california better than me explain how the governor authorized a 75,000 'bridge to nowhere' stadium to try and lure an NFL team to the Los ANgeles area when the state is still in the budget mess it's in?

Admittedly I don't pay close attention, but if they're using state money to build this stadium that has no tenant it strikes me as irresponsible?

There is a land developer who wants to develop the land and build the stadium.  I am sure the state and the county is desperate to do anything that could bring jobs into the area.  There will be a lot of work generated from this project both in the construction/building phase and to maintain the facilities.  The location of the stadium is more inland too which means people in the IE could commute.  That area is hit very hard by unemployment.

The reason people are upset who live in the area is that they wanted an environmental study done on how the stadium would impact traffic, pollution, re-shape certain neighborhoods, etc.  The Governator did some politickin' on behalf of the development company to put them in the position to side step that environmental study.  So the people in the area are pissed at the development company in the first place and double pissed at Arnold for helping them out.  The project looked like it was going to die just 6 months.

The Raiders to LA would make the most sense.  That fan base is already here and it's sure to fill that stadium up even though they stink.  We have Raiders/Coors billboards up in LA now even before the stadium was approved (not saying its a back office deal).  They are that popular.   
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
The Raiders to LA would make the most sense.  That fan base is already here and it's sure to fill that stadium up even though they stink.  We have Raiders/Coors billboards up in LA now even before the stadium was approved (not saying its a back office deal).  They are that popular.   

There's lots of rumors that the Spanos family would love to move the chargers, and I know it's creating jobs, but if the state is spending money for the california equivalent of what could be the 'bridge to nowhere', the created jobs should off set the money spent right?

By the way, thanks for answering, it just seemed odd in this economy to be constructing a stadium that might have no team to play in it...makes a little more sense now, but i'm still pissed at the democrats for supporting gray in the recall

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »

There's lots of rumors that the Spanos family would love to move the chargers, and I know it's creating jobs, but if the state is spending money for the california equivalent of what could be the 'bridge to nowhere', the created jobs should off set the money spent right?

By the way, thanks for answering, it just seemed odd in this economy to be constructing a stadium that might have no team to play in it...makes a little more sense now, but i'm still pissed at the democrats for supporting gray in the recall

I am not quite sure what you mean by 'bridge to nowhere stadium'  Is that your way of saying its 'government pork spending' ?  A stadium that could house a football team and large concerts would generate jobs for a long period of time.  Both on the construction side and afterwards.   The bridge to nowhere generated construction jobs but it just went to some small town.  It didn't bring entertainment and decades of jobs to the area.  Once the bridge was built, it was built.  Once this stadium is built it is going to need security, maintenance, people to operate concession stands and merchandise booths, etc.  Whether it would actually make up or exceed what the government would contribute money wise, I have no clue.  I wasn't under the impression the government was forking over a heafty sum of money.  I thought the deal was approved for them to get started not for the government to hand over boat loads of cash.

If they really wanted to create NEW job in the STATE (not just in LA County) then they would try to attract a team from another state.  Moving the Raiders or the Chargers would just transfer the jobs from one region to the other with a small boost because this stadium would be bigger than either (I believe, someone can correct me if I am wrong) 

I've been in West Arizona with no or very spotty internet access for work that is why I did not respond earlier.  I partially followed this and was very surprised to hear it was going forward.  Thought for certain it was going to get killed once the environmental impact study went through.  A team will come to LA though.  It is a big market and while no one really wants to admit it, they would rather have some football to go see than no football.  Most people don't enjoy having to drive to San Diego just to catch a game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:04:19 PM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »
I wasn't under the impression the government was forking over a heafty sum of money.

That was my primary question - including any 'tax incentives' or such things in the future given to the construction company. 

Does the LA area really NEED another stadium if they weren't trying to lure and NFL team - how many 'extra' concerts will go to this stadium that wouldn't just play at the rose bowl?  I don't know the exact geography of the area, but I can't think the concert draw is going to be that large unless it's 100+ miles from the rose bowl (and I know folk who drove down from santa barbarea to go see U2, so maybe you need more than 100+ miles?)

If they really wanted to create NEW job in the STATE (not just in LA County) then they would try to attract a team from another state.

The Colts have often been rumored as a possibility to move to California.

While LA may want football, there are those who know about things better than I do who have said in the past that maybe the NFL doesn't mind no team in LA because then they can control the games shown in the LA market a lot better and make the tv contract slightly more appealing since you never really 'black out' the LA market?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »

That was my primary question - including any 'tax incentives' or such things in the future given to the construction company. 

I am sure there will be tax incentives.  The deal as it stands is for the team owner who wants to come to LA to pony up the money.  That's not saying the state or local government wouldn't have to pitch in money.  I would assume an owner would offer to spend x amount of dollars if the other part was financed.   That said owner would have a good case on his hands as the figures for it the jobs it would create is past 10k (last I heard)

Does the LA area really NEED another stadium if they weren't trying to lure and NFL team - how many 'extra' concerts will go to this stadium that wouldn't just play at the rose bowl?  I don't know the exact geography of the area, but I can't think the concert draw is going to be that large unless it's 100+ miles from the rose bowl (and I know folk who drove down from santa barbarea to go see U2, so maybe you need more than 100+ miles?)

The stadium won't be built unless a team agrees to come.  Arnold just signed a bill that would make the development exempt from the states environmental laws which side steps the call for an environmental study before a decision is made.  It went from *IF* it did not have a big negative impact to *WHEN* can we get a team here?

I have no clue about the concerts.  I was just throwing out ideas of other things it could be used for.  The Rose Bowl isn't exactly a 'nice' facility.  People drove that far because it was U2.  People may want to see another huge act in nicer seats.  What about the 2020 summer olympics? lol

The Colts have often been rumored as a possibility to move to California.

While LA may want football, there are those who know about things better than I do who have said in the past that maybe the NFL doesn't mind no team in LA because then they can control the games shown in the LA market a lot better and make the tv contract slightly more appealing since you never really 'black out' the LA market?

I also heard the Minnesota Vikings.  Though I just wonder if those team names are thrown out there to try to drive up interest by more viable options like the Chargers.

Raiders games are blacked out (lol) but I get what you are saying.  That is a possibility.  I certainly wouldn't put it past the league.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:37:58 PM by westkoast »

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
The stadium won't be built unless a team agrees to come.

That I din't know - and that's kind of interesting - cause then you got a city with a lame duck team for, what - 2 years?  That's not good for the NFL

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
The Rose Bowl isn't exactly a 'nice' facility

But it's easier to get to than any IE stadium isn't it? - plus A LOT more locals

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »
The Rose Bowl isn't exactly a 'nice' facility

But it's easier to get to than any IE stadium isn't it? - plus A LOT more locals

There is no IE stadium.  This would technically be A LITTLE closer to that area but it's still in LA county.  There was  just a 14,000 seat arena put up out there and they have a large out door venue (Glen Helen Pavillion) out there but nothing that compares to the proposed size of this. 

(sorry for the repeat edits, I was misspelling all over the place)

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
Has any league ever agreed to move a team before ground broke on a stadium?

And who knows - maybe Arnold knows this - he makes the business people happy but the stadium doesn't get build so the people against it are happy too - not Arnolds fault the NFL wouldn't agree?

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
KC Joyner who is the ESPN 'football scientist' believes that the leading candidate to move to an LA Market would be the jaguars unless somehow tim tebow becomes the savior of the organization (he believes Tebow IS an NFL starting quarterback)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »
KC Joyner who is the ESPN 'football scientist' believes that the leading candidate to move to an LA Market would be the jaguars unless somehow tim tebow becomes the savior of the organization (he believes Tebow IS an NFL starting quarterback)

That makes the most sense for everyone involved.  Jags get to go to a bigger market and California actually ADDS job instead of moving them from another region of the state.

Even if he was the savior of the organization why wouldn't they move?

jemagee

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
Even if he was the savior of the organization why wouldn't they move?

The belief was that 'tebow love' would make the jags attendance numbers go up substantially...that was the belief...tebow doesn't exactly have attendance pull in CA that he might in Florida, but again, he thinks of Tebow as a first round QB

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »
California Politics - Like American Idol - but with less informed voters?

http://holykaw.alltop.com/divorce-ban-coming-to-california