Author Topic: Predictions at the start of camp ... part two.  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Predictions at the start of camp ... part two.
« on: October 01, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
6th-Man

Call me crazy, but I think Manu Ginobili is healthy this year, and wins the award - that is, if he doesn't start.

ROY

I'm not a huge fan of Blake Griffin, so I'll pass, but Jonny Flynn can light it up, so he's the choice here.

Coach of the Year

Will Jerry Sloan ever get some love?  Not from me.  Not this year, anyway.  Rick Carlisle leads the Mavs to a great year.

Defensive Player of the Year

I love Dwight Howard, so I'm going with a repeat defender.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Predictions at the start of camp ... part two.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »
Have to agree that the Lakers are the favorites at the start. No team out west did enough to close the gap, but I do think that San Antonio may have done enough to earn the 2nd seed over Denver.

In the East, I think Orlando took a step back, VC may be better than Hedo as a scorer, but Hedo made Orlando a better team with his passing and his eclectic style. Cleveland tried to do something by bringing in Shaq, but at this point in his career, not enough to close the gap with LA. Boston is still very uncertain, they made an effort but Wallace is also too old to make a substantial difference. For all the money these teams spent, going over the cap, they didn't add enough. Frankly, I'm surprised that the writers are giving these teams the benefit of the doubt, they all have a lot to prove this season and may all underperform expectations.

Atlanta has all but been given the 4th seed in the East, and I think that this is also a mistake. Miami made a run towards the end of the season, but didn't do enough to convince me that they can secure the final home court spot, either.

Washington, if Arenas is healthy could make more of a run and enjoy a return to plus .500 ball. And so could Toronto.

I find it very amusing that none of the writers think the Sixers will do anything except fall back. They dropped Andre Miller and got back a healthy Elton Brand and a new (better) coach. IMO, the Sixers will be better this season than last and may actually challenge the top three teams in the East. At very least they should beat out Atlanta, Washington and Toronto for the 4th seed. They would have placed 4th last season even without Brand, if Thad Young wasn't injured. Lou Williams is much quicker than Andre Miller and just as good at getting to the line. Defensively, they should be better than they were last season. No team in the East matches their athleticism. If they can integrate Brand into their offense, they will present a significant challenge to the EC favorites.

Since no one gives the Sixers a chance, if they do end up pushing the top 3 seeds in the EC,
Eddie Jordan will get COY honors.

Have to wait to see who starts and who doesn't to make a guess on 6th man award.  LeBron should get the MVP award, hands down. He can't carry a team by himself against a good team, but no-one else can match him in the NBA.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
Collusion continued, a tough economy needing more profits, payment arrangments being made to replacement refs, Jameer Nelson being resigned, away games requiring the grueling travel to Staples Center to face the always tough Clippers, the Khloe and Lamar Skankdashian show needing a ratings boost, assistant coaches like Tex Winters, Greg Popvich and Stan Van Gundy, yeah you gotta like the Lakers chances of repeating.  ;)

and Real Fans like msc in attendance make the deal complete.  ;)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »
I'm really curious to see what Portland is going to do.
Word is other GMs considered GM Pritchards "hands off" order about Darius Miles to be a real turn off and now will make his trading life miserable.  Also the reason Nate Mc not so keen on Pritchard?

OTOH, no denying Pritchards trade record.  True that in 2005 he recommended the Blazers draft Chris Paul at #3 but was overuled and the pick was traded to the Jazz?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »
Back to using the ignore function.

6th Man:  I have to say Manu as well.  There really is not a better 6th man when he is healthy.

ROY: Blake Griffin is a runaway for this one.  Only way he doesn't get it is if he suffers an injury.

Coach Of The Year:  Nate McMillan, If he can get his young squad to learn from their mistakes last year and improve they are going to be a sleeper that are going to sneak up on teams towards the end of the year.

DOP: Ron Artest, not a homer pick either.  Just think he will get so much coverage for his defense because of the market he is in that he will be on the people's minds come voting time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »

6th Man:  I have to say Manu as well.  There really is not a better 6th man when he is healthy.

ROY: Blake Griffin is a runaway for this one.  Only way he doesn't get it is if he suffers an injury.

Coach Of The Year:  Nate McMillan, If he can get his young squad to learn from their mistakes last year and improve they are going to be a sleeper that are going to sneak up on teams towards the end of the year.

DOP: Ron Artest, not a homer pick either.  Just think he will get so much coverage for his defense because of the market he is in that he will be on the people's minds come voting time.

Wolvie you've only been in MNfor what, a year?  Yet your going with the homer pick! I love it!  ;)

By the way, if you ever make it up to the cities let me know.  I have a Y guest pass waiting for you and we'll see what kind of game you've got.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »
By the way, if you ever make it up to the cities let me know.  I have a Y guest pass waiting for you and we'll see what kind of game you've got.

You got it.  It's kinda hard right now, because I've got days off during the week, but in the near future - say, the next few weeks - I might be getting off the weekends, so I'll let you know.  Maybe we could catch a Pups game ... oops, Wolves game, too.   ;)
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »

We agree on all three.  :o

Good Lord you are making sense!  I think it will be DHoward but wowsers are you making sense.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
NBA Champs:  LA Lakers repeat, beating the Cavaliers.

MVP:  The voters will select LeBron James.  My selection is Dwight Howard.

MIP:  Randy Foye.  He'll be a natural fit in Washington under Saunders alongside Butler, Jamison, and Arenas.

6th Man:  I'm going with Jason Terry - but Shawn Marion might take the title.

ROY:  I'm going with a shocker here - Tyreke Evans.  I think he's going to get a big chance to shine in Sacramento.  The team will be horrible, but he'll do great.  And given that none of the top picks are playing on a team that figures to make any noise (unless you believe in the Oklahoma City Sonics...er...Thunder), playing on a bad team isn't going to hurt him.

COY:  Flip Saunders in Washington, although Rick Carlisle in Dallas should figure heavily in the running.

DPOY:  A lighter, leaner Tim Duncan.

All-NBA team:  Wade, Bryant, James, Duncan, Howard
All-Defense:  Duncan, Bryant, Deron Williams, Howard, Battier

My MVP criteria (achievements needed to assure eligibility):
Bryant:  Lakers need the best record in the league, or best record in the West plus scoring title
James:  Cavaliers need the best record in the league, or best record in the East plus scoring title
Garnett:  Celtics need the best record in the East, 20/10.
Howard:  Magic need the #1 or #2 record in the East, plus either shot-blocking or rebounding title
Nowitzki:  Dallas needs to win division, plus have second-best record in the West, top 5 in scoring
Duncan:  San An needs to win division, plus have second-best record in the West, 20/10, top 5 in either rebounding or shot-blocking
Roy:  Portland needs to win the division, plus have no less than the third-best record in the West, Roy needs upward of 25 ppg.
Wade:  Miami needs to win division, plus Wade needs to figure in the scoring race (although he doesn't need to win it)
Pierce:  Celtics need the best record in the East, Pierce needs to be top 10 in scoring.
Paul:  #2 record in division, plus 20/10.  Numbers can be lower if record is higher.

Basically, I'm saying I don't think any of these things is going to happen (other than the obvious - that LA or Cleveland will have the best record in the league).  In the event they do, then you've got an MVP candidate.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 03:43:06 PM »
COY - Adelman - he'll get much praise for performing 'without' his stars...might not be deserve but I think if they get into the playoffs he'll get too much praise (and I think they will)

ROY - who ever puts up the most points per game with the most minutes - not sure most voters look past that.

All Defense - won't predict - but Iguodala will lack any recognition again :)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
Agreed that Iguodala won't get any All-Defense recognition.  Also agreed that he should get SOME All-Defense recognition.  Don't think he should be ahead of Battier at that 2/3 spot, but should be in the mix after that.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Agreed that Iguodala won't get any All-Defense recognition.  Also agreed that he should get SOME All-Defense recognition.  Don't think he should be ahead of Battier at that 2/3 spot, but should be in the mix after that.

Iguodala reportedly will be a '2' this year so we'll see...i'm not talking first team, I mean I know that's impossible since first team is usually about pre season hype/established rep as a defender...just looking for the guy to get SOME recognition :)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »
How the heck left the service door open?  Frigging rif raf...  ;D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »
Champs  - Cavs  Artest will hurt more than he helps

MVP  -  Lebron

ROY  -  Blake Griffen

Coach of the Year  -  Flip Saunders.  Washington is primed for the biggest overall improvement from last with everybody healthy, and adding Foye, and Miller.

MIP  -  Greg Oden  homer pick maybe, but if he develops any consistency and avoids fouls then huge improvement is almost a given

6th man - It is Manu, Terry or Odom.  Manu can't seem to stay healthy, and I heard Khloe Kardashian has put Lamar on a strict Good & Plenty free diet, so his performance will surely drop.  I am going with Terry.

DPY  -  Superman
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

Only thing I expect for Iguodala is a back-up All-Star spot, behind Wade. Only thing that would change that is the Sixers leading their division into the break, something that would be a huge surprise. If he does get that All-Star slot though, it's not inconceivable for him to get some defensive recognition. He won't be as ignored this year, being featured in a Sneaker commercial.