Author Topic: OT: Windows 7  (Read 1924 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: Windows 7
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
Anyone interested about Windows 7 or maybe have already used the beta?  Microsoft of course has been and is going to continue to make a big push for this operating system.  Also will be the OS that hardware manufactures will be shipping with their desktop and laptops for the Holiday season rush.

Microsoft mailed the discs to the office last week.  I installed Windows 7 Ultimate in a virtual machine to test out some software first.  Since there is no 'upgrade' to Windows 7 from a previous version I could do on a spare laptop nor do I ever install an OS with out formatting that was my only option.   Few of my thoughts quick:

- This is pretty much Vista with better marketing and a sharper graphical interface.  I did not get to fully see all the flashy of the interface since it was in a virtual machine but in what little I got it looked better than Vista.

- The tool bar has changed slightly and it reminds me of what was being done in the xwindows environment for Linux for years.

- DVD burning tool that comes delivered is nice.  I am sure you will be able to download this for Vista if you cannot already.

- The default programs/extension association and protocol settings are very easy to get to.  Pretty easy to configure for people who have an idea why you would want to associate ftp:// with an ftp program, etc.

- It will run nice on newer machines but if you have an older machine still on XP and you want to upgrade to Windows 7, I wouldn't.

As I get to play with it more I'll add more thoughts.  I am going to go to it since I did not make the jump to Vista and will be building a new system soon.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »
Please keep me posted on what you find out. Also concerned about your comments re an Xp machine. Are the hardware requirements that different? Does it make better use of 64 bit architecture, or is it simply more of a processor and memory hog?

I have a spare PC that I could install it on, but I'd like to hear more from others before I make the effort.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »
Please keep me posted on what you find out. Also concerned about your comments re an Xp machine. Are the hardware requirements that different? Does it make better use of 64 bit architecture, or is it simply more of a processor and memory hog?

I have a spare PC that I could install it on, but I'd like to hear more from others before I make the effort.

There are 32 and 64 bit versions of the software.  I installed the 32 bit.

My comment about the XP machine is a lot of people have XP machines with anywhere from an old P4 processor all the way up to core duo 2s with a gig or so of memory.  I wouldn't run Windows 7 with anything less than 2  gigs of memory and a core duo 2 processor (or the AMD equiv).  If you have a machine that can run Vista then it will run Windows 7.  If you are like many people, who have been sitting on Windows XP for years now and your pc is 4+ years old, I wouldn't recommend putting Windows 7 on it.  Not unless of course you wanted to beef up the memory.  Even then, I think it would be time for new hardware anyways.

As far as use of the 64 bit arch, you have to take a look at the software you use.  Most software is optimized to run in 32 bit generally speaking.  So for the general user I think the 64 bit version mainly would be to address how much memory you would like to be able to toss (and use) in your machine.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »
Ok, that answers the question, someone threw out a Dell with a P4.  I'm not sure about how much memory is in it, but performance isn't that big a deal for me, since I primarily use my PC for accessing the internet, and most the problems I encounter come from the servers as opposed to my PC. Thus far, XP continues to work for me and meet my needs.

Having been a tech for years in a large corporation that had money to burn, even they wouldn't upgrade immediately. Not because of the cost, but concerns about stability, reliability and security, not to mention validation thanks to Governmental requirements.

If it doesn't represent a significant improvement it makes no sense to do it, which is why Vista was such a flop.  XP was a big leap forward from NT.  How would you compare Windows 7 with XP based on reliability and internet security?  I know it's very early, but does 7 appear to have stronger defense against Viruses and spyware built in, or are we still going to have to rely on anti-virus software?

I still use Avast and it works. But whenever it is updated, my PC freezes. It happens at some inopportune times.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »
Ok, that answers the question, someone threw out a Dell with a P4.  I'm not sure about how much memory is in it, but performance isn't that big a deal for me, since I primarily use my PC for accessing the internet, and most the problems I encounter come from the servers as opposed to my PC. Thus far, XP continues to work for me and meet my needs.

Having been a tech for years in a large corporation that had money to burn, even they wouldn't upgrade immediately. Not because of the cost, but concerns about stability, reliability and security, not to mention validation thanks to Governmental requirements.

If it doesn't represent a significant improvement it makes no sense to do it, which is why Vista was such a flop.  XP was a big leap forward from NT.  How would you compare Windows 7 with XP based on reliability and internet security?  I know it's very early, but does 7 appear to have stronger defense against Viruses and spyware built in, or are we still going to have to rely on anti-virus software?

I still use Avast and it works. But whenever it is updated, my PC freezes. It happens at some inopportune times.

XP to Windows 7 is a significant improvement.  Vista to Windows 7 doesn't seem to be a big jump at all.  It just seems marketed better and some issues were addressed.  It is not like gong from Windows 98 to XP though.

Can't really comment on reliability since some of the apps I use on a regular basis do not work in Windows 7 (at least those versions)  From just a basic surfing/playing around stand point it was pretty smooth. 

I don't know if Windows 7 itself has any additional protection other than Microsoft has changed the way user accounts work/operate since Windows XP.  Though that is something they changed in Vista.  I have not fully played around with security settings to say for sure though.  I will keep you up to date on that as the weeks pass.    Microsoft just released their own FREE anti-virus software last week so I think that answers your question if you will need to rely on an anti-virus.  The answer is def YES.  Improvements in IE8 and Firefox do help curb the spread of spyware but nothing is perfect.  Ive never been one to get spyware due to my surfing habits anyways.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Well, XP really shouldn't be compared to NT, but to ME and Windows 98.  From each of those, it was a HUGE upgrade.

I've not played with Windows 7 much yet, but I've played with Vista on my main workstation at work.  Vista isn't bad, and when used appropriately, it isn't unstable.  But it is EXTREMELY cumbersome.  And there are a few places where Microsoft tripped over themselves in releasing inferior code to that of XP, and a couple of cases where they didn't have a Vista solution while an XP solution existed.

My most major objections to Vista are:  1)  change in the way reverse DNS zones are broken down (VISTA PLAIN SUCKS AT THIS), 2) unavailabily of certain drivers (most notably, my Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball), 3) delayed release of Exchange tools, 4) lack of support of older DFS tools, WINS tools, etc., 5) difficulty and more levels involved in getting to things such as my network card settings, and 6) inability to run WordPerfect 2000.  (Okay, that last is being unreasonably picky, but WordPerfect is still a far superior product to Microsoft Word, and as long as I can run it before being forced to upgrade, I'm going to.)

Stability has not been a problem for me, but if I had it to do over, I would NOT have upgraded - just to keep my old DNS tools.  As it is, I run them in an XP virtual machine running in VMware Workstation on my Vista box.

I'll be glad to convert to Windows 7 - just as soon as I have the time required to do the build-up.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »

My most major objections to Vista are:  1)  change in the way reverse DNS zones are broken down (VISTA PLAIN SUCKS AT THIS),

I don't know if that was addressed.  I'll have to check.

They have changed the way it handles networks though.  You can create profiles based on where you are at.  It recognizes (after configuration) if you are at home or in the office.  Maybe they addressed this flaw at the same time.

2) unavailabily of certain drivers (most notably, my Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball),

This is one thing they really went out of there way to address.  Not only is there more driver support but if there is not a driver from Microsoft you will be sent to a page that has a list of drivers from the manufacturers.

3) delayed release of Exchange tools,

Addressed but only because it had been in Vista

4) lack of support of older DFS tools, WINS tools, etc.,

I thought the lack of WINS support had to do with Microsoft's stance that is ancient and not used by most people/organizations.

5) difficulty and more levels involved in getting to things such as my network card settings,

Still the same.

and 6) inability to run WordPerfect 2000.  (Okay, that last is being unreasonably picky, but WordPerfect is still a far superior product to Microsoft Word, and as long as I can run it before being forced to upgrade, I'm going to.)

In Ultimate, which is what I installed, they did have a Windows XP Virtual Machine (or I should say shell) for such issues.  I didn't get to use this fully though.  I am planning on playing with it this week to see how well it works because there are a number of applications I know will not run in 7 that I like to use.  HOPEFULLY it is not slow or else it would be a cool feature that will get crippled by user frustration.

Stability has not been a problem for me, but if I had it to do over, I would NOT have upgraded - just to keep my old DNS tools.  As it is, I run them in an XP virtual machine running in VMware Workstation on my Vista box.

I'll be glad to convert to Windows 7 - just as soon as I have the time required to do the build-up.

I don't think stability is going to be an issue with Windows 7 because it really is Vista2.  Most of the stability issues you have when going to a brand new OS have been addressed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:22:23 AM by westkoast »