Author Topic: OT- Here's a good way to solve the energy crisis.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- Here's a good way to solve the energy crisis.
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
Whenever I read something like this I think d'oh! Why aren't we doing more.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/10/13/geothermal.resort/index.html

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT- Here's a good way to solve the energy crisis.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »
We have so many options to generate electricity.  That is def another way and very interesting.  Yet for some reason we are dragging our feet when it comes to this.....couldn't imagine why......
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
We have so many options to generate electricity.  That is def another way and very interesting.  Yet for some reason we are dragging our feet when it comes to this.....couldn't imagine why......

My guess is the oil industry and the coal industry.  We need stronger lobbying from refrigerator manufacturers, and better politicians.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »

My guess is the oil industry and the coal industry.  We need stronger lobbying from refrigerator manufacturers, and better politicians.

Or just the general idea among Americans that something that costs a little more up front is better in the long run.

I still think solar is a good way to go as well.  Out here in CA they are providing a lot of incentive for homeowners to switch to it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:52 PM »
Remove evil humans from power and allow God fearing humans to administer an energy solution.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:32:34 PM »
Take the decision away from moneyed interests and put it into the hands of scientists and Univerities. Make it a contest: Which energy solution is the most cost-effective, scaleable to meet our energy needs and has the smallest environmental footprint?

Most solutions aren't don't produce enough energy to replace our use of coal and oil.

Solar and wind and even wave action seem non-polluting enough, but they are expensive and require a huge energy expenditure up front for installation. All current installations in existence make a very small contribution to our energy needs.

Make no mistake about this: human beings are going to run out of oil and coal eventually, and we need oil for fertilizers and plastics as well as to power machines and vehicles.  When this happens there will be a massive die-off as we won't be able to feed ourselves or live as we do now. There isn't enough land to sustain us all as hunter-gatherers.

Time is running out as nearly everything we do depends on oil or coal.

I wonder if siphoning heat off of Yellowstone would keep the Supervolcano from going off.....

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »
Personally, if solar power ever becomes efficient, I think that's the way to go.  And I'd like to go solar for my house.  The problem is that it's *SO* expensive to do, and won't pay for itself at any time in the near future.  Worse than that, for me, it will not eliminate my electrical bills - just reduce them.

I'd *LOVE* to do solar - but there's a practical side that has to be met before it can be done for the average person out there.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!