Author Topic: NFL Would someone please kidnap Norv Turner?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL Would someone please kidnap Norv Turner?
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
And GM AJ Smith.

Return them safely after competent replacements have been secured.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NFL Would someone please kidnap Norv Turner?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:00:25 PM »
I think Marty Schottenheimer is available as an interim.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
 :D :D

The last of the diehard "14-2" squakers are still around San Diego.
I guess they are in denial over the number "zero".  As in number of playoff win The Shot amassed in S.D.

My choice after Shot got himself canned was Mike Singletary.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
Would San Diego fans please stop being so delusional?  lol

Every single year I have to hear from Chargers fans how good the team is, how much talent they have, and some bs excuse on why the previous year they failed.  Every single year the same junk happens.  You can only blame coaches for so long.  Time for fans to stop being delusional and for the entire front office to be smacked around.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »

Every single year I have to hear from Chargers fans how good the team is, how much talent they have, and some bs excuse on why the previous year they failed.  Every single year the same junk happens.  You can only blame coaches for so long.  Time for fans to stop being delusional and for the entire front office to be smacked around.

Do you know much about football?  Isn't it clear how the talent on the Chargers does NOT equate to success on the field?  Great individual stats but lousy team success.  IMO they need a coaching change, they need some type of attitude adjustment.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:39 PM »

Do you know much about football?  Isn't it clear how the talent on the Chargers does NOT equate to success on the field?  Great individual stats but lousy team success.  IMO they need a coaching change, they need some type of attitude adjustment.

Miguel, I know you want so badly to flex your 'supreme football knowledge' at any chance you get.  What I was saying, which that they have a great team on paper but always suck, is what you are saying.  So not quite sure why you want to pose the 'Do you know much about football' question.  Save it for Rick.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
I think Marty Schottenheimer is available as an interim.

Schottenheimer is quickly turning into football's version of Gene Mauch.

The fact of the matter is that if you've got a good coach that just can't get you success in post-season, but gets you great success in the regular season, the smart thing to do isn't fire the coach, but get the coach some training.  Why is it only the players a team expects to improve?

Grab a couple of great coaches for the front office as consultants.  Have them review the coach's choices, and analyze mistakes.  Then work with the coach to correct those mistakes.

This is one place where the NBA is light-years ahead of other leagues.  Folks like Del Harris, Phil Johnson, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Tex Winter, etc. have worked in assistant roles, working to improve their head coaches.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »
Joe,
Sounds great.  If you can get head coach to accept the help he needs.  After the 14-2 playoff disaster loss, Bolts were finally recovering from the pain and trying to focus on 2008.  Smart ass Shottenheimer sat and watched and then tried bringing his brother in to be Defensive Coordinator.  His brother has a very poor record as a defensive back and otherwise assistant coach.  He tried that earlier with the Bolts and was clearly told, "don't ever try that again."  Very obvious in retrospect he was trying to get himself fired and get the *free* 4 million buyout.  He is the greatest rebuilder in NFL history, i am surprised no one made him an offer post San Diego but i think that is because he schemed all along to retire after this brother fiasco.

And in fact, the 14-2 year Shottenheimer snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in week 5 when the Bolts dominated a game but lost in the end Martyball style 16-13 to the Ravens to drop to 3-2.  Charger owners the Spanos family did indeed order Shottenheimer to turn the offense over completely to Cam Cameron.  Which he did and S.D. rattled of 11 straight wins.  In the playoffs vs Pat tho Marty usurped that plan and overuled Cameron with some classic Marty big game idiot calls to ensure the loss.

Yeah I'd love it if incompetent playoff coaches would accept help.  I may have mentioned and i know i can say this safely to you without a juvinile respose, if Popavich would accept an excellent O coach like Phil does with Tex.....

This Sundays Bolt loss with Norv Turner failing to alert QB Rivers that the game clock was frozen while the ball was at the 6 inch line.  Think Belichek, Cowler, Dungy, any other SuperBowl coach would fail to have his crew get that info to their QBs headset?  Not a chance.  Then with 10 seconds left before half he fails to take one more shot at the end zone and kicked a field goal on 3rd down instead.  That is coaching westkoast, or lack thereof.

Triva Qs
Phillip Rivers had 436 yards in the loss.

1.  When was the last time a coach had his QB throw for 436 or more yards and lose?
2.  Throw for 436+ yards and get 26 points or less?
3.  What is the historic W-L record of teams in games when their QB threw for 436+?

I don't know the answers to these yet.  Will be interesting to see where Norvball falls.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:16:17 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »

Miguel, I know you want so badly to flex your 'supreme football knowledge' at any chance you get.  What I was saying, which that they have a great team on paper but always suck, is what you are saying.  So not quite sure why you want to pose the 'Do you know much about football' question.  Save it for Rick.

Unlike my 'supreme basketball knowledge', my 'supreme football knowledge' is based soley on spreadsheets.  I don't make excuses for the Chargers, let alone BS excuses, what I see in SD is a lack of a winning mentality, tradition?, and it translates into mediocre results.  They have a top 5/10 QB, top 5 TE, top 10 RB, top 5 kicker, and a decent receiving core and yet they don't win much.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 02:12:40 AM »
They have a top 5/10 QB, top 5 TE, top 10 RB, top 5 kicker, and a decent receiving core and yet they don't win much.

I think you hit the nail on the head, WOW - albeit unintentionally.  This team's defense lacks impact DEFENSIVE players.

Jamal Williams is old, and now out for the season.  That's only the single most important position in the 3-4 defense.

Shawne Merriman's play has been lackluster, at best, since his return from injury, and the team can't generate a pass rush.

The team's first-rounder this past draft - linebacker Larry English - remains third of the depth chart.

The offense isn't the problem.  It's that other side of the ball.  The one that usually wins championships.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
The offense isn't the problem.  It's that other side of the ball.  The one that usually wins championships.
Defense sucks too, most notably Cromarte and yes the obvious lack of pass rush.
But Merriman did have a key 4th qtr sack and the O was set up perfectly for the win.

Offense had 1st and goal inside the 10 on 4 different occasions vs Baltimore.  One was 1st and 6 inches.  They got zero touchdowns.  0-4.
Yes, the offense is a problem.
Charger starting receivers will not fight for a ball.  Will not extend arms in traffic, will not jump in traffic, will not fight for ball.  Also will not come back to ball on stops or buttonhooks, giving dbs time to recover.  Couple reserve receivers will, and are doing great in their part time roles.  Malcom Floyn and Nananee will both do all of the above.  Yet they get very little time.
That's coaching, and that's the offense.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:10:46 AM by Reality »

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:16:10 AM »
Defense sucks too, most notably Cromarte and yes the obvious lack of pass rush.
But Merriman did have a key 4th qtr sack and the O was set up perfectly for the win.

Offense had 1st and goal inside the 10 on 4 different occasions vs Baltimore.  One was 1st and 6 inches.  They got zero touchdowns.  0-4.
Yes, the offense is a problem.
Charger starting receivers will not fight for a ball.  Will not extend arms in traffic, will not jump in traffic, will not fight for ball.  Also will not come back to ball on stops or buttonhooks, giving dbs time to recover.  Couple reserve receivers will, and are doing great in their part time roles.  Malcom Floyn and Nananee will both do all of the above.  Yet they get very little time.
That's coaching, and that's the offense.

They scored 26 points against one of the top defenses in the NFL, which is also the biggest reason they couldn't convert in the red zone.  They'll be fine.

The D - which gave up 31 points to the RAVENS OFFENSE - needs fixin'.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:16:25 PM »

Triva Qs
Phillip Rivers had 436 yards in the loss.

1.  When was the last time a coach had his QB throw for 436 or more yards and lose?
2.  Throw for 436+ yards and get 26 points or less?
3.  What is the historic W-L record of teams in games when their QB threw for 436+?

I don't know the answers to these yet.  Will be interesting to see where Norvball falls.
1.  Drew Brees 510 yds vs Cincinnati Nov 2006.
Lost 31-16.  37-of-52, 3 INTs.

Wolfie you are so wrong that the defense had anything to do with Norvalls failure at 1st and goal from the 6 inch line and 1st and goal from the 10 yard line.  Both times the Chargers recieved delay of game penalties.   Way to make that Ravens D work, Norvall!   :D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:29 AM »
Week 5 update.
The Chargers' average of 53.8 yards a game rushing is worst in the league.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »
Week 5 update.
The Chargers' average of 53.8 yards a game rushing is worst in the league.

Dude, you can keep talking about it all you want, but the fact remains you gave up 38 points last night.  That's awful.