Author Topic: Shaqs health  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs health
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
Saw him swimming and then out of the pool vs Michael Phelps on that show of his.
Must say he appeared to be in very good shape.  Not great, but certainly far above average and much better then last year with Phoenix.
Fat%?  I don't know, but it looked like it could have been below 15% for real.

Anybody see the show?  See him get out of the swimming pool? 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shaqs health
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »
Being in shape and durability are not always one in the same.  Shooting a segment for a show is a lot different than playing 82+ games in the NBA.  I don't think this is a good indicator of how he will do on the hard wood.

I've yet to even watch one episode of this show.  Dunno why, I thought it would be entertaining but have not got around to it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
per previously discussed, whatever one wants to say about 2009-10 Shaq, he is an upgrade over Z, esp if he has gotten himself in better shape.
If Brown coaches correctly (huge if), he could rotate Z and Shaq and keep them both relatively fresh.

By rotate i mean not just during games (duh), but have Shaq sit out some back to backs.  Lotta good the best record in the league did them last year and in the East it's not so crucial to win reg season games.  Moronovich is just now this season going to start resting Timmy Dunks on b2bs.  Maybe Brown will follow suit since Popped is his idol coach.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:45:35 AM »
per previously discussed, whatever one wants to say about 2009-10 Shaq, he is an upgrade over Z, esp if he has gotten himself in better shape.
If Brown coaches correctly (huge if), he could rotate Z and Shaq and keep them both relatively fresh.

By rotate i mean not just during games (duh), but have Shaq sit out some back to backs.  Lotta good the best record in the league did them last year and in the East it's not so crucial to win reg season games.  Moronovich is just now this season going to start resting Timmy Dunks on b2bs.  Maybe Brown will follow suit since Popped is his idol coach.

Z's problem had to do with being injured.  He was not durable and he was older.  IF Shaq is able to stay on the floor he will be better.  However Shaq is not that durable and he is just as old so we will have to wait to see.  Rotating them will help but injury is injury.  I don't know if gas will be a problem for them seeing as they tend to get hurt and have time off.

Not playing him on back to backs will depend on how tight the East is.  I don't think the Cavs want to lose too much ground to Orlando and Boston.  There are also teams like the Heat and Wizards would could give them a run for their money as well.  While winning regular season games is not THAT important you also don't want to have to face Boston 4 games at home.  They are very tough on their home court.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »
Key is balance.  Repeat, the Cavs homecourt did them no good last year vs Orlando.

Pat Riles used to tell the Entertainment Lakers to plan on losing 25 games a year.  Seriously.  He didn't want them to battle every single game so as to get burnt out or injured, instead he wanted them peaking at the playoffs.  If they were getting blown out in the early 4th qtr he would pull his Big 3.  Now granted those Lakers played in some of the weakest West Confs of all time, but the point still applies.

Last year 47 wins got you 4th seed in the East.  47 wins got you no playoffs in the West.

To me if limiting minutes and games keeps Z and Shaq in better shape for the playoffs, just secure 4th seed.  Anything better offers itself, fine take it.
No Shaq No Z for playoffs and Cleveland is most likely done.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Key is balance.  Repeat, the Cavs homecourt did them no good last year vs Orlando.

That is because they faced a much better team.  Don't act like home court doesn't matter to teams.  Having the final game on YOUR floor is a major advantage.

Pat Riles used to tell the Entertainment Lakers to plan on losing 25 games a year.  Seriously.  He didn't want them to battle every single game so as to get burnt out or injured,

Why do you just make stuff up?  Saying expecting to lose games is one thing.  You added your own take on why he said that though....

How would a guy who was NOTORIOUS his ENTIRE CAREER for burning players out in tough practices tell them not to play hard 25 games a year?

I know logic is not your forte but try it out in this thread for a minute.

instead he wanted them peaking at the playoffs.  If they were getting blown out in the early 4th qtr he would pull his Big 3.  Now granted those Lakers played in some of the weakest West Confs of all time, but the point still applies.

Many teams do this to prevent injuries, what does this have to do with anything though?  Are you trying to say even Pat Riley rested players?  Ok.

As far as Kareem goes, he played a finesse game.  Much different than Shaq's game. 

I am not quite sure what you are getting at.  Explain in more detail.

Last year 47 wins got you 4th seed in the East.  47 wins got you no playoffs in the West.

Last year you also didn't have Miami and Boston really competing at a high level for most of the season like they will this upcoming year.  This upcoming season is not going to be a mirror image of last year.  And once again, the Cavs don't want to face Boston on their home court for 4 games.  I am telling you that it plays in their favor  to have game 7 on their own floor.

To me if limiting minutes and games keeps Z and Shaq in better shape for the playoffs, just secure 4th seed.  Anything better offers itself, fine take it.
No Shaq No Z for playoffs and Cleveland is most likely done.

Expecting Z and Shaq not to get hurt at any course in this season is like hoping there it would rain more in San Diego.  You can hope all you want but most likely will NOT happen.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:43:51 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »
Pat Riles used to tell the Entertainment Lakers to plan on losing 25 games a year.  Seriously.  He didn't want them to battle every single game so as to get burnt out or injured,

Why do you just make stuff up?  Saying expecting to lose games is one thing.  You added your own take on why he said that though....

How would a guy who was NOTORIOUS his ENTIRE CAREER for burning players out in tough practices tell them not to play hard 25 games a year?

I know logic is not your forte but try it out in this thread for a minute.

LOL!  He's still a moron, the "Ignore" feature ROCKS!   I've heard Magic, B. Scott, Cooper, and Worthy all say the same exact thing about Riles running practices like they were a playoff game.  They all stated Riley worked them very hard in practice and the real games were actually easier.  Now this foolio makes up a "25 loss game plan"?    :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"