Author Topic: Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
Is this song bringing attention to suicide as a tragedy or is it coldly just acknowledging it Beaviss n Butthead style like "huh huy, like way to off yourself man huh huh"?  Anyone ever hear interviews with Filter to get the 1st hand answer?

I like the music, for heavy it's got a good underlying rhythmn.  I know its ancient 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmQaQd03Ig&feature=related
I wish I wouldve met you
Now its a little late
What you couldve taught me
I couldve saved some face
They think that your early ending
Was all wrong
For the most part theyre right
But look how they all got strong
Thats why I say hey man nice shot
What a good shot man
A man
Has gun
Hey man
Have fun
Nice shot
Now that the smokes gone
And the air is all clear
Those who were right there
Got a new kind of fear
Youd fight and you were right
But they were just to strong
Theyd stick it in your face
And let you smell what they consider wrong
Thats why I say hey man nice, nice shot
What a good shot man
A man
Has gun
Hey man
Have fun
Nice shot
I wish I wouldve met you
I wish I wouldve met you
Id say
Nice shot

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
msc, jn?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
The song became notorious, as it was believed to be honoring the January 22, 1987, public suicide of Pennsylvania state treasurer Budd Dwyer, who shot himself during a press conference with a .357 magnum. A May 1996 interview with Filter in Addicted to Noise magazine and an official statement by the band confirmed this. Filter later gave the following statement:

The song 'Hey Man Nice Shot' is a reaction to a well-documented public suicide. It is not a celebration or glorification of taking one's own life. The phrase 'hey man, nice shot' is a reference to the final act itself, an expression of guts and determination of a person standing up for what they believe is right. We are extremely sensitive and respectful to the family and friends of Mr. Dwyer. We have both lost friends to suicide and felt nothing but sympathy and loss for the victims, and those involved in such a tragedy.

The guitar line in the song's chorus was previously used in Stabbing Westward's song "Ungod," from the album of the same name. The line was written by Stuart Zechman, who played guitar for both Filter and Stabbing Westward. - Wikipedia

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
Pity post
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »
OK Simpleton here it goes....

First, you linked to a bunch of stories about BASKETBALL that I put up.  This is a basketball forum.  That was basketball news or video interviews.  This is not a music forum.  While we get off topic on other subjects, maybe just maybe, no one cares about Filter.  People however do care about basketball news and videos.

Second, the reason I said 'pity post' is you kept upping the thread looking for a response.  You did it THREE times before I made my post.   You were begging for someone to respond to you.   All those news stories/videos you linked to that I put up, which weren't even to start debates as much as they were passing on information, did not have me in there replying to myself hoping and praying someone would respond to me.  That is what you are doing here.  That is why I made a 'pity' post for you.

Please continue to post up links to basketball stories I put up and discontinue trying to talk about Filter.  Once again, it's clear no one cares to discuss them with you. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:56:42 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

First, you linked to a bunch of stories about BASKETBALL that I put up.  This is a basketball forum.  That was basketball news or video interviews.  This is not a music forum.  While we get off topic on other subjects, maybe just maybe, no one cares about Filter.  People however do care about basketball news and videos.

Second, the reason I said 'pity post' is you kept upping the thread looking for a response.  You did it THREE times before I made my post.   You were begging for someone to respond to you.   All those news stories/videos you linked to that I put up, which weren't even to start debates as much as they were passing on information, did not have me in there replying to myself hoping and praying someone would respond to me.  That is what you are doing here.  That is why I made a 'pity' post for you.

Please continue to post up links to basketball stories I put up and discontinue trying to talk about Filter.  Once again, it's clear no one cares to discuss them with you. 

Do I have to put you on ignore to avoid Mr. Moron?  I figured this was a Filter dicussion, been a fan of them for a while.  Love the dark and angry feel of the song in the title of this thread.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 12:55:18 PM »

W.O.W. cares about Filter.

What about all your basketball posts that have zero responses?

Second, the reason I said 'pity post' is you kept upping the thread looking for a response.  You did it THREE times before I made my post.   You were begging for someone to respond to you.   All those news stories/videos you linked to that I put up, which weren't even to start debates as much as they were passing on information, did not have me in there replying to myself hoping and praying someone would respond to me.  That is what you are doing here.  That is why I made a 'pity' post for you.
Do you think its really about control issues you have that you kind of stalk me and try in vain to infringe upon my freedom of posting speech?  Were you abusively controlled when younger?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »

Do I have to put you on ignore to avoid Mr. Moron?  I figured this was a Filter dicussion, been a fan of them for a while.  Love the dark and angry feel of the song in the title of this thread.

I never quoted him in this thread when you made this comment so I don't see what your talking about.  If you did not want anyone to ever address Reality, you would have to put everyone on ignore.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:03:55 PM by westkoast »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »

Yes but due to your personality he wouldn't want to discuss them with you.  He wants to ignore me JUST so he doesn't have to see your posts when I quote them.

See what you fail to realize is even if someone did care about Filter, like WOW, your attitude around here keeps people from wanting to talk about it.  That of course never crossed your mind as to why maybe msc wouldn't want to respond to your thread about Filter.  JN has seen the thread and has yet to respond.

There is information about BASKETBALL inside of those threads.  Again, this is a basketball forum.  I also did not keep upping those threads to talk to myself in them.  Please put your thinking cap on before making response posts Reality.

Do you think its really about control issues you have that you kind of stalk me and try in vain to infringe upon my freedom of posting speech?  Were you abusively controlled when younger?

Stalk you?  Simple Jack, this is a basketball forum that doesn't have an insane amount of threads in it.  You don't have to 'seek' anything out.  Especially when you notice a thread that continues to be pushed to the top but when you go in it, no one is responding to the thread topic even a week later.  What I do find funny is you have no problem typing 'westkoast' into the search bar at the top ( which is a heck of a lot more like stalking than me simply responding to the top thread).  YET you won't just search Google to find the answer out for yourself about Filter.  You are dying for msc to tell you his take on it and you are asking for a link to an interview where they discuss it.  Couldn't you have found it on your own by now?

Has nothing to do with control.  Really it was a very sarcastic way to point out the fact that you need to GIVE UP.  No one has responded to this.  Quit pushing down basketball discussions with an OFF TOPIC thread no one cares about.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:06:32 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »

Yes but due to your personality he wouldn't want to discuss them with you.  He wants to ignore me JUST so he doesn't have to see your posts when I quote them.

See what you fail to realize is even if someone did care about Filter, like WOW, your attitude around here keeps people from wanting to talk about it.  That of course never crossed your mind as to why maybe msc wouldn't want to respond to your thread about Filter.  JN has seen the thread and has yet to respond.

There is information about BASKETBALL inside of those threads.  Again, this is a basketball forum.  I also did not keep upping those threads to talk to myself in them.  Please put your thinking cap on before making response posts Reality.

Stalk you?  Simple Jack, this is a basketball forum that doesn't have an insane amount of threads in it.  You don't have to 'seek' anything out.  Especially when you notice a thread that continues to be pushed to the top but when you go in it, no one is responding to the thread topic even a week later.  What I do find funny is you have no problem typing 'westkoast' into the search bar at the top ( which is a heck of a lot more like stalking than me simply responding to the top thread).  YET you won't just search Google to find the answer out for yourself about Filter.  You are dying for msc to tell you his take on it and you are asking for a link to an interview where they discuss it.  Couldn't you have found it on your own by now?

Has nothing to do with control.  Really it was a very sarcastic way to point out the fact that you need to GIVE UP.  No one has responded to this.  Quit pushing down basketball discussions with an OFF TOPIC thread no one cares about.

There you go quoting......where is that ignore button again?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »
msc, jn?

I did/do like that song.  Never really got in to Filter a whole heck of a lot, but that song has a great driving bass and guitar line.  I remember figuring out how to play it on my guitar back when it came out. 

I also remember the controversy surrounding the song.  When you posted the Wiki link in this thread it educated me because I had always heard the story that it was a news anchor in Minnesota, or North Dakota, who committed suicide on the air.  So the story I recall wasn't accurate, but similar in that it was a public suicide in some kind of protest. 

The band took a lot of heat at the time the song came out.  IMO, they have the right as artists to express their take or viewpoint.  They're protected under the first amendment.  It can be argued that it was done in poor taste, but as I recall at the time they were kind of trying to give the guy kudos for standing up for what he believed in.  Because it was a suicide, we're obviously dealing with an extremely sensitive topic and they were treading in grey area between good and poor taste.  I certainly feel for the family members and all of that, but the song itself is written in an artistic, poetic manner.  In other words, I don't consider it anything similar to Beevis and Butthead saying, "huh, huh, way to blow your head off, dude".